Flight Characteristics

WOW. That is really all I can say about this game. Let me preface all this by saying this is coming form someone with real flying experience to include a WWII era aircraft.

ATROCIOUS!

Now granted I am just barely getting stated playing this game... Chipping away at the simulator training mission right now and I had to stop to write this because I am so upset with this game. I have never played the PC versions but I can't tell you how many hours I've put in on MS Flight Sim from 98 on up to X and inbetween as well as X-Plane 9 and numerous combat flight sims, Janes in the old days and other newer ones.

I could go get in a Cessna 172 and have a better chance at making a steep turn without a stall than in a Spitfire in this game.

Case and point: throttle full open...acceleration crawlllllls up... go inverted, wings level slight pitch down to maintain airspeed...pull back nice and slow wings still no bank...attempting to pull all the way through till I am straight and level again. Flying at a 45 deg down angle pulling through... stall... still at 375mph and GOING DOWN. WINGS LEVEL.

W

T

F

Yes I am getting the hang of flying...their way. but that is not flying at all. It is crawling a gruelingly slow pace making it near impossible to complete maneuvers these aircraft should be capable of.

I've yet to try my Saitek X45 on the PS3... doubt that will help unless I only blow on the stick to move it.

MASSIVE disappointment. And I am very surprised to see there is no one else raging about this on these forums...or maybe there is a magic gnome that needs to come shit on my controller so it will work right?

Alright I vented, I feel better now :whistle: Back to learning how to fly all over again

I agree that the flight characteristics weren't the best, which is somewhat related to the fact that it's a console game imo.

Personally I actually found it better once I started using a joystick, but that's maybe because I've always been used to flying that way. :p

Also be sure to know the aircraft you're flying, for example a lot of people complained that the P-51 had a horrendous flight characteristic and that they weren't able to perform any acrobatics in it. :think:

But a real P-51 would have a 85 gallon fuel tank, located aft of the pilot seat, which would bring the center of gravity dangerously close to the aft limit. In order to accomplish any maneuvers you would have had to almost completely deplete that fuel tank and drop your external tanks.

So there is some truth in the flight characteristics, although I never actually tested if the in-game P-51's maneuvering performance increased after depleting most of its fuel.

Also, as a real pilot, you should know that flight characteristics in simulators never will be any real good. A simulator is only good for teaching you certain procedures, e.g. takeoff or landing etc.

EDIT: You can also try adjusting the elevator sensitivity in the settings if you keep stalling (I wouldn't recommend touching the aileron sensitvity).

Just remember that the more you turn the elevator sensitivity down, the less tighter you'll be able to turn. So don't turn it down too much or you'll find yourself getting outturned.

Edited by Aruberikku

Joystick helped a fair bit... that along with decreasing the sensitivity a lot which effectively expands your range of motion and allows you to move a bit quicker on the stick without it going it a hissy hit and suddenly rolling you 180 degrees for no apparent reason. Of course I see the point they want to you realize you can't be all herky jerky with the controls in a real aircraft, smooth is everything. But I can't imagine the circumstance (which is all the time in this game!) when an aircraft will just decide it wants to fly on its back all of a sudden!

Anyway I went back to trying to top off my platinum on HAWX 2 which will be my first... Not sure if I will come back to this game.

Also as far as simulators go -- not true at all about not being any good. Yes, computer games are no good but real simulators are wonderful. Hell, you can log actual hours in X-Plane 9...that is, X-Plane 9 being the engine behind a real full on sim. But the point is X-Planes dynamics are spot on in a lot of areas. There is a reason it advertises that it uses blade element theory (fluid dynamics) on the box. If you know what that means (most engineers mechanical or aero which I am would know), their models are pretty complex for an off the shelf computer sim.

It's not a flight simulator, and never claimed to be :whistle:

It's just a flight game, and a good one at that. The console generation is one that would never buy into flight simulators, so I see no reason why you should be complaining that this one isn't a good flight sim. If you want flight sims, buy them for the PC where they're actually flight simulators, and not flying games.

Don't complain that these console flight games are nothing like PC simulators when they already exist. The PC and PS3 are two COMPLETELY different gaming machines with different audiences, SO STOP COMPLAINING AND GO BACK TO THE PC! :p

• 2 weeks later...