As someone who has never played any Kingdom Hearts and has just bought a PS3...

...how necessary is it that I play Kingdom Hearts? I always hear people rave about it, but I know very little about it.

I always was a FF fan in the past, is this very similar? (Sorry if that's a dumb question, I know it's by Square, but still.)

With the KH HD 1.5 mix, is it worth me starting out and getting it, or is KH a series fuelled by nostalgia and not really that great?

Thanks in advance all!

...how necessary is it that I play Kingdom Hearts? I always hear people rave about it, but I know very little about it.

I always was a FF fan in the past, is this very similar? (Sorry if that's a dumb question, I know it's by Square, but still.)

With the KH HD 1.5 mix, is it worth me starting out and getting it, or is KH a series fuelled by nostalgia and not really that great?

Thanks in advance all!

I'm also like the OP but i'm not a FF fan. I like some other JRPG's though. Is this series really that great?

And why is it that great if you answered yes?

I would say that it's a good game. I'm not a JRPG fan (it's taking me forever to play through FFVII) but I am a Disney geek and I've been a fan of the series since the first one came out back in '02 and I'm looking forward to playing the game again.

I don't think the series is popular because it's "fueled by nostalgia" but because it has good likable characters and interesting and really confusing story.

that's my opinion and someone might have a different one then I do and that's cool. We all have diffrent taste but I would suggest getting it or if you don't want to pay the $40 rent/barrow it or maybe watch a little bit of the walk though on YouTube and see if it interest you or not.

As a huge Kingdom hearts fan my first response to this post YES of course you should try it. The game is extremely nostalgic for me but it's not the reason people think this game is so good. Hell the first time you play the game you'll probably feel nostalgic from all the Disney characters you meet (assuming you had a childhood). I think that it's hard to say if everyone would like the unusual mix of franchises but if it caught your eye you should try it.

This game..... I don't know how I can describe it. A pure and incredible adventure that is easily addicting and very lovable. Hours of enjoyment. A plot that has its twists and trn throughout each game.

Overall, it is a gem of Playstation history. GET IT!

Thanks in advance all!

If you watched Disney movies when you were younger your inner child will definitely enjoy the game and with cameo appearances from your favorite FF characters it adds to it. The overall gameplay is fun, its hard for me to personally explain maybe its just preference.

At the price of $40 I say give it a shot, it isn't a highly praised game for no reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I'm not the first one who's going to be new to the series on the PS3, but it certainly looks like a very interesting game. From what I remember when I was younger, it definitely had an anime feel to it, and the songs they played during the commercials were great and memorable. Now with the Kingdom Hearts III announcement for the PS4, I feel that it's about time that I get started with the series.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm barely a Disney fan and a huge FF fan and this is one of my favorite games so yeah. It gets even better in KHII.

What other game can you see Leon (Squall Leonheart) and Cloud Strife fighting back-to-back (literally) and have a quick but of humor?

Take the dive. Doubt you'll regret it.

I'm barely a Disney fan and a huge FF fan and this is one of my favorite games so yeah. It gets even better in KHII.

What other game can you see Leon (Squall Leonheart) and Cloud Strife fighting back-to-back (literally) and have a quick but of humor?

Take the dive. Doubt you'll regret it.

Since this is also the Final Mix version, you'll also see Cloud and Sephiroth fight! :applause:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes, I believe you should try it. A lot of people look at Kingdom Hearts like "child's game" but it is not. It has a lot of final fantasy characters and disney characters alike. The battle system is really good considering, but like every game is slow in the beginning. You do not have to be a fan, but you will enjoy the series as a whole. Personally, I love Kingdom Hearts and think it is seriously underrated.

Yes, I believe you should try it. A lot of people look at Kingdom Hearts like "child's game" but it is not. It has a lot of final fantasy characters and disney characters alike. The battle system is really good considering, but like every game is slow in the beginning. You do not have to be a fan, but you will enjoy the series as a whole. Personally, I love Kingdom Hearts and think it is seriously underrated.

Especially when you play KH2 and BBS, you realise how dark the story actually is in reality.