Sequel

Eric-B14

I was just wondering because someone told me the people in ICO are descendents of the characters in Shadow of the colossus.

yea ppl say that shadow of the colossus is the prequel to ICO, true ICO came out first but, in shadow of the colossus the events led you to believe that shadow of the colossus is what really happend 1st, so they say..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Shadow of the Colossus is considered both a spiritual successor and prequel to Ico. For several months during and after the game's release, the game's director and lead designer, Fumito Ueda, maintained that the game's status as a prequel was simply his personal take on the game and not necessarily its canon nature, as he largely intended for players to decide the specifics of the story for themselves, but he confirmed the two do have a connection. Moreover, the shadowy figures which appear in the Shrine of Worship are connected to the shadows which the player must fight in Ico. Both games feature "horned" characters for protagonists (Wander sprouts horns at the end of the game). The Queen's Sword from Ico is also available as a bonus unlockable item. Both games also use unique fictional languages.

• 1 month later...
Didn't Fumito Ueda confirm that ICO and SOTC take place in the same universe awhile back? Though I also think he said he didn't plan it that way originally.

I think he did, also in SOTC if you ride to this area at the south west corner of the map, you'll see

[spoiler=123] the beach that Ico and Yorda wound up on, and IIRC, the castle they escape from

Edited by Qu1ck57r1k3

• 2 months later...

What is wrong with people? I saw some stupid things on this thread that I never imagined I'd see anyone say...Here's the facts:

***MAJOR SPOILER***

Shadow of the Colossus is a prequel to ICO.

In Shadow of the Colossus, you play as Wander of whom is progressively possessed by Dormin. By the end, you become a colossus of shadows, but are sealed back in with a spell from a sealer. Whatever spell that guy thought he used, the shadow creature you'd become was compressed into a smaller package, a baby with horns. The events leading to ICO aren't completely revealed, but I posted this info in another thread just minutes ago so here I go again.

After Wander was revived as a baby with horns, it's to be assumed that he grew older, had children and they had horns. Later own, theirs had horns and so on. Eventually, there were boys with horns all around.

A queen of some foreign land did not want to die, she wanted to live eternally and rule eternally, so looked for a way to keep herself young. She found some information about the events that occurred with Wander and managed to create a spell where she would lose her humanity all for the sake of living eternally. Her spell required these boys with horns of whom the shadows lived within as sacrifices. Which is why the shadows your encounter in ICO have horns, they were all boys with horns once.

She would create a younger shadow being, in the form of a young girl, to keep a youthful and female body, and would use those shadows as sacrifices to transfer her soul into Yorda's body and take over. The shadows are to be used in a condensed form like Dormin was, a massive colossus of shadow.

So you see, the two games are completely connected. However, ICO takes place MANY generations after Shadow of the Colossus. This is to be assumed from how the queen seems to be relatively well-versed in how to reincarnate herself and how old she must have been by the time Ico shows up.

• 1 month later...
I think they are more connected in their world but not any story based connection. The worlds themselves seem very similar, but the characters and stories are their own.

I feel like this fits best with my take on the events. The plots are so minimalistic that you can literally imagine any kind of story to connect them (which is why I love the story so much). Once, I came upon some kind of glitch, or maybe a visual pop-in, in the PS2 SotC. I spent hours trying to figure out if that was supposed to happen, or if I just witness a game error. Eventually, the shadowy figure became part of my story, and I wondered if Wander thought of it on his travels. Stuff like that make the story personal to me and my playthrough ... and that's why I like tying the two games together my own way. =)

What is wrong with people? I saw some stupid things on this thread that I never imagined I'd see anyone say...Here's the facts:

***MAJOR SPOILER***

Shadow of the Colossus is a prequel to ICO.

In Shadow of the Colossus, you play as Wander of whom is progressively possessed by Dormin. By the end, you become a colossus of shadows, but are sealed back in with a spell from a sealer. Whatever spell that guy thought he used, the shadow creature you'd become was compressed into a smaller package, a baby with horns. The events leading to ICO aren't completely revealed, but I posted this info in another thread just minutes ago so here I go again.

After Wander was revived as a baby with horns, it's to be assumed that he grew older, had children and they had horns. Later own, theirs had horns and so on. Eventually, there were boys with horns all around.

A queen of some foreign land did not want to die, she wanted to live eternally and rule eternally, so looked for a way to keep herself young. She found some information about the events that occurred with Wander and managed to create a spell where she would lose her humanity all for the sake of living eternally. Her spell required these boys with horns of whom the shadows lived within as sacrifices. Which is why the shadows your encounter in ICO have horns, they were all boys with horns once.

She would create a younger shadow being, in the form of a young girl, to keep a youthful and female body, and would use those shadows as sacrifices to transfer her soul into Yorda's body and take over. The shadows are to be used in a condensed form like Dormin was, a massive colossus of shadow.

So you see, the two games are completely connected. However, ICO takes place MANY generations after Shadow of the Colossus. This is to be assumed from how the queen seems to be relatively well-versed in how to reincarnate herself and how old she must have been by the time Ico shows up.

While I don't exactly disagree with you here ... Ueda himself never explicitly laid out the fact that they are prequel/sequel. He simply refers to them as "spiritual successors." So you are free to interpret your own storyline between the two. I think you have struck upon the most accepted storyline ... but it is still open for interpretation. ^^

I think he did, also in SOTC if you ride to this area at the south west corner of the map, you'll see

[spoiler=123] the beach that Ico and Yorda wound up on, and IIRC, the castle they escape from

WHAAAA?! Seriously? That is so awesome, haha. I'll have to check that out. ^^ But ... forgive me if I'm just dumb ... what does IIRC stand for?

Bro you pretty much nailed the story as I've imagined it. Thanks for putting it into words.

• 3 weeks later...

The ending of Shadow of The Colossus is so painstakingly obvious it's a prequel to Ico, I can't believe so many people would interpret it otherwise. Well done to ToxicRequiem for laying it out. There is of course a lot to interpret though, especially with theories that Mono later becomes The Queen in Ico. One thing is for sure, Wander's revival as the horned infant is the start of the cursed lineage that Ico will eventually be a part of.

Of course people are going to see things differently and have unique opinions but come on! Please tell me you can see it?

Also, there are some interesting images on this blog that show compelling evidence of The Queen's castle from Ico in SoTC.

Returning to Shadow of the Colossus...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I Read Online Ages Ago That Shadow Of The Colossus Is Set Many, Many Years Before ICO, And...

[spoiler=123] The Baby With The Horns Found At The End Of SOTC Is The The Ancestor Of Ico.

Also, The Queen's Castle From ICO Is An Easter Egg In Shadow Of The Colossus. The Beach From The ICO Ending Can Also Be Found.

Edited by Fubzy