Endings I received

Using the last chosen route method (I.E pick a certain level last) I was able to obtain all the endings. The last 3 endings only appear with an A or above rank overall though.

I tested this again (2nd time getting every ending) and I got the desired endings again

So IMO this is how to get the different endings :)

Can you tell which endings corresponded with which route? I played through twice today, the first time getting an A ranking overall (there were a few Bs on individual stages) and fighting the Sun last, then getting an S rank overall and fighting the Fool last. Both times I received the same ending, that of the guy looking back at the building and promising to come back if things go sour. The only difference I can think of is the first run-through I saved G every time and the second time I missed one.

Edit: played again, beat Death last, A rank overall, same ending. Only time I have been able to get a different ending was on my time trial run. Any ideas why I keep getting the same ending?

Edited by Sadistboy

I am also having the same problem as Sadistboy. i try different routes having S and A only, but i always get the same common ending.

Dark_Overlord, can u tell us more details of how you got those endings? did u save G every time? what was the last digit of your score? which was the settings u used (difficulty, number of lives and credits)?

Using the last chosen route method (I.E pick a certain level last) I was able to obtain all the endings. The last 3 endings only appear with an A or above rank overall though.

I tested this again (2nd time getting every ending) and I got the desired endings again

So IMO this is how to get the different endings :)

You might be right. I finally got my secret agent trophy as well as the infamous zombie stealing car ending. This is what I did

Total score - 3 Ss and 2 As for SS ranking total

I let g get hit once. I set it at 3 lives, 9 credits. (only used one credit in total) Had the game on very easy.

Picked the entrance path then picked plant, death guard, and fool monkey.

The only other factor I can think of is that in this play through, I beat my top ranking time by one minute, (from 22.5m to 21)

Hope this helps. Thanks for your advice

Edited by ddp72984
More info

Ok here's what finally worked for me:

1. Beat time trial to get the ending with the mysterious guy talking about true purpose.

2. Choose entrance, fight fool, sun, then death. Save G every time, finish with A rank and get ending where the guy turns into a zombie.

3. Choose entrance, fight death, fool, then sun. Again save G and finish with A rank and get zombie stealing car ending.

4. Oddly enough, when doing my attempt to get SS rank on easy (as opposed to very easy in steps 2 and 3), I chose entrance, fought fool, then sun, the death, saved G every time and got SS rank and ended up getting the "common" ending where the guy promises to return

Hope this helps. I deleted the game when I got 100% rather than doing it all over to retest, so if you follow these to the letter and still get something different, feel free to post it here.

1. Beat time trial to get the ending with the mysterious guy talking about true purpose.

2. Choose entrance, fight fool, sun, then death. Save G every time, finish with A rank and get ending where the guy turns into a zombie.

3. Choose entrance, fight death, fool, then sun. Again save G and finish with A rank and get zombie stealing car ending.

4. Oddly enough, when doing my attempt to get SS rank on easy (as opposed to very easy in steps 2 and 3), I chose entrance, fought fool, then sun, the death, saved G every time and got SS rank and ended up getting the "common" ending where the guy promises to return

Hope this helps. I deleted the game when I got 100% rather than doing it all over to retest, so if you follow these to the letter and still get something different, feel free to post it here.

Wow it actually works!! It actually works!!! just do what Sadistboy said about the endings and i assure you it'll pop up for you as it did for me!! thank you so much!!:dance::dance:

Sorry to be a bummer, but I just met the req. For the zombie Daniel ending, and I only got the return ending...(I.e. Did fool, plant, and death guard, completed all rescues, and got an S rank)

Theres gotta be another factor we're not seeing here. In my last post above, I explained that I got the zombie stealing car ending using sun, death, fool, and even let g get hit once, but I still got the SS rank (picking entrance) Hate to ask, can you be a bit more specific about the following?

-what difficulty?

-setting of lives/continues?

-how many lives/continues lost?

-your final time?

