Is it just me, or are the controls awful?

poetic_justice_

For a game that is largely a platformer, the climbing controls for I Am Alive are horrible! When I want the man to climb down, he climbs sideways. When he is 2 feet above the ground and the ladder doesn't touch the ground, an additional button press is required to make him drop. The moving-sideways-instead-of-climbing-down is particularly annnoying because it wastes Stamina, particularly in dusty parts of Haventon.

I am really surprised that the climbing mechanics were not cleaned up prior to game release, particularly with the seamless parkour of the Assassin's Creed series setting the bar so high for Ubisoft. I Am Alive just doesn't feel right while platforming.

The :r1: to sprint and fire but :r2: to change weapons is a bit awkward. Fortunately, the character locks on quickly, but sometimes when the machete enemies charge and you run out of ammo (especially on the boat), forcing you to switch weapons quickly, it feels awkward trying to run, gun, and switch weapons.

Keeping aim with :l1: and fire with :r1:, moving sprint to:cross: (or :r2:) and inventory to the D-pad would simplify things a bit. Instead of changing weapons with :r2:, change them with :l2:. I was hoping for an optional controller layout - granted, the game is relatively simple - but the gameplay for me was lackluster because the controls never felt right.

How do you other gamers feel about the controls and platforming?

I found the climbing mechanics to be a nuisance... Like you said, you end up wasting stamina trying to climb up or down something, only to have the guy constantly move left and right. I didn't really have a problem with anything else. Overall, I enjoyed the game.

• 3 months later...

Too bad this isn't noticable in many aspects of the game. I was getting so frustrated by this game (which I thought could be nice and fun based on the demo) that I have played more than half of it with a walkthrough, just to get through fast and ensure I don't have to get back for any trophies. Luckily I'm almost at the end, but hell, I started to hate this game. I might sometime come back to it to give it a second chance on Survivor (to earn the last trophy), but I think that isn't likely to happen.

• 3 months later...

In my opinion, the controls were very good. I didn't mind running on R1 or changing weapons on R2... just when I was climbing there were some problems, like you said. Wanting to go up or down and the guy just went sideways pissed me off twice or thrice. Well, I'll play the survival and then the normal mode again to finish all the trophies.

Great game despite some minor glitches, mistakes...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

im going on my 3rd playthrough. first one just to enjoy the game. 2cd for victims. now for survivor mode. the whole time ive played i never had a problem with the climbing. just make sure the stick is down or up. if its slightly left or right you will go left or right. and the controls were amazing to me. controls for call of duty is a different story though. and so far i havent had any glitches happen.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't call them awful. Sometimes the climbing is a bit clunky and he continues climbing in a direction you didn't intend, but that's about it. I had a little trouble adjusting to the combat controls, I still think they could have mapped the weapon switching to the D-Pad, but maybe that's just me.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I think overall this game is shitty, and it hurts me, because when I start ir, I was hoping that will be a good survival game with a good climat and story

I'am after skyscraper now, and to be honest I'am already bored of this game and kinda exhausted

First, I really don't like the black and white graphics in this, I know what devs want to achieve, but it really sucks after short time

Second, the story for now isn't good, it just not sucks you into game, I just don't give a fuck about this story, and it's sad

But if the gameplay was at least decent, it will still be ok, not all games must be a milestones or aaa titles of course

But the gameplay is the part that sucks ass the most

Controls are really bad when you climbing, most of the time you miss direction where you want to go and lose precious stamina

Combat aren't working good too, despite the good ideas like stealth machete attack or make enemies surrender it's clumsy, the gun pointing just feel too slow

And the stamina system, it's what buries the game to the ground, stamina uses too much and you just can't explore a little you can't use a trial and error strategy to find the best climbing path, you need to memorize it and even then you probably need to constantly using health items

And you got only a few tries, so it frustrates you ever more, I like a good challenge, but it's just annoying in this game

I hate when a good idea is done that bad

Ok, now I'am making my survivor run, I just got bow from Henry and I must admit it's a little easier playing it second time, you are better in feel you stamina, but the system still is shitty

And the combat is annoying, I was in line 4, take out 2 guys and got 2 others at gunpoint and i intimidate them, and shitty combat mechanic instead of intimidating make me kill the downed enemy with machete, and of course retry lost

Other time when you first climb the scryscraper, after getting stuff from the hanging crate, you need to slide down from roof and roll to avoid obstacles, this crap due to shitty camera need to be repeated 2 times, good that there was a checkpoint a little earlier

About the items on the survivor run it's almost the same as in normal run, some items are missing and in some places 1st aid kits are changed to painkillers but it really won't make much difference, I still got plenty items and ammo during my survival run

Ok I finished my survivor run, it was easier and quicker then the normal run, so if you start the game and fear that no way you can accomplish survivor, don't worry, it's really easy after you beat the game one time

Edited by pootas1985