Speed Run Time/Savepoint Marks

Das_Kollaps

For those of you who are trying to beat the 2-Hour speed run, here's my record that I think can serve you as a frame of reference. It is by no means the fastest time possible, as many others have gotten far better records than mine. But it's fast enough to earn you a (G). I round the seconds to the closest 15. Hope you'll find this useful:

SAVE 1 - Graveyard (0:16:00)

Skipped the Old Bridge and Crane save points and was unable to save at Trolley 2.

SAVE 2 - Windmill (0:23:00)

This save point is out of the way, but I would recommend it if you are unconfident about the sewer part like I was.

SAVE 3 - Stone Pillar (0:29:00)

Upon arrival

SAVE 4 - East Arena (0:34:45)

Upon arrival

SAVE 5 - East Arena (0:42:45)

Upon departure

SAVE 6 - Waterfall (0:56:45)

I made this save after having gone through the dreadful piston jump and waterwheel. You can easily beat this time if you are good at the jumps. It took me 12 tries for the piston and 2 for the waterwheel.

SAVE 7 - Water Tower (1:02:00)

Skipped the Gondola savepoint.

SAVE 8 - West Idol Stairs (1:10:45)

Upon arrival

SAVE 9 - Main Gate (1:21:00)

Final save point

Final time - 1:52:55

Good luck! :applause:

Edited by Das_Kollaps
  • Like 1

Thanks for this! Tried my first 2 hour playthrough today and knew I was gonna take too long so I'm starting over again. It's good to know that in the first part you can leave Yorda once you get to a certain room, go and get the trolley, move the crane, drop the bridge and go back to pick her up.

Yes it does.

I will update my post shortly with additional timestamps (my save locations and time).

AWESOME! I was planning on using the youtube speed run that was done in 52 minutes to emulate (provided there aren't any fundamental changes since it's from the PS2 version)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORM-yA_K2gI&feature=related]Ico Speedrun 00:52:xx Part 3 [2/2] - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for the quick reply, btw! :D

AWESOME! I was planning on using the youtube speed run that was done in 52 minutes to emulate (provided there aren't any fundamental changes since it's from the PS2 version)

Thanks for the quick reply, btw! :D

I do not recommend following that video, since he's using the power jump (whatever it's called) glitch. You can not use it in the HD remake (as far as I know).

I recommend following this speed run:

I pretty much did everything he did and I got it on my first attempt. I was using another video before and this one was much better.

Like I said, here's my save locations and times:

SAVE 1 - Graveyard (00:15:23)

SAVE 2 - East Arena (00:33:23)

Upon arrival.

SAVE 3 - East Arena (00:40:51)

Upon departure.

SAVE 4 - Waterfall (00:47:45)

I made this save upon arrival of the Waterfall, BEFORE the piston jump and the waterwheel. It's a small detour yes, but it's worth it if you want to get that piston jump and waterwheel perfect. I figured out that it's better to take this small detour to save and then just keep retrying until you pass the piston jump and waterwheel flawlessly, rather than lose time on them.

SAVE 5 - Water Tower (00:59:35)

SAVE 6 - West Idol Stairs (01:06:30)

Upon arrival.

SAVE 7 - Main Gate (01:16:41)

Last save.

Final Time = 01:46:xx

Can't tell you the seconds since it never asked me to save when I was done, but I did clock the ending (starting from last save, Main Gate) using my mobile phone and upon completion the timer was at 00:33:xx.

Edited by Angelwork

Well. I found, that although you are required to take long path trough trolley, you could leave Yorda benind in romm with chain, switch and box (where big fight should take place after you push switch -- I run around without her and no fights. Also you don't need to use move crane. Open bridge and backtrace to Yorda.

Well. I found, that although you are required to take long path trough trolley, you could leave Yorda benind in romm with chain, switch and box (where big fight should take place after you push switch -- I run around without her and no fights. Also you don't need to use move crane. Open bridge and backtrace to Yorda.

Yes, this route and method is highly recommended. It saved me almost 5 minutes doing this, since you don't have to fight in the room, above the trolley, and also move the crane.

ok I'm at the last save with a time of 1:28:20, I'm cutting it close XD probably wasn't a good idea to get the lightsaber.......

Probably not, but I think it's doable! You'll have to be really quick in the last section though and make it through flawlessly. No room for mistakes at all! Remember the last cutscene + credits are approx. 10 minutes.

Currently saved at the windmill with a total time of 22:32. I had to go for it since the next section would have made me start all the way back at the graveyard more than a handful of times.

