Karateka - Trophy Guide and Road Map

Xander45

c0xo5ht.jpg

7uwqBXs.png

Estimated Difficulty: 7/10 (100% Difficulty Thread)

Offline Trophies: 12 (7 (B), 4 (S), 1 (G))

Online Trophies: 0

Estimated Time to 100%: 1-10 hours (very skill dependent)

Minimum Number of Playthroughs: 2

Missable Trophies: 8 (Righteous Path, Righteous Victory, Love Conquers All, Path To Mastery, Freedom From Need, Fast Start, Swift Victory, Way of the Karateka)

Glitched Trophies: None

Do cheats disable trophies?: No

Does Difficulty affect trophies?: No

Introduction:

This is a remake of the 1984 side scrolling beat 'em up of the same name, now with a beautiful cell shaded graphical appearance and rhythm based combat this short but sweet game is well worth a look. It's easy to learn but difficult to master! The Princess Mariko has been taken hostage by Akuma and her True Love must save her! If he doesn't make it, I'm sure the princess will have other suitors that are willing to fight for her.

U2SGml4.png

Step 1: Play through the game once, try to defeat Akuma as the Monk.

Firstly, enjoy the journey through this short game. Each playthrough takes around forty minutes, and in this first one just get the feel of things, pick up on the musical hints for how many strikes are incoming, and when to time your blocks.

Try to complete this playthrough taking as little damage as possibl,e and do not press :triangle: near the blue flowers to pick them up. You start as the True Love, and you will need to let him be defeated by the orange robed monk near the end of Palace Gardens section. Then use your new character, the Monk, to defeat the orange robed monk to get a trophy.

If the Monk (your character) is defeated you then become the Brute and you'll need to playthrough the game at least another 2 times to get the trophy for finishing the game with the Monk, unless you use the backup save trick during Step 2. In that case you can reload the last backup just before the fight with Akuma, let the True Love be defeated and then finish the fight with the Monk.

If you wish, you can attempt the speed run trophies in this first playthrough as well. Pressing :circle: lets you skip most cinematics, and all cinematics do add on to your time so skipping them is essential for the Fast Start trophy. You can see how much time has passed in the top right hand corner of the screen after each fight.

In this step you will earn:

(B) Make a Big Splash

(B) Palace Gardens

(B) Palace Gates

(B) Mariko

You can also earn in this step:

(B) Fast Start

(B) Righteous Path

(S) Righteous Victory

(S) Freedom From Need

(B) Swift Victory

Step 2: Have a Perfect Playthrough Taking No Damage

Now this is the tricky one, you need to beat all enemies leading up to Akuma without being hit once. If you didn't get Fast Start and Swift Victory in the last run through aim for it in this one.

See Way of the Karateka in the trophy guide below for a great tip on how to get this trophy and complete this step.

In This Step You Will Earn:

(S) Path To Mastery

(G) Way of The Karateka

You can also earn in this step:

(S) Love Conquers All

Step 3 (If needed): Clean Up

If you missed any of the trophies in the first two Steps, then playthrough the game as many times as necessary to get the few you have remaining.

z6YCH0H.png

Controls:

Whilst the controls are explained very early into the game, I'll run through them here briefly.

:circle: - This is your block button. Pay attention to the sounds made before the enemy attacks; this will tell you how many strikes you'll need to block. Time your button pushes to their attacks to block them. Some bosses do not give you any of these musical hints, so you'll need to learn their attacks and block accordingly. This may take a while to get the hang of.

:square: - After successfully blocking an enemies attacks, you can counter with punches and kicks. This is the punch button.

:triangle: - This is the kick button. Kicks do slightly more damage than punches, but are slower so you can mix and match as you please. You also use this button to gather the power from Mariko's Flowers outside of battle.

:cross: - Next to your health bar (marked as a series of blue arrows in the bottom left of the screen) is a circle that slowly fills up as you successfully block and attack. Once it is full, you can unleash your Chi power by pressing this button. This stuns the enemy and allows you to get off several hits unhindered.

Mariko's Flowers:

Along the side of the road during the game you'll find blue sparkling flowers. If you press :triangle: near the flower, then you will recover some health and fill your Chi gauge slightly.

For the trophy Freedom From Need, you must not use any of these flowers (except the one used in the tutorial). It's best to go for this during your first playthrough, as the extra Chi power will come in handy in your perfect run.

Akuma:

He is very tough and with no musical hints to help you know how many attacks are coming your way, you're going to have to learn through trial and error how his attacks work and the timing of them.

If you are using Vegetollo7's backup save trick (see Way of the Karateka) then the last backup you create should be directly after the cutscene showing Akuma standing up. Using this save, you can come back and fight him over and over again learning his attack patterns. Getting to him without being hit is hard, but defeating him with the True Love once you've got there is no easy feat either! It's easier with the Monk and Brute as their health regenerates over time, but with the True Love, you'll need to block a lot of what he throws at you. You do restore around 3 sections of health after each mini cutscene, but that can easily be knocked back off by a stray hit.

