is this game worth getting?

shadownobody

It has some of the charm like in the Disgaea games. The battle system is turn based, nothing like setting and moving characters across a board; its not an SRPG. And the cutscenes are played out in Visual Novel segments. You choose where to go through a menu-based world map. And very minimal grind.

I mean, it's a little rough around the edges gameplay-wise, but I have not put it down since I've gotten it. Lvl 30 right now, and it's still holding my attention. Check out some gameplay videos on youtube to see if it's your kinda thing.

HI

i'm huge disgaea fan and nisa Strategy-rpg games.

i have seen atelier games and its not my thing,but this game caught my attention.

is this game any good?

thanks

I would recommend it but just as a warning I love parodies and RPGs and this combines both. I mean you've got places named after game systems, one of the trophies incorporates that too (Leanbox Three-Six-Key - Xbox 360), one of the DLC add-ons is Dragon with a Blue Shadow and this is the description on the dungeon "The shadow of a boy in Leanbox suddenly changed its shape into a dragon. The shadow is completely out of control and destroying the town against the boy's will.

Defeat the shadow and help the boy!" both of which are major references to Blue Dragon. There are clothing pieces in the shape of directional pads and controller buttons.

It's a lot of fun so far but it also depends on if you liked Trinity Universe as that is the closest game to this one that I can think of.

I would recommend it but just as a warning I love parodies and RPGs and this combines both. I mean you've got places named after game systems, one of the trophies incorporates that too (Leanbox Three-Six-Key - Xbox 360), one of the DLC add-ons is Dragon with a Blue Shadow and this is the description on the dungeon "The shadow of a boy in Leanbox suddenly changed its shape into a dragon. The shadow is completely out of control and destroying the town against the boy's will.

Defeat the shadow and help the boy!" both of which are major references to Blue Dragon. There are clothing pieces in the shape of directional pads and controller buttons.

It's a lot of fun so far but it also depends on if you liked Trinity Universe as that is the closest game to this one that I can think of.

this game comes out in europe in 5/march so i'm gona buy this game,nisa is a great company and deserve my support.

:dance:

this game comes out in europe in 5/march so i'm gona buy this game,nisa is a great company and deserve my support.

:dance:

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the game. Also, I haven't gone that far in (trying to complete Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll first) but so far I've seen enemies that remind me of the blue slimes from Dragon Quest/Warrior and enemies from Space Invaders.

I understand that with games like these, Gamespot reviews should never be trusted (they gave it 3.0/10). So for the people already playing this, what would you rate it?

I'd rate it a 6/10.

Why don't you start a poll if you're really interested in getting a bunch of other ratings?

No, this is an absolutely terrible game. As much as I want to support the localization of niche Japanese games, I can't pretend that this game isn't crap.

The levels are repetitious and ugly. The plot is garbled and stupid, and it's presented to you in the most obnoxious way possible - via still frame dialogue boxes that just go on and on about NOTHING. Unfunny inside jokes that really don't make any sense... This game's idea of a clever reference really falls along the lines of "hey look, it's a turtle fighting a plumber that's eating mushrooms! Neat!" To compound how lame this is, the most you'll actually SEE of this event is a vague outline of the character being referenced.

Your characters are equally obnoxious in both Japanese and English... especially Compa, who squeaks in this voice that sounds like nails being dragged across a chalkboard.

The battle system is horrendous and poorly thought out. Take a look at the design for the healing system. What the hell were they thinking with that layout I'll never guess, but even if you think it's innovative, the execution is flawed and annoying. The difficulty balance is completely off as well. You'll find that most of the time you're simply smashing buttons to wade through obnoxiously easy monsters because the world design REQUIRES you to visit AND revisit areas with level 1 monsters.

The combo system is terribly designed. You'll basically create two or three working combos and never need to really alter them, outside of the occasional refitting with a new ability. So, really, all you'll be doing is pressing X triangle triangle triangle or triangle four times every battle, while you need to mash the L2 button to speed along the battle animations WHICH take forever otherwise, which really ends up resulting in you not even watching the battles after a while; you just watch the damage numbers fly around on the screen while you wish it would just hurry up and get to something more interesting.

And when I say the dungeons are boring and repetitive, it's important to realize that the dungeons are ALL the game offers. There's no world map, no towns, just dungeons. Each dungeon requires that you complete one of three set tasks while you hunt around the same narrow corridors looking for treasure boxes and a hidden box in each map. Never mind that the dimensions of each dungeon are the same, never mind that the walls are recycled, never mind that there's really only 5 or 6 variations of dungeon design that are occasionally slightly tweaked, never mind that the boss fights are usually reskinned generic monsters... The three set tasks are unimaginative and boring as all hell! You either A) walk to the exit B) kill a certain amount of enemies or pick up a certain number of enemy item drops or C) kill a monster. THAT'S IT.

