Can't decide, is this Journey worth $15?

Hashish Kabob

I' was really looking forward to this as it seems to be my kind of game, relaxing with etheral music and amazing visuals. I also loathe online but if there's a high degree of anonymity to it that's awesome, I could probably have 5-8 more plats to my PSN if I didn't avoid the online experience so much.

What I didn't expect was the price point, thought it would be $9.99. I can afford spending the 14.99 (I'm a smoker and a pack of "premium" cigs can go for close to that, and what good do I get out of that?). Also, most of my game purchases are PSN ones as most retail ones as of late leave me less than wowed, and I'm more of an "arcade" style and Indie game fan. I'm hoping Storm and Flower will be part of the spring sale, very much so.

Sorry if I'm not a concise enough writer for you, but for those that have taken the journey, is there a heavy element of co-op, even though it is anonymous to a degree? Multiple playthroughs needed to extend the experience? It's getting insanely high ratings on the psn store from many users, , and it came out mere hours ago. Help me out please, I know there willbe an inevitable price drop sometime, but it just looks and sounds so interesting, but I'm a frugal f'er with my $ and can't decide, I'll sleep on it as they say and see what some of you have to say later, thanks

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Online is a non-factor here because you really just journey alongside other players who look just like you, you have no clue who there are and you don't have to rely on them for anything, as it's not hard to figure out each level.

The game is about 2 hours long overall, I would equate it to playing a movie. I will be playing it multiple times, as you may need a few playthroughs to get all the trophies and because the experience is pretty awesome and the last two chapters are worth it alone. If you're waiting for a price drop, you'll probably be waiting a while... after a single playthrough the $15 didn't bother me. I don't mind paying good money for something that's as well made and interesting as this.

Alright, I'll be downloading it later today, was watching the "making of" video of the orchestral score and that alone almost sold me. If it was a single 2 hr. run I'd ruminate upon it some more, but it's good to hear multiple runs are needed. Will do the 1st solo of course, then sign in to encounter other nameless wanderers, very interesting concept.

I would be waiting a while for a discount likely, I don't recall seeing TGC's other games on sale, probably wrong about that though. Also can't forget to finally grab Limbo, passed on 2 sales but not this time. Thanks all

It's easily 90 mins, i played it through twice and enjoyed it both times. So if you are one that based time/length on value then there is that information.

I think it's worth is in the fact that it is something different/emotional/relaxing/beautiful/fun.. sorry if i am over romanticizing it ha. It was just a great experience, so for me, well worth it.

Edited by JimmyHACK

It's easily 90 mins, i played it through twice and enjoyed it both times. So if you are one that based time/length on value then there is that information.

I think it's worth is in the fact that it is something different/emotional/relaxing/beautiful/fun.. sorry if i am over romanticizing it ha. It was just a great experience, so for me, well worth it.

No man, the way you descibed it pretty much sums it up. To anyone else wondering, don't be put off at first by the price point, this rivals most retail games in a lot of aspects in my view.

Online is a non-factor here because you really just journey alongside other players who look just like you, you have no clue who there are and you don't have to rely on them for anything, as it's not hard to figure out each level.

The game is about 2 hours long overall, I would equate it to playing a movie. I will be playing it multiple times, as you may need a few playthroughs to get all the trophies and because the experience is pretty awesome and the last two chapters are worth it alone. If you're waiting for a price drop, you'll probably be waiting a while... after a single playthrough the $15 didn't bother me. I don't mind paying good money for something that's as well made and interesting as this.

I have to say 50% of the fun are from co-op.

After reading alot of positive things about it I decided to buy it.

Just played through it, took about 70min, so ye it's really short.

I hardly did any exploring though, so I guess there is at least 5-6 more hours worth.

As many have said before, it's worth it even if it's short, really beautiful, I enjoyed every second of it.

I was having the same thoughts too when I 1st saw the price tag-- because I've bought games that price and hated them and thought they were not worth it. But NO, not this one. I'd say it's priced far to low with all the work and effort that is put into this game. It's smooth, beautiful~~ I thought the simplicity was going to upset me--- this game is gorgeous!!! I loved every single second of this game!!! Seriously. It's far better than they make it look. My jaw was wide open every single level I stepped into and this game just flows. :) Love it. Love it.:applause:

Even though this is one of the greatest games of the year, or so I've heard, I still think it's too costy for a 1-3 hours of gameplay. I didn't buy Limbo for that same reason, and I don't think I'll buy it even with a 50% discount.

IMO, of course.

If you liked FLOW and FLOWER by this company THEN this game is beyond both. I told my friend it's like playing Prince of Persia, Shadow Of the Colossus yet with the the feel of FLOW and FLOWER. Just cause it's short does not mean its not good. I have a feeling you will be waiting a few years for the sale of this game, unless you are a PS+ member then that sale might be very soon. lol. Sorry sorry just like this game to much I guess.

from another thread

I thought the way multiplayer was implemented was very interesting because you don't know who you are with. My first run through was with someone else who obviously hadn't been through before either and we had a fantastic shared experience. This game is so damn beautiful and incredible when it was all over we were chatting for a long time over what we had been through.

Died and gone to heaven it felt like. Get this game pronto amigos!

a very easy game to get 100% but you are paying moe for the experience

my top 3 favorite levels (in order of most favorite to least favorite)

1. the "flight" level
  2. the sand surfing level
  3. the "temple" level

from another thread

a very easy game to get 100% but you are paying moe for the experience

my top 3 favorite levels (in order of most favorite to least favorite)

1. the "flight" level
  2. the sand surfing level
  3. the "temple" level

If we are talking fav levels then I think you guessed all of mine as well.. if the "FLIGHT" level = Final Level. The Sunken City level is so much fun-- I wanna say it's way to short too. lol. :) I wanna say the Bridge is pretty awesome too- but I think I just really enjoy the music and the floating in that level. :)