How Ico And Shadow of the Colossus Are Connected (spoilers for both)

OK so having beat both games, it's really interesting how the stories are connected.

-The 16 colossi are fragments of the demon Dormin.

-After you beat each colossi you see a shadow figure (similar to the ones in Ico)

-What we know from Ico is that anyone with horns is put into that chamber and turned into a shadow figure.

-What we know from SOTC is that the main hero becomes possessed by all the shadow figures making up the demon. The main hero is stripped of this and somewhat purified and reincarnates as a horned baby.

Conclusion:

-So we know the baby grows up and eventually leaves and reproduces. Other people are born with horns which is taken as a bad omen.

-The queen in Ico is most likely reversing the purification on the horned babies and recreating the shadowy fragments of the colossi. Just as the demon was able to bring the girl back to life, the fragments of its power still exist and is able to constantly keep the queen young.

What's interesting is that as you kill colossi and more shadow people hover over you, there's also more doves over the girl. So something evil is being resurrected but at the same time there seems to be something beautiful and pure being formed. So there just seems to be a strong indication of a light/dark balance in this world that no matter how evil a power emerges, a good power also comes forth.

In that sense the hero in SOTC did eventually find redemption as the monk wished for through his offspring Ico.

There's just so much more subtle details and things I could be missing to tell the complete story of both games, but they're definitely worth another playthrough so you can put them all together.

• 5 months later...

Just doing a re-play-through myself and I think...that Dormin is not fully evil. Dormin is a powerful being, who is both evil and good at the same time. Killing the Colossi somehow caused the shadow parts to possess Wander. The reason is, Dormin speaks with both a male and female voice but at the end you hear only the male voice...

After all, Dormin never forced Wander to do anything, and it told Wander the price he paid would be heavy. Some think that Dormin tricked Wander but it is hard to say...perhaps Dormin itself is a dual being who both wants to help and hurt (which is exactly what Wander is doing...killing Colossi to help another...)

Is it also possible that Mono is not really resurrected at all but rather is also possessed by the "good" part of Dormin? (I read this theory on another forum). This would also explain the light/dark aspects of the Queen.