Is it me or is this game almost unplayable?

Doomguy99

Mission 1: Tank drives in - freeze

Mission 2: Connor kicks down black guy - freeze

Searching for multipalyer match - freeze

Leaving lobby - freeze

And there's also that awful rank reset bug. The patches didn't seem to do anything.

How did they ever let this garbage hit the market?

This game does have lots of freezes. When I started, it had a couple of them in the first chapter, then all of a sudden not one freeze until I finished the singleplayer. Then when I'm trying another playthrough to get the Iron Man trophies, freezes here and there screwing my game where it became too frustrating to get the Iron Man.

Double check if your Homefront game data is about 6 gigs large, if not there is a possibility you keep getting a message upon booting the game that says something vague. Now, this may look stupid but a game normally doesn't boot up without a warning from the PS3 itself that tells you you need to install game files and you might not have enough room on your HDD. You take it for granted and click away this message as if it's part of booting up the game because the PS3 itself doesn't prompt you with this message. Homefront probably is the only game that allows you to run without game data being present on the HDD while infact it SHOULD be installed for optimum experience.

I found it strange this game was freezing so much and as I don't visit the THQ forums I didn't know of any issues and looked for a solution myself. So when I decided to do so that message popped up in the back of my head and I wondered, hmm what if I make room. And sure enough, upon the next booting of Homefront it would install game files and in the process it got rid of the freezing for me in the story mode.

The multi player game lobby was another story however but that was fixed with a patch I recall.

Note: it has been a while since I last played Homefront so I may not be up to date with present patches.

I'm not sure if this information helps any of you but I hope you will find it useful and to the least take it into consideration. Homefront is a fun game and I wish you the same fun I had with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't played the game but I have played the mutiplayer beta and that was absolute s***e. It wouldn't allow me to play until I accessed the options menu, I had already picked my weapon and when I got into the lobby it spent about 15 minutes trying to find a game then crashed. I went into it two more times; both of which crashed as soon as I got in the lobby.

I eventually said "f*** this shit!" and deleted the beta. It wasn't my internet connection because my connection was fine. It didn't drop, it was at 4/5 stars.

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't played the game but I have played the mutiplayer beta and that was absolute s***e. It wouldn't allow me to play until I accessed the options menu, I had already picked my weapon and when I got into the lobby it spent about 15 minutes trying to find a game then crashed. I went into it two more times; both of which crashed as soon as I got in the lobby.

I eventually said "f*** this shit!" and deleted the beta. It wasn't my internet connection because my connection was fine. It didn't drop, it was at 4/5 stars.

The part where you said you played the Beta for it is where I think you had issues... A lot of people complain about finding an online game with the disc version with latest patches - let alone on a Beta... I can't imagine there we're many (if ANY) people playing the Beta.

As for the freezing - I've played through the game 2 & 1/2 times and had a total of 2 freezes... Fallout 3 froze (and still freezes to this day) more often over a shorter period of time for me...

As for multiplayer issues - I've experienced: none... Occasional lag (understandable), but that's it really...

It would seem these issues are inherently random... try the game data save thing mentioned a few posts up - makes sense that it would work and quite likely fix the issue caused for most people here.

The part where you said you played the Beta for it is where I think you had issues... A lot of