Jimmie Johnson's Anything With An Engine ~ Trophy Guide & Roadmap

http://i.imgur.com/jxgMpFp.png

Special thanks to prozendaal for the amazing images.

*This guide is property of diskdocx. Published on PST.org. Do not copy or repost any portion of this guide without permission*

If this, or any of my guides, have encouraged you to join the site, please register here - I would appreciate the referral upon your sign-up.

http://i.imgur.com/qCYg2fE.png

• Estimated trophy difficulty: 5-6/10 (Personal Estimate), Platinum Difficulty Rating Thread
  • Offline trophies: 22 (7(B), 9(S), 6(G))
  • Online trophies: 3 (1 (B), 1 (S), 1 (P))
  • Approximate amount of time to platinum: 8-12 hours, skill dependent Estimated Time To Platinum Thread
  • Minimum number of playthroughs: 1 Career (5 Cups), 50 Single Event Races, 1 Local + 1 Online Multiplayer Race
  • Number of missable trophies: None
  • Glitched trophies: None known, but read Warning below
  • Does difficulty affect trophies?: Yes, all Career Cup Events must be completed on All-Star, and Single Event Time Trials must be done on All-Star
  • Do trophies stack?: Yes - there are 2 versions of this game, a retail version and a digital version. They are identical, but have separate trophy lists, so 2 platinums are possible. Note that the Disc and Digital versions are NOT compatible for online play (so you can't use a Digital copy to self boost the MP with a Disc copy on a second PS3)
  • Do cheat codes disable trophies?: Yes, read warning below
  • Additional Information: As of writing, this game is available only in North America (both retail and digital versions). 2 Controllers are needed for the local multiplayer race and therefore the (P).

http://i.imgur.com/6pK1ObK.png

Jimmie Johnson's Anything With An Engine (JJAWAE) is a Kart Racer style game, along the lines of ModNation or Little Big Planet Kart. There are 13 tracks, and the main career spans 5 Cups, with 6 Events + a 1 on 1 duel against Jimmie Johnson in each Cup. Events are traditional races, with powerups including boost, mines, missiles and rams, as well as timed events, endurance, survival and matador races where half the cars are driving in the opposite direction on the track.

While not a long platinum, the game does feature some very cheap AI, with intense rubber banding, and a huge learning curve. The first Cup will leave you feeling rather overwhelmed, but once you learn some tricks of your own, and get familiar with the tracks, winning should become easier.

http://i.imgur.com/G4dmiLu.png

Before reading any further, there are 3 very important warnings to note.

1. Cheat Codes

• There is a cheat code available allowing you to unlock all Karts from the start. This is accessed by pressing and holding :r2: + :l2: + :r1: + :l1:, then on the :dpad: in order, Up, Right, Down, Left, Up, Left, Down, Right, and finally click the Right analog stick (:r3:), then click the Left analog stick (:l3:)
  • I believe this will lock you out of both (B) Tinkerer and (S) Collector, as you can no longer build the cars in your garage. You will still unlock tokens for beating JJ in the duel's, but the trophy won't pop until you build the cars, which you can't do.
  • I would recommend you avoid this code as you can't use the only useful Kart (Speed Demon) in Career Cups anyway.

2. Difficulty

• As I will explain in the Walkthrough, it is highly recommended you start on All-Star difficulty right away. Normally I would not make this a warning, but this game features a very unusual Cup Point System.
  • Basically, once you start a Cup Career on a save slot, you must continue that slot through all 5 Cups. If you decide to switch to a new slot, you will have to restart the Cups all the way from Bronze.
  • Why does this matter? Unfortunately, progress in a race is only saved if you beat your previous best finish. If you do a race on a difficulty lower than All-Star, you will have to replay the Event on All-Star until you better your previous result. If you played on Rookie and did very well (for instance, winning easily), you may never be able to beat that on All-Star, thus blocking any further progress.
  • Since nothing carries over anyway, there is absolutely no point in playing Career on anything other than All-Star

3. Difficulty 2.0

• Learned this the hard way - if Warning 2 above wasn't bad enough, every time you progress to a new Cup in your career, the game defaults back to Rookie difficulty!
  • This is potentially a game breaker, if you get to the 3rd or 4th Cup, and have a momentary lapse, and find out several races in that you were on Rookie, not All-Star
  • You are now faced with the daunting task of re-racing any events that are on Rookie, and having to beat them - if you can't, your save slot is blocked, and you will be restarting all the way from Cup #1 on a new slot.
  • I cannot over emphasize, check the difficulty on Race Event #1 every time you start a new Cup during your career. Once you change to All-Star, you should be fine for the rest of the Cup, but watch this very closely.

