"CPU Neptune"?!

you should be able to look in the combo screen when making up new combos and it will tell you if its a single or group target ability

I can't do that, because it's not a normal attack/combo.

I guess that it's kind of a "hidden" move since it only shows up when you're already transformed...and then do another combo that would result in you transforming again...since you can't transform again...the move shows up.

So far, for me, when it does show up, it's always been in the circle position.

It's just that by that point, I've already spent just about all of my CP...and it requires 100 CP to use.

Oh well, I guess that I'll get to use/see it once my level gets high enough for me to have enough additional CP points to play around with.

I can't do that, because it's not a normal attack/combo.

I guess that it's kind of a "hidden" move since it only shows up when you're already transformed...and then do another combo that would result in you transforming again...since you can't transform again...the move shows up.

So far, for me, when it does show up, it's always been in the circle position.

It's just that by that point, I've already spent just about all of my CP...and it requires 100 CP to use.

Oh well, I guess that I'll get to use/see it once my level gets high enough for me to have enough additional CP points to play around with.

I guess best way is when she is the one that did GuardBreak with using barely any AP I guess.

• 2 years later...

I discovered a systematic way to to use CPU Neptune, but it will usually be on Neptune's SECOND turn in battle.

In her first turn, use the first sequence to TRANSFORM her. Forthe rest of the sequences, do whatever works best for you for the rest of her first turn here. Myself, I like to build the second sequence up to use Neptune Break which attacks all enemies equally for only 60 AP.

After Nep's first turn (and now being transfromed), watch the Guard Break bar as the other party members attack the enemy. Once you see hat the Guard Break bar is very close to the bottom, stop that other party member from doing anything more. Use Defend, if that is what it takes.

It is imperative that it is the transformed Neptune who triggers the actual Guard Break in her first sequence in this second turn. Triggering the Guard Break herself will add more AP to Neptune, and you need that extra AP in order to be back over 100 AP on the fourth button-push in the first sequence of that second turn in battle.

I enjoy this attack; is very powerful. Once the CPU Neptune attack begins, the "show" is also very fun to watch (which I do every time). I laugh every time I see the asterisked-footnote on the bottom right of the screen during that "show."

---

http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Iconoclast94.png

Edited by Iconoclast94
Having forgotten to add my Trophy Card, doing it now

Congrats and kudoes to you for your recent Plat on this game!

I am currently at Level 53 and preparing to recruit my first goddess (BH) but getting bogged down in having now raised Lastation shares up to near 80% and still not finding "Unfortunate Black Heart." (My next guess and approach will be to see if that event pops up AFTER recruiting Black Heart.) Anyway, that is where I currently am at. So, I definitely have mad respect for you here.

As you said that you used CPU Neptune only once, I am also guessing it is possible that you might have simply missed out on how good that attack can be. One thing I observed is that it seems that Neptune Break does less damage on certain landmasses (possibly related to share-count?). So, I wonder if maybe the same happened with CP Neptune on the one time you used it?

I like that both Neptune Break and CPU Neptune are Area attacks that get all enemies. They both worked superbly and efficiently when re-doing dungeons as fast as possible in order to raise shares.

And as I said in the previous post, the displayed asterisked-footnote on the bottom right of the animation for CPU Neptune is hilarious (especially when you recognize the difference from landmass to landmass when you use CPU Neptune).

I think you might enjoy it too. :-)

In any event, again, kudoes for being diagnosed with Neptunia!

Statistically speaking, Neptune Break is better than CPU Neptune.

At near the end of the game, when you have enough AP, you can do this:

level 70++: Transform combo and Neptune Break (or Spiral Break or Infinite Slash) in one turn without Guard Break AP boost.

level 80++: Neptune Break (or Spiral Break or Infinite Slash) twice in one combo without Guard Break AP boost.

However, it needs higher AP (maybe you have to buy the level limit increase DLC) to reach a point where you can do CPU Neptune without Guard Break AP boost twice in one turn. Neptune Break does a pretty good damage, it's not as high as CPU Neptune, but if you do it twice, Neptune Break damages will pass CPU Neptune.

