My Speed Run Video Guide

gcrock

Hi everyone,

Now I know that we have a World Record video to follow but I wanted to create my own for my guide I do elsewhere. I used this world record video myself and there are a few flaws. The first one is that is standard definition and it was hard to see at some points, the second is that he uses no save points and you could be unsure on where to save, the third is that some things will happen in your game where he could just run through (the graveyard being the toughest).

Also, I believed it would be easy enough to get the shining sword and watermelon trophy on the same run. And i did.

I have read that it must be a perfect run and that there is little room for error. I make a lot of errors as you will see in the video. I did it in 1 hour and 57 minutes and 5 seconds.

It may of been a little too close for comfort but i did it with the watermelon ending and the shining sword. I probably saved more than i should of too. My best sections are up to the windmill and after the Main gate (as you finish off the game) In between there is a lot of time to make up.

I think this video will help people that are struggling. Instead of having a video where you are always behind and not sure if your doing good or not, You have a video where you can aim to match or better save points, and you can knock off two other trophies so you dont have to do another run.

Before watching: Just do as I do in terms of the route. Try to better my save point times. My windmill save is good so just try to be as close as you can but you need to be there at 25 minutes at latest if you want room for error later.

When you reach the Waterfall save, if you are beating my time then go for the shining sword. If you are level with me then still go for it. If you are more than a minute behind me then leave it and try to get piston jump and waterwheel perfect or within 3 attempts.

At the Main Gate save you want to be level with me or beating me. Then you can go for the watermelon ending. If you are a minute behind then do not go for it. Finish the game to get Castle Guide and then reload the main gate save to finish it with a watermelon ending.

One last thing to mention is my PVR Errors. I have never used it in the way where I would be pausing alot. I edited out the pauses but sometimes the PVR then messed up for a second or two meaning that you will see it skip in the video. It is literally a second or two. There is one where it could be 3 but it is always when i am on Route. You can easily tell where I have ran too in that 2 seconds and you just need to run/climb there. Lucky enough, it did not happen during anything important as I wasnt pausing.

So here is the video. I hope it helps others, it is one you can aim to beat and you will know where you are at all times. Always save on a different slot if you are unsure if you have done well. You can reload a save as often as you like to try and better your time.

Save Points:

Graveyard - 00:15:45

Windmill - 00:21:53

East Arena (When you first enter) - 00:35:40

East Arena (As you exit) - 00:43:05

Waterfall (Came off route to save) - 00:50:32

Water Tower - 01:04:53

Wets Idol Stairs - 01:13:03

Main Gate - 01:22:52

Final Time - 01:57.05

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDsctdiMIQo&feature=player_embedded]ICO - Castle Guide Trophy - YouTube[/ame]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see it in one video, rather than 10 seperate ones. It also gives a much more realistic timeline to follow. I would have much rather used this instead of the 1:32 video when I went for the trophy. Should help people a lot. Good job.:thumbsup:

Thanks mate, thats exactly what I thought :)

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, this may be super stupid, but I am going for Castle Guide on my first playthrough, using your video.

Basically, I am slightly behind, and I am wondering how much time the "watermelon" ending actually adds? For instance, if I am 3-4 minutes over your time, it shouldn't be a big issue, correct? I DO plan on getting the spiked club as well.

Alright, this may be super stupid, but I am going for Castle Guide on my first playthrough, using your video.

Basically, I am slightly behind, and I am wondering how much time the "watermelon" ending actually adds? For instance, if I am 3-4 minutes over your time, it shouldn't be a big issue, correct? I DO plan on getting the spiked club as well.

You can't get the "watermelon" ending until you complete a second playthrough through New Game +.

Got the platinum thanks to your awesome video guide! Definitely the best one to follow. I was a little worried before starting my "Castle Guide" playthrough but soon I realized it was not that hard. My time was 1:50:12. I skipped the lightning sword and the "watermelon ending".

Thanks mate

Edited by Satyr

Yeah I know, I'm saying that since I definitely wont get it, but this guy DID get it, how much time can I expect to immediately shave off of his playthrough, simply because I don't have to watch that ending?

The watermelon doesn't add much time, 1 minute, probably much less.

If you are 3~4 minutes behind, as you say, I don't think you can shave it off just skiping the Spiked Club and Watermelon ending.

Thanks for this, it was very useful. Had to play through some sections a few times because the shadows got Yorda too much or she didn't climb a ladder properly, stupid Yorda. Game would take about an hour if Yorda wasn't involved and you had queen's sword from the start to open the doors.

When you reach the Waterfall save, if you are beating my time then go for the shining sword. If you are level with me then still go for it. If you are more than a minute behind me then leave it and try to get piston jump and waterwheel perfect or within 3 attempts.

