Gamespot gives this a 5.0 ...

DonChipotle

Killer Is Dead Review - GameSpot.com

is the game really what they say in the review? i know that frigging gamespot hates everything that isn't a mmorpg or made in america, but is the game that bad? i wanna get it because i got hyped weeks ago by the trailer, and because its suda51 come on!

anyone can tell me if the game its worth buying or rent or to avoid completely ?

Killer Is Dead for PlayStation 3 Reviews - Metacritic

Remember that it's just one review. Funny how a lot of games where critics give a low-average score, the majority of users rate it higher and vice versa.

Yes. There are a lot of reasons. The reviewer at Gamestop didn't really play the game on hard difficulty. It is not a button masher, like it is on easy. Bayonetta had the same problems this game has. This is a niche title. Those who like Suda51 games will buy early and review well. Those who don't should not even be reviewing it. And if you are not willing as a North American to judge a game that is culturally Japanese, you should not be reviewing it. Just my opinion. I have trouble following stories in some Asian movies, too, especially horror, just as I do in this game. It's a fun game to play, though.

Suda51 is a rare one that does not cave to pressure from reviewers, publishers or gamers to make the game they want. He makes the game he wants to make. If you like the other ones, you will most likely enjoy this one.

Well, thats the reason I stopped reading "major" gaming sites reviews a long time ago. They sometimes give low reviews to good games, and high reviews to bad games. Sometimes it looks like their opinion is bias. Like if they are getting paid to give good reviews.

I prefer to hear what friends said, or read reviews from people that actually played the game. like in here (ps3trophies.org). I find more honest reviews here than in IGN for example.

That being said.

This game is defenetly NOT a button smasher. Its like saying God of War is a button smasher. The game is awesome.

If you are not planning in getting all the trophies, then the game is short.

The main story is just 12 episodes. BUT there are a lot of side missions and challenges to keep you entertain after you beat the main story.

Right now I am on my 3rd play of the main story (to get the difficulty trophies) and I am not bored at all. I am enjoying it.

:)

i gave this game a 10/10 haha i love suda51 games... my favourite developer.

its funny reading bad reviews where people havent even played the game twice lmao and ppl complaining gigolo mode is sexist... like stfu.

nowadays there is a lot of ...how to call it...maybe..."offended people" with "sexy" women or how women look in video games (same as how people sometimes still get offended with women's looks in comics).

Somehow a boobie here or there is EVIL...but decapitating someone or evicerinting someone (like in mortal kombat) is OK.

Just to be clear I am not agains any boobie or decapitation. LOL

No censorship!

Actually I gotta agree with the review on this game. The only thing this game has going for it is (imo) it's cool presentation and decent soundtrack. The story is just confusing and unrewarding and the characters, while colourful, are paper thin.

The combat is also not very good. Enemies often completely ignore your attacks while Mondo often flat out ignores dodging/blocking commands.

There is also absolutely no bonus content to speak of. Everything you unlock in the shop is for Gigolo Mode. However, after you obtained the 3 Sub weapons from it there is no point in replaying the missions. Maybe there is something I don't see but I doubt it. The 4 costumes you actually can use in the game on the other hand are just too expensive. It's like a carrot on a stick, but the stick reaches to the surface of Mars... and the carrot is starting to rot. I really don't see the motivation there :think:

I think it's worth renting it in order to see whether you like the combat system or not and then waiting for a price drop. It's just not worth full price.

I loved the game. The combat mechanics are fine for me, liked the story, which is very Suda style and to better understand it you should be high on acids or something. Too bad I don´t use them.

The only thing I really hated is the graphic style.

I don´t know if ti´s my TV problem or else, but 90% of the game looks like a marine blue blur on the screen, specially on dark enviroments. It is not something artistic like Okami, nor it is well designed like Borderlands. It´s just a mess, bad taste choice for the graphics.

nowadays there is a lot of ...how to call it...maybe..."offended people" with "sexy" women or how women look in video games (same as how people sometimes still get offended with women's looks in comics).

specially the guy chief editor from gamespot always complains about sexual themes, its a shame that he doesnt understand that this isnt a frigging real life simulator or something like that, even metal gear games that are "combat realistic based games" have some sort of fan service.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If I were you, I wouldn't trust reviewers when it comes to games like this, especially Gamespot. Gamespot is owned by Gamestop, so they tend to give bad scores to games that aren't made by major developers.

This game was really fun. The story was weird and schizophrenic, but that's basically all Suda51 games. The gameplay was really fun though. It's really smooth, there's a lot of variety, and there are a good amount of unlockables too.

If I were you, I wouldn't trust reviewers when it comes to games like this, especially Gamespot. Gamespot is owned by Gamestop, so they tend to give bad scores to games that aren't made by major developers.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/284/2/7/regular_show__modecai_and_rigby_shocked__vector__by_100latino-d6q2hfb.png

damn it! i didnt know that! damn now ill have to check other game sites for reviews, it usd to be cool, but since they flopped with the RE6 review i kinda lost trust in them

I usually scrape up reviews from a few different sites and then judge for myself.