Edited by stgermain
Editorial Sweep

http://i.imgur.com/8NRpfK4.png

Step 1 - Career on All-Star:

As noted in the Warning Section, start out on All-Star. The learning curve is very steep, and you will struggle, but persist. Once you get the tracks down it becomes easier.

It is highly recommended that you choose Silverspoon as your Driver. Kiss of Death would likely also work, but the additional armor from Silverspoon will come in handy. Any of the slower vehicles, including the ones that appear to be better balanced, are almost certainly too slow. You won't be winning based on offense, so speed is critical.

There will be 5 Cups to complete (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond). You do NOT need to complete, or even play, the Bonus Cups. Cups have 6 Events, and if you are first overall in the standings at the end of the 6 Events, you can race JJ in a 1vs1 duel. Winning that Event (best 2 out of 3), will award you the Cup, and 1 Unlock Token to be used in the garage to build a new Kart.

It is also worth noting that you do NOT need to win every event. One nice feature is you can play all 6 Events, see where you stand, then go back and re-race Events where you fared poorly until you find yourself on top. You do not have to re-play an entire Cup; you can pick and choose just the Events where you want to improve.

As an added bonus, if you replay Events not only can you gain points, but the overall leader might lose points. As an example, in 1 Cup after 6 Events I was 2nd overall, 70 points back of the leader. I replayed 1 Event, moving up from 7th to 3rd, and the leader who had won that race dropped all the way to 7th. Thus, he lost 60 points while I gained 40, moving me all the way to 1st overall in the standings.

Once you have won all 5 Cups, you will unlock Jimmie Johnson's vehicle, as well as Speed Demon (who I would recommend using for clean up).

Trophies Earned in this Step - 8

(B) Beginner

(S) Rookie Champ

(G) Pro Champ

(G) All-Star Champ

(B) Speedster

(B) Endurerer

(B) Tinkerer

(S) Collector

Step 2 - Single Events & Clean-Up:

After completing the Cups, you still have a number of trophies to complete. Many of these are Single Event only, while a few are Cup or Single Event. Ultimately you will need to complete 50 Single Events anyway, so I would suggest working on the miscellaneous trophies along the way.

To start, I suggest choosing Time Attack, and cleaning up the remaining tracks. You have completed 5 already through the Cups, so finish the other 8. Using Speed Demon these should be fairly easy; most can be done first try. Make sure to keep the difficulty on All-Star for this step.

You can now drop to Rookie difficulty, then go through each track in Race mode (keep it on regulation setting), and look for the Expert Shortcuts, and try to get all the Gotcha buttons as you go. Unfortunately this is not tracked anywhere, so I would recommend staying on a given track until you know you have both of the above completed.

Along the way you may pick up (S) Come Back Kid! and (S) Achiever, but if you have not then finish these before moving on.

After finishing all of the above, you probably still won't have 50 Events complete, so choose any track and go into Survival Event, then just sit at the starting line. The timer is set to 25 seconds, after which you will be destroyed and the race ends. Remember to leave the Settings on Regulation or these events won't count towards the 50. Obviously you could choose to do another type of Event, but this will take a lot longer to grind than the Survival method.

Trophies Earned in this Step - 10

(B) Duelist

(G) Pacifist

(G) Sprinter

(S) Strategist

(S) Achiever

(S) Comeback Kid!

(S) Explorer

(G) Renegade

(S) Rascal

(G) Enthusiast

Step 3: 50 Lap Endurance Race

I have placed this as a separate step. While this is a Single Event, you have to modify the settings so it won't count towards (G) Enthusiast. You can choose any Racer/Track, but I suggest Speed Demon and a short Track like Dirt Derby or Hillbilly Hoedown to keep the total time to a minimum (this will still take a good 30 minutes).

Trophies Earned in this Step - 1

(S) Marathoner

Step 4: Multiplayer

There are a couple of MP trophies - 2 can be done in local MP at the same time, and the other 2 will require an online partner. See trophy descriptions for the details on these.

