Which is your favourite classic J-RPG?

Which is your favourite classic J-RPG?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite classic J-RPG?

• Final Fantasy
    • Tales series
    • Ys series
    • Shin Megami Tensei/Persona
    • Phantasy Star

Thought this might be fun to have a little discussion thread rather than a news thread in this forum.

Which classic RPG from Japan is your favourite, and why? How does it trump the others? Here are your choices;

• Final Fantasy, first released in 1987 by Hironobu Sakaguchi of Square (now Square Enix).
  • Tales series, first released in 1995 by Namco.
  • Ys series, first released in 1987 by Masaya Hashimoto of Nihon Falcom.
  • Shin Megami Tensei/Persona, first released in 1996 by Atlus.
  • Phantasy Star series, first released in 1987 by Rieko Kodama and Yuji Naka of SEGA.

Having played all of these franchises, I think Final Fantasy is my clear winner. Although it's the obvious choice out of the five, it is for good reason I say. I have never gotten as emotionally attached to characters in any other game series as I have with Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy X was also one of my first games.

How about you?

Edited by Fubzy

Final Fantasy (NES) for me. It was the first game I personally obtained for myself, and I still have that exact copy from ~20 years ago. I was so proud when I beat it the first time, and I've gone back and beaten it at least once a year since.

Really a masterpiece of a game for its time.

Ms Furuba.... you are pure evil..... how can I pick between them....

After some heavy thinking I can get it down to three which are

Final Fantasy, Tales series, Shin Megami Tensei/Persona

Hmmmm after some more thinking I have to go with Shin Megami Tensei/Persona,

I feel that as a whole there is more range of game style, I get more emotionally attached into the stories where the Tales series I enjoy it as I love the style of game but some of the stories are lacking at parts.

Why did I not vote Final Fantasy is hard thing to discuss but I would have to say and I know some FF lovers are going to hate me but I feel some of the games (not all only some) tries to force the story onto you, not let you grow to enjoy it

Ms Furuba.... you are pure evil..... how can I pick between them....

Oh, you know me, here to fuck shit up for everyone!

http://i.imgur.com/aYfE9.gif

Why did I not vote Final Fantasy is hard thing to discuss but I would have to say and I know some FF lovers are going to hate me but I feel some of the games (not all only some) tries to force the story onto you, not let you grow to enjoy it

That's interesting. I've never actually heard someone say that. I've seen people not liking the characters, but I never saw someone think the stories are forced onto the player :think: But that's cool though, I'm not pointing out your opinion negatively or anything :)

As much as I enjoyed the Tales games I've played thus far, there's something that prevents me from loving them as much as other RPGs. I think what I think of the stories can be summed up in one sentence: The stories are well-made, but lack the factor that engages the player, which is crucial. At least this goes for me. Everything else in the franchise is top-notch (although I do think the music could be a bit more memorable).

Out of those probably Tales since I did play Tales of Eternia on PS1 which was known as Tales of Destiny II in America. Can't really count Persona since I didn't play the series until Persona 3 FES, Final Fantasy I borrowed X from a friend since I never heard of the series before then and the others I didn't play them until more recent additions or ports. If the earlier Atelier games would have been localized, that would get my vote since that series began in 1997.

Final Fantasy. I only started playing the Tales franchise yesterday, and I haven't played any of the others... so I guess that makes it the only option :p Even if I had played them though, I'd likely still pick Final Fantasy. FFVII is what got into RPG gaming, if not gaming in general.

Oh, you know me, here to fuck shit up for everyone!

*Snip*

that image made me laugh was almost the first thing I seen after walking into work.

It is odd for me as I have loved almost every Final Fantasy game.... excluding the online ones, stupid online. I even played the series like tactics and other side projects on DS and loved them.

But out of the ones listed I seem to enjoy the stories of Shin Megami Tensei games a lot more and even play a lot of them more then once.

I still love my FF games and I know I am fighting a losing battle here.

