My theory on the Crystal trophy glitch!

YokA_sun

Okay, It took me 3 runs to finally get this trophy and the platinum (annoying trophy yes, very annoying..). I want to post my experience and my theories on this trophy so you would have a better chance not to miss it.

Before I start, remember this is just my theory but if you ask me I d like to put a bet on it. To Clarify a few things first:

1. Yes, you need 132 crystals to get the trophy. Description states " collect all possible crystals for the game". That includes 71 crystals on the map and those made by the shards you pick up from enemies and blue vases. Don't ask me why, I took the hard lesson by getting all 71 crystals and intentionally missing a lot of shards (and trophy of course did not pop :<<) Because the game won't drop any more shards for replays.

2. No, you don't have to pick up all shards dropped by enemy. It's RANDOM with a limit for the number of crystals you have in hand. Say you have 10 crystals, you maybe only get 75 shards from enemy or vases. Usually a sign of reaching limit is when you see enemy don't drop shards or the shards on the ground turn in to dark(ghost). If you miss any shards, simply keep playing and the enemies in the next chapter/section will drop enough for you.

So what's the point of missing the trophy? if I keep an eye on all the shards I collect. Here is the deal:

3. If you miss a shard in the last battle before the final 2 crystals (chapter 6 section 5), then the trophy may glitch on you. My theory is that the game only recognizes the last crystal you pick up from the map. So you need to make sure you have 130 crystals . Not 129 and a couple of shards before you reach the gate with the dead dragon corpse where you find the last two crystals.

In my second runthrough I intentionally missed one last shard (I had a 4/5 ) before I reached the last two crystals and missed the trophy.

4. DON'T REPLAY any chapter while you on the first run. I can't confirm this but I have heard that some people had this glitch (132 crystals no trophy). So to be safe, Do not jump around chapters. You may replay a chapter after you finish the game if you are sure you have missed one and know where it is.

5. If you do everything and still have 131 crystals, then most likely you missed one from the chapters. Replay them. But if you have the glitch already by missing the last one shard before the gate or for other reasons, replaying all chapters won't save you. The safe way is to erase data (game data and save files) and start again. Having the patch installed should cause no problem.

So basically, follow the guide and make sure you have all 71 crystals and pick up shards as when you see them without worrying too much about missing them (you get more chances). But when you reach the last chapter, make sure you GRAB ALL POSSIBLE SHARDS before the last two crystals (the sleg battle is a good place).

I wrote down the number of crystals for each chapter and the crystals I had with my character,

................ Crystals on map ..... # of Crystals by end of chapter

Prologue .................. 3 .................. 3

Chapter 1 ................ 11 ................ 24

Chapter 2 ................ 14 ................ 53

Chapter 3 ................ 14 ................ 80

Chapter 4 ................ 7 .................. 95

Chapter 5 ................ 11 ................ 116

Chapter 6 ................ 11 ................ 132 (130 right before I picked up the last two)

Again, stress free! The game does not drop a fixed number of shards for each section. You don't have to reach the amount that I list here (your number should be close), just don't miss out too many in the last chapter.

Oh One more thing. It's 132 crystals for new game and 164 for new game+

Good luck!

Edited by YokA_sun

Well, thanks for your counting, I'll try to follow it, although I already finished chapter 1 with 23 crystals and 3/5 shards. :mad: And I explored everything, killed everyone in my patch and there weren't any more drops of shards. So I started chapter 2 and killed the 2 first enemies and walked until the first save point, rinsed and repeated this until they gave me the 2/5 missing shards. Hope this don't mess the counting... :think:

Well, thanks for your counting, I'll try to follow it, although I already finished chapter 1 with 23 crystals and 3/5 shards. :mad: And I explored everything, killed everyone in my patch and there weren't any more drops of shards. So I started chapter 2 and killed the 2 first enemies and walked until the first save point, rinsed and repeated this until they gave me the 2/5 missing shards. Hope this don't mess the counting... :think:

Hi, I think you don't need to follow the counting. Actually what I said was you can play the game without worrying too much about missing some shards.. You will for sure reach the max amount in later sections. Don't rinse and repeat. Replaying the chapters/sections has higher chance for glitching the game..

Actually I think I just got the formula for the counting. There is no shards in the prologue so if i take the 3 crystals out of the equation. Then starting from chapter 1 (till chapter 5),

(crystals on map total -3) X 2 = (maximum of crystals you can obtain from both map and enemies - 3)

The 3 is the prologue crystals.

Edited by YokA_sun

This seems right. This is the only trophy I was missing for plat, so I will have to try again.

I remember the final sleg battle I was still getting shards but after beating that and getting the last two crystals I never got any shards again, so i guess after last crystal you are out of luck if you didn't get 130. i was also stuck with 131 and a few shard pieces and no matter what I do, I can't get more and I went through again and made sure I had every single crystal. That sucks tho, so i guess I gotta do another whole playthrough?! argh. thanx tho.

Actually I ended chapter 2 with 52 crystals and 3/5 shards, so... I started all over again and really must have missed something because in this new gameplay I ended chapter 1 with the full 24 crystals and now I have 53 and 1/5 by the end of chapter 2. And no, I won't take any chances of replaying this damned game again, this is my third gameplay and I'll follow your guidelines to the core ;)

I missed 2 full crystals on chap 4 coz i accidentally entered a ruined building and cant go back.