As online is completely dead, feel free to use the boosting thread to find a helper. Note that the Digital and Retail versions of this game are NOT compatible for online play. You will have to find a boost partner with the same version of the game as you are playing.

Note that the Disc and Digital versions are NOT compatible for online play (so you can't use a Digital copy to self boost the MP with a Disc copy on a second PS3)

Trophies Earned in this Step - 4

(B) Homebody

(B) Saboteur

(B) Traveler

(S) Advocate

Step 5: Final Clean-Up

There not be anything left here if you followed the Walkthrough, but if you have missed a miscellaneous trophy somewhere along the line, check the trophy descriptions and finish it here for your (P)

Trophies Earned in this Step - 2

(S) Boxer

(P) Platinum

Edited by stgermain
Editorial Sweep

http://i.imgur.com/I0TRQw8.png

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/01.jpg Platinum (P)

Collect all Jimmie Johnson's AWAE trophies

Make JJ proud and earn all the other trophies.

http://i.imgur.com/cjo8iEF.png

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/02.jpg Beginner (B)

Complete a Career Mode event

This will likely be the first trophy you earn. Go to Career and start your Bronze Cup. After finishing the first Event, regardless of your finishing position, this will unlock.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/03.jpg Rookie Champ (S)

Complete Career Mode by playing all events on Rookie difficulty or higher

See (G) All-Star Champ.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/04.jpg Pro Champ (G)

Complete Career Mode by playing all events on Pro difficulty or higher

See (G) All-Star Champ.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/05.jpg All-Star Champ (G)

Complete Career Mode by playing all events on All-Star difficulty

The Career completion trophies stack. Accordingly, I recommend starting right out on All-Star difficulty, and compete the 5 Cups to earn all 3 trophies at the same time.

While the learning curve is steep, there is no benefit to starting on a lower difficulty, as you do not earn any perks to make All-Star easier. The best Kart to use is Silverspoon, and that is available from the start.

Furthermore, the game features an usual save style, where you will only update your progress in an Event if you beat a previous best result. Accordingly, if you do chose to start on Rookie, you will have to beat YOUR record on every single Event on All-Star, which will be very difficult. It is NOT recommended to play ANY career Events on less than All-Star or you risk having to restart from the Bronze Cup (See also the Warning Section in the Roadmap)

Career is broken down into 5 Cups - Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond. Each Cup has 6 Events, and points are awarded based on finishing position - 100 for 1st, 90 for 2nd, 80 for 3rd and so on, down to 30 for 8th. At the end of the 6th Event, the driver with the most points is the winner. It is quite possible to be the top place driver without winning most, or possibly any Events.

If you are not the top driver, you can go back and re-race any of the 6 Events to improve your point total. There is no penalty for retrying; you cannot lose points as the game only saves your best result.

Additionally, the top driver may lose points if they finish lower in a re-race, so moving up a couple of positions while they move down can dramatically affect the overall standings.

Event Tips

Race

• This is standard, 8 Kart racing with weapon powerups. Most races are 5-7 laps. Because of the rubberbanding and AI aggression, you are not going to be able to outrace them. The best strategy is to stay mid pack, hit the yellow track lights to power up your weapons, and use the pits frequently to repair your vehicle and replenish ammo
  • Typically the winning strategy is going to be guns blazing in the last few corners. Fortunately, while you can't outrun the AI, they typically don't get too far ahead either.
  • If you are well behind, the fan shortcut may open up, although that does leave you quite vulnerable to getting pummeled
  • You can activate but not use a mine, and this will shield you from incoming missiles
  • Boost and Ram are both unlimited (but require a short recharge), while mines and missiles have a limit and can only be refilled in pitstops

Endurance

• Basically races, but longer. The only significant difference is you get points for your standing each lap, not just at the end.
  • On many races the pits are just before the finish line, so it may be advantageous to bypass the pit and pick up a few more positions (and points as you cross the line), even if this leaves you vulnerable to getting destroyed - there is no penalty for exploding, and the extra points may be worth the risk
  • Do note, however, that when damaged, your vehicle will go slower, so do hit the pits periodically

Survival

• Standard rules here, once the race starts a timer begins, and the driver in last place is eliminated each time the clock hits zero.
  • The best strategy is often to save some firepower and go after the Kart in front of you as the timer is winding down.

