Patch needed

I know playing Shadow of the Colossus on PS3 may be the first time for many people. For others like me, it isn't. For others like me, we took that game and ripped it apart. We did everything that could be done on that game. I know, too, that the PS3 version is seriously broken; the game has become extremely hard and it's not as fun as it was on the PS3 version.

I believe we deserve a patch for this game. I'm not discussing the idea of a patch coming out or not. I want to share with you guys my belief that this game is way harder that the original... the original had many hard parts, I know, but everything seemed possible. I don't believe on earning trophies or proving supremacy on a game based on luck. I remember losing grip on a colossus, but I don't remember losing it for every minor movement.

I haven't killed Gaius on the hard time attack, and that's the only thing keeping me from earning the platinum trophy on this game; but even before I got to that part, I could notice how the game mechanics were way worse than what I remember on the original version...

That's why I believe this game deserves a patch; a patch to make the game go back the way it was. I was amazed when I heard about the HD collection was in the works, but I am deeply disappointed with the changes... I preferred that the game was not HD and still was as play-able as the original.

What are your opinions?

Edited by atomskazePR
Mispell

I had the original and HD remake. PS3 version was more difficult due to smoother FPS (which is something the developer didn't envisage), but PS3 version never broke me.

Patch...maybe. Few slight problems like fruit through floor, etc.

Not the most difficult plat. I know Gaius is hard, but he is very beatable. I've done it numerous times.

There are definitely times when something seems utterly impossible compared to its PS2 counterpart, and even Hard compared to Normal (HTA vs NTA) some of the comparisons are ridiculous (in regards to PS2 counterpart). I've become so frustrated with HTA that I'm on hiatus and will probably leave Meticulous Collector as the last trophy until platinum.

I've completely finished the PS2 version...several times over the years...I really don't see much difference at all in the two versions...If it is harder, well maybe you should just get better at games and stop complaining. These days, games hold you by the hand through the entire friggin thing and I am sick of that, which is why I really hate most games.

I hear ya man. Castlevania Lords of Shadow ripped this game off to the point of blatant plagiarism in the titan's fights, but it controlled a hell of a lot better than this game. And you got a sound hint before the titan started shaking. It was a very short time window but it worked fine, in the sense of giving you a fair fight. its time attacks were challenging but the titan (colossus) ALWAYS behaved consistently, something unfortunately i cannot say for the remake of this game. Now why couldn't blue point fine tune this game like that?

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's more a matter of how easy games have gotten lately. It's not that it's impossible (definitely not broken), but when games like Assassin's Creed II have you pretty much tripping over trophies to hand you the Platinum, this one requires more effort. (Assassin's Creed has definitely changed that policy with the 100% synch, but that's besides the point. =P)

I mean, as the guy above me says: a game like Castlevania: LoS gives you extra warnings to when things will get more challenging. It becomes more reflex than gameplay.

I haven't gotten the Plat for this yet, but I will sit down ... get frustrated ... and eventually beat it. And still love every freaking second of it. =)

Yeah, I have to agree that the game isn't broken. Harder, perhaps.

But consider this: now that we live in the age of Youtube, we have a lot more easily accessible help for how to beat the hardest of the HTA. We have multiple different people's successful runs to study and learn from. On balance, I think the added challenge may be appropriate (though I am just taking everyone's word for it that it's actually harder... it's been too long since I played my PS2 copy for me to tell).

After finally beating #15 and #3 on HTA and getting the platinum, I felt like I had honed some advanced skill. Now I feel like it wouldn't be too crazy for me to take on Demon/Dark Souls after all. I think it's good that there are some games that truly make you sweat for your platinum.

It's definitely more difficult, even on normal mode. It's not broken though. It is possible to do as is obvious by the number of people with the trophy. I am probably closer to the bottom of the list of players in terms of skills but I was able to do it with enough study, practice, and patience. It just takes more patience than most want to put into it. It's a very rewarding platinum though. I felt like I actually accomplished something.

I don't think there's a patch necessary, and once you know what you're doing, you can breeze through the game no problem. It's the time attacks that are meaning of the word "frustration". You can do everything right, but Wander might not get his footing or the Colossi could wringle and move too much and you can't get a shot in before falling off or returning to the top again.