You can still easily get the Shining Sword Trophy if you're behind on time, although you won't have the sword itself for the rest of the playthrough.

Skip it at first, then save after the waterwheel, when you've gone back into the waterfall room and over the bridge. Saving the game is important! Now go back up to the waterwheel the way you just came, get the Shining Sword and return to the waterfall to trigger the Trophy.

Quit and reload the save, and carry on with the speed run. You won't have the sword to play with, but from this point on there's very little combat: mostly you can run past the shadows, or just knock them back once to keep running. Very occasionally (such as in the West Arena and on the lift up to the Water Tower) you'll be forced to defeat one or two shadows, but your sword is good enough. After the Main Gate you lose your weapon anyway.

That's a good video, but I think you should show what was the fastest way to do some areas (or at least add a note) instead of showing you fail. For example, the area with the sewer, you lost a lot of time because you left Yorda at the wrong place (not below the platform) and had to fight the shadow creatures.

It's all good to show that you don't have to be perfect, but to those who don't know the "proper" way, they are stuck with your time frame because they just don't know better.

It's a great video with excelent quality, though.

Thanks a lot Gcrock! I just got my platinum last night. I did it on my 3rd playthroguh so I didn't need the shining sword or watermelon. I used the extra time to save a lot more often. That definitely helped keep the frustration down. The most annoying part was trying to get Yorda to climb the ladder and keep from getting snatched in the West arena area where you both stand on the round area to raise the stairs.

Saved at last main gate at 1:21:30 and finished with 1:54:30.

Cheers for this video mate it helped a lot, I was about 3 mins ahead of your time at the last save point so I knew I was pretty much on for the this platinum.

However I am not going to do any games with speed trophies anytime soon, my last platinum was rayman :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my 2nd playthrough with Split the Watermelon, Express Journey, Castle Guide and the plat all popping at the end, and I couldn't have done it without the help I got from your video, and the timestamps you posted. I had to reuse save slots, so I can't post my own timestamps, but while I did some sections better than you, and others worse, I actually ended up with a final castle gate save time just 8 seconds worse than you, after picking up the shining sword on the way. :)

So thank you so much again, your work is really appreciated!

I found this post in another thread in the forum, and it was definitely helpful. I ended up getting to the Windmill at 24:12, so I may not be a world champion, but I should make the two hour limit. =)

I'm sure it was just a glitch... I'm not aware of any way to make them not appear on either the PS2 or PS3 version. I'm sure that the 1:32 video (which is the world record for the ICO speed run) would have used it if it wasn't too long to do so.

The way I handled the shadows...

Leave Yorda on the steps next to the save point (close to the left-hand side of the screen, but DON'T let her touch the ground below the steps or you'll trigger the shadows). Go down and move the block onto the left-most button (when facing the door). Then go to the bottom of the second set of steps, and call Yorda. Keep calling her and let her come (for some reason I've found that going to get her seems to make the shadows chase her more quickly). Hold R1 so you grab her hand the second she gets close, then sprint to the button, leave her on it... and JUMP to the door. You need to get in the door ASAP, if you can jump and be next to the door BEFORE it opens, and get inside within a second or so of it opening, then the shadows WON'T grab her while you're inside the room.

Then go up as usual, and as soon as you get outside quickly push the block off and move it into position (if you're quick enough, you can get the block on the button at the same time they grab her). Move quickly to her, and if you're lucky then you can smack the shadow that grabbed her BEFORE it flies away, then grab her hand and sprint in the door before anyone else grabs her. I pulled this off about once in every 4-5 tries, and if you get lucky enough to pull it off you'll do the graveyard even quicker than the 1:32.xx world record did it.

But if they end up getting away with her, run fast and try to get to the hole at the top by the save bench BEFORE she gets carried there. If you wait too long, the hole will be surrounded by 4-5 shadows and you'll need a LOT of luck to get her out without getting hit. Immediately grab her and pull her out. If you get hit, don't stress she'll still be out when you get up. If you DON'T get hit, then swing your stick a couple times to clear out the enemies, then grab her hand and sprint for the end. Once you grab her hand, you can definitely make it to the end without her getting grabbed as long as you don't stop running and don't run into any walls. If anyone grabs her by the door, just smack them and grab her and run in.

This is easier said than done, as I spent over an hour playing the Graveyard over and over until I successfully made it through (though I did make it through the Graveyard twice before that and lost her to the shadows once we got inside the building). But read the above, keep trying it and you'll eventually get it. Then, once you get through the inside part as well... for the love of GOD save your game ASAP, as you'll never want to look at the Graveyard during a speed run ever again.

Your goal is to get to the Windmill save point by 00:25:00 or less. If you pull that off, then make sure to make your next save (usually at East Arena) in a DIFFERENT save slot so you don't have to restart before the Graveyard if you end up needing to redo a part to cut down on time.