Matador

• These races have half the field going one way, half the other. This means fewer AI cars shooting at you, but twice a lap there is a major traffic jam of oncoming cars. Not much to say other than try to avoid the pile up - usually staying towards the outside of the track helps

Time Attack

• Oddly, the easiest of the race styles. You should have little difficulty beating the ghost, often by a second or two. Try to follow the AI line, and hit the boost pads. Don't forget to use your boost as often as possible, as the ghost rarely does so this gives you an advantage.
  • Boosting in long straights, and immediately after sharp corners is the best strategy

Duels

• Ok, fair warning, this is rubberbanding at its worst. You cannot outrun JJ. If you draft him, he will spam mines at you. If you boost, he will boost faster and longer. If you do get in front, you will be bombarded.
  • So what do you do? Cheese him. I found that racing normally for 2 1/2 laps, without boosting or using any offensive weapons would usually leave me just behind him - the AI rarely out races you thanks to the rubberband.
  • Save everything until you are approaching the last quarter lap, then unleash all your missiles, hit boost and nail him with a ram as you pass. JJ usually cannot react to all of that, and you will overpower him long enough to get past, and if timed correctly beat him across the line.
  • If there is a turn just before the finish, this works even better as the missiles interfere with steering sending JJ off course
  • This strategy worked the best for me, and with it I was able to clear most Duels first try (remember that it is best 2 out of 3 to win)

Warning - As noted in the Roadmap, it will be very difficult to clear this trophy if you play any Events on Rookie. There is a significant glitch in that each new Cup automatically defaults to Rookie. Make sure you check your selected difficulty every time you progress to a new Cup. Once changed to All-Star, it should remain there for the duration of that Cup, but will reset when you progress.

You do NOT want to get to the 4th or 5th Cup and forget to change this and start Events on Rookie, or else you may not be able to beat them on All-Star, and would have to restart an entire Career from the Bronze Cup again!

Bonus tip - learned this the second time through with the Digital version. I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the Expert Shortcuts outlined in (G) Renegade. While they are tricky to navigate, and not all of them are actually quicker than staying on the track at maximum speed, a few cut of a substantial portion of the track, and can be extremely helpful to avoid the AI (which never uses these shortcuts). Do note, however, you cannot access Expert Shortcuts during Duels, Matador, or Time Attack Events.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/06.jpg Speedster (B)

Win your first Time Attack event, in Career Mode or Single Event (Regulation rules)

If you follow the guide, this will pop after your first Career Cup Time Attack. Overall, these were easy enough to clear, and are the best Event to guarantee 100 points during each Cup.

See (G) All-Star Champ for some Time Attack tips.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/07.jpg Endurer (B)

Win your first Endurance event, in Career Mode or Single Event (Regulation rules)

This may come during a Career Cup, although they can be difficult. The strategy is somewhat different, as it is not first across the line, but total points during the race. Points are earned based on where you are each time you cross the line, so it is important to stay close to the front at all times.

Typically, consistency is more important than being first every lap. See (G) All-Star Champ for additional tips.

If you do not have this by the end of Career, you can start a Single Event on any track you are comfortable with, and change the difficulty to Rookie, to make this easier.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/12.jpg Tinkerer (B)

Build a new vehicle in the Garage

At the end of each Cup, if you successfully beat Jimmie Johnson, you will unlock a Token. This can be used in the Garage to rebuild one of the 4 locked Karts. This can be earned at the end of your first successful Cup.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/14.jpg Collector (S)

Build all vehicles in the Garage

Following (B) Tinkerer, this will require you to build all 4 locked Karts. Thus, you will earn this following your 4th Career Cup (Platinum Cup). Clearing the final Cup automatically rewards you with Speed Demon and Jimmie Johnson, and is not required for this trophy as there is no Token awarded.

Note that using the unlock all vehicles cheat will not unlock either this or (B) Tinkerer, and I believe will void them both as you can no longer rebuild the Karts with Tokens, as the game considers them built.

Edited by stgermain
Editorial Sweep

http://i.imgur.com/ZhMk9hc.png

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/08.jpg Duelist (B)

Destroy an opponent's car in a Duel, in Career Mode or Single Event

While listed as a Career or Single Event trophy, if you are playing All-Star Career, you cannot destroy JJ. His car is too well armored, and you won't have enough powerups. It would be far too frustrating to attempt, so just focus on beating him.

