Special Items?

Does anyone actually use the special items you get from completing the time attacks? I got the exploding arrows and it seems i only use those for killing those damn lizards when I cant pinpoint them scurrying about around the temples. I was wondering if they are any use to anyone.

The Cloak of Power / Mask of Power (NTA) and Queen's Sword (HTA) are good for killing colossi on subsequent playthroughs. That's about all I ever used.

Most of the items are purely worthless. Except for those that make you stronger, which one item would have been enough for, really.

I had all of them on the PS2 except for the stupid final sword because after I finally beat all of the colossi on HTA, the game glitched out on me and never gave me the last reward. (I assume it was because I didn't do them in order.)

However, about the items:

Whistle Arrow - DOESN'T EVEN WORK! First of all there aren't many colossi where this could prove useful and on those where it could, the colossi don't even react to it. The bearded one, number six, I think, I had invisibility on and tried to shoot the whisling arrow under the hide-out structure, but the colossus never even bothered to look until I took off the cloak. The lizardlike colossus whose battle the distraction would be perfect in, doesn't react either, no matter where you shoot the arrows, it won't even look into the direction, not to speak of going there to investigate.

Explosive Arrows - useless. Most of the weak points aren't in places you could aim at with them anyways and the ones you can shoot at - it's kind of hard with the colossi moving around, by the way - won't get destroyed either. You can damage the weakpoints to a certain degree but, despite the description, will still have to climb to them the old-fashioned way in order to deal a final blow to each of them. So basically, they are a waste of time, because you will still have to do the same work after you tried to shoot the weak spots for a while and with the strengthening items, the colossi go down with a minimum of stabs with the sword anyways. They can make killing the lizards easier, but there's a danger of glitching a lizard or losing the tail while it's not that much harder to kill them with regular arrows.

Invisibility - pointless. Most, if not all colossi are required to see you in order to get defeated. So if you want to do it the "normal" way, you need to let them see you. If you want to use one of the tricks, some of them will still need you to be seen, and for the rest it (a) doesn't matter if they see you, the trick works anyways, and (B) being invisible is sort of a handicap because it makes controling Wanda a lot harder if you don't know where you are exactly. You might have hoped invisibility would at least help you with the white tail lizards, but no, those can see you no matter what and will keep on trying to hide from you.

Thunder Harpoons - Now I must admit I haven't used them much, but from what I remember, they're basically like the explosive arrows, just stronger.

Parachute - useless. I know some people are abusing some sort of glitch to reach unused areas which is kind of cool to watch on youtube, but for the actual game, there's literally no use for it. Where ever you are allowed to go, you can fall down without worrying too much about health as the amount of health a fall takes away is laughable. If you use the parachute, all it actually does is make the fall take longer, so that's only good if you want to enjoy the view - in which case you wouldn't have jumped down to begin with, I'd say. During battles, if you fall of a colossus, it never hurts you enough to make much of a difference. I've played this game a lot and not once did I die from a fall. (Except when falling to "forbidden" areas, but I think you'll die there with the parachute as well.) If you get very, very lucky, when you fall off a colossus, the parachute might give you a second chance if you happen to grab the colossus again because of the parachute, but how often does that really happen? The spots usable for climbing on the colossus are way too specific anyways, so even if you can reach one, it won't even necessarily help you.

That's all I can think of for now. I must admit, as awesome as the game was back then and still is, as much of a let down were the bonus items. You'd think they would've put a little more thought into them, allowing you to approach the colossi in totally different manners, but no. The maps are very helpful, but was it really necessary to make them four of the rewards in total?

Changing the horse's colour is a nice bonus, but so far, it hasn't worked on the HD version for me. Maybe it only works on a new game.