This game is bullshit

Lil_Mermaid_Girl

The AI is beyond unfair in the races. On the car race where you have to collect precursor stuff early on once you have it all (which is easy to get but long) you get 2 minutes to get back to the city which should be plenty of time. But the AI cars then jam you no matter how good you drive and they become more powerful literally stopping your car by coming at you from all directions even if they were all behind you before you got the last artifact. Cars that just spawn and come at you from nowhere = b.s. AI.

The very next mission has you racing on leapers. If you hit an AI leaper you get knocked back and stunned briefly. If the AI hits you, you get stunned and knocked back. They NEVER get stunned or knocked back but you do every time. This is obviously unfair since we're all racing on the exact same creatures.

Both of these scenarios are just examples of how the developers made the game "challenging". But neither are skill based, they're b.s. AI cheating methods.

The shooting parts are fine, but it seems the devs had a desire to make the world's worst racing game but were told they had to make an adventure game so they settled for adding in crappy races at every chance they got.

The AI is beyond unfair in the races. On the car race where you have to collect precursor stuff early on once you have it all (which is easy to get but long) you get 2 minutes to get back to the city which should be plenty of time. But the AI cars then jam you no matter how good you drive and they become more powerful literally stopping your car by coming at you from all directions even if they were all behind you before you got the last artifact. Cars that just spawn and come at you from nowhere = b.s. AI.

The very next mission has you racing on leapers. If you hit an AI leaper you get knocked back and stunned briefly. If the AI hits you, you get stunned and knocked back. They NEVER get stunned or knocked back but you do every time. This is obviously unfair since we're all racing on the exact same creatures.

Both of these scenarios are just examples of how the developers made the game "challenging". But neither are skill based, they're b.s. AI cheating methods.

The shooting parts are fine, but it seems the devs had a desire to make the world's worst racing game but were told they had to make an adventure game so they settled for adding in crappy races at every chance they got.

This game really had too many races which I felt they should have not done as much. The AI wasn't all that great. After finishing the game I felt like the game could had been better.

I completely agree. The ramming and fragility of your car is just ridiculous. It's as if the AI could have a nuclear bomb go off right next to them and they'd be fine, but as soon as a bit of dirt hits your car, you get flipped. :facepalm:

I found that the best way to avoid being rammed in the desert was to turn to the left or right as they were lining up to ram you from a distance. I could anticipate when they were going to do it and was able to avoid it. Once I unlocked the big jumping car, I just stuck to using that because I could just jump over them as they tried to ram me and laugh when I drove off.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Jak 1 was good. Simple, not cheap, and you had to be careful.

Jak 2 was a big pile of crap. Everything was wrong with that game.

Jak 3 was also a pile of crap, just not as bad as Jak 2. But overall, it's not as good as everyone says it is.

I remember everyone telling me that Jak & Daxter was more story-based than other games and it had a great plot. Wrong. It's an okay series and nothing to really write home about.

The fact that Naughty Dog even tried to have a rivalry along with Insomniac's Ratchet & Clank it just sad. R&C is a superior series with better gameplay, storyline, writing, and characters. Speaking of bad characters, I really hated Daxter. He literally did nothing but act as comedy relief and break things. He only became somewhat useful in Jak 3, after the trilogy was more than two-thirds finished.

• 4 weeks later...

This game basicly sucks, controls sucks, camara sucks, jumping sucks, and the AI is all bullshit. I don't know how anyone could get past the first level of this game. Over and Over and Over BS BS BS BS. I think my trophies for this game will be at 0% not going to get frustrated by this game anymore.

almost remindes me of Spawn the eternal for the PS1

Edited by NoctisFFVs13

playing this back on ps2, I absolutely loved this game. but I also rather mastered (kind of) jak 2 on ps2 as well. with jak 3 being almost identical to jak 2, I didn't have as much trouble. from memory I can say that jak 3 is much more fair than jak 2 was back then. and it's definitely a bigger game too. :) I personally had a lot of fun with the races. BUT on ps3 it may be different so we shall see. :cool: damn slow downloading internet though..

Yea, the AI drivers are there just to fuck your shit up. Outside of races, the enemy drivers, instead of shooting you like they should, try to ram you as if their lives depended on it. And don't get me started on those driving controls. But then again, the PS3 controller is much more sensitive than the PS2 controller.

Edited by BlueWarden

after playing this game for a bit, races and all. I can honestly say what bothers me most is that they literally blind your vision with all the damn sand in one of the missions I played, I ended up laughing at that crap lol. as for the racers, I mostly try to dodge them and shoot them down. :) the grenade launchers kill them with one shot, possibly 2 racers with one shot.

Why,just why there has to be races in an adventure game?

I hate dem racing games,i want an awesome adventure game and all i get is crappy races.

Jak and ratchet and clank games are good examples but in R&C those where still doable.

I thought the racing was actually kinda welcome (to me anyway), it's just the vehicle controls take a lot of getting used to (I get flipped over a few times myself lol). but while the marauders were kind of annoying, I can say they can be dodged with a few swerving maneuvers, just kind of goes wrong at times. but that blinding mission with the massive sand storm was a tad annoying, that was about it.

