Graveyard and Sewers Pro Tips!

yuri03042

So, I was playing those parts over and over like most of any of us should until get it perfectly and I got two important tips about those two location:

Graveyard: Leave Yorda at the first or second step of the stairs, but at the very left side (if you saved at the bench, you are going to be at the right side when you load your game). After that, get the box in the bottom pressure plate and go to the upper one, position yourself to the left of the plate (making yorda step on it when she reaches you) and start spamming R1 to make she come. This way, you gonna make the shadows more retarded and they won't even touch Yorda before you get to the box. Proceed as you wish from that part on (you can save yorda and place the box or place the box and save Yorda > luckly for me, the shadows never reached Yorda since i got the box and held her hand before they came close, this is random but not rare, hopefully it will happen for you).

Sewers: Ah, I hate this part. Not because of the shadows, but because i'm too retarded to make right the jump after you climb the pipe.

Anyway, I'm horrible doing descriptions, but try to keep on: You open the stones and enter the sewer area, there will be a chain which you need to climb and the magical door. When you climb the chain, there will be a pathway/stone floor/whatever you want to call it, but i'm going to call it "Brigde". Leave Yorda right below the middle of the bridge, climb the chain, trigger the cutscene and... WTF :confused: the shadows don't go after Yorda, but after you instead :eek:

Run like hell, get inside the sewers, stand on the pressure plate to open the door (just enough to get out of it and still trigger it) run like hell outside, grab Yorda like I would grab cake and run inside again!

Two important notes:

1. Don't jump to get inside again. It's stupid, I know, because it's OBVIOUS she will let your hand go, but I jumped to get inside like 6 times... Just walk toward it and both will climb to (hopefully) safety. If a shadow manage to come inside (happen me twice in 33 tries) restart or just murder it with your Outstanding Wodden Baton lvl 99!
    1. DON'T CALL YORDA AT ANYTIME! She will screw up, get scared by spiders (what I totally understand since after being shinny and a ritual vessel, she is a still woman) and the bad guys will fly to her (if they unluckly didn't already) and grab her. If you need to attack anyone or you need to search for her, you won't have enough time to get inside with her.

That's all guys, please comment below if this helped anyone else, so I can PM the guide creators to add this to the guide and make a lot of other people's lives easier.

EDIT: Adding Pistol Jump pro tip and Waterwheel tip!

Piston Jump: really easy, just jump when the piston moves starts the animation going down. It's not how you should expect physics working, but this worked for me 20 out of 20 times. (after I realized this, I started doing the pump up for fun, lol. Got pumped up all the times)

Waterwheel: Well, not much to say, just don't climb and jump straighly, climb first, then look to where you need to jump (you probably will think you can't make it in time) and jump after (it seemed like I jumped in the air, not complaining, but worked twice doing this. This is the only tip that isn't pro, because it's not 100% sure working, but worth a try.

Edited by yuri03042

• 2 weeks later...

I used your sewer tip with good success. Most speedruns I saw recommend just standing at the gate and calling to Yorda, but we all know how good Yorda is at coming when called. Usually she would come halfway (leaving her hiding place), then stop and soon after get picked up by a shadow. I tried that method probably 15-20 times and got it to work only twice (but then screwed up somewhere else before the next save point).

So, you're right, it definitely worked much better for me to run out and grab her myself. If you do it right there should be ample time to get back in before the gate closes. In fact I found that the most frequent problem with this tactic is that you get through the gate with too much time to spare, so that a shadow manages to follow you in. Then, like you said, it's either solve the problem with violence, or restart.

For me it seemed to work better to leave Yorda under the ledge but right against the wall (not under the middle of the ledge). In the middle, she usually seemed to get spooked by the shadows and give away her location before I could get back around.

On the graveyard section, the main question seems to be where to leave Yorda, and whether to just call her and wait, or call her and run to fetch her. I just left her in the middle of the upper staircase which worked fine, and after placing the first box called her and ran to meet her halfway. Then leave her on the second switch like you say. If you can get through the doorway before the shadows get her (which I succeeded in doing probably 3 times out of 4), for some reason they don't usually seem to get to her until you get through the other room and up to the balcony with the box.

