Little speedrun tip for the sewer

MrTroll

In the speedrun videos that I've watched, the player usually attempts to leave Yorda right in front of the gate or tucked off to the side in the shadows and then quickly tries to hit the switch and hurry her in, which is a pain in the ass to pull off correctly.

I stumbled on a method that is much more consistent and about as quick. After you enter the area, leave Yorda right at the entrance, then climb up the chain to spawn the enemies. Quickly jump or drop back down and immediately exit the area back the way you came and re-enter. After doing that, there should be only two of the weaker demons left behind that can be easily killed and the black hole will close up so no more can spawn. I was able to reproduce this outcome successfully multiple times after reloading my save, so it wasn't just a one-off thing where I got lucky. Hope it helps anyone struggling with this part.

• 1 month later...
In the speedrun videos that I've watched, the player usually attempts to leave Yorda right in front of the gate or tucked off to the side in the shadows and then quickly tries to hit the switch and hurry her in, which is a pain in the ass to pull off correctly.

I stumbled on a method that is much more consistent and about as quick. After you enter the area, leave Yorda right at the entrance, then climb up the chain to spawn the enemies. Quickly jump or drop back down and immediately exit the area back the way you came and re-enter. After doing that, there should be only two of the weaker demons left behind that can be easily killed and the black hole will close up so no more can spawn. I was able to reproduce this outcome successfully multiple times after reloading my save, so it wasn't just a one-off thing where I got lucky. Hope it helps anyone struggling with this part.

Do u bring yorda back thru the door or leave her in the same spot?

• 8 months later...

I just tested this and it doesn't seem to work (anymore). Whenever I re-enter the sewers area all the small shadows are gone, but the two taller ones are still there and kicking. So either I misunderstand the post or this "trick" is rather useless as you can/have to kill the tall shadows either way and the small ones don't do anything (harmful) to begin with...

I just tested this and it doesn't seem to work (anymore). Whenever I re-enter the sewers area all the small shadows are gone, but the two taller ones are still there and kicking. So either I misunderstand the post or this "trick" is rather useless as you can/have to kill the tall shadows either way and the small ones don't do anything (harmful) to begin with...

I can't remember if I had both "tough" shadows, or just one and the other was a weak shadow, but I only had two remaining when I used this trick and they only took a little over a minute to dispose of. I'd say it's still far from useless, as the smaller shadows are a nuisance when you're trying to take down a bigger one. With only two, you can put one on its ass and focus on the other. It's not perfect, but it's more ideal than fighting off all of them. Of course, alternatively, you could try the "rush and bypass" method there for an hour or so until you get it right...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...