How to do "The Redeemer"

jdh0921

Finally got this one done, here's a quick walkthrough of what I did to finish it. I'd put up a video, but there's two things stopping me. One, I do not know how, and more importantly, I do not care to see this level ever again. :D I put in bold each of the items needed for the pro medal. (except for bolts, as there are not any that are out of the way of the path we need to take) Sorry this is wordy, I just wanted to make sure I covered everything. Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

The key area for making up time is from the beginning to just past the loopty loop. After that, its really about just not messing up. Also, being good at Air Boosting can be really helpful as well and save a lot of time. One final note, the first, second and third targets can act a bit goofy. The first target sometimes doesn't register, which can get really annoying. The second and third targets will register, but if you do not hit the center of the platform with a good bit of speed, you can go THROUGH the targets. And that my friends, is the definition of aggravation when that happens. Best advice is try your best to hit the centers of these targets to avoid the aggravation.

To start, use the tip that Stalemate666 had, which is below:

The trick is getting up the escalator right, jump off the ramp and boost to get the star then stop pressing r2 and just let yourself coast to the ramp, you can hit the first target at the top at 49 secs.

I ended up doing a double jump while hitting boost at the same time, this allowed me to conserve some boost so that I could use it right after the first target to get to the next platform in a hurry. However, do NOT boost to the 2nd target, as you will most likely over shoot (and you need boost for the next part).

Once you hit the second target, jump to the spring and hold the analog (or d-pad, whatever you use) and go into a spin, you should be able to do 2 spins, which will fill your meter (You could do 3, but i only do 2 because it wouldn't do my meter any good at that point). Once you finish the second spin.. hit boost (not hold) into the third target, and once you float down to the fans, hit boost again to go across to the 4th target. Don't need to hold it down, as it may make you fly across the target.

From here, use the rest of the boost while doing the loopty loop. I found if you can get to the top of the Loopty Loop with 38.5 sec left or better, you have a fairly decent chance to pass.

From here, its really just about not messing up. Do a wheelie off the loopty loop, and jump just before the bump. You should be able to get just high enough to get all the bolts, but not too high to where you lose time. And get Target #5.

From here to the next jump, there is a hurdle in between, but it actually works in your favor. Just duck just before, and right after the hurdle is a spring, and release once you hit the spring. (Don't do it before or you won't get the full benefit. If you miss any of these jumps and have to do it again, you may as well hit select and re-do the level. There's almost 0 margin for error.) This is a good spot to do a couple of flips and fill up your boost. When you land, you'll also have hit Target #6.

Once this is done, pop a wheelie and head for the seventh target. This is a ramp with two hurdles on either side and a target in the middle. What I do is wait until i hit the ramp, and then press the boost, but not hold it. Again, you are looking to save time and only want to go as high as you have to. Its a good spot for a flip as well to keep the combo meter going. You are going to want to land on the left side of the target and then duck to exit out the right.

Do a flip once you get past the hurdle, and you will come to a ramp. Boost up and you will find 3 springs facing 3 different directions. These lead to the 8th target and is also bordered by two hurdles. You do NOT want to hit the one facing the left, as that will send you too far to the left and cost a lot of time. The right one is tricky as well, because it will shoot you directly into the hurdle unless you are good at controlling Joe. Once you hit the middle spring, do a flip and land again on the left side, and repeat what you did with the seventh target. Hopefully by this point you will have full boost, as you will need it.

On to the home stretch! You will hit another ramp, which will lead to another conveyor belt. However, this time you don't need to do anything but go up it. The only problem is you do not have much space to get up2 speed. This is where the boost comes in handy to give you the speed you need to land on the belt. Do a quick jump and you should be safe. Once you do this you will go up and come across a platform that moves left to right. Just hop and pop a wheelie once you clear to get to the final section!

This final section for me was the hardest, mainly because of the control scheme. Just before you get to the downhill ramp, you will want to jump to get the bananas. The tricky part is, you need to hold the boost button because the bananas are in a reverse C pattern (The monkey has the rocket pack). However, hold it too soon or take a bad angle, and you'll miss the first couple of bananas and you won't have time to get them. Make sure to do a trick using R1 or L1 or else you will lose your combo string!

After you collect all the bananas, be prepared to immediately switch back to the bike and wheelie. There is a jump, that has the rest of the bolts you need plus the final target. Don't boost at the beginning of the jump, or else you will miss the bolts at the end and the final target. Once you feel like you are going to safely collect everything, hold down boost until the end of the run!

Hopefully if all goes well, you will beat 55 sec, which is the required time to beat the level. Hope this guide helps, I know a video would be better, but until I get the ability to do it this will have to suffice. If I get the ability, I will do my best to add a video as well. Good Luck and be patient, you will eventually get it!