Earn this in Single Event, choose Rookie difficulty and any track (although a shorter, tight track like Castle Crash might be easier, as there is less room for the AI to move, making Rams easier to hit).

The goal will be aggression, so don't worry about outracing the AI. Hit him with your missiles, get alongside and use the Rams, and if he drops back use mines. It does not take much to destroy the AI on Rookie, and you can probably kill them before the first lap ends.

As the AI Kart is random, you may need a few tries before you get a slower/less armed opponent, but don't worry, each attempt (even if you fail) will count towards (G) Enthusiast.

Addendum (credit to xxRC85xx for noting this): JJ will occasionally blow himself up during the Duel at the end of the Silver Cup (on Runway Revenge). This seems random, I never experienced it during my Retail playthrough, but did have it happen during my Digital run. The above tips still stand if you do not have this happen during you Cup Career.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/21.jpg Pacifist (G)

Win a Duel without using any weapons in Career mode or Single Event (Regulation Rules)

The opposite of (B) Duelist, this one is actually quite difficult even on Rookie. The most effective strategy for Duels (namely full offensive strike just before the finish line) cannot be used. You can use boost, but not Ram, Mines or Missiles.

Because of the AI rubberbanding, even on Rookie it is hard to build much of a lead.

My best advice would be to use Speed Demon (which should be unlocked if you finish the Career), and a short track with no sharp turns - Dirt Derby works well. With a clean race line, maximal use of boost, and good timing as you approach the line, you should be able to win. As with (B) Duelist, if you get paired with a slower AI Kart, your odds are better, so keep retrying until you get a favorable match up.

There is no point in trying this during Career.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/17.jpg Sprinter (G)

Beat all Time Attack Events on All-Star difficulty in Single Event Mode (Regulation rules)

This trophy is actually incorrect, as Time Attack Events cleared during Career count towards this.

Since there are 13 tracks total, and there was one Time Attack during each Career Cup, you have 8 left to clear.

Change the Event to Time Attack in the Single Event Mode, but make sure the difficulty is on All-Star. I recommend using Speed Demon for these, but you could also use Silverspoon or Kiss of Death. Follow the tips under (G) All-Star Champ for best results.

The only exception to this would be for the track Castle Crash. I found that track to tight and twisty for the fast Karts, and switched to a slightly slower but better handling Kart (I used Bargain Nana). Otherwise, you should be able to clear the times in 1-2 tries.

Go through the following tracks (that were not in Career Cups) and the trophy should unlock, assuming you did win each Time Attack during the Cups.

Single Event Tracks:

1. Carnival Carnage
  2. Castle Crash
  3. Dino Safari
  4. Dragon Dash
  5. Hillbilly Hoedown
  6. Moonshine Madness
  7. Route 66
  8. Viking Vengence

Career Cup Tracks (replay only if you didn't beat them in Career):

1. Calamity City
  2. Dirt Derby
  3. Hazard Highway
  4. Putter's Oasis
  5. Runway Rampage

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/20.jpg Strategist (S)

Win a Single Event Race (Regulation rules), without using the Pitstop

Create a Single Event Race with Rookie AI, and all other settings left to Regulation. Chose a shorter track like Dirt Derby, and simply avoid going into the pits. Using a fast Kart like Speed Demon should help, and after completing the Career this should pose little challenge. Remember that every failed attempt will count towards (G) Enthusiast.

This will NOT unlock during Cup Career even if you meet the requirements.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/23.jpg Achiever (S)

Earn all Badges in a Single Event Race (Regulation rules)

There are 8 Badges that can be earned in a race:

1. Score the most Mine hits
  2. Score the most Ram hits
  3. Score the most Missile hits
  4. Score the most Gotcha hits
  5. Collect the most Fan Votes (by driving over Yellow and Green Track Lights)
  6. Post the fastest lap
  7. Post the longest drift
  8. Win the race

Racing against Rookie AI and going with maximum offensive tactics should make these fairly easy, although the one to watch for is the drift as you probably aren't using that a lot. Remember to pit every lap to refill Missile and Mine ammo, and use a shorter track to keep the pack close together. Again, Dirt Derby works well here.