Oh yeah, and the music is repetitive torture.

There is almost nothing here to like. If you're that rare person who loved Trinity Universe, this is your kind of game, because it's basically the exact same thing but repackaged with a less appealing world and an inferior battle system. Maybe there's more semblance of an actual plot, but it doesn't matter because it hardly makes any sense.

I can understand someone liking this sort of niche title, but to blindly recommend it to someone is really kind of lame. This is a niche title amongst niche titles, and there's a reason the metacritic score is hovering around 30 percent. This game really has to be RIGHT UP YOUR ALLEY, or it's painful to play.

All of the people who complained about FFXIII being too linear and repetitive should be forced to play this travesty of a game for a couple hours for some perspective. Here's to hoping that Ar Tonelico III is something incredible... I can't take another bland cookie cutter jrpg like this.

And I still can't believe that games like this and Last Rebellion are getting English localizations while Tales of Vesperia isn't. Ugh.

Edited by Gogmagog

Before people flame this post or whatever, he's not just speaking trash, it is an incredibly niche and old style RPG. It really does have to be up your alley to appreciate and enjoy. If you're looking for a great RPG, it isn't here. However it's a decent JRPG with plenty of fanservice.

As stated by the top two posters. However I hardly agree with the rant fanatic. I enjoy this game myself very much, but it's true, it is not for EVERYONE. It is your standard classic style JRPG, with lots of grinding and very repetative. However I do enjoy the story, even though it sadly gets misconstrude due to the fact that you have to move around alot to complete each area, and each area has it's very own story, so you get them broken up. But I also must state to the poster above that is complaining about this as well as Last Rebellion, (both of which I pleasently enjoyed and have completed) Ar Tonelico is developed and produced, BY THE SAME companies. If you don't like their games, don't waste your time purchasing more just to feed more of your flame.

So for those of you just looking for something enjoyable and eye pleasing, yes this game is worth it. The music is great, the graphics are fun and colorful. And I for one love the characters as well :)

It's surprising how mixed the reviews are as well. a few 2/10's and a few 7/10's and a random mesh of scores in-between. I personally enjoy the game, heck I might play it through a second time when the DLC characters are released in Europe. I say to anyone on the fence, wait for a price drop, but if you enjoy games others don't, might as well give it a go.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

I just picked up Gust and Nisa myself, and finishing up my second playthrough now for the platinum. Also to the ranter again. Apparently he doesn't know very much about the gaming industry while Tales of Vespera has already been localized....

Then maybe you can answer a question I have, when Nisa and Gust join your party, do they also add lines to conversations?

Then maybe you can answer a question I have, when Nisa and Gust join your party, do they also add lines to conversations?

No they do not. They weren't initially supposed to be playable characters. I'm assuming that players from Japan really wanted to play as the characters so they were just added in as DLC. Most DLC is most likely coded into the game already. But Gust and NISA are definately after development created, as they have more animated aspects to their characters when running with them in dungeons then the others do.

I just picked up Gust and Nisa myself, and finishing up my second playthrough now for the platinum. Also to the ranter again. Apparently he doesn't know very much about the gaming industry while Tales of Vespera has already been localized....

I'm referring to the PS3 version of Vesperia, and I thought that was obvious...

Ar Tonelico is developed and produced, BY THE SAME companies. If you don't like their games, don't waste your time purchasing more just to feed more of your flame.

No, that game was developed by Gust, while Trinity Universe and Neptunia were developed by Idea Factory. In the US they're all being published by the same company (NISA), but that doesn't change the fact that they were CREATED by different studios. The gameplay in Tonelico is actually action/rpg, not turn-based for starters, so it's already a completely different kind of game...

So for those of you just looking for something enjoyable and eye pleasing, yes this game is worth it. The music is great, the graphics are fun and colorful. And I for one love the characters as well :)

Ok, you can like the game, that's fine. You can also like Last Rebellion. You can't get away with praising the graphics though... they look like PS2 games.

And sure, you can like the music, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but wow... really? Even if you like it, you have to admit that it's recycled and repeated throughout the game. The dungeon music is recycled at a faster tempo for the battle music. On top of that, there's about 5 songs in the whole damn game.

Are you sure you played the same game I'm playing?

I will give you the fact that the graphics for Last Rebellion are definately PS2 graphics, but that's only due to the fact that it was developed for the PS2, then they decided to port it over to the PS3.

Also HdN was developed by IF, Gust and Compile Hearts, not just by IF.

I just like the music in HdN it's quite uplifting and compaired to the music I'm normally listening to, I find it as a type of easy listening and a break from the norm for me.

The fact of the matter is, HdN is a good game, if you don't like the game you don't have to play it. But you shouldn't bash it, most of the people in here even remotely asking about it, are more than likely used to playing these types of games, as HdN wasn't very highly promoted like most of the NIS games. They're brought over to the states because they have a following and they know that they will sell.