Should I just play till the end of the game (with the missing 2 crystals) and then go back to 4.2 and get them?

Ending the game with 130 crystals (hopefully) and then the 2 missing ones

Thanks to YokA_sun I finally got the platinum in this annoying game! :applause:

I followed the milestones he posted for every chapter and finished the game with 132 full crystals and even with some extra shards! This info should be added to the official guide! Thank you very much, YokA_sun! :applause:

http://www.myps3t.com.br/media/card/a/coraxbio.png

Glad it helped!

I missed 2 full crystals on chap 4 coz i accidentally entered a ruined building and cant go back.

Should I just play till the end of the game (with the missing 2 crystals) and then go back to 4.2 and get them?

Ending the game with 130 crystals (hopefully) and then the 2 missing ones

I think either way probably is fine. I'd rather replay the section because there are two (instead of one) missing. I have not replayed any section in my playthrough.

Posted this in another thread, but wanted to put it here so it isn't missed:

First time I played, I got all 71 crystals, and enough shards to make 132 total. When I got to the final two crystals in level 6.5, I made sure I had 130 so the trophy wouldn't glitch. It still did. So, did a few more play throughs and trophy still wouldn't pop. Finally, last play through, I only had 129 crystals and 4/5 shards when I got to the final two crystals. So, I skipped them, got the 1 shard I needed to have 130 crystals, beat the game, loaded up level 6.5 via chapter select to get the last two crystals, and the trophy popped as soon as I grabbed the last crystal. So, for those who are getting to the final two crystals with only 129 and a few shards, I would recommend skipping them so that the shards you get after skipping the last two crystals still count. You can then go back and get the final two crystals via chapter select.

Hope this helps anyone who is having trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

First time I played, I got all 71 crystals, and enough shards to make 132 total. When I got to the final two crystals in level 6.5, I made sure I had 130 so the trophy wouldn't glitch. It still did. So, did a few more play throughs and trophy still wouldn't pop. Finally, last play through, I only had 129 crystals and 4/5 shards when I got to the final two crystals. So, I skipped them, got the 1 shard I needed to have 130 crystals, beat the game, loaded up level 6.5 via chapter select to get the last two crystals, and the trophy popped as soon as I grabbed the last crystal. So, for those who are getting to the final two crystals with only 129 and a few shards, I would recommend skipping them so that the shards you get after skipping the last two crystals still count. You can then go back and get the final two crystals via chapter select.

Holy mother of GOD!!! Thank you!!! This worked like a charm. When the trophy didn't pop initially, my stomach sank, but then I looked this up. Thank you!!!!

I had this happen to me today, but unfortunately I didn't read your post until now I chose to collect the last 2 crystals prior to finding the final shard to make 130 and became a victim of the crystal glitch :-(

Sucks to have to delete save file and start over, but I'll know better if I find myself in the same predicament! Thanks for your suggestion!

I had this happen to me today, but unfortunately I didn't read your post until now I chose to collect the last 2 crystals prior to finding the final shard to make 130 and became a victim of the crystal glitch :-(

Sucks to have to delete save file and start over, but I'll know better if I find myself in the same predicament! Thanks for your suggestion!

Sorry to hear that man! Good news is you should be able to make it through the game again faster if you dedicate an afternoon to it.

So does the NG+ enemies drop more shards then? Im asking because I am debating on starting all over or just doing a NG+.

Like Yoka said, there are 164 for NG+. IMO, it would be better just to start a new game and blast through it as fast as you can picking up every crystal and shard you find along the way. If when you get to the last two shards you have less than 130 crystals, skip the last two so that any further shards still count, and you can always use chapter select to go back and get the final two crystals. Just my .02. ;)

So i just got my crystal trophy. A few things I noticed on my play through. First, twice in chapter 2 and 3 times in chapter 5 my fifth shard didn't add to my total crystal count. It did go into my available crystals available for upgrading though. I had to restart the checkpoint to get them to count each time, really annoying. Secondly, in the last chapter my total crystal count started to go up not when I hit 5/5 shards but when I got to 3/5 shards. I am not sure where this happened exactly but it did. I ended up finishing with 165 1/5 for a new game +.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

this is such bs, i have 4/5 at 129 and i can not get the last shard to appear.

i left the the last 2 whole crystals alone, finished the game and then went back via chapter select, but nothing. i've played about an hour now, and not one shard.

i can't believe i have to play through this entire game, again

this is such bs, i have 4/5 at 129 and i can not get the last shard to appear.

i left the the last 2 whole crystals alone, finished the game and then went back via chapter select, but nothing. i've played about an hour now, and not one shard.

i can't believe i have to play through this entire game, again

You don't want to get the last two crystals unless you have 130. If you are sitting at 4/5 shards, you'll want to skip the last two until you get the last shard you need to have 130 crystals. Then complete the game, and go back to get the last two crystals via chapter select.

Good thing is the game is short, and it doesn't take very long to finish again. I would advise you to save your game on a usb once you get to level 6 just in case some BS like that happens again. Then you won't have to play through the whole game again.