Well furuba-chan for me it's definitely final fantasy. I remember playing 4 and 6 during my childhood and being blown away. I also grew up during the "golden age" of final fantasy (7-9). Simply amazing games with 8 being my favorite :)

They aren't nearly as good nowadays but at one time final fantasy reigned king :D

I'm one of those unfortunate folks who came late into the world of J-RPG so I don't know much about each series. >< Thanks to two good friends of mine who introduced me to Nihon Falcom with the Ys series, I get to enjoy J-RPG more than ever. So far, I've only completed イース フェルガナの誓い (Ys: The Oath in Felghana) and still love everything about it even now. ^ ^

----> +1 for Ys series

None of them, voting for Suikoden, best J-RPG franchise I've ever played :p

Well, if I had to choose between the ones in the poll, I'd go with the Final Fantasy series. Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite game right after Suikoden II.

Regarding the current situation, Tales of is the best J-RPG franchise at the moment, though. The franchise has never disappointed me compared to Final Fantasy, I still don't like Final Fantasy XIII. I set my hope on Final Fantasy XV, please, Square Enix, don't let me down.

Edited by Haptism

Well furuba-chan for me it's definitely final fantasy. I remember playing 4 and 6 during my childhood and being blown away. I also grew up during the "golden age" of final fantasy (7-9). Simply amazing games with 8 being my favorite :)

They aren't nearly as good nowadays but at one time final fantasy reigned king :D

I knew you'd post here fellow Squall-fan! ^^

I'd say the golden age of Final Fantasy was VI-X ;) Unless you just mean their PS1 games. And Final Fantasy will take its top spot again one day, just you wait! :D

I'm one of those unfortunate folks who came late into the world of J-RPG so I don't know much about each series. >< Thanks to two good friends of mine who introduced me to Nihon Falcom with the Ys series, I get to enjoy J-RPG more than ever. So far, I've only completed イース フェルガナの誓い (Ys: The Oath in Felghana) and still love everything about it even now. ^ ^

----> +1 for Ys series

I'm glad to hear you've joined the Nihon Falcom fanbase ユミさん! :hug: I'm glad you can enjoy these great games, and the Ys series still gets some lovin'. :)

None of them, voting for Suikoden, best J-RPG franchise I've ever played :p

I would've totally put Suikoden on the list because it's definitely an RPG classic but I was trying to keep it to franchises that continued to this gen. Too bad Suikoden hasn't been released here in almost a decade though, and the last game released in 2012 didn't fare too well in Japan. :(

I would've totally put Suikoden on the list because it's definitely an RPG classic but I was trying to keep it to franchises that continued to this gen. Too bad Suikoden hasn't been released here in almost a decade though, and the last game released in 2012 didn't fare too well in Japan. :(

I'm still hoping that there will be a new Suikoden on PS Vita or PS4 sometime. I mean, while there's life, there's hope. Very optimistic, I know.

Which reminds me, when it comes to RPGs, the Kiseki series is where it's at for Falcom. Ys, while being a good series, does not feel like it belongs with the rest of the choices (since it virtually has no story). But I guess many people here don't know how good the Kiseki games are because the only localized game are the early PSP titles, heh.

Which reminds me, when it comes to RPGs, the Kiseki series is where it's at for Falcom. Ys, while being a good series, does not feel like it belongs with the rest of the choices (since it virtually has no story). But I guess many people here don't know how good the Kiseki games are because the only localized game are the early PSP titles, heh.

I was actually tied between Kiseki and Ys when putting a Nihon Falcom option in there, but like I said earlier, I went with games that everyone could fairly choose, considering Ys got localised on Vita as well as previous PSP games. :D

I've pretty much played every classic RPG, but from the choices on this list, it's a tie Between the SNES era Final Fantasy games and Phantasy Star.

I'm not a huge fan of the Phantasy Star shift to the online part, I preferred the original games.

All of the choices are great series though, been playing all of them since the beginning.

How could you miss Breath of Fire, though? :eek:

How could you miss Breath of Fire, though? :eek:

Like I said earlier, I went with game franchises that have continued to this era and consoles. Breath of Fire's last release was 2002 on PS2, with a 2014 PC release incoming. I'm trying to stick with recent releases of PlayStation classics.