Is anyone else having trouble jumping in the "Mace" room?

Das_Kollaps

**POSSIBLE SPOILER**

In the "Waterfall" level there's a room where you must climb the railing in order to activate some kind of "jump-boosting" pump wheel thing. Inside this room there is also a smaller room where you get your secret weapon.

In the original version you can climb the railing all the way to the window, but apparently in this HD version they have spiced it up with the pump wheel where you much launch yourself to the top of the room. It's been over 90 minutes and I have yet had any luck getting pass this room!!! I got it a couple times but one time I fell off the edge and in the other, I thought my Mace was glitched so I restarted the area. Is anyone else also having trouble making this jump?

Edited by Das_Kollaps

well it took me a while to do the same BUT i believe i figured out the trick. wen ur guy jumps he bends his knees and Then jumps. if u watch the pump thing it goes down first, then shoots up. i think as long as u bend ur knees wen the pump goes down, u get the extra boost. other peeps should confirm

I was just at this part about 30 minutes ago, yes like Dark said when the pump thing goes down there's a window of time where you have to press the Triangle button for him to start his jumping animation, you have to time it just right for him to get the boost he needs to jump up and grab the ledge.

for the wheel, to me, it seems like wenever u get on top of a wheel section u have to run laterally or backwards a little bit before u can attempt to make the jump to the bar. if i did that, i made the jump. anything else and u just fall off the front edge of that wheel section ur trying to jump from. lemme kno if this particular movement makes it more consistent

The bouncy piston thing is easiest when your watching the little piston on the machine. When it goes down get ready. About a second (maybe two) after it starts to go back up, jump. As for the water wheel, I find it easiest to stand at the edge of the platform that you'll be jumping to the wheel from, and hitting jump and the analog stick toward the wheel at the same time to do a forward leap from a standing position. Then quickly climb up the wheel and immediately do the same type of jump toward the horizontal bar. Using this type of jump, I've been able to get past the wheel first try on two different speed run attempts.

The bouncy piston thing is easiest when your watching the little piston on the machine. When it goes down get ready. About a second (maybe two) after it starts to go back up, jump. As for the water wheel, I find it easiest to stand at the edge of the platform that you'll be jumping to the wheel from, and hitting jump and the analog stick toward the wheel at the same time to do a forward leap from a standing position. Then quickly climb up the wheel and immediately do the same type of jump toward the horizontal bar. Using this type of jump, I've been able to get past the wheel first try on two different speed run attempts.

What messed up your first speed run?

I wanted to see what Yorda was saying and I was unsure whether or not cutscenes added to your time. It seems that they do. Especially the ones you can't skip... like the final one... I killed the Queen in less than 2 hours, but couldn't skip the cut scene that followed and the credits. Running along the beach at the end doesn't help either.

Here's a helpful tip from a FAQ. Thanks to the dude on gamespot who found me the link:

After climbing up to the pipes and activating the piston,

everything seems pretty simple. However, jumping randomly on the

bouncing platform never does the trick, and its difficult to hit

the jackpot quickly. The answer lies not in the platform itself,

but on the contraption used to move it. If you use the right

analog stick to move the camera and the R2 button to zoom in,

you can focus on a smaller version of the piston working on top

of the main cover. Just keep looking at it. It goes up and down

as well, but more slowly. When it goes up, wait until it is

almost at the top and press the jump button. Luckily, Ico will

be projected high up into the air, and will be able to reach

the bloody platform.

Source

You're right! :applause:

I had no problems whatsoever with the launching pad.

And the wheel in the next room after this one is also horrible. This water pump thing is a nightmare for speedrun. Don't know why for collection they chose to use the European version.

This however... Drove me completely insane. Spent a good 15-20 minutes trying to get up to the spinning lever. :/

• 1 year later...
well it took me a while to do the same BUT i believe i figured out the trick. wen ur guy jumps he bends his knees and Then jumps. if u watch the pump thing it goes down first, then shoots up. i think as long as u bend ur knees wen the pump goes down, u get the extra boost. other peeps should confirm

awesome tip man thanks. worked first time.

• 4 months later...

Jumping has a huge delay so as soon as the thing goes down press the jump button.

And the wheel in the next room after this one

As for this one, move your character to the left as soon as you land up there, don't worry, you have plenty of time to change his direction, so do that and then jump, don't spam the jump button as soon as you go up there or else he'll always miss the jump.