Edited by Terminator
Replaced some missing images and relocated the Introduction.

ZAIbppV.png

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1397/ED6.jpg Make a Big Splash (B)

Defeated the bully on the bridge

This is story related and cannot be missed.

You get this after defeating the large shirtless man on the rope bridge. He's pretty simple to defeat, usually throwing one slow kick or a three hit combo that's easy to block. The musical chimes play before he strikes, so just keep your ears open for them.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1397/F3C.jpg Palace Gardens (B)

Reached the palace garden

You will get this after defeating the boss that you see a cutscene of opening the giant doors. Walk through them into the gardens after beating him, and the trophy pops.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1397/D49.jpg Palace Gates (B)

Reached the palace gates

Once you've made your way through the long undercover bridge and around the cliffside, you'll face two masked guards. Defeat them, and walk through the archway, and you will get a pop up say "Palace Gates +700" The trophy will pop shortly after.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1397/9CC.jpg Righteous Path (B)

Earned the respect of a brother monk

Missable!

You must be playing as the Monk to get this trophy. Near the end of the Palace Gardens section, you will meet a monk in orange robes who will fight you. If you are the monk, he will step aside and let you through when you get his health just below half and the trophy will pop.

If you are still the True Lover at this stage, you will need to let yourself be beaten so the monk replaces him.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1397/575.jpg Mariko (B)

Rescued Mariko from the evil warlord Akuma

Beat Akuma and rescue Mariko! In Akuma's first stage, he only throws combos of three that are quite easily blocked if you time it right, but once you've seen the first cutscene mid battle, he starts bringing out long combos with some pauses between strikes, so watch your timing with your blocks. Also make sure to use your chi attacks (:cross:) whenever you can.

If you die as the True Lover, you will have to start the battle over as the Monk; if you die as the Monk you will have to start the battle over again as the Brute. And if you die as the Brute, you can actually use 3000 of your points to get a continue, and carry on the battle from the stage you were beaten.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1397/CC5.jpg Righteous Victory (S)

Rescued Mariko as the Monk

Missable!

Defeat Akuma as the Monk; this shouldn't be too tricky if you're careful with your timing, as the Monk's health regenerates over time. You start as the True Love and when he is defeated you become the Monk instead.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1397/935.jpg Love Conquers All (S)

Rescued Mariko as the True Love

Missable!

Defeat Akuma as the True Love. This is pretty tricky, the True Love's health does not recover over time, and his attacks don't cause that much damage to Akuma so you'll need to block the vast majority of his attacks. You do recover 3/4 sections of health at both cutscenes mid battle, but they can easily be whittled down by one or two hits from Akuma.

For most, this will be the last trophy in the game you will need.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1397/38A.jpg Path To Mastery (S)

Surmounted the Great Wall without getting hit once

Missable!

You will get this during your perfect run for Way of the Karateka. You must not get hit until you reach the Bamboo Forest, just after the first hawk encounter and subsequent boss fight.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1397/AF4.jpg Freedom From Need (S)

Defeated Akuma without collecting any of Mariko's flowers

Missable!

Complete the game without using the blue flowers. This is best gotten on your first playthrough when you're just going through it, getting a feel for the game. Just play the game as normal but do not press :triangle: near the blue flowers.

The first flower on the bridge that it tells you to use as part of the tutorial does not affect this.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1397/003.jpg Fast Start (B)

Reached the Bamboo Forest in under 5 minutes

Missable!

You'll need to press :circle: to skip most cinematics to get this trophy; cinematics do count as part of your game time, and time is a little tight with this trophy. You can see how long you've taken so far in the top right of the screen after every enemy you defeat. This will pop just after defeating the enemy that takes a drink midway through the fight. It says in under 5 minutes, but I got there at 5 minutes 9 seconds, so there might be a little leeway, but not much!

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1397/122.jpg Swift Victory (B)

Rescued Mariko in under 30 minutes

Missable!

Complete the game in under 30 minutes; this is not hard at all. I got this on my first play through with ease, but if you don't, you'll get it during your Way of the Karateka run for sure.

You can press :circle: to skip most cinematics, and these cinematics do add onto your game time. You can see how long you've taken so far in the top right of the screen after every enemy you defeat.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1397/6DC.jpg Way of the Karateka (G)

Challenged Akuma, untouched by his minions

Missable!

This is the hardest trophy in the game. Get all the way to Akuma without getting hit once.

You need to time your blocks well, listening carefully to the musical hints that tell you how many strikes are coming. Boss Fights are the hardest part, as they don't offer many of the musical hints, so you have to be extra careful. Use your chi attacks as often as possible with bosses, and use the blue flowers to help you get extra chi. If you get hit then you will have to start a new game.

