What is the correct pronunciation of ICO?

This has raged on for a while now and I, for one, would like to find out exactly what the correct pronunciation actually is.

The contenders for me are (EE-co), (EYE-co) and (ICK-o) I can't think there'd be any more. I've always favoured (EE-co) myself and as far as I'm aware doesn't Yorda actually voice it this way in-game? (If my ears and memory serve me correctly).

I had a semi-heated 30 minute conversation, recently, in a GAME shop pretty close to where I live, where the manager was 100% over-the-top enthusiastic/certain that is was (EYE-co) and that his opinion was correct and final.

It'd be excellent to figure out what it truly is. Obviously there will be people who pronounce it how they want to pronounce it and that is that, there will be people who couldn't care less, and then there will be people like me who want to find out what is correct, and if there even is a correct way. Any referencing or sourcing from websites or videos etc. etc. would be greatly received as would anybodies own personal opinion on this.

Thanks in advance...

I've only ever heard people pronounce it (EYE-co), but looking at the pronunciation on Wikipedia, the proper way to say ICO is イコ (/ˈiːkoʊ/). Here, イ (I) sounds like 'EE' like in bee and コ (koʊ) sounds like 'co' in the word code. So the writing for ICO is to match the Japanese word.

It's pronounced (EE-co).

I'll still probably call it (EYE-co) >.>

I really should've checked the disc/watched the videos :whistle: thanks for the replies. (EE-co) it is then. I guess I get to go back to the GAME shop a settle this little altercation I've been having:applause: sahweet!

I suppose people can call the little guy what they want, but its always interesting to find out which one's right. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

The first time I ever heard about ICO at all was reading an old EGM back in the day talking about Jak and Daxter before it was released. They said, "Daxter fell into a vat of eco, not be confused with the game ICO which is pronounced the same."

That stuck in my head ever since. I'm glad to see EGM's one sentence had not wronged me all these years, as by now I've gotten very attached to the name EE-co.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When I went to go buy the collection, I asked the guy at the store for the Shadow of the Colossus collection instead of the ICO collection because I realized I had no clue how to say it, even though I played it on PS2 back in the day.

...at least I'm not alone in my confusion. :hug: And now I can shop for ICO related things without fear of being mocked!

• 1 month later...

Good thing about japanese is all of the alphabet always sound the exact same in any word unlike english. It's like 'E-koh' but very important that the individual syllables end abruptly, ie: in english when you make an 'oh' sound you sort of pucker your lips slightly, in japanese you just stop the sound almost midway without puckering. Likewise with the 'E' sound it is very important not to extend the sound. As Alex Fly said, イ is like the 'i' sound in ship.

Edited by Light-and-magic

Assuming it's based on the Japanese pronunciation, which would make sense, you would be correct in saying EE-co.

I know his, and yet I personally always say EYE-co.

Could be my lazy Australian pronunciation, like I say KA-RA-TI, even though I know it's technically incorrect to it's original pronunciation, but hey, to each there own.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...