Hesitant to play this game

I just finished Ico the other day and I was going to start SotC. Even though I've heard this is one of the top games of all time, I'm fearful it will be 50 hours worth of the colossus fights from Castlevania Lords of Shadow, which I didn't enjoy too much. Hopefully the Castlevania fights were just cheap knock offs that didn't know how to do it right but I'm not sure. Any input?

Hopefully the Castlevania fights were just cheap knock offs that didn't know how to do it right but I'm not sure. Any input?

In my opinion the Castlevania fights weren't half as good as the ones in SotC and they were totally trying to copy this game... and they failed. I was blown away by the fights in SotC when I first played it... but that was back in 2007, mind you.

I would suggest trying it at least, on another account first if you're really worried about your trophy list.

I originally played Shadow of the Colossus way back in 2005/2006 when it first came out. I played Castlevania: Lords of Shadow a few months ago. Castlevania pretty much did do it as a cheap knock-off, however Castlevania had a lot more going for it in terms of story, narrative, and combat. Now Shadow of the Colossus only has the colossi battles going for it. This may sound boring but each colossus is a unique experience and the lack of other things gives the game a unique feel to it.

I'm playing SOTC for the first time right now and... it's unique. The narrative is minimal, but emotional for sure. The mechanics of the game are unfortunately a product last generation, so the camera is unwieldy and the horse riding is poor at best. Of course, the battles are interestingly designed and the colossi are all uniquely engaging.

12 colossi in, the game is definitely worth a play through or two, but I think it'll be too frustrating to play for the platinum.

• 6 months later...

The campaign is an unique experience.

The platinum on the other side is way more frustrating than hard. I mean, some colossi HTA are hard as hell, but luck is sometimes even more necessary than skill. Sometimes is just a matter of which parch of hair are you pulling to mark the difference between you making a chain of full charged attacks, and you shouting FUUUUUU to the screen seeing in despair how Wander is flailed from one side to the other without being able to do anything while his stamina depletes fully.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The plat isn't hard as it is more time consuming. Raising the Stamina meter took me at least 5 full playthroughs.

i disagree. The plat IS really hard, not only time consuming. Some of the hard time attacks (notably #3, 4 and 15; especially #3: imagine to beat him on normal in 5:30:00, then add to this on hard: 30 sec less time, one additional crevice, less damage, a lot of frustration) are really HARD.

I think many Plat dreams were shattered by #3 HTA alone :eek:

But aside from this optional stuff (at least third playthrough for HTA) the game is really fun and one of my alltime favourites.:)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This game is awesome, loved it on PS2, love it now. The game FEELS different then most games, I love how they accomplished a feeling almost like your isolated in an open world besides having these massive creatures hiding somewhere.

However the game does have a couple annoyances like the horse riding, i might be in a minority here but I feel like the controls for Agro are just garbage, I feel like I'm driving a god damn tank or something. The character can also be a bit "over board" with how clumsy he is lol. But these are things that won't break the game for you, just some small things.

The game overall is amazing and you won't find another game quite like this one. The platinum definitely IS difficult though, and long. Will need at least 6 playthrough's and good luck with some of the Colossi on Hard Time Attack. But the game is doable for most people, just takes some strategy and patience.

:dance:

However the game does have a couple annoyances like the horse riding, i might be in a minority here but I feel like the controls for Agro are just garbage, I feel like I'm driving a god damn tank or something. The character can also be a bit "over board" with how clumsy he is lol. But these are things that won't break the game for you, just some small things.

To me, the controls are absolutely game breaking. I'm not even at the 1st colossus and I feel like I'm going to throw up because of the camera...and I've spent time to adjust it the best I could. The auto-focus is driving me insane. If I want to look to the side, I should be able to do that without it "fixing" itself or me having to turn all the time. I'm to the point I may just leave this as a 0%....I'm not enjoying this game one bit. I really wish I could kill the damn horse too.

Edit: The controls were so screwy trying to get up the 1st colossus. I'm shelving this game, likely for good.

Edited by Floorkiller74

• 1 month later...

I was extremely excited when this became available on ps+ as I had been aware of all the praise it had received but I never got round to playing it on PS2. Now that I have I'll be honest, I can't see what all the fuss was about. I've only beaten the 1st colossus, but the controls, the camera, even just trying to navigate the stupid horse, I thought all of these things where extremely poor. I may give it another go at some point just for the trophies, but even then I know that there is no way that this would ever feature on my list of greatest games.

Edited by BEER MONSTER

• 2 months later...

This game is up their in "art" and :style" with games like Journey. I personally like it for its simplicity, even though its not if you sit back and realize what it is you are doing to accomplish taking down a colossi.

It is out dated though. The controls are clunky and the horse.. well... I think I read somewhere that they designed the horse to be less responsive than the player would want.. Cold be making that up though. When it was released in 2005 I feel it was one of the first games to features so few enemies (who also happened to be the levels/puzzles/bosses).

When it comes down to it I would recommend this game to anyone who really loves video games. I got HD version to replay one of my favorite PS2 games. I don't even care about the Plat, I wanted to replay it for the enjoyment.

I just finished Ico the other day and I was going to start SotC. Even though I've heard this is one of the top games of all time, I'm fearful it will be 50 hours worth of the colossus fights from Castlevania Lords of Shadow, which I didn't enjoy too much. Hopefully the Castlevania fights were just cheap knock offs that didn't know how to do it right but I'm not sure. Any input?

I never played it, saw a former friend do it and it seemed kind of bland.