This game deserved no less than a 6.0--It'd personally get a 7.0 from me. Just for it's fantastic art direction, amazing soundtrack and fun--rewarding combat. You're rewarded for combo bonuses + working your way into enemy executions as you get health experience, blood experience, health itself or moon crystals for leveling up abilities. I also quite enjoyed the sound effects as a whole. The blade swings and the sounds of it tearing through your enemies flesh, it makes this ungodly _GUSH_ noise that is hard to forget. Also the little HAW-HEEO-HAW-HEEO symphony that plays when you burst cut an enemy. It never gets old.

The hard to understand story and the obvious issue with sexism were overshadowing everything good about the game. If you take those gigolo missions seriously--I feel bad for you. They weren't MEANT to be taken seriously. Again, I can't specifically say this for certain but there was a delightful post by a woman who works at xseed over at neogaf, I'm not sure I could dig it up as I write this but... she basically defended the game in a manner that was respectable.

Mechanically speaking, the game had a few things bringing it down too. Camera issues and bad design choices regarding enemy explosions (when they explode theres a dark gray purpleish cloud that appears making it very hard to see anything where it happened)

There's also too many filler levels. 1, 2, 5, 8, and 11 are all "filler" stages and very story driven. Considering there's only 12 main episodic stages, plus one DLC stage that makes the only "real" levels 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, and 51. An 8:5 ratio. Some good sub missions made up for it as most of them are either combat focused or objective focused.

TLDR I think reviewers are god damn stupid, this game has its problems but nothing nearly as bad as people made it out to be.

• 6 months later...

Old topic, but I only recently bought, played and beat it. I checked out some reviews just out of curiosity, 'cuz as with all Suda51 games, I didn't like it at first, but once I unlocked more abilities, the game really opened up. And, by the end, I loved it.

The combat is fast, stylish and visceral and always felt rewarding when you pulled off some really cool combos. It was fairly simple, but at the same time, FAR from what GameSpot called it. I always felt like if I died, it was all my fault. And, really the only way I could knock it was the lack of lock-on. It messed me up once or twice, but once I got a feel for it, as well as the Adrenaline Rush, it all came together.

Aside from that, the story made sense once you put the pieces together. Mondo had amnesia, it would have taken you out of the player/character experience if you knew everything before the main character did. Also, there's hints and nods you can catch once you play through it again. For instance, <spoiler>if you look at the first character you control very closely, you can see its actually David, not Mondo.</spoiler>

As for the Gigolo Missions... entirely optional.

I think perhaps the icing on the cake, is the GameSpot reviewer, Mark Walton, who reviewed Killer Is Dead with a 5, gave DmC: Devil May Cry an 8.

On top of that, even after he calls the game "uncomfortably seedy" at times, he goes onto give GTAV a spot in his top 10 of 2013. Doesn't that game have hookers, sex scenes and other raunchy stuff? Avoidable as well, but I guess it just depends on whether its in a low budget game like KiD, or in a blockbuster you have no choice but to rate a 9 or 10.

tl;dr GameSpot is like the comics section of the newspaper... only worth a laugh.

• 1 year later...

When I'm super pissed off with it I could go as low as giving this game a 3, ain't no-one got time for some of those bullshit trophies, especially if it involves completing that fucking combo challenge 3. Realistically though, with a clear head, as far as gameplay goes a 5 is harsh. I wouldn't rate it higher than a 7 personally; It was a little short, and had quite a few glaring problems like lock-on (I mean seriously, WTF?), and outside the main game getting AAA rankings and those Scarlett challenges were brutally unforgiving and immensely frustrating, but overall I've seen much worse games get better scores.

Reasonable points aside, the game gets a 1/10 from me for fucking up my childhood and forcing me to butcher an effigy of Thomas the Tank Engine. D;

Edited by Epiternal

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got it from PSN because it was ridiculously cheap. I loved the other Suda 51 games, but I must say this one seems like a right mess. I got past one of the stupidest boss battles I've ever seen and found myself doing something even more nonsensical. The real challenge here seems to be working out what the hell is going on.

Can someone give me a good reason to persist with it? I'd love to have the platinum because I've got all the others.

When I'm super pissed off with it I could go as low as giving this game a 3, ain't no-one got time for some of those bullshit trophies, especially if it involves completing that fucking combo challenge 3. Realistically though, with a clear head, as far as gameplay goes a 5 is harsh. I wouldn't rate it higher than a 7 personally; It was a little short, and had quite a few glaring problems like lock-on (I mean seriously, WTF?), and outside the main game getting AAA rankings and those Scarlett challenges were brutally unforgiving and immensely frustrating, but overall I've seen much worse games get better scores.

Reasonable points aside, the game gets a 1/10 from me for fucking up my childhood and forcing me to butcher an effigy of Thomas the Tank Engine. D;

I feel the same way :(. This game started off really well but it went downhill pretty quickly once I hit the challenges, which are needlessly difficult and some require nanosecond precision timing else you're stuffed. This is one Platinum I would love to have but the amount of BS I have to go through means that is unlikely to happen anytime soon :(.