XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > PS3 Games > Disc-Based PS3 Games > I (PS3) > ICO Collection: Shadow of the Colossus

Old 11-23-2011, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to LaochEire
Default Beat HTA 3....Some advice to those struggling.

Just beat the game on Hard mode yesterday and decided to try the HTA. I got to the dreaded Gaius and after reading all about this nightmare encounter I was worried. I've gotten through my fair share of crazy though trophies before (shock & awe in Arkham Asylum), but always win out in the end. Today was no different. In under 2 hours gameplay I beat Gaius with 13 seconds to spare.

This isn't a boasting thread because the previous day I spent nearly 8 hours playing him and failing miserably. I had to give up because my right wrist was messed up and painful. However, what was different today was I tried a new approach I read about on another gaming site so the following strategy is not my own.

First of all I think there's a slight lack of clarity in the trophy guide and the video posted below it. The guide is spot on in what it says, but doesn't do it in a descriptive manner and the video shows you what to do, but without a description or commentary you don't notice what he's actually doing. So I will try to best describe what I did and I even made mistakes during my run so it's sound advice (again not my own and I'm really combining the guide and video as well.

1.) Firstly, you're going to have to do the trick in the video of jumping from sword to leg to wrist bracelet.

2.) Secondly, climb up the two steps on the wrist bracelet and cling to his hair near his elbow. This is just a slight elevation. This is the beef of the strategy here. When you're on Gaius' arm he'll take 5 steps forward and turn. Turning doesn't matter it's just after he takes 4 to 5 steps he'll stop and begin to raise his right arm to perform his shaking to get you off. During the period were he stops after walking you need to drop to the bracelet 2nd step and jump to his midsection. If done quickly you can get 4 or 5 strong stabs on his midsection. If his sign is not gone when he regains his position and starts shaking and moving don't worry you'll be ok just continue attacking and trying your best.

3.) Thirdly, Jump back to bracelet and climb up arm again. Stop at the position you see in the video. Top of the shoulder. This still technically counts as his right arm so he'll begin to walk again and when he stops move to his head quickly and you should get 2-3 powerful stabs in. Don't chance your luck here and don't get greedy and go for more. Jump back to shoulder. Let him take his steps again and when he raises his arm go back and finish off the head.

4.) When the head sign goes move back to shoulder and let him walk and stop to raise his arm again. Move to left arm and finish off third symbol. At this stage you should have 45 secs or more to finish him off. Bear in mind he may regain composure and try and shake you off his left arm. Just hang on you'll be ok.

A few things to note. You need to let him make his steps and stop. When he stops you move. That's how you create the time to get good stabs in. Try not to advance too far at the head and slip to front of his face as you'll lose a full stab, but it's not the end of the world if it happens so don't retry if it happens.

Also, when you jump back from mid section to bracelet and climb for head you may not have to wait at the shoulder as Gaius will probably have started the right arm animation already. If he starts before you reach the top try not to cling and climb. Try to jump up without clinging as the arm will shake and you'll struggle to climb and waist valuable time.

I really hope this helps all those having trouble. I even went back and tested it again and beat him a second time within 40mins so it's definitely worth your time trying it.

So to conclude it all comes down to the right arm manipulation. He takes 5 or so steps and stops to raise and shake right arm. During this time he cannot defend the rest of his body for nearly 3-40 secs. Abuse this

Best of luck to you all.
LaochEire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

I see. This may help me if I can only get the hang of going bracelet to mid section, bracelet to midsection again. I've been severely reluctant to even try him again as he just pisses me off with his presence after failing to kill him in time for over a solid month.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well, thought it would but I can not seem to get on his mid section after a drop in time to get no more than 1-2 stabs. The camera is too disorienting for me.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

I saw this video

and jump to his right bracelet it's no more a problem, but all that left from now on, yes
the speed which the guy in the video charge his attack is more quickly then mine, he can perform 4 attack while when I'm luck I do 2-3.
When I go to his head I spend 2 minutes, 1 only for the last stab. The left arm is impossible, no matter what I try, I simply cannot stab 1 time 'cause he's continuily shaking his body
Old 11-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

I beat this today thanks to this guide. It took me 3 hours! And then I forgot to save my game and turned it off....luckily I beat it again within 20 minutes. Gaius is a pain, but it definitely is possible. I had 40 seconds to spare when I beat him the second time. Just keep trying!
Sneecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for feedback guys.

For those having trouble on the stomach. When you jump on his stomach after he raises is arm he should be bending over so you can get a good few stabs in uninterrupted. If not you have time to repeat the process.

If you are jumping to his stomach and Gaius is shaking seconds later you either jumped too early and didn't let the arm animation start or took way too long to jump from arm to stomach. Remember, let him take his 5 steps.

@bcscso: Shouldn't take that long on head and the arm is the easiest part of this time attack. Remember: do the arm trick of getting him to raise it. Get 2 to 3 good stabs in. Run back to right shoulder, let him take his steps and raise his arm. Go back and finish head.

Once head symbol gone. Go back to shoulder repeat trick and move to arm and you should get it uninterrupted or at least 2 full stabs in with 40 secs to finish the last stab.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

fiu, finaly i've did it, after call God and Jesus so many times...
after 1.20 the stomach was gone, but again some trouble with the head, I finish at 7 econds to the end

PS: I didn't remember so many problems with the control of Wander. It seems it's extremely slow to take the impulse from the pad
Old 12-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsceo View Post
fiu, finaly i've did it, after call God and Jesus so many times...
after 1.20 the stomach was gone, but again some trouble with the head, I finish at 7 econds to the end

PS: I didn't remember so many problems with the control of Wander. It seems it's extremely slow to take the impulse from the pad
Congrats! And yes, it is much slower...the PS3 version likes to be difficult.
Sneecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, apparently all the problems with Wander and the SOTC remake all stem from the increased FPS.

How? I don't know. But that seems to be what all the pro players from various fansites seem to be saying.

Congrats on beating him bcsceo.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

thank you guys for the help <3