XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > > > >

Old 10-01-2011, 03:37 AM   #1
Angelwork

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   SOTM Winner   Community Gaming Event Bronze   Helping Hand
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Default ICO HD ~ Trophy Guide & Road Map

Roadmap

Overview:
  • Estimated trophy difficulty: 6/10 (http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/tea...ty-rating.html)
  • Offline trophies: 16 (2, 4, 9, 1)
  • Online trophies: 0
  • Approximate amount of time to : 10-12 hours
  • Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 2 (3 is recommended)
  • Number of missable trophies: 7 - Split the Watermelon, Spiked Club, Shining Sword, Bench Warmer, Express Journey, Castle Guide and Unscathed Escape
  • Glitched trophies: None
  • Does difficulty affect trophies? No difficulty related trophies
  • Do cheat codes disable trophies: N/A

Introduction:

Enter a world of enchantment and wonder, where once was, is nevermore. Ico, a mysterious boy, has been expelled from his village to an isolated castle. Within his confines, he begins to have eerie dreams of rescuing a young princess from the evil spirits that dwell within the fortress. Blurring the lines between fantasy and reality, Ico embarks on a quest to save the princess and along the way, discovers his own cryptic fate.

Step 1 (New Game):

Play through the story. Enjoy the atmosphere. Ico is a game like no other. In this playthrough you will unlock all the story related trophies, and missable trophies Spiked Club and Benchwarmer. There are no collectibles to worry about in this game. You can choose to go for Unscathed Escape in this playthrough also. If you do, whenever you die (or get a "game over" screen), do not press YES when asked to Continue. Press NO and load up your last save from the Main Menu, ensuring that you never die during this playthrough. Save when asked to after game completion.

You will have earned the following trophies after this step:
Rescue
Failure
Armed and Ready
East Gate
West Gate
Farewell
Royal Arms
Emancipation
Spiked Club
Bench Warmer
Unscathed Escape (if you made it through without dying)
Step 2 (New Game+):

Load up your previous save to start a New Game+ and play through the game again. This is necessary to unlock Split the Watermelon and Shining Sword, which only becomes available if you finished the game at least once. If you didn’t go for Unscathed Escape in your first playthrough, now is the time to do it.

Split the Watermelon
Shining Sword
Step 3 (Speed Run):

This is your speedrun. Your goal here is to beat the game in under 2 hours. By doing this, you will unlock the last 2 missable trophies Express Journey and Castle Guide. By now you should be familiar enough with the game's puzzles to breeze through easily. Avoid all unnecessary battles and skip all cutscenes. This step can be also be combined with step 2 above if you don't want to play through the game a third time.

Express Journey
Castle Guide

Last edited by Angelwork; 06-27-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Angelwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:38 AM   #2
Angelwork

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   SOTM Winner   Community Gaming Event Bronze   Helping Hand

Trophy Guide

Enlightenment
Acquire all trophies

Obtain all other trophies to unlock this one.

Rescue
Rescue Yorda

This trophy is story related and cannot be missed.
Spoiler! (click here to reveal)

Failure
Finish watching the demo scene confronting the Queen at the front gate stage

Armed and Ready
Acquire Sword

East Gate
Open East Gate

West Gate
Open West Gate

Farewell
Finish watching farewell demo with Yorda at the front gate stage

Royal Arms
Acquire Queen's Sword

Emancipation
Clear the game

Split the Watermelon
Bring the watermelon to Yorda upon completing 2nd time through

In order to unlock this trophy you have to play through the entire game again on a cleared game save file. Meaning, once you have beaten the game once and saved upon completion, load that save file and you will start a new game+.

After the final cutscene and credits you will find yourself awakening on a beach. Run towards the big rock near the cliffside. Behind the rock there will be several watermelons lying on the ground. Pick one up and make your way across the beach until you see Yorda. Approach her and you will get the watermelon ending. After the screen says "end" the trophy will unlock.

Video by: str00py

Spiked Club
Acquire spiked club

This has to be done in your first playthrough or a "New Game" (from the Main Menu). It cannot be obtained on a cleared game save file (New Game+).

See Shining Sword for further info.

Shining Sword
Acquire shining sword

In order to obtain the shining sword aka the lightsaber you have to do it on a cleared game save file (New Game+).

In the same section as the piston jump and the waterwheel there is a hidden room. After making the piston jump, climb down the ladder and pull the switch to the left of the stairs to open the doors. Also to the left of the stairs, there is a tree. Swing your sword at the tree and a ball will drop down. Pick up the ball and go inside. Once inside make your way to the wall between the 2 set of stairs. Push () the middle wall section to open a secret passage. Head inside with Yorda and make your way down the stairs, go around the turquoise circular platform in the middle of the floor, up the small set of stairs and place the ball inside the square on the floor. Go stand on the circular platform with Yorda and a basket should pop up where you placed the ball. The ball will automatically land inside it and the shining sword/spiked club will come flying from the window and land behind you. Pick it up and continue as you were, once you reach the next section (waterfall) the trophy will unlock.

Video by: MooTheTubey
NOTE: Using the simple method explained above and shown in the video can make the ball disappear, meaning you won't be able to get the mace/sword unless you reload a previous save. Normally you throw the ball into the basket after activating it. Do this instead if you're worried it might glitch on you.