Sorry to be a pain, but I want to wrap this up, so I can focus on HOTD 4 next. Thanks

Edited by ddp72984
Fucking ipad

Sorry to double post, but I found out a lot more information on this subject. First off, I finally got the zombie ending, earning 100%!

I thank of all you whom posted in aiding me in getting this, but in return, I wish to post all my info so that everyone else who needs this can succeed easily.

Ok, in last couple posts, it has been said that we need to

-Use very easy

-take the entrance path

-take the following paths - fool, sun, death

-save G every time.

-get an overall A rank

I tried this at least 2 times with no prevail. I searched the net with no luck on any new info, until I can across this.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=LPcGJaW4QZg

This guy simply played through the game naturally and ended up with the zombie Daniel ending. He even posts to a comment that he has no idea how he achieved it. So, I spend an hour and analyzed what he did exactly. I noticed he:

-chose the parking path, and went sun, fool, death.

-used 5 torches/never used a credit (score's last digit was 0)

-saved g every time

-The total ranking was A rank

So in my last game, I

-put the game on very easy, 9 torches, and free play

-went through the game without losing a credit (was planning to keep losing credits until last score digit was 0, but didn't have to)

-chose parking, then sun, fool, death

-saved g every time

-purposely didn't collect a lot of items/didn't shoot immediately, so I got Good shots vs excellent. ( aimed for the chests versus headshots)

The ending results were b/b/s/a/b/b for a total A ranking @ 144990 points!

Trophy popped!

So, if we compare and contrast, we see that

-yeah, death has to be the final level before the last one

-it doesn't seem to matter if you take entrance or parking

This means that the key factors here seem to be

- last score digit MUST be 0 meaning NO CREDITS used

-it has to be an A ranking (I've tried on S and SS ranking with no luck)

-cannot tell if G being saved affects it (ppl said this about the car theft ending, but I still got it with G failing once i.e. Read my post above)

Sorry to go on and on, but I really want to get to the key factor(s) that decides the endings. So, please, previous posters, compare your results to mine listed here, so we can complete this trophy guide!

Thanks

Edited by ddp72984

I finally got the daniel zombie ending, so thank u all guys for this

i used the same settings as stated by ddp72984 (put the game on very easy, 9 torches, and free play and choose parking, then sun, fool, death and no continue)

I missed saving G one time, so i think this doesn't affect at all

I also get score 153390, B/A/S/S/A/A and a S overall rank, so it doesn´t need to be a A rank either

I pretty sure that i have already beat the game with these settings, but the only difference is that before i got last digit 0 by having 10 continues and now i got a legitimate no continue. so maybe this trick above doesn't work, but this need to be confirmed.

I finally got the daniel zombie ending, so thank u all guys for this

i used the same settings as stated by ddp72984 (put the game on very easy, 9 torches, and free play and choose parking, then sun, fool, death and no continue)

I missed saving G one time, so i think this doesn't affect at all

I also get score 153390, B/A/S/S/A/A and a S overall rank, so it doesn´t need to be a A rank either

I pretty sure that i have already beat the game with these settings, but the only difference is that before i got last digit 0 by having 10 continues and now i got a legitimate no continue. so maybe this trick above doesn't work, but this need to be confirmed.

Awesome, now we are on a roll! So now we are looking at:

-making sure death is final path before wheel of fate.

-making sure score last digit is 0. (no credits used, cannot die 10 times to get 0, as our friend above proved)

Id try it again, but after 20 times trying to get the Daniel ending, I'm retired from HOTD 3 for now. Lol.

Before I go, quick question for the above posters. When you received the zombie stealing car ending:

-what paths do you take?

-how many credits used/final score digit?

-does your differ from my methods posted above ? (4th post on this page)

Thanks guys! Let's knock this out so we can say the ppl of PS3trophies.org solved this 10 year old mystery that no one else could...