That's why, wasting AP for 2x Neptune Break is better than 1x CPU Neptune.

Another reason to use Neptune Break is to save AP and save yourself. By choosing defend command with high AP, the damage you receive will be significantly reduced. Some bosses at the end of the game, will force you to defend with half or full AP in order to keep you alive. It's better to use 1 Neptune Break per turn and then defend with half of your AP, rather than wasting 3/4 of your AP and defend with only 1/4 AP left.

I think I understand what you are saying. But I would like to encourage you (and anyone else reading this) to still enjoy CPU Neptune for the times when it does make more sense to use it.

The OP was not asking for a debate about which attack is more efficient, when they made the post about CPU Neptune about 2 and a half years ago. According to their profile card report, that user, darkrpger, has not achieved another trophy in this game since March 2012. Even then, they did not proceed much beyond recruiting Nisa and Gust. That expains why they asked the question, I would think. At those lower levels, darkrpger was only seeing the CPU Neptune option but not being able to use it very much.

With that said, I am more than happy to further discuss the issue of efficiency.

As I write this, I just recruited my first goddess, Black Heart, while being at level 53 and equipping Neptune with Power Bangle (extending HP up to 6700). She also had something in the neighborhood of 132 AP at start. With that one battle, yes, I did learn (for my first time) the important value of using the DEFEND square. Learning the exact time to use that DEFEND square was indeed a powerful new lesson for me in this game. You make a good point about that, for sure.

By being at level 53 in this battle, once Neptune was transformed in the very first turn, I did always have enough AP in all subsequent turns to use the 100 AP for CPU Neptune without depending on Guard Break anymore to "give back" any needed AP to use it.

But, it is true that I would not always want to use that for the attack.

In that battle, there were indeed times when, as you also rightly pointed out, it could have made more sense to use the Neptune Break to thereafter save AP for DEFEND. No doubt, using CPU Neptune would have left the AP so low as to not be valuable against the pending Black Heart attack.

BUT....

I would never use Neptune Break, because I actually needed a HIGHER level of AP to DEFEND. (Instead, I would do Attack-1, Attack-2, Alex Kidd-3, Jumping Arts-4, ComboLinkclick-to-restore-AP, DEFEND while then at 97AP!)

As the battle progessed, there were a few times, when Neptune would get the opportunity to attack TWO TURNS in a row. In the first turn, there was enough AP to use CPU Neptune - but (at this level 53) there WOULD NOT have been enough AP to use Neptune Break TWICE in the one turn. As such, it would not matter if two Neptune Breaks would do more damage than one CPU Neptune because doing two Neptune Breaks was not possible anyway. (As a paranthetical and additional note: when Neptune got two turns in a row, that usually ended up with Black Heart next getting two turns in a row too. In such cases, after using CPU Neptune in Neptune's first of the two simultaneous turns, I would then use her second simultaneous turn to use 100% of her AP to DEFEND against the pending two Black Heart attacks.)

What this experience shows is that there are indeed times when using CPU Neptune has its better value over Neptune Break.

Moreover, I would not find myself able to agree with the logic of your assertion. Yes, I do agree that there will be times that the math of two Neptune Breaks (8+8+8+60)+(8+8+8+60) makes more sense with more attack-power than CPU Neptune (8+8+8+100), and that the former being done twice will do more damage than the latter one being done once - as long as she has enough AP to use Neptune Break twice, such as at the much higher levels you mention. But logic does not dictate that that "means" that CPU Neptune should not be used.

For comparison of why I do not see this as logical: You rightly pointed out the important need to use DEFEND in CERTAIN INSTANCES. My own experience verifies and validates your excellent point there, as the DEFEND square was essential in my battle to recruit Black Heart. But just because there were times when it was essential to use DEFEND even for the entire turn, it would be wholly NOT LOGICAL to use that true fact to then assert that one should never use the attack buttons (and instead always use the DEFEND square). I believe that you would agree with me that you would never recommend that, of course.

