Favourite (J)RPG sub-genre?

Fubzy

Favourite (J)RPG sub-genre?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite (J)RPG sub-genre?

Some of these mightn't exactly qualify as sub-genres, but whatever.

What's your favourite? There's a lot of types of RPG, with different battle systems. For me, turn-based dungeon crawlers are bliss, and a total weakspot of mine! Runner-ups would be action (for exciting combat and depth) and then strategic/tactical (planning of attack and more logical fighting).

For convenience so everyone can participate in this poll, I'll give some PS3/PSV examples of RPGs of each sub-genre.

• Turn-based: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster, Dragon Fantasy: Book I/II, Atelier, original Hyperdimension Neptunia.
  • Action: Kingdom Hearts, Tales series, Risen 2/3, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, The Witch and the Hundred Knight.
  • Strategic/Tactical: Disgaea, Agarest series, Deception IV: Blood Ties.
  • Dungeon crawler: Hyperdimension Neptunia (series), Diablo III, Trinity Universe, Legasista.
  • Rogue: The Guided Fate Paradox, Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God.
  • MMORPG: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, upcoming The Elder Scrolls Online.
  • Sandbox RPGs: Fallout, Skyrim, Borderlands.

What about you guys? :)

Well, all my favourite RPGs have been Action RPGs - Xenoblade is, in my opinion, without peer, and is easily the finest game I've ever played - but in terms of the most consistent quality and most enjoyment, I'd have to go with strategy RPGs. Much as I love the Atelier series, I love Disgaea more, and most of the strategy RPGs I've played I've enjoyed...I've played far too many dismal action RPGs for me to name it as my favourite genre, despite my favourite game coming from that genre. xD

Well. Can only pick 1, but i really like turn-based, dungeon crawler, and action. Though when it comes to action the only game series i really like is Tales Of, and Kingdom hearts.

Turn-based has always been part of my childhood, so can never say no to a game like that.

Dungeon Crawler is something i recently got into honestly, thanks to Persona 4 Golden and Demon Gaze on vita. Without that i would had probably just stayed away from them.

Turn-based will forever be my top favourite though if i had to pick :p

Probably a toss up between strategy and action, with only a slight edge to action. Kingdom Hearts 2 is my favorite RPG ever, with Final Fantasy Tactics being a close runner up. I've dumped immense amounts of time into both over the years, and I've ended up buying FFT 3 times on different platforms just so I could play it again. Still love KH2 more though.

Honorable mention to sandbox Bethesda games. :p

MMORPG and Sandbox RPGs.

MMORPGs - Always chasing the carrot, things never get stale and boring unless you are the .01% of players that live on bleeding edge content, or you play for years and burnout, heh.

Sandbox - I love massive open world games that feel alive. The Witcher 3 is my most anticipated game for PS4.

Gotta be the turned based ones. Grew up on them and loved them. Some action ones I like but I tend to find that they never quite get the combat right and the ai often does exactly what I don't want them too. Be nice of a good co-op action rpg. I think the new dragon age will have some aspect of this so should be interesting.

Turn Based without a doubt. Considering my 1st JRPG (and my all time fav game as well which is Chrono Cross) was turn based, I kinda grew out liking all games that were similar to it and were turn based. I only just recently started playing SRPGs like Disgaea or Action like Takes of series...and while they are fun in their own way I will ALWAYS love allot more a (J)RPG that is turn based.

I prefer the turn-based gameplay for JRPGs since that's what I play most. First with games like Pokemon, then Persona, and now Final Fantasy, I enjoy playing those types of games most. When FFXV comes out, I might have to switch my opinion. For west-based RPGs, like Fallout and The Elder Scrolls, I prefer those to be real-time action.

I voted for turn-based RPGs in the poll, but action RPGs are a close second for me! I have played many turn-based and action RPGs over the years that I have enjoyed! I also like strategy RPGs and dungeon crawlers, although I prefer turn-based RPGs and action RPGs to those. I have not played an MMORPG before (mainly because I don't want to pay monthly fees in order to play one game x.x) and I am not a fan of sandbox games. I honestly haven't heard of a Rouge RPG before, so I can't comment on that at all.

For me, it's a very close one between turn-based and action.

I think I go with turn-based, because my favorite franchise, Suikoden, used that system. I'm a big fan of the FF and Shadow Hearts battle systems as well and so turn-based may be the best choice in this poll.

A special mention goes to Tales and KH with their action based system.

I also like MMORPGs like Guild Wars, though.

• 1 month later...