Edited by ddp72984

• 1 month later...

actually, this method works for me

but i havent tried the common ending method yet

my first playthrough was so shitty, normal difficulty, max credits and max hp, died a lot of time, only saved the partner twice, bad rank, and i got the zombie-stole-my-car ending

then i did time trial in very easy, max lives and credits, good performances, got an S, and the Mystery Limping Man ending showed up

then i did what mr sadistboy did for the zombie ending, very easy with max hp and credits, failed to save G once, got an A overall rank and Daniel turned into a zombie

edit:

ive replayed the game another 10 times

very easy max credits and HPs, all zombie Daniel ending

whether i rescued G everytime, or i miss them everytime, or sometimes, i always get the zombie ending. even with the SS, i got the zombie ending again

but i noticed that my scores have 2 same numbers.

the SS one is 153230, the second one is 140770 and i got the zombie ending with that score

maybe it is score digit related?

edit 2:

i played another round and finally ive 100% this game

the last game i played i used hard difficulty max credits and hps

used 2 credits and (purposely) got C rank

Edited by cool G

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

The criteria that determines arcade mode (survival mode) endings will probably remain a mystery. I have a lightgun game-related website and naturally I wanted to crack this wide open- I beat this son of a bitch of the XBox repeatedly for days, writing down all viable stats: score, rank, continues used, path taken (although I settled on a simple left-to-right order because I am confident it doesn't factor in.) I NEVER found any consistency in my results. As it stands, I get Goodbye routinely, GTA occasionally, and just once or twice I got Mystery Man (I recall one was an exceptionally great game where I didn't continue and completed all rescues- don't recall the other but I think I continued once.) I never saw the Transformation one ever. Ironically, that was the ending I got the first time I played this on PSN. What the fuck?

However...

I had discovered though that endings seem to be strictly score-based in Time Attack mode. I was able to see all endings on command by scoring certain amounts and that's what I did to earn the Fate trophy (I saw Mystery Man and GTA this way) here several years later. My results are as follows (I haven't pinned down the exact ranges though):

Danny says goodbye: Score less than 130K (not sure about cutoff)

Zombie drives off in SUV: Score between 130K to below 170K (I just earned this ending today with a score of 159K)

Danny turns into zombie: Score between 170K to below 200K

Mystery man: Score at least 200K

Now, it is a little tricky to make sure your score falls within the correct range for the lower endings. You should have broken 100K by the time you hit the final boss and it's easy to go WAY past 200K with your leftover time bonus. You'll want to get the boss down to a sliver of life and let your time get low before delivering the death blow so the bonus will either get you into the appropriate range or keep you in the right one. I think I waited until the time hit 20-something to get the GTA ending today, though your score may vary.

So there, that's my findings (FOR TIME ATTACK MODE ONLY!) I'm putting out there for public scrutiny. If anybody can help confirm the cutoff between endings A and B that'd be nice.

Edited by stickghost

• 7 months later...

I've been having a look at the House of the Dead website and this is what I found about the mystery man ending,

To obtain this ending in the House of the Dead III, you must fight these bosses in the following order after Chapter 1:Sun, Death, and Fool. Your ranks must consist of more S’s and a full partner rescue.

The other endings are probably obtained by just switching the boss order (but still having more S ranks than any other rank and always rescuing your partner)

• 7 months later...

This guide worked perfectly for me. This should be "final" guide for endings

• 1 month later...
The criteria that determines arcade mode (survival mode) endings will probably remain a mystery. I have a lightgun game-related website and naturally I wanted to crack this wide open- I beat this son of a bitch of the XBox repeatedly for days, writing down all viable stats: score, rank, continues used, path taken (although I settled on a simple left-to-right order because I am confident it doesn't factor in.) I NEVER found any consistency in my results. As it stands, I get Goodbye routinely, GTA occasionally, and just once or twice I got Mystery Man (I recall one was an exceptionally great game where I didn't continue and completed all rescues- don't recall the other but I think I continued once.) I never saw the Transformation one ever. Ironically, that was the ending I got the first time I played this on PSN. What the fuck?

However...