For me, the key to getting a good time in this section, though, was in placing the second box on the switch before worrying about Yorda. The shadows will capture her, but just let her go and get the box in place first. Then when you pull her out of the shadow hole, you can head straight for the open door. It's way too hard to try to deal with the second box while also trying to fight the shadows off.

I used your sewer tip with good success. Most speedruns I saw recommend just standing at the gate and calling to Yorda, but we all know how good Yorda is at coming when called. Usually she would come halfway (leaving her hiding place), then stop and soon after get picked up by a shadow.

Oh god, I still have nightmares about this...

I tried that method probably 15-20 times and got it to work only twice (but then screwed up somewhere else before the next save point).

I did screwed up too doing that method, you have to climb a pipe and i missed that jump like 4 times in a row, lol.

So, you're right, it definitely worked much better for me to run out and grab her myself. If you do it right there should be ample time to get back in before the gate closes. In fact I found that the most frequent problem with this tactic is that you get through the gate with too much time to spare, so that a shadow manages to follow you in. Then, like you said, it's either solve the problem with violence, or restart.

That happen a lot when I tried to call her inside, but never happened when I did this method, was I lucky?

BTW, the spiders came inside through the ceiling hole like 3/4 times, making Yorda scare herself like my mom does when she meets a cockroach. :D

For me it seemed to work better to leave Yorda under the ledge but right against the wall (not under the middle of the ledge). In the middle, she usually seemed to get spooked by the shadows and give away her location before I could get back around.

Oh, I also did that, made she hug the wall, didn't I added that? My bad! I meant the middle in width not in area. :(

On the graveyard section, the main question seems to be where to leave Yorda, and whether to just call her and wait, or call her and run to fetch her. I just left her in the middle of the upper staircase which worked fine, and after placing the first box called her and ran to meet her halfway. Then leave her on the second switch like you say. If you can get through the doorway before the shadows get her (which I succeeded in doing probably 3 times out of 4), for some reason they don't usually seem to get to her until you get through the other room and up to the balcony with the box.

Oh, I don't believe I have explained this right. :(

I left her at the second step from top to bottom to the leftmost part of the staircase (imagine that if she moved more to the left, she would fall to the left of the staircase). About calling her, I made her come to me, spamming R1 (the camera messes up so bad doing this) until she gets inside the same camera range with Ico, then you just hold until she gets close and hold your hand. This is the time to slap that hand and leave the princess to go inside the castle alone!

Edit: If you get her in the middle of her course and try to leave her on the button, she climbs out 9/10 times because the button goes down while she is still on the move.

Somehow, if she goes downstairs at the leftmost section of the staircase, she doesn't attract too much attention from the shadows and you are able to get inside and retrieve the box without her getting caught. I was lucky at this part, but I was able to push the box very closely to the hole and she got hugged, I attacked the shadow and she fell, grabbed her hand, finished the box (I just needed to push it right once, since I had pushed up enough) and got inside the castle with the princess!

For me, the key to getting a good time in this section, though, was in placing the second box on the switch before worrying about Yorda. The shadows will capture her, but just let her go and get the box in place first. Then when you pull her out of the shadow hole, you can head straight for the open door. It's way too hard to try to deal with the second box while also trying to fight the shadows off.

This pretty much sums up what I didn't explained in the OP, thanks!

Edited by yuri03042

• 2 months later...
If you get her in the middle of her course and try to leave her on the button, she climbs out 9/10 times because the button goes down while she is still on the move.

Ah, I see. I didn't have a lot of problems getting her to stay on the button. The trick, if I recall correctly, is to realize that you need to let go of her hand right at the instant, or even slightly before, she steps on the switch. When you let go of her hand she does not stop instantly, her momentum keeps her moving forward a bit. So you need to allow for this when you are timing when to let go of her hand.

• 4 months later...

Wow. I was having tons of issues with the graveyard following what I saw in videos. But no matter what, she would get taken away almost as soon as I entered the building. With this method, it took her much longer to get carried off each time. I managed to mess up the first time I tried, but it worked even better the second time I tried and I made it to the next save in a good enough amount of time. Awesome.

• 2 months later...