Also just because Tales of Vesperia hasn't been released on the PS3 does not mean it hasn't been localized, so if you wanted your question to be, why hasn't Tales of Vesperia been released onto the PS3 for the US that would have made it seem more valid of a question, and not seem like you're just bashing on Idea Factory/NIS games in a whole just because you feel jipped out on not having an Xbox. Granted I prefer my PS3 over my Xbox, but if there is a game I really want, I will go and get it for my xbox. And if you don't have one, they are only 200 bucks now, trade in your copy of HdN and whatever else you aren't playing and pick one up. It's not that difficult.

I will give you the fact that the graphics for Last Rebellion are definately PS2 graphics, but that's only due to the fact that it was developed for the PS2, then they decided to port it over to the PS3.

Neptunia looks like crap also. So does Trinity Universe. There are MANY PS2 games that look better.

Also HdN was developed by IF, Gust and Compile Hearts, not just by IF.

No, it wasn't. Gust did not develop Neptunia any more than Sega did.

I just like the music in HdN it's quite uplifting and compaired to the music I'm normally listening to, I find it as a type of easy listening and a break from the norm for me.

It's still repetitive and sounds like it was composed on GM synths from the 80s.

The fact of the matter is, HdN is a good game, if you don't like the game you don't have to play it. But you shouldn't bash it, most of the people in here even remotely asking about it, are more than likely used to playing these types of games, as HdN wasn't very highly promoted like most of the NIS games. They're brought over to the states because they have a following and they know that they will sell.

WHAT?! It's now a "fact" that Hyperdimension Neptunia is a good game? And I shouldn't bash it, even though this is a thread ASKING if the game is worth getting? I offered a very detailed explanation as to what I don't like about the game.

Also just because Tales of Vesperia hasn't been released on the PS3 does not mean it hasn't been localized

No, it means that the superior and expanded PS3 version hasn't been localized.

so if you wanted your question to be, why hasn't Tales of Vesperia been released onto the PS3 for the US that would have made it seem more valid of a question, and not seem like you're just bashing on Idea Factory/NIS games in a whole just because you feel jipped out on not having an Xbox.

Huh? Ok... I'd rather see a localization of Tears to Tiara.

And I'm not personally feeling left out. I have the import version of Vesperia.

I don't like the game, most of the critics don't like the game. I've explained why. You can't come into a thread asking for opinions and then say I'm not entitled to mine, especially when I noted that "if you loved Trinity Universe, you'll love this."

Granted I prefer my PS3 over my Xbox, but if there is a game I really want, I will go and get it for my xbox. And if you don't have one, they are only 200 bucks now, trade in your copy of HdN and whatever else you aren't playing and pick one up. It's not that difficult.

I'd rather not buy an Xbox. I don't buy anything from Microsoft.

Neptunia looks like crap also. So does Trinity Universe. There are MANY PS2 games that look better.

That's because niche games are not meant for excellent graphics. They never have been. So when considering that, Neptunia looks good, and Gust's PS3 games look really nice.

Idea Factory games are really niche even in Japan. So it's not like they can spend a lot of money on their projects. But of course they make up for it by adding lots of DLC to their games.

Having nice graphics in niche PS3 JRPGs is the least of their worries no matter who the developers are.

Last Rebellion really sold badly in Japan even for a niche game. But of course it was released the same day as End of Eternity, Ar tonelico III, and some other JRPGs that were guaranteed to sell a whole lot more copies. So in this case it's really a good thing Last Rebellion didn't have a higher budget.

Also the music is good in Neptunia. Not as good as like say Gust's music, but still good. Plus 5pb. is another company involved with this game that usually has pretty good music in their games.

But I love this game enough to have a Japanese copy and an American copy.

Gogmagog's review of the game is downright harsh and I like the review because it is. Without a down there is no up. There hasn't been a few times playing this game That I havent stopped and asked myself "why am I playing this crap?" and I like the game!

So do I like playing crap games is my next question to me?

the music is fair, good not great, but repetitive. The graphics suck, plain and simple. This is PS3, not PS2. Make it look so. The story isn't all that, but charming in it's own retarded way. The fighting is barf. It can get downright boring at times which coincidentally are the times when I ask myself the question from the previous paragraph..

I'd like to pose a question.. What rpg is HDN better than? I'd like to read what some of you think.

I think people are spoiled with the PS3 games with the better graphics because of higher budgets. Excellent graphics are not free to developers.

The story is not meant to be excellent. It's a parody/comedy game.

Oh and HDN is a lot better than FFXIII IMO. FFXIII is so bad I wanted to break my LED HDTV though FFXII is even worse. Plus WKC wasn't that great. WKC was ok but still kind of meh.