I had discovered though that endings seem to be strictly score-based in Time Attack mode. I was able to see all endings on command by scoring certain amounts and that's what I did to earn the Fate trophy (I saw Mystery Man and GTA this way) here several years later. My results are as follows (I haven't pinned down the exact ranges though):

Danny says goodbye: Score less than 130K (not sure about cutoff)

Zombie drives off in SUV: Score between 130K to below 170K (I just earned this ending today with a score of 159K)

Danny turns into zombie: Score between 170K to below 200K

Mystery man: Score at least 200K

Now, it is a little tricky to make sure your score falls within the correct range for the lower endings. You should have broken 100K by the time you hit the final boss and it's easy to go WAY past 200K with your leftover time bonus. You'll want to get the boss down to a sliver of life and let your time get low before delivering the death blow so the bonus will either get you into the appropriate range or keep you in the right one. I think I waited until the time hit 20-something to get the GTA ending today, though your score may vary.

So there, that's my findings (FOR TIME ATTACK MODE ONLY!) I'm putting out there for public scrutiny. If anybody can help confirm the cutoff between endings A and B that'd be nice.

I needed two endings to finish it off, the "Mystery Man" and "Zombie GTA" endings. Despite trying a million different things, I couldn't seem to unlock them - until I read your post. I manipulated my score by getting hit and purposely losing time until it was in the range you suggested. I got both remaining endings on my first attempts.

I am going to suggest that this method be listed in the guide. Cheers.

All right, it's nice to get vindicated. I'm pretty hardcore on these games, so I've had a few marathons where I do everything: play as both characters, take all paths, see all endings. When I get to 3, I always use my numbers to see the ending I want. Therefore I totally think I'm right, but I'm admittedly biased.

If anybody also plays House 4, I posted my theory on its endings in a similiar topic, if anybody cares to confirm them. I mean hey, I got it right before, right, right?

• 2 months later...

Ok for those who are trying to get the zombie ending, I think I found the way. I did the bosses in the order of fool, sun and death (death being the last). I did not use any credit until I reached the very final boss. However, the boss killed me and I used 1 credit. After killing the boss I got the zombie ending. In other words, my theory is, you have to kill death boss the last and you have to make sure not to use any credits until you reach the very last boss. Once you reach him, you can lose credits on the boss. Of course, I don't need to mention the A or S grade now do I? :)

• 1 year later...

Bumping an old thread but I'm gonna have a seizure trying to get the car stealing ending. I've gone through every path (if it matters, I can't beat the game without dying, nor can I save G every time) and in time attack I've gotten 250k (mystery man ending), 153k (common ending) and on my other tries I can't remember the points, somewhere between the two mentioned amounts, and I've gotten mystery man endings and zombie endings.

WHAT.

Oh, and trying to SS rank this is driving me insane. I suck so bad.

Yeah, I do occasionally pop into this topic to see if my theory holds up. Looks like I'm at 1 agree and 1 disagree, so I guess I'll fire up the old XBox (because I have a REAL lightgun... and autofire) and do some more checking. I DID mention I wasn't sure about where the cutoffs lay, so I had to guesstimate them, and this was a LONG time ago (probably 2005.)

So 1 try down: 141K and the Goodbye ending. So I can confirm my previous numbers at least were wrong. I got GTA with 159K, you got Goodbye with 153; is the cutoff somewhere between there? I am however 99.9% certain that Mystery Man is 200K+; that was only thing everybody agreed on back when I first researched it in 2005.

I'll chuck some more numbers and results out here, so feel free to jump in.

Man, I am getting some interesting results, but consistent nonetheless and I am dialing it in. I'll post 'em when I get some more, but I did get GTA 3 times in a row by killing the final boss with 20-40 seconds left. Specifically at 25 seconds, 35 seconds, and... like 37 or so (I wanted to try 45 seconds, but I wasn't paying attention and missed my cue- oh well I would have had to redo a time to doublecheck anyway.) Granted I am cheating my ass off with an autofire gun (but the PS3 has the fire-multiple-shots-at-once cheat) so it might vary based on your current score but with adjusting difficulty the scores probably even out (if you kill enemies absurdly fast, they attack absurdly fast and take absurd damage to kill, so you end up getting hit a lot more.) So yeah, if you still get Goodbye, try giving yourself more of a time bonus.

