After Jak 1 & 2 this game is a godsend

Zelos

Seriously, I hated so much about the first two games (and also made some posts regarding that matter on the Jak 1 board) but this game is actually genuinely fun to me.

Jak 1 was... well, okay. I'd give it 5/10. I just couldn't bear with the controls, the camera, the music and some very stupid game design choices. And I thought the second one would improve on that.

Jak 2 hit me in the face so hard that I wouldn't give it more than 3/10. The only things I liked about the first game were taken away and replaced with HORRIBLE HORRIBLE game design (no health crates in some missions - sometimes 15 minutes of gameplay without a checkpoint) and controls that were even worse than whatever the first game had. I never raged so hard at a game before.

Now that I'm playing Jak 3 immediately after I find it to be 100x better than the first two games.

I started playing with some kind of "oh god, let's just get this trilogy over with" mentality but quickly noticed that nearly everything I hated about the first two games just isn't there.

The music is much better, the driving controls actually feel right this time, the difficutly isn't totally off like in Jak 2 and they seem to have learned how to set checkpoints in a way that doesn't frustrate players.

I saw the reviews on all three games. They all had a 8/10 average or more and I seriously can't understand that.

The third one certainly deserves that score but Jak 1 and 2 are really just below-average and nothing more.

i agree jak 2 was really frustrating in some levels and jak1 other characters designs were kinda lame jak3 was the beat cuase of all the new things they added but i do love all 3 jaks ...jak2 was the far diffcult game i ever played wen i was kid it took like a week to pass it lol

While I disagree with your dislike for the first 2 games, I definitely agree that Jak 3 was the best in the series.

It felt like it really balanced the gameplay, both in terms of difficulty, and in the variety of mission types (desert driving, platforming, shooting, etc).

am not trying to say that jak1 and jak2 are horrible games i like all 3three of them its just jak1 and jak2 has a bit of issues

• 3 weeks later...

The first game is a no for me. I don't like the characters, the landscape, gameplay...

But than, suddenly something changed at Naughty Dog. The 2nd game was completely different. From a poo game to my very favorite! Same with Jak 3! 2nd and 3th game are my very favorites.

And about the difficulty, I think they changed it in the HD version. I had a lot more effort to complete these games than the PS2 version..

I definitely like Jak & Daxter 1 the most, it's just simple and fun. I think Jak 2 and 3 are tied on second place for me, I can't really say I prefer one over the other. Maybe Jak 2? I can't say. Anyways, I like all 3 very much and I still have all of them for PS2. I prefer the first game just because it doesn't mess around too much and I just generally liked Jak a tad bit more when he didn't say a word. It made Daxter feel so much more important as he was the voice of the duo, in the later games Daxter doesn't have as big of a role (and that's probably why the 2 other games are called Jak 2&3). The first game may have had some camera issues but in the other 2 games the issues just seemed to escalate with the introduction of guns and such.

All in all, they're all great games and I very much recommend anyone who is not a graphics whore to play them. :)

• 2 weeks later...

And about the difficulty, I think they changed it in the HD version. I had a lot more effort to complete these games than the PS2 version..

that's because you beat it before,jak 2 is just as frustrating as it was on ps2,almost every time you take damage you lose 2 blocks of health (why do they even give us 8 health blocks when you always only can take 3 hits?),not a single health crate in missions were you really need them and still the total lack of checkpoints (the mission where you have to protect the bomb guys was driving me insane!)

i think they might have tweaked some of the time limits though,i remember the mission where you have to pick up the 4 rebels,on ps2 i think i had like 5 seconds left,on ps3 it was 60 seconds,but i'm not sure (this was the hardest mission for me on ps2,i had to take a break from the game for 6 months after killing a controller,on ps3 i beat it on the first try)

jak 3 is by far the best,jak 1 is still pretty good for it's age,and jak 2 is utter crap,it's even worse than it was back then if you are used to todays games,i'm not gonna lie,i had more fun re-playing dmc2 than i had with jak 2

it's a shame really,with a few tweaks (more health crates,more checkpoints,enemies doing less damage,more durable vehicles) they could have turned it into a really good game

jak 3 is by far the best,jak 1 is still pretty good for it's age,and jak 2 is utter crap,it's even worse than it was back then if you are used to todays games,i'm not gonna lie,i had more fun re-playing dmc2 than i had with jak 2

it's a shame really,with a few tweaks (more health crates,more checkpoints,enemies doing less damage,more durable vehicles) they could have turned it into a really good game

Yeah I definitely agree, Jak 2's difficulty stood in the way of making it as enjoyable as Jak & Daxter but I think naughty dog found the balance of challenging and fun gameplay with Jack 3 (well placed checkpoints etc)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like Jak 2 or 3. I loved Jak 1 back on PS2 and now that I;ve finally played 2 & 3 I feel like anything I liked about the series has been ripped apart and tainted. I really can't stand them. 2 was ok at first until the ridiculous difficulty set in.

I can't get into 3 at all. The 1st car challenge where you have to collect artifacts is fine and I do it no problem, until you have to head back to the city in under 60 seconds. The AI cars block me to where I can't move, they get to come out of nowhere. I got there with less than 2 seconds both times I had to do the race because they blocked me no matter how hard I tried to stay away from them and spots I could get blocked on. Then the very next mission is a race on Leapers. I do fine but the other leapers hit me and I bounce around crazy and it screws you up. Yet when I hit them they go on like nothing even touched them.

2 & 3 also took away the goggles where you could look through Jak's eyes and have full view of everything which I find so annoying. It really helped in 1 I don't know why they took it away. 2 & 3 are just set up to be unfair. I guess ND thought people liked re-doing things a bunch of times with crappy controls and unfair difficulty. I haven't played a game with such unfair AI as this in quite awhile.

• 4 months later...

For me it was Jak III > Jak and Daxter > Jak II

Jak III - After starting a bit slow, the game really picks up and plays well.

Jak and Daxter - Very easy, fun, retro 3D platforming experience.

Jak II - Had many issues which clamped its potential. I like it to an extent, but I certainly understand people's frustration with it.

All three games do one thing that most games don't for me. I actually enjoyed the cut scenes, lol a lot. Have to give points there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

after playing through all the games, jak 3 is still my favorite :) jak 1 was great too, with it's colorful art style and simple but enjoyable gameplay, it really stood out (damn jumpy camera though) and I loved playing jak 3 again, sure the vehicle gameplay was...ok but overall I liked the game :) was nice to play these again, the vehicle controls could have been better (plus I flipped a few times lol)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Jak 2 is a "good" game, but is simply not fun! You actually play just to finish it, and you can't wait this to happen!

I came to this topic to decide if i play or not Jak 3, but since you guys are saying it's a lot better than two I'll give it a shot

After playing the first 2 missions of Jak II on a sepparate profile and seeing so many bad feedbacks in this site, I told myself I wouldnt go for its platinum.

I guess my profile will just display j&d and hopefully, this jak 3. A shame but I cant stand such explossive combination of bad controls+bad cameras+too few checkpoints, moreover if the platform genre is not one of my preferred ones.

BTW, have had already a few enrages with the vehicles in Jak 3 lol.

Jak 3 is a welcome relief after Jak 2. Barely struggled with any mission. There are actually checkpoints in places you'd expect them. The only thing that annoyed me was the driving and the fact that naughty dog made it 600 orbs. 600? Seriously? Don't devs realise people hate collectibles? Especially when there are that many.