This will NOT unlock during Cup Career even if you are awarded all badges during an Event.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/24.jpg Comeback Kid! (S)

Win a Single Event Race (Regulation rules) by climbing from last to first place in the final lap

Another one that should be fairly easy on Rookie once you know the tracks. Choose Speed Demon, and make sure to hang back, just behind the 7th place Kart (don't fall too far back). Pit on the 2nd to last lap so your vehicle is fully repaired going into the final lap.

Simply go from 8th as you start the last lap to first at the finish to get the trophy.

I did this on Dirt Derby, although a longer track might technically be easier as you have more time to reach first.

This will NOT unlock during Cup Career even if you meet the requirements.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/13.jpg Enthusiast (G)

Complete 50 Events in Single Event mode (Regulation Rules)

After completing all the Miscellaneous Single Event Trophies, and getting all Expert Shortcuts/Gotchas, you will likely have a few more races to hit 50.

I recommend changing the mode to Elimination, while being sure to leave all other settings to Regulation.

When the race starts, don't go anywhere, and when the timer runs out you will explode, finishing last and ending the race. The timer is 25 seconds by default, so you can complete an Event in just over 30 seconds, which is by far the fastest way to grind these.

If you have a turbo controller you can even automate this by taping down :square: so that the Event automatically restarts.

Depending upon the number of races you needed to clear the miscellaneous trophies, this should take no more than 15-30 minutes.

Edited by stgermain
Editorial Sweep

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/15.jpg Explorer (S)

Discover and successfully traverse an Expert Shortcut

See (G) Renegade.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/16.jpg Renegade (G)

Renegade Discover and traverse all Expert Shortcuts successfully

Expert Shortcuts are hidden pathways, typically accessed by driving through a breakable barrier. There is one on every track, and many are well hidden.

These are NOT to be confused with the fan activated shortcuts (I mistakenly thought those were the Expert Shortcuts...).

You may discover a few of these during Career, but it would be easiest to work on them, track by track, while doing Single Player Events. They may not offer much of an advantage during Career, but you could certainly try them out as you progress. These shortcuts are often tricky to navigate, and very easy to fall off the edge of, but if you can master them, on a few Tracks they will give you a substantial edge over the AI.

I would suggest doing this trophy and (S) Rascal at the same time.

Track by Shortcut List and Description

CALAMITY CITY:

• SHORTCUT: After meteor pit you drive out, immediately on the left at the top of the small incline is a larger piece of white barrier - drive straight through it.

CARNIVAL CARNAGE:

• SHORTCUT: At the start you drive around a carousel and then in between two tents. Drive behind the right tent and aim for the red piece of barrier right in the corner.

CASTLE CRASH:

• SHORTCUT: From start, right then left, as it starts to incline hit the first piece of white barrier on the left side of the track after the incline.

DINO SAFARI:

• SHORTCUT: In big open area with water after the 2 large T-Rex's on the right side is a larger than normal piece of red barrier with a "hole in the rock" cut out behind it - drive through it.

DIRT DERBY:

• SHORTCUT: First corner, on right side of track slightly longer white piece of barrier situated between two trees to the left of JJ billboard - drive through it.

DRAGON DASH:

• SHORTCUT: After jump you twist slightly right then there is a left turn. There is a cutout of a small mountain right on the corner - aim at it as if you were going to drive off the track.

HAZARD HIGHWAY:

• SHORTCUT: After pitstop, long sweeping left corner but before the right corner. On the right side of the track there is a tree with a longer grey piece of barrier - drive through it.

HILLBILLY HOEDOWN:

• SHORTCUT: After barn on right side that can open up as a "standard" shortcut, you go round a sweeping right corner. Look down the left side of this turn to see the large piece of red barrier - aim straight at it.

MOONSHINE MADNESS:

• SHORTCUT: After first Gotcha the corner sweeps left. If you look to the right you will see where the track connects from the "standard" shortcut. Right in front of you is the barrier, aim for the white bit that has two tree's either side of it.

PUTTERS OASIS:

• SHORTCUT: In open area with water feature and camels on right side of track is a larger than normal piece of white barrier - drive straight at it.

ROUTE 66:

• SHORTCUT: After 2nd gotcha button on the sweeping right hand bend there is a sand area on the left side of the track. Hit the red and white barrier right at the end of the enclosure on the corner where it meets back with the track.