I managed to get the GTA ending twice in survival - one S rank run (died once, saved all Gs, entrance-Fool-Death-Sun path) and another S rank run (died once, saved all but one G, same path). Not the only times I used that path but the only times I got the ending.

Oh well. Got it. Only the SS rank left... :'( [seriously, 90% of my chapter 0 practice runs give me a S, and 90% of my full runs give me a B on chapter 0.]

Okay, this is what I'd call pretty definitive research. I own all the HOTD's and have marathoned them several times, so when I got to this game I'd bust out my notes and use them to see the endings I wanted, so I thought I had it all figured out. Turns out... well, technically I didn't. But although I was wrong about HOW it worked, my method itself was rock solid. So here are my results: for shorthand the endings are A (Daniel says goodbye); B (Zombie drives off); C (Daniel becomes a zombie); and D (Mystery man.) You've read my post on the method for context? Good, then here are my stats, with score and rank included just for points:

#1: Killed the final boss below 20 seconds. Ending A, 141K, didn't think to note rank.

#2: Killed final boss at 25s. Ending B, 148K, didn't think to note overall rank yet either but I did think to note I had no "S"'s.

#3: 35s. Ending B, 162K, C rank.

#4: 35s (again- d'oh!) Ending B, 160K, B rank.

#5: 45s. Ending B, 167K, C rank.

#6: 55s (well actually 57/8- the boss was about to attack so I couldn't wait.) Ending C, 184K, C rank.

#7: 65s. Ending C, 185K, C rank.

#8: 75s (actually almost 80- the boss forced my hand.) Ending C, 201K, C rank.

At this point, I started having PTSD flashbacks to 2005 and figured enough was enough. Yeah I didn't do an ending D run, but obviously you are just going to kill him ASAP. What was important is that I can establish how to engineer the ending I want.

Conclusion 1: All runs used the exact same path (Parking, then all stages left-to-right.) Therefore, THE PATH YOU TAKE HAS NO BEARING ON THE ENDING. CONFIRMED. STOP SPECULATING. Although I didn't bother getting Ending D this time, I know I've gotten it before and I never mix up the stage orders.

Conclusion 2: My performance was pretty consistent. Having autofire pretty much takes skill out of the equation, leaving only minor differences in getting hit or missing clocks as a variable- on that note, I did get into the secret room on an early run, so on subsequent ones I made sure to fail at least one rescue to keep things even. With adjusting difficulty, I probably got hit about the same amount, just at different times. My chapter ranks were very similiar, and quite unimpressive at that- having autofire pretty much means shitty accuracy. On all but the last run I had 1 S rank on the Bio Lab and the rest at most B- I seemed to always get B on stages 1 and 2, D on 3, and S on 4 at least. Probably because the boss of Bio Lab is a massive bullet sponge that pads your accuracy stats, on the last run I decided to hold down the trigger and fire nonstop the entire level, tanking my accuracy and thus ending up with an A instead... and then I got another A the next chapter (adjusting difficulty in action!). Therefore I sincerely doubt that rank itself has a bearing, rather it is a logical side effect of doing well enough.

Conclusion 3: The numbers I pulled did correspond pretty nicely to the ranges I specified. I got Ending A a little above what I deduced before. My B's started later than I thought, but stopped where I thought they would. My C's went juuuuust past my expected threshold. But... Samis said he got Ending A with a score of 153K, which stands in direct contradiction. My results are nice and clean, but trusting his statement (and the fact that some of these cutoff points are really weird), I may have to conclude that score isn't the deciding factor either, although it's pretty closely linked.

The method is simple: play Time Attack and kill the final boss when the time falls within range (you don't need to protect yourself- getting hit just speeds up the process, and you may have to wait a LONG time anyway- my average surplus is over 200 seconds and my best is over 400. Just make sure the penalty doesn't put you under.) For A (if you actually need to work for it), 20 seconds and below. For ending B, aim between 20-40 seconds. For C, aim between 50-80 (perhaps even more) seconds. For D, just kill the fucker ASAP. The numbers might need to be tweaked depending on your current score being significantly less or more than mine but I think it's a pretty close.