I've platinumed demon's souls, and I'll consider SotC a prouder platinum.

• 1 month later...

do you think it's harder now because the HD remakes features the original version?

i only wonder because of what i noticed on ICO. there are these parts around the area where you get the mace/shining sword. (and a few other puzzles) where the NA version had simplified the puzzles (like they dumbed it down for us) but Europe and Asia had what looked to be the original puzzles

Now with the PS3 remake we are playing the original versions of the games....so i wonder if the whole constantly losing your grip was something that always happened...just not in the NA version.

Im not saying this is exactly what happened...but just suggesting it due to the differences i've seen with Ico

I've completely finished the PS2 version...several times over the years...I really don't see much difference at all in the two versions...If it is harder, well maybe you should just get better at games and stop complaining. These days, games hold you by the hand through the entire friggin thing and I am sick of that, which is why I really hate most games.

I hope you've played demon's souls/dark souls :D

I've completely finished the PS2 version...several times over the years...I really don't see much difference at all in the two versions...

Well, it's undeniable that at least HTA is harder now.

Sometime it's because they have fixed some glitch like the one that allowed you to jump directly on the head of Gaius which you can see here [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncVcYpjdzbY]SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS Super Jump - YouTube[/ame]

Sometimes it's because they have tampered with Wander's balancing and footing, which is self evident in the belly section of HTA#3

Sometimes it's because they've tampered with the game timing which is evident in HTA#16, where you can't do the speed run any more

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CXKBxNfYs0]HTA #16[/ame]

• 2 weeks later...

Doing the HTAs are proving to be a major pain as I've only killed the first 2. I'm not sure if there's really much to be done for a patch though, it seems to me that the controls require some finesse like letting the grip button go for climbing multiple ledges. Hopefully this will get better as I get more used to the controls, but when Wander loses his grip for no apparent reason it's particularly irritating. Oh well rant over, now back to trying to kill these jerks in a semi unreasonable amount of time.

Yeah, any kind of patch that would actually fix the (lack of) stability issues in the PS3 version would be too much work, especially when we're talking about the re-release of a game this old, so that won't happen.

What they really should do though, is to make a small, simple patch that adds some time to the HTA time limits, at least on #3 and #15, and maybe a couple of the others, so the challenge of beating them falls more into line with the others.

Just the simple fact that it's literally impossible (at least as far as I know) to beat HTA3 legitimately, as in destroying his bracelet before climbing him, means that things aren't working as intended, and should be addressed in some way.

There's a video of a guy who is able to defeat Gaius without doing the sword jump. It's knocking around either youtube or Dailymotion. Struggling to find it, but I did watch it and it was the PS3 version. Cuts it very close and everything has to go smoothly to pull it off.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwgZbY3-HTc]Let's Play Shadow of the Colossus Hard Time Attack Mode: Colossus 3 1080P HD - YouTube[/ame]

Here's it being done, but it's PS2 version.

It is possible.

Edited by LaochEire

Yeah, I've seen that (or some other PS2 vid) before, but if anyone has a link to the video of someone doing it on the PS3 version, I'd definitely love to see it! :)

If you say it's possible, I can *just about* imagine that you're right, considering how I finally did it with almost 30 secs left on the clock, with lots of places where I could probably have shaved off a second or two, but it would be awesome seeing what it takes to do the whole fight legitimately!

• 2 weeks later...
they should really release a patch to reduce shaking for add another 1-2min in HTA #3 and #15

The colossi are not the problem. The problem is how wander's grab mechanic is programmed. Even if the colossus shakes a little tiny bit, he goes flying around like there is a fucking f-6 tornado or an 9.0 earthquake. Simply retarded.

• 4 weeks later...

It doesnt need a patch, i didnt notice any problems woth the game at all. It just took some research before trying the hard time attacks, i watched 2 vids before each time trial and beat them all in less than 5 tries. #3 took 3 tries and #15 took 1 try. I found nta #6 the hardest by far because i didnt do any research for it