So far it seems doable, but there are definitely moments of frustration due to the controls and camera screwing you over a little.

Probably not, but I think it's doable! You'll have to be really quick in the last section though and make it through flawlessly. No room for mistakes at all! Remember the last cutscene + credits are approx. 10 minutes.

probably would've made it if I didn't go for the watermelon ending, oh well try 2. The Ico plat will be my 5000th trophy :D

probably would've made it if I didn't go for the watermelon ending, oh well try 2. The Ico plat will be my 5000th trophy :D

Haha, you did that too? xD Oh well, better to give it another go and make a better run! Try to land around 01:20:xx when saving at the Main Gate before the last section. You should have more than enough to get it then!

I have a save right before the lightsaber part so if I can't make this work I have a back up.

Edit: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

-UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YES!

5000th Trophy and 80th platinum :dance::dance::dance:

Edited by Qu1ck57r1k3

aww crap I'm at water tower w/ 1:16:21

also got lightsaber, figured it would pay for itself in saved time down the road... guess not - ive also been saving more but man! there is ZERO room for error here. aside from saving more ive been mostly tight... not 1:32 insane youtube tight, but reasonably so (i thought)

ah well, guess i'll just avoid dying and get the platinum some other time, im not gonna do a 3rd run as SotC is beckoning (first time playing either)

aww crap I'm at water tower w/ 1:16:21

also got lightsaber, figured it would pay for itself in saved time down the road... guess not - ive also been saving more but man! there is ZERO room for error here. aside from saving more ive been mostly tight... not 1:32 insane youtube tight, but reasonably so (i thought)

ah well, guess i'll just avoid dying and get the platinum some other time, im not gonna do a 3rd run as SotC is beckoning (first time playing either)

The lightsaber is good but you shouldn't need to fight anything on your speedrun, and if you do, the sword would be sufficient. And yes, there's nearly no room for error and you'll need to refine your steps. It just takes a little patience :)

Which room is this? Right at the start pretty much?

My time totals.

SAVE 1 - Graveyard (00:15:34)

SAVE 2 - Windmill (00:22:33)

SAVE 3 - Stone Pillar (00:27:45)

SAVE 4 - East Arena (00:32:52)

Arriving

SAVE 5 - East Arena (00:40:23)

Departing

SAVE 6 - Waterfall (00:47:01)

Arrival. Before piston jump and water wheel.

SAVE 7 - Gondola (00:55:33)

SAVE 8 - Water Tower (00:58:58)

SAVE 9 - West Idol Stairs (01:06:02)

Arrival

SAVE 10 - Main Gate (01:16:21)

Final Time = 01:49:09

Final Time = 01:46:xx

Can't tell you the seconds since it never asked me to save when I was done, but I did clock the ending (starting from last save, Main Gate) using my mobile phone and upon completion the timer was at 00:33:xx.

Yeah. No. The game lets you save at the very end and you can find out your total time right down to the second. Also if your second last save was at 1 hour 16 minutes then a total of 33 minutes would bring it to the 1 hour and 49 minute mark. NOT 1 hour and 46 minutes.

Edited by Freaky Ways

Yeah. No. The game lets you save at the very end and you can find out your total time right down to the second. Also if your second last save was at 1 hour 16 minutes then a total of 33 minutes would bring it to the 1 hour and 49 minute mark. NOT 1 hour and 46 minutes.

The game does not let you save if you're playing on a new game+.

Could you explain the waterfall save part please? So you goto the area with the waterwheel and pump, use pump, open door and get Yorda, then I am guessing you both float down the waterfall, climb stairs and save?

No. You save the FIRST time you get to the Waterfall. In the part where you have to leave Yorda behind and jump on a chain, swing over to a bridge, climb down a huge ladder, take an elevator up and then pull a lever in order for a gate to be opened for Yorda. Then you take the elevator down with Yorda, to the right there is 3 huge stone steps, climb up with Yorda and then go over the bridge and there's a stone couch right there. Save, and then move on to the piston jump/waterwheel. If you have huge fail on those 2, just reload your previous save. It's worth it, trust me.

Edited by Angelwork

Could you explain the waterfall save part please? So you goto the area with the waterwheel and pump, use pump, open door and get Yorda, then I am guessing you both float down the waterfall, climb stairs and save?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai-2x3FgR1Y&]ICO 1:32:54 Part 5 - YouTube[/ame]

Watch this vid starting at 4:45 to 4:50 there is an entrance to both of the character's left where you have to enter and cross a wooden plank bridge to get to the save point which will be on the left.

This is before the pump and waterwheel.