The theory is complicated. I postulate that the ending you get is simply based on how well you do. Vague I know, but the game does not seem to specifically go by score, rank, or continues. It seems to just use some kind of unseen algorithm to calculate how well you're doing. If I had to guess, I'd say it's based on how well you just plain deal with what the game throws at you (conservation/loss of life or time depending on mode.) This actually would make sense.

Ending A is rewarded for a mediocre run. Empirically it's the most often-seen ending I got and it's clearly the most common ending for everyone else. Skill is rank average to garbage- you know, casual players.

Ending B is for a better-than-average run. Empirically it's the second most-seen ending for me and it's also a really common ending that people generally don't have problems getting. It's not a huge jump from A- lightgun enthusiasts.

Ending C is for a GOOD run. Empirically it's my least-seen ending (between releases, I've only seen this ending in survival mode ONCE) and it's usually the one people can't seem to get. The reason being is that you really have to do pretty damn well to see it, but not TOO well or you get ending D. A much bigger jump from than A to B- hardcore gamers.

Ending D is for a just plain goddamned AWESOME run. In theory, this is the hardest ending to get, but there are some dirty tricks you can use to utterly break the game (autofire and simultaneous button presses) and score absurdly high, so actually it's an easy one to get. I earned this in survival mode legit at least once and it was a glorious single-credit partner-saving bonus room run (you never forget your first time.) THIS SHIT IS FOR THE GODDAMN PROS. Or cheaters.

So yeah, obviously my easy method is strictly for Time Attack, but as for the WHY, I can't imagine the game would use a different criteria for choosing endings by mode. It's just that it's a lot easier to quantify skill in TA. If you have a ton of time left over at the end, the game probably just assumes you did well for yourself. The scoring is undoubtedly totally different, as your remaining time bonus can earn you SEVERAL times your base score. It's been a while since I played survival mode; I don't even recall if it's even POSSIBLE to score 200K there.

• 2 years later...
Okay, this is what I'd call pretty definitive research. I own all the HOTD's and have marathoned them several times, so when I got to this game I'd bust out my notes and use them to see the endings I wanted, so I thought I had it all figured out. Turns out... well, technically I didn't. But although I was wrong about HOW it worked, my method itself was rock solid. So here are my results: for shorthand the endings are A (Daniel says goodbye); B (Zombie drives off); C (Daniel becomes a zombie); and D (Mystery man.) You've read my post on the method for context? Good, then here are my stats, with score and rank included just for points:

#1: Killed the final boss below 20 seconds. Ending A, 141K, didn't think to note rank.

#2: Killed final boss at 25s. Ending B, 148K, didn't think to note overall rank yet either but I did think to note I had no "S"'s.

#3: 35s. Ending B, 162K, C rank.

#4: 35s (again- d'oh!) Ending B, 160K, B rank.

#5: 45s. Ending B, 167K, C rank.

#6: 55s (well actually 57/8- the boss was about to attack so I couldn't wait.) Ending C, 184K, C rank.

#7: 65s. Ending C, 185K, C rank.

#8: 75s (actually almost 80- the boss forced my hand.) Ending C, 201K, C rank.

At this point, I started having PTSD flashbacks to 2005 and figured enough was enough. Yeah I didn't do an ending D run, but obviously you are just going to kill him ASAP. What was important is that I can establish how to engineer the ending I want.

Conclusion 1: All runs used the exact same path (Parking, then all stages left-to-right.) Therefore, THE PATH YOU TAKE HAS NO BEARING ON THE ENDING. CONFIRMED. STOP SPECULATING. Although I didn't bother getting Ending D this time, I know I've gotten it before and I never mix up the stage orders.