Last edited by Angelwork; 11-25-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Mentioned glitch for Spiked Club/Shining Sword trophy
Old 10-01-2011, 03:39 AM   #3
Angelwork

Bench Warmer
Save at all save points

There are a total of 14 stone couches (save points) scattered around the castle. Ico and Yorda must sit together on a stone couch in order for the game to be saved. This game is very linear and the stone couches are easily visible. I found all of them without using any guide. This trophy will unlock once you save at the last stone couch.

NOTE: You must save at all locations in one playthrough. If you miss a couch on your first playthrough you will not unlock the trophy if you save there on your second playthrough. They all have to be done on the same playthrough.

Below is a list of locations for all stone couches that can be found throughout the game.

Express Journey
Beat the game within 4 hours

See Castle Guide.

Castle Guide
Beat the game within 2 hours

This is the hardest trophy in the game and it will truly put your skills to the test. You need to have all puzzles and layouts memorized like the back of your hand. There is barely any room for mistakes here. Do not engage in any unnecessary combat with the shadows, most of them are skippable. If there are shadows present when Yorda opens an idol door, she will kill off all shadows. Utilize this as much as you can. Most other fights you can simply run past into the next room. Skip ALL cutscenes that are not mandatory to watch, even the tiniest ones such as opening a door, lowering a bridge etc. This will save you time. The only cutscenes you have to sit through are the one at the bridge after opening the main gate, the last cutscene and the credits. The last cutscene and the credits combined takes approximately 10 minutes, this will add to your total time. Make sure to have at least 13-15 minutes to spare after the last boss. As for saving, do not bother going to a savepoint if you have to go out of your way to get to it. It is recommended to do your speed run on a "New Game" (from the Main Menu) instead of loading a cleared game save file (New Game+). Once you complete the game on New Game+ you won't be given the option to save, thus not knowing what time you got. And yes, pausing the game will stop the timer.

Listed below are the save locations and timestamps I made on my successful speed run, completing the game with a time of 01:46:xx. These may help you, knowing approximately what time to aim for on these save locations. Take note that my run was almost flawless, thus having 14 minutes to spare.

After the screen says "end" this trophy will unlock.

Videos posted below are recorded by the current world record keeper, completing ICO with a time of 1:32:54. I highly recommend watching this rather than doing it completely by yourself. This is the best way to do it by far. You will learn many great shortcuts, which fights are skippable, where to leave Yorda behind and continue on your own etc.
Credits to: muguet0501

Unscathed Escape
Clear the game without viewing a game over screen

This trophy is actually rather simple. A game over screen appears if Ico falls from a great height and dies, or Yorda gets sucked into a black hole before Ico can rescue her. If you happen to die, DO NOT continue. This will lock the trophy. Simply reload your previous save from the Main Menu and keep going from there.

Last edited by Angelwork; 07-02-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Image update
Old 10-01-2011, 04:21 AM   #4
Angelwork

Guide is completed. Feel free to post.

きゅうり味のビールを飲めばいいよ!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
DrakeHellsing

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)

I've never played the game before, so this is my first time of course. Anyway, from what you're saying about the mace, do you have to grab it on the first playthrough? Or the second playthrough? As it's stated in your guide that the mace and lightsaber go hand in hand.

"Emmet, you didn't let me finish... because I died"
- Ghost Vitruvius, The Lego Movie
DrakeHellsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
DCGMoo

If I recall (still in my first playthrough at the moment)... they're in the same location. In your first game (New Game), it's the spiked club found in the hidden room. In your second game (New Game+), it's the shining sword found in the hidden room. So you can only get the spiked club during a brand new game, and you can only get the shining sword during a New Game+.
: Batman: AA, Bioshock, Brutal Legend, Burnout Paradise, Dead Nation, Duke Nukem Forever, God of War, God of War II, God of War III, God of War: CoO, God of War: GoS, ICO, Infamous, Katamari Forever, Little Big Planet, Red Dead Redemption, Sly 1, Sly 2, Sly 3

: Joe Danger, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, Stacking, Super Stardust HD
DCGMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
The Sunni
Banned

good guide thank you
The Sunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
DrakeHellsing

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCGMoo View Post
If I recall (still in my first playthrough at the moment)... they're in the same location. In your first game (New Game), it's the spiked club found in the hidden room. In your second game (New Game+), it's the shining sword found in the hidden room. So you can only get the spiked club during a brand new game, and you can only get the shining sword during a New Game+.
Ah, I see, thanks for that. Was just a bit confused on what it meant by in the guide, but now I see what it now means with you clearing it up for me. Hopefully I remember to grab the mace in my first playthrough and not go right past it XD

"Emmet, you didn't let me finish... because I died"
- Ghost Vitruvius, The Lego Movie
DrakeHellsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
BreadSkin
Super Moderator

Awards Showcase Bread's ''Y U No Play These Gamez?!''   Lab's ''Did Someone Say Chimichanga?'' List   THL Season 6 - Olsen's Secret List   First PS4 Game Nights   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   Word of Mouth - Platinum   THL Season 4 - Big Ol' Pile of Platinums   Almost Golden   Staff - Super Moderator   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Guide Supplement Bronze
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)

You guys' first guide? Good luck nonetheless!

For someone so active in UGC, I'm kinda surprised you don't have a guide banner up already .
BreadSkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
deathspi

Thank you, was hoping a guide would be up last night, and now I wake up and it's magically appeared!
deathspi is offline   Reply With Quote