my gift to you -- boost wins for Expert of War in hours, not days / weeks

dreadnaught_

As I finished up my Homefront platinum (I boosted using a second PS3, mostly, in the DLC rooms), like many of you out there, I found my last task to getting the prerequiste number of wins.

Given the frequency of BC games in the DLC rooms, I had left 60-odd TDM wins and near 80 GC wins.

I discovered totally by accident that Homefront grants you a win if the other team quits. A player boosting with a second PS3, or two players boosting with good communication can wrap up wins in hours, vs. days or weeks of legitimate play.

Step 1:

Player 1 ("Winner") and Player 2 ("Loser) friend each other on PSN and both search for a DLC room simultaneously. Hopefully, you will both land in a room together, with no other players, on opposite sides. I found this to happen most of the time.

- Note: Alternatively, you could "party up" and search for a DLC room. I have found that to work, but sometimes, matchmaking will pair you up against another player or another party. Most of the time though, there are no more than 2 DLC rooms going at any time, and 1 most of the time.

Step 2:

Once both players have spawned, "Loser" leaves the match. The match ends, "Winner" is credited with a win and goes back to a DLC room lobby (queued up for the next map in the rotation) where he is instructed to wait for an additional player, and "Loser" goes to the general lobby.

Step 3:

"Loser" joins "Winner" via the Friends menu in the multiplayer lobby. A loading screen (for the previous map) comes up, and once that is through, you find yourself in the lobby together. You can easily veto maps at this stage to target game types in the rotation that you need.

The DLC Rotation (same always):

1) Bridge (BC - GC)

2) Spillway (BC GC)

3) Bridge (plain vanilla GC)

4) Big Box (plain vanilla TDM)

5) Overpass (BC - TDM)

6) Bridge (plain vanilla TDM)

7) Alcatraz (BC - TDM)

8) Waterway (plain vanilla TDM)

9) Big Box (BC - TDM)

10) Alcatraz (plain vanilla TDM)

11) Waterway (BC - TDM)

12) Overpass (plain vanilla TDM)

13) Bridge (BC - TDM)

So, 1 plain vanilla GC, 5 plain vanilla TDM, and 7 BC games per full rotation.

HINTS:

1) If you're like me, you'll end up just needing GC wins only. At this juncture, you'll want to utilize only the first three maps in the rotation. To do this, after your GC win, the "Winner" should "leave" after being returned to the DLC lobby (waiting for another player). At this point, both "Winner" and "Loser" should search for a DLC game simultaneously. One of two things will happen:

- You will both end up in the first map in the rotation (Bridge [bC - GC]) ... good, that is what you want. Continue as before, rinse and repeat.

- You both end up in Big Box (plain vanilla TDM) ... bad. If this happens -- only happened to me once or twice -- it means you have gotten "stuck" in the queue. I don't know why it happens, but instead of the rotation starting over, it picks you up where you were. I think it may happen if there is another DLC room somewhere out there in Homefront cyberspace ... I don't know. Anyway, what you do is just try to join a non-DLC room (like Skirmish), quite once you spawn, and try again. 9/10 times that worked for me, and if it didn't, I just quit for the night and tried again the next day with success.

2) Dealing with other players -- even though the DLC rooms are largely empty, you occasionally run across other players. You cannot do this method with a third person who is not complicit, and a third person joining will sometimes screw up the teams (i.e., put you both on the same side). So, what to do:

- First, try sending them a note. Tell them you're boosting and suggest they play in the non-DLC rooms, where there is an active, non-boost community. Most people will just leave because they want to play a competitive game.

- But, there are stubborn assholes out there who will ignore you and just try to screw up your boost. Luckily, if there is just one of them and two of you, you can dominate them. If you've asked nicely and they still won't leave, just both quit, leaving him alone, ending the match. Then go back to "Step 1" above. If they keep joining, just keep ending the match. They will leave eventually.

- If there are more than one other player trying to join, then it gets dicey. If, from the start, you find yourself joining games in progress, or if you find that somebody has joined the stubborn asshole and is playing a competitive game with them in the DLC room, you may just have to come back to it later. I found that late evenings (after 10 p.m. Eastern) were the best for boosting.

3) About Skirmish ... there is marginally higher frequency of plain vanilla GC in Skirmish mode (2 out of 10 matches in the rotation). I attempted to boost wins in Skirmish during this method, but I had people joining too frequently to have any sustained luck. It was an exercise in frustration; I'd recommend attempting in DLC rooms only.

Hope this helps and is understandable. This method takes some effort / planning / thought and either a second PS3 or a good partner, but it works. I'm not on the forums here that often, but I will check in from time to time to see if anybody has questions.

Edited by dreadnaught_

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Great idea but I would rather boost games with a group of friends.

Well, the problem with that is it is really time-consuming. And, unless you have a large number of boosters, randoms joining can really ruin things, as far as wins are concerned. And, even assuming you had enough boosters for a full match, a realy PITA to organize and administrate them efficiently.

It doesn't take honestly all that long to get everything EXCEPT the wins. And as I stated above, the skewed playlist rotations toward BC and away from plain-vanilla GC and TDM leaves you with huge deficits in those categories. So you'd have to play a really long time to do boosting, or purely legit.

This is all a purely academic debate now though that the servers have been shut down. I hope somebody was able to profit by this technique -- wish I discovered it earlier so it could help more folks.

Edited by dreadnaught_

Well, the problem with that is it is really time-consuming. And, unless you have a large number of boosters, randoms joining can really ruin things, as far as wins are concerned. And, even assuming you had enough boosters for a full match, a realy PITA to organize and administrate them efficiently.

It doesn't take honestly all that long to get everything EXCEPT the wins. And as I stated above, the skewed playlist rotations toward BC and away from plain-vanilla GC and TDM leaves you with huge deficits in those categories. So you'd have to play a really long time to do boosting, or purely legit.

This is all a purely academic debate now though that the servers have been shut down. I hope somebody was able to profit by this technique -- wish I discovered it earlier so it could help more folks.

Wish I had of returned to finish this earlier, I was only 360 kills total from the expert of war trophy...... No chance I ever purchase a THQ product again

Wish I had of returned to finish this earlier, I was only 360 kills total from the expert of war trophy...... No chance I ever purchase a THQ product again

Especially because THQ doesn't exist anymore!

I hear you though. This was -- bar none -- the most ridiculous online trophy I've ever encountered.

I got the game in 2/12 but shelved because of the ranking glitch. Couldn't get the workaround to work at first. Then, came back to it in late 11/12(clearing my backlog), and the workaround was effective. Not sure why it didn't work first time around -- was not user error. Finished the SP pretty quickly and then started the online boosting, which I did all by myself in DLC rooms (2 PS3s, two copies of games). It took a solid month give or take ... but at least its done.