The best way to go for this trophy is to use the backup save method. The game autosaves very frequently, so it's impossible to just back out of the game after being hit and load a previous save without it knowing you've been hit.

Here's the method courtesy of Vegetollo7:

This game uses an autosave feature which can be a blessing, or a curse. So if you are trying a no hit run, you can exploit the save feature. First start a new game and play up to the point after you go through all of the tutorial type fights that explain how to play the game essentially (without getting hit of course).

Wait for the game to autosave, and then go to the pause menu and quit. Quit of the game completely and access your Karateka game save file. Now you simply need to copy your save data and copy it to an external device (USB drive), or copy it to your Cloud Storage (PS Plus). You are creating a backup save data file of sorts.

Now start up your game again, and select the "resume" option from the main menu. You should start at the last point where the game last autosaved. Now simply play through the game and when you complete another flawless fight, let the game autosave and quit the game. Again copy your Karateka save file to an external source. By doing this you, will always have a backup save file that contains game data where the game thinks you haven't been hit. If you ever do get hit during the game simply quit out of the game, go to your save file on the external medium or cloud storage and copy the save data back to your system. This will overwrite the game data on your system and you will now have the save data loaded in which you technically haven't been hit. Start up the game and continue on your quest.

Now you don't necessarily have to save and quit, and re-update your save data after each successful fight. If your good at the game you could easily fight three or four enemies and not get hit before letting the game, save and then quitting out and updating your backup save file.

Overall this entire method can be time consuming at times, especially if you get stuck fighting an enemy that always seems to get a hit on you, but it may be easier in the long run because you won't have to start a new game if you do get hit.

So to sum things up you are basically tricking the game into thinking you haven't been hit by manipulating save files. Hopefully this helps and if you need more clarification let me know. I'm more than willing to give you some step by step directions on how to do this. :)

Edited by Terminator
Replaced a missing banner.

My only suggestion is to leave the Freedom from Need trophy for the second playthrough. On your first time around you'll take a lot of hits so you need as much health as possible to reach the end of the palace gardens with the monk. On your second playthrough, you're not going to take damage so you won't need the flowers anyway.

Other than that, great guide.

Edited by Ruldra

Thanks for the feedback Ruldra :)

For me I needed the extra Chi that you get from the flowers during the second run through to help me win some of the harder fights. I didn't actually complete my first run with the Monk (I lost him during the fight with Akuma) but I managed to get all the way from the orange robed monk to the last fight without many problems even when I skipped the flowers. His health regenerates so I thought that was the best way to go.

I saw in the other thread that you got Way of the Karateka legit :applause: That's pretty amazing! I struggled like you wouldn't believe with that, and I still can't beat Akuma with the True Love :(

• 7 months later...

Xander, thanks so much for the guide! I was looking for one when I first got this game, when it went on sale a while back. The only 2 trophies I need are the hardest ones, Way of the Karateka and true love also, but I did not know about the backup saving on PS3, I heard of it only on 360 though. Glad you figured it out! Now I can finally (cough)beatthegamewithoutgettinghitatall(cough) :)

EDIT: Just got all trophies! What helped the most for getting Way of the Karateka was the back-up save method. Also helped me in getting Love Conquers All, which was really difficult for me, that second form of his, but I managed to get through Akuma's first form with no damage. Those 2 trophies prevented me from 100% till now. I love the ending screen as well for winning with True Love, it reminded me of playing games in the older days. Now I can move on to Rain and Limbo. I might also think of playing the original Karateka, since I liked this one despite the occasional glitches, and getting my health low or dying somehow during cutscenes, lol.

Edited by slyjak

• 8 months later...
Xander, thanks so much for the guide! I was looking for one when I first got this game, when it went on sale a while back. The only 2 trophies I need are the hardest ones, Way of the Karateka and true love also, but I did not know about the backup saving on PS3, I heard of it only on 360 though. Glad you figured it out! Now I can finally (cough)beatthegamewithoutgettinghitatall(cough) :)

EDIT: Just got all trophies! What helped the most for getting Way of the Karateka was the back-up save method. Also helped me in getting Love Conquers All, which was really difficult for me, that second form of his, but I managed to get through Akuma's first form with no damage. Those 2 trophies prevented me from 100% till now. I love the ending screen as well for winning with True Love, it reminded me of playing games in the older days. Now I can move on to Rain and Limbo. I might also think of playing the original Karateka, since I liked this one despite the occasional glitches, and getting my health low or dying somehow during cutscenes, lol.

I totally forgot that I provided the backup save method. Glad to see that the trick has helped out other gamers. :)

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the guide, Xander45! :D Especially for the back-up save trick, for without that, I don't think I could've gotten 100% for this game! :o The first couple of playthroughs were fun, but getting through with the True Love + Without getting hit was a nightmare! :eek: But I'm really glad to have 100% for this now! :cool: Thanks again! :)

Edited by JasperJRPGamer