RUNWAY REVENGE:

• SHORTCUT: Take normal left after pit stop at top of track and stay on right side of track all the way down the straight, over the boost arrows and drive straight into the "left corner road barrier"

VIKING VENGEANCE:

• SHORTCUT: In the big open area with the craters from the start line, before the track narrows to standard lane on the right side of the track are two cutouts of the small mountains. The are situated right opposite the exit of the pitstop - drive straight at the second one.

Credit to interyernan1978 for the excellent list and descriptions.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/22.jpg Rascal (S)

Use every Gotcha to successfully strike at Bot opponents

Gotchas are special attacks that are activated by driving over a red button on the track. Typically it spawns some type of destructive action a short way in front of you. It is designed to slow the lead Karts and give the stragglers a chance to catch up. Once activated, there is a short recharge period before the button reactivates.

These are not of much use if you are leading the race (although driving over them does prevent trailing drivers from activating it on you), or if you are far behind.

Every track has at least one Gotcha, and a few have 2. You will likely find and use most of these during the course of your Career Cup plays, although not all tracks are raced in a mode which utilizes the Gotcha's, and there is no way to track which you have successfully used.

Note that this trophy requires you to not only activate the Gotcha, but also to attack at least one AI bot (this cannot be done in local MP against a fellow human driver).

I recommend you do these track by track, while doing Single Player Events, working on this trophy and (G) Renegade at the same time.

Track by Track Gotcha List and Description:

CALAMITY CITY:

• GOTCHA (Activates water to come out from the pipes as drive through the sunken section): On the left side of the track opposite the pit lane right before the drop into the water filled area.

CARNIVAL CARNAGE:

• GOTCHA (Activates giant at the hairpin section): At the bottom of the fun slide, right in the middle of the track.

CASTLE CRASH:

• GOTCHA (Activates plates to push cars off track at the hairpin): In middle of track right at the end of the circuit before the final hairpin.

• MOST DIFFICULT GOTCHA IN GAME! (Tip: Set up a 1v1 race v the computer with a few laps, drive over yellow active pads to gain your mines then reverse to hairpin and plant four mines in a line so the CPU has to swing wide of the corner and then reverse up to the Gotcha button and sit on it. Let the CPU drive past you and fire a missile so he start to lose control and with luck it should send him onto the pads - may take a few attempts.)
  • ALTERNATIVE - I did this still in a standard 7 bot race, hang back and use the missiles after activating. It is still luck based, and I would suggest leaving this til last as it is hard to know if you have done it successfully. By leaving it til the end, the trophy will pop as soon as you have a successful strike. The other Gotcha's are pretty obvious to tell if you have succeeded.

DINO SAFARI:

• GOTCHA (Causes dinosaur above track to spit acid down on drivers going underneath): After the big jump with boost arrows, you go down the hill and the gotcha button is on the right side of the track.

DIRT DERBY:

• GOTCHA (Activates mud to fall from bridge overhead): Just before mud pit on left side of track.

DRAGON DASH:

• GOTCHA (Activates dragon to breath fire onto cars passing to the left/right of it): After the snaking left right left right turns its on the left side of the track.

HAZARD HIGHWAY:

• GOTCHA 1 (Activates plates to push cars off track): After pit lane, long left, right corner and it's on the right side of the road. Best to shoot some missiles at cars in front once activated so they lose control and drive into the plates.

• GOTCHA 2 (Activates electric shock coming down from bridge ahead): On right side of road on long straight with the seascape running down the right side.

HILLBILLY HOEDOWN:

• GOTCHA 1 (Activates stampede of cattle running across the track): On right side of track before the final left bend that leads into the home straight.

MOONSHINE MADNESS:

• GOTCHA 1 (Activates pads to knock people off the track): With the mill on the left towards the beginning of the race. It is on the right side of the wider part of track. Again, best to use Ram or Missiles to push AI bots into the pads.

• GOTCHA 2 (Activates flood of water coming across track on bridge): Right before bridge on the right side of the track.

PUTTERS OASIS:

• GOTCHA (Makes golfer pop up on track blocking drivers going over the jump): On the right corner where the computer will open up a "standard" shortcut for you if you are losing, it is right in the middle of the track just after this right turn.

ROUTE 66:

• GOTCHA1 (Causes railway crossing arm to come down and hit drivers): At end of first straight on right side of track.

• GOTCHA2 (Causes dust storm to blow across track from left to right): Where the computer can open a "standard" shortcut, it is tucked tight to the left side of the corner.