• 5 months later...

Hated almost all the races, hated the skateboard, hated almost everything this game has to offer. Im glad you can glitch the orbs and easily farm the skullheads, I would hate to do more minigames and races in this awful and mediocre game. They couldnt even do a decent pacman ripoff, the original being from 30 years ago is way more funny than the garbage they put in this.

The only thing salvageable for me are some dexter lines that are hilarious.

I dont know. Played j&d, was funny even with its awful cameras and controls (that damned double jump, damn), but I loved collecting all that stuff, and they took their effort in making it all clear and accesible (you knew if you had left something somewhere). Skipped the 2nd as I saw too many rants about the checkpoint system and races, and after playing the first missions with a secondary account. However, this 3rd has already made me enrage so many times I feel I wasted my time playing it. I guess If I had given any serious opportunity to platinum the 2nd I would still be drowning in my own misery.

For now is the worst HD compillation I've played, as the mechanics are way too bad and obsolete. Most of the models dont look well nowadays and I dont think they tweaked anything at all. And FMU the Vita versions are plain awful, I'm sorry for the guys playing them.

• 4 weeks later...

After somehow finding the strength to finish the piece of shit that was Jak 2, I vowed never to play the third instalment.

For some reason unbeknown to be, I played it. Boy, was that a mistake. Jak 3 is somehow worse than Jak 2. In fact it's the worst game I can ever remember playing. If I ever finish it (and it's looking unlikely because the last boss is FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE), then I absolutely cannot wait to take a hammer and smash my vita cartridge to tiny little pieces. Then I'm gonna post those pieces back to Naughty Dog with a big FUCK YOU note.

I agree, this game is shit. I can't remember much of it from the PS2 days, but I seemed to remember it was good then. It isn't.

I spent about 10 attempts getting past the first Arena battle in the tutorial, as somehow i found myself in the lava due to terrible controls or camera angles, or both. As well as cheap hits from the enemies. Now I'm on my 5th attempt on the first race as you get rammed to fuck constantly, which means your vehicle gets turned or knocked upside down. Then they make the enemy speed so that you literally have to race the perfect race to win. I got knocked into a tree on the first lap and had to reverse out. Nailed every boost until the end of the race and didn't crash at all, and still finished 2 corners behind first.

It's incredible how they can make one of the best games of all time with the first game, and completely fucking butcher the sequels. Hint: stick to your roots, don't try and be something you're not. Leave GTA to adults, and leave platforming with cool fancy weapons to Ratchet and Clank.

lol all the hate is funny to me. The game is meant to be hard, no need to cry about it. Master it and laugh at it. The Original PS2 versions or PS3 collection are MUCH better than the vita version in performance and stability thus much easier to master the game on. I've probably finished Jak II and 3 on PS2 at least 5 times a piece and once each on both the PS3 and Vita collections with nothing but success. Also I like what they did to "spice up" the platforming genre, wouldn't have had it any other way :)

I agree, this game is shit. I can't remember much of it from the PS2 days, but I seemed to remember it was good then. It isn't.

I spent about 10 attempts getting past the first Arena battle in the tutorial, as somehow i found myself in the lava due to terrible controls or camera angles, or both. As well as cheap hits from the enemies. Now I'm on my 5th attempt on the first race as you get rammed to fuck constantly, which means your vehicle gets turned or knocked upside down. Then they make the enemy speed so that you literally have to race the perfect race to win. I got knocked into a tree on the first lap and had to reverse out. Nailed every boost until the end of the race and didn't crash at all, and still finished 2 corners behind first.

It's incredible how they can make one of the best games of all time with the first game, and completely fucking butcher the sequels. Hint: stick to your roots, don't try and be something you're not. Leave GTA to adults, and leave platforming with cool fancy weapons to Ratchet and Clank.

Couldn't agree more, this game is arse. I recall liking Jak II (albeit I didn't quite finish the game) when I was younger, but coming back to it now reveals the game to be boring as shit. Absolutely pointless powers. This game had presentation in spades, but nothing in the way of compelling gameplay. It also ended off the trilogy in about the cheesiest (see: cringeworthiest) manner possible story-wise.

Too many races, and made about the same mistakes as Jak II. It's really quite annoying that they couldn't decide what they were. The first game was good and had the potential to grow into a platformer with some additional powers. I would have completely left out the races, the gta-style open world and missions and the guns. What's worse is that I was told that Jak 3 was the best Jak game and fixed everything wrong with Jak 2.

As you say, Ratchet and Clank does the type of gameplay found in Jak 2/3 far better, and there's an example of a game that hasn't aged poorly. Jak 2 and 3 were like a transgendered hooker, confused as to what they really wanted to be and whose various elements didn't mesh together to create a unified whole. The Jak trilogy, thanks to the sequels, has left a sour taste in my mouth. I respect Naughty Dog mostly for Crash Bandicoot and Uncharted, but Jak didn't age well at all. I suspect I'll like The Last of Us as well, but I haven't included it because it's as of yet unplayed.

Edited by TrustCrusher