Water wheel jump

shmalus

this is the only part of the game that i had to get help for. i spent a long time trying to jump on that piston and had no luck. after watching a youtube video i could see that you want ico to jump at the instant the piston moves upward. what took me a while to figure out also is that you cannot push the jump button when the piston is ready to fire up but rather push jump ahead of time so that ico can first crouch down before he makes his jump to be in sync with the piston. so just watch ico and see how long it takes him to crouch before jumping and try and time the upward motion of both ico and the piston to be in sync.

Anyone have any suggestions? It's the section before you acquire the mace/shining sword, and it's driving me up the frickin' wall.

**Self moderated, A) there's another thread, B) made it...

for the metal water wheel, I found the key is just to wait half a second after Ico get on top of the rotating wheel. If you just mash direction button + jump as soon as Ico get on top, the direction input happens before the jump input and Ico just drops down. So wait a split second for climbing animation to finish, then hit direction + jump simultaneously.

for the metal water wheel, I found the key is just to wait half a second after Ico get on top of the rotating wheel. If you just mash direction button + jump as soon as Ico get on top, the direction input happens before the jump input and Ico just drops down. So wait a split second for climbing animation to finish, then hit direction + jump simultaneously.

Good advice that I followed on my speed run. Made it on the first attempt. :dance:

I absolutely hate the waterwheel part. The piston-jump isn't too bad, I usually make it on the 1st or 2nd try, but the waterwheel was the biggest obstacle in the game for me.

First playthrough: # of retries - I lost count!

Second playthrough (speedrun): About 10 retries

Third playthrough (New Game+): Made it on the 1st try (wtf!? would have been better on my speedrun!)

I think Loire's advice about waiting half a second seems to be what made the difference. I have to say, this is also the only part in the whole game where I use :up: instead of the analog stick 'cause that seems to work better for the waterwheel part. At least for me.

i fuckin love u people, i was about to break the disc, i was thinking the 2 hr speedrun prob wont be that bad until this point, must have spent an hr trying to do this before i looked on here.

all i can say is thankyou guys:applause:

the answer is just waitig till the animation of ico pulling himself up finishes, then jumping

also does anyone know why the waterwheel was cut from the US version of the game, i could say why i think it was cut but i dont wanna offend anyone!!!!

Edited by BaSHee26

• 2 weeks later...

I signed up just to reply here. Holy crap. I so wish this thread had been here a month ago when I still had the game. I got so pissed I returned it, and I have never done that before. I was so heartbroken I didn't even try Shadow of the Colossus, fearing they'd ruined that as well. The very first negative review posted on Amazon? Yeah that was me.

Thanks for posting how to do it, I was convinced it was completely impossible. You guys rule. It is such an indescribable relief to know I'm not the only one who had a horrible time with it. Hmm, now I need to borrow a copy and try it again. I'm not rebuying the game until I know I can do that part. Maybe I'll do a free GameFly trial.

BaSHee26, if I had to guess, I'd say the reason they left the water wheel out of the original North American PS2 release is because it's fucking infuriating. The developers were afraid of all the angry Americans with guns tracking them down and blowing their heads apart. That's based on what I wanted to do to them after over an hour trying and failing to climb the damn thing.

I still say it was a miserable decision on their part to not include both versions of the game and let players choose which one they want to experience. Finding this awful change from the game I loved a decade ago made me believe George Lucas was working on Team Ico now.

• 2 weeks later...

OH MY GOD. THANK YOU!!!! I registered on this site just to tell you THANK YOU because nobody else anywhere could explain that part properly.

It's funny because it turns out that I had no problems with the wooden jump before the water wheel and apparently people have a harder time with that than the water wheel jump right after it. Wow.... that's insane!

Anyways - again.... thank you. thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazing advice, worked right away once I tried this. Spent like 40 minutes trying this over and over again, read this and passed this part on my first try. Too bad I didn't read this earlier :p

• 1 month later...

For the piston jump, stand on the wooden platform and press jump as soon as you see it go down.

For the waterwheel, as soon as you pull yourself up on the waterwheel, tap your analog stick forward so that ICO is facing the right way then jump forward to grab ledge.

Hope this helps!!!

Thank you Loire, sound advice, I was jumping around like a loony for 15 minutes before I found this nugget of information.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Thanks, very useful

• 3 months later...

Moving forward makes you fall off but you need to turn to get the jump right. Just nudge in the direction you want to go after climbing up then direction + jump.

The thing is in this game you can't change directions and jump at the same time, so you need to change directions first, if you jump constantly on flat land you'll see what I mean you can't turn unless you stop.