RUNWAY REVENGE:

• GOTCHA (Activates flame to come from jet engine above track): From start line: Take the initial S bend of right, then left and straight after that tight left corner tucked away on the left side of the track is the gotcha button.

VIKING VENGEANCE:

• GOTCHA (Closes mountains on each side of jump, blocking drivers): After track narrows and you sweep round the first right hander, the gotcha button is on the left side of the track before the jump.

Credit to interyernan1978 for the excellent list and descriptions.

Edited by stgermain
Editorial Sweep

http://i.imgur.com/fbkI9mL.png

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/11.jpg Homebody (B)

Complete a local Multiplayer event

See (B) Saboteur

*Requires 2 controllers*

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/09.jpg Saboteur (B)

Destroy an opponent's car as the Chicken Bomb in a Multiplayer Survival event

I would suggest combining this with (B) Homebody. Go to multiplayer from the main menu, and select Custom Event under the Local Splitscreen tab.

To get this trophy, set up an Elimination Event, and have at least 1 AI bot. When the Event starts, move player 2 ahead a bit then stop. Let the timer expire, and player 1 will explode. After exploding, you will turn into a Chicken Bomb. Drive up to player to and detonate to destroy him, and earn both trophies.

Credit to netlagged for this strategy.

*Requires 2 controllers*

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/10.jpg Traveler (B)

Complete an online Multiplayer event

See (S) Advocate.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/25.jpg Advocate (S)

Win an online Ranked event playing as Jimmie Johnson

Once you have completed all 5 Career Cups, you will be awarded Jimmie Johnson's Kart. Go to Multiplayer from the main menu, then select Ranked Event. Change your Kart to JJ, and complete and win a race to get both trophies.

At this time online is completely dead, so you will need to boost. Feel free to post in the Trophy Boosting Thread to find a partner.

Note that online Multiplayer play is NOT compatible between the Retail Disc version and the Digital version. If you intend to self boost with 2 PS3 machines, you will need to install the Digital version on both consoles, or purchase 2 copies of the Retail Disc.

http://i.imgur.com/y13fl24.png

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/18.jpg Marathoner (S)

Complete a 50 lap Endurance event

Go to Single Event and choose Endurance. Now go down to settings and change from Regulation to custom, changing the lap number to 50. I would suggest a fast Kart like Speed Demon and a short track like Dirt Derby to make it go faster, although this will still take about 30 minutes.

It does not matter what place you finish in.

This one is a bit of an outlier. You set it up from Single Event, but it does not count towards (G) Enthusiast as you need to modify the settings from Regulation.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/trophies/1235/19.jpg Boxer (S)

Achieve a 10x Ram Combo

This may come naturally during play, depending on how aggressive you are with Ram. Try to stay in the pack, and hit :cross: to activate Ram. Ideally, if you can get a Kart on each side of you, you can alternate between them.

You actually have a fairly long window between Rams, but will lose the combo if you fire off a mine or missile, so just keep Ramming until it pops.

Edited by stgermain
Editorial Sweep

For Duelist, I got it during the All Star career. Doing the duel at the end of the Silver Cup, JJ will sometimes blow himself up which will give you the trophy. Saw this happen three times when I was doing this duel, hasn't happened on any of the others though.

Excellent guide, used it to finish off both versions yesterday.

Thanks for making it and also the boost on the retail version.

Edited by PainOfDemise
Please use the edit/multi-quote button instead of double posting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

before you do any other trophies, use the cheat code to get JJ, go online to the rank event, make sure it picks "duel" so its only you vs the other player and no ai. win the match and youll get advocate

if your just playing ranked on a regular race you dont have to actually even win to get traveler. i got in 2nd place but since i beat player 2 the trophy still popped

then you can delete your game to get rid of JJ and start fresh for the upgrade trophies

got this on disc a few years back its pretty rare to find, just gott he digital version of it, didnt realize it was 2 seperated trophy lists. but i love the game so i guess ima give this another whirl

• Thanks 1

i jsut noticed something not that it matters much, but i compared the disc to the digital.

the digital version has 2 extra cars. ones jjimmy fallon in a sports car and husky hank in a lawnmower they both seem pretty fast.

the disc version doesnt seem to have them, but if you download the update patch it gives you the extra husky hank vehicle.

Edited by melodicmizery

• 4 weeks later...