Edited by jdh0921

Nice guide, I could picture myself doing most everything you're talking about. :)

...and more importantly, I do not care to see this level ever again. :D

Lol, this is so true.

I ended up doing a double jump while hitting boost at the same time, this allowed me to conserve some boost so that I could use it right after the first target to get to the next platform in a hurry.

I had a really hard time with this part so I'll add to what you guys are saying about the beginning.

You're jumping off the very first ramp. I found it easiest to hold :r2: and do a wheelie holding back on :l3: to the point where you're almost vertical. When you get to the top of the ramp double-jump and tap :cross: for boost near the top of your jump. Depending on where you're at from left to right you may be able to fall almost straight down but it's reasonably likely you may need to use a little bit of :l2: to move backwards. You want to land on the spinning platform. You don't want to land on it when it's flat though, you're trying to land on the tip of it when it's vertical so it will carry you directly to the nuts on the conveyor. I found that I was able to be close on time as long as I had 47.5-49.0 seconds when I hit the first target.

Do a flip once you get past the hurdle, and you will come to a ramp. Boost up and you will find 3 springs facing 3 different directions. These lead to the 8th target and is also bordered by two hurdles. You do NOT want to hit the one facing the left, as that will send you too far to the left and cost a lot of time. The right one is tricky as well, because it will shoot you directly into the hurdle unless you are good at controlling Joe. Once you hit the middle spring, do a flip and land again on the left side, and repeat what you did with the seventh target.

Another option that helped me was instead of using that ramp to get to the 3 springs was to boost off of the ramp and go over them and the hurdle entirely and land on the target. Also usually to maintain my combo once I ducked under the second hurdle I needed to roll forward and do a front flip and land on the ground below.

Just a general note about targets like that with a hurdle on either side, if you intend to duck under them try to land as close to the left side of the target as you can. When you land you do a tiny bounce as you move forward. It's not much but enough to hit the hurdle and knock you off the bike. This bounce can be mitigated by either immediately using boost when you land or by landing on your front wheel instead of back but it's a little trickier to do.

Edited by jjhender

Why spin? Ever? Especially in this game where doing tricks doesn't seem to make you crash. Anyway, one thing I ended up doing for the bananas was after I did the vertical row of bananas, I'd fly over some of the bananas going left so I didn't pick them up, then start getting the bananas at the end of the line and fly right. Then when I turned back into a bike, I kept that momentum and had an easier time maintaining combo.

I had a really hard time with this part so I'll add to what you guys are saying about the beginning.

You're jumping off the very first ramp. I found it easiest to hold :r2: and do a wheelie holding back on :l3: to the point where you're almost vertical. When you get to the top of the ramp double-jump and tap :cross: for boost near the top of your jump. Depending on where you're at from left to right you may be able to fall almost straight down but it's reasonably likely you may need to use a little bit of :l2: to move backwards. You want to land on the spinning platform. You don't want to land on it when it's flat though, you're trying to land on the tip of it when it's vertical so it will carry you directly to the nuts on the conveyor. I found that I was able to be close on time as long as I had 47.5-49.0 seconds when I hit the first target.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I just can't seem to hit the first target with more than 47 seconds left. Even when I land on top of the spinning platform while it's pretty much vertical, it just takes me up the conveyor belt really slowly.

My best finish so far was 55,70 but I'm just losing way too much time on the first target.

Edit: Finally got it after so many extra tries. Turns out I was losing way more time at the targets with hurdles on both sides, I found it way faster to land close to the 2nd hurdle and holding square while landing. I didn't do any flips because the bike seems more bouncy if you don't land it completely horizontal.

Edited by dks

• 3 weeks later...

I found this on YouTube:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9WMRv8Sc6M]Joe Danger 2 - Copa Negro - Segundo nivel: El redentor - YouTube[/ame]

EDIT:

I tried getting it today and within 30 minutes I got it with the method of the video. It isn't that hard when you know how to use jumps etc.

Some advice:

At the first star, barely touch it with your head to save time.

At the 3 fans, right before the fans on the button use boost to direct you down faster. You should also be able to clear all the fans when you ride off the second target there (3rd overall).

When you have to go under hurdles, do not use R1 or L1.

If people still have trouble, you can always add me on PSN (write subject, I reject all others) or send me a message here.

<< IGN.

Edited by Facci

• 5 weeks later...

I just did it, turned out a lot harder than I expected (about 250 tries). Apparently #11 on the leaderboard too. The hardest part though was getting the bike to stop bouncing before hurdles. I thought maybe if you land just before it you would have a better chance of ducking but nope. Also when you come out of the jetpack I found my character would often just fall over which would be extremely frustrating if I was on track for time. Only Insert Disk #2 left.. Edit: Woo, 141 tries, got rank #31, not bad

Edited by Light-and-magic