In the same way, as my experience in battling to recruit Black Heart ALSO verifies and validates, there are CERTAIN INSTANCES when using CPU Neptune is the far superior option to using Neptune Break. Indeed, in my battle against Black Heart, I would NOT have ever wanted to use Neptune Break. Even so, it would be wholly NOT LOGICAL for me to use that true fact to then assert that one should never use Neptune Break (and instead always use CPU Neptune).

Indeed, that assertion would be false because, as you rightly pointed out, there are indeed times (especially at higher levels) when two Neptune Breaks are achievable and are better to use than doing a a single use of CPU Neptune.

Of course, I, myself, do not make that assertion; but it is the mirror-image of the logic that your assertion about not using CPU Neptune posits.

Mind you, I do not point this out in order to point out things as being "wrong." Not at all. I very much appreciate your input and your other excellent points that you have made! Plus, I truly respect your Platting this game. And I THANK YOU for giving me something for which to look forward: i.e., being able to use Neptune Break TWICE in a single turn when I reach even higher levels. So, I am not trying to debate here or battle you whatsoever! Rather, I share this insight only to ENCOURAGE you (and anyone else reading this) to still be able to enjoy the CPU Neptune attack if you ever go back to play the game again!

Thanks again for all of your input!

Edited by Iconoclast94
(corrected typos)

• 2 weeks later...

Today, I completed the The Real Arfoire Stands Up trophy with Neptune at level 80. Accordingly, I am now glad to now come back and share what I have learned since my previous replies.

I so appreciated this comment:

Statistically speaking, Neptune Break is better than CPU Neptune.

At near the end of the game, when you have enough AP, you can do this:

level 70++: Transform combo and Neptune Break (or Spiral Break or Infinite Slash) in one turn without Guard Break AP boost.

level 80++: Neptune Break (or Spiral Break or Infinite Slash) twice in one combo without Guard Break AP boost.

However, it needs higher AP (maybe you have to buy the level limit increase DLC) to reach a point where you can do CPU Neptune without Guard Break AP boost twice in one turn. Neptune Break does a pretty good damage, it's not as high as CPU Neptune, but if you do it twice, Neptune Break damages will pass CPU Neptune.

That's why, wasting AP for 2x Neptune Break is better than 1x CPU Neptune.

Another reason to use Neptune Break is to save AP and save yourself. By choosing defend command with high AP, the damage you receive will be significantly reduced. Some bosses at the end of the game, will force you to defend with half or full AP in order to keep you alive. It's better to use 1 Neptune Break per turn and then defend with half of your AP, rather than wasting 3/4 of your AP and defend with only 1/4 AP left.

Thank you for sharing your observation on this earlier! As I was subsequently grinding up to these levels, I was purposely looking to see (and experience) what you were saying - and you were definitely right on target.

I am happy to both affirm and confirm your excellent points about what happens at these higher levels later in the game. Just as you rightly said, at these higher levels, Neptune Break is indeed much better to use than CPU Neptune.

From what I experienced, it seems that the latter became mildly stagnant and did not "grow" as much in relative attack-power into the higher levels than the former. Additionally, Neptune Break also seemed to have a vastly superior impact on reducing the GP to create Guard Break. Lastly, when it is possible to perfectly time the attacks, getting two Neptune Breaks during a Guard Break is awesome!

It is my view now that CPU Neptune is a better and more powerful attack to use earlier in the game when it first becomes available. But when getting to the hgher levels, its value diminishes, while the value of Neptune Break expands, exactly as you have said would happen at these higher levels.

Now that I have a more complete picture of this, I still do recommend for you and for anyone else at such higher levels to re-visit an easier optional dungeon and enjoy the graphics (and humor) of using CPU Neptune. But when playing for specific objectives at these higher levels, I fully agree with your excellent points that using two Neptune Breaks is definitely the vastly superior (and more efficient) way to go!

Thank you for such an important point!