Conclusion 2: My performance was pretty consistent. Having autofire pretty much takes skill out of the equation, leaving only minor differences in getting hit or missing clocks as a variable- on that note, I did get into the secret room on an early run, so on subsequent ones I made sure to fail at least one rescue to keep things even. With adjusting difficulty, I probably got hit about the same amount, just at different times. My chapter ranks were very similiar, and quite unimpressive at that- having autofire pretty much means shitty accuracy. On all but the last run I had 1 S rank on the Bio Lab and the rest at most B- I seemed to always get B on stages 1 and 2, D on 3, and S on 4 at least. Probably because the boss of Bio Lab is a massive bullet sponge that pads your accuracy stats, on the last run I decided to hold down the trigger and fire nonstop the entire level, tanking my accuracy and thus ending up with an A instead... and then I got another A the next chapter (adjusting difficulty in action!). Therefore I sincerely doubt that rank itself has a bearing, rather it is a logical side effect of doing well enough.

Conclusion 3: The numbers I pulled did correspond pretty nicely to the ranges I specified. I got Ending A a little above what I deduced before. My B's started later than I thought, but stopped where I thought they would. My C's went juuuuust past my expected threshold. But... Samis said he got Ending A with a score of 153K, which stands in direct contradiction. My results are nice and clean, but trusting his statement (and the fact that some of these cutoff points are really weird), I may have to conclude that score isn't the deciding factor either, although it's pretty closely linked.

The method is simple: play Time Attack and kill the final boss when the time falls within range (you don't need to protect yourself- getting hit just speeds up the process, and you may have to wait a LONG time anyway- my average surplus is over 200 seconds and my best is over 400. Just make sure the penalty doesn't put you under.) For A (if you actually need to work for it), 20 seconds and below. For ending B, aim between 20-40 seconds. For C, aim between 50-80 (perhaps even more) seconds. For D, just kill the fucker ASAP. The numbers might need to be tweaked depending on your current score being significantly less or more than mine but I think it's a pretty close.

The theory is complicated. I postulate that the ending you get is simply based on how well you do. Vague I know, but the game does not seem to specifically go by score, rank, or continues. It seems to just use some kind of unseen algorithm to calculate how well you're doing. If I had to guess, I'd say it's based on how well you just plain deal with what the game throws at you (conservation/loss of life or time depending on mode.) This actually would make sense.

Ending A is rewarded for a mediocre run. Empirically it's the most often-seen ending I got and it's clearly the most common ending for everyone else. Skill is rank average to garbage- you know, casual players.

Ending B is for a better-than-average run. Empirically it's the second most-seen ending for me and it's also a really common ending that people generally don't have problems getting. It's not a huge jump from A- lightgun enthusiasts.

Ending C is for a GOOD run. Empirically it's my least-seen ending (between releases, I've only seen this ending in survival mode ONCE) and it's usually the one people can't seem to get. The reason being is that you really have to do pretty damn well to see it, but not TOO well or you get ending D. A much bigger jump from than A to B- hardcore gamers.

Ending D is for a just plain goddamned AWESOME run. In theory, this is the hardest ending to get, but there are some dirty tricks you can use to utterly break the game (autofire and simultaneous button presses) and score absurdly high, so actually it's an easy one to get. I earned this in survival mode legit at least once and it was a glorious single-credit partner-saving bonus room run (you never forget your first time.) THIS SHIT IS FOR THE GODDAMN PROS. Or cheaters.

So yeah, obviously my easy method is strictly for Time Attack, but as for the WHY, I can't imagine the game would use a different criteria for choosing endings by mode. It's just that it's a lot easier to quantify skill in TA. If you have a ton of time left over at the end, the game probably just assumes you did well for yourself. The scoring is undoubtedly totally different, as your remaining time bonus can earn you SEVERAL times your base score. It's been a while since I played survival mode; I don't even recall if it's even POSSIBLE to score 200K there.

This is the best method for getting all endings and the only method that worked for me thank you. I must have played survival 50 times trying to get endings B and C but nothing i tried worked even getting SS and beating the game on very hard. Using this method i got endings B and C at the first attempts! Ending B i scored 182k with about 45s left and ending C 220k with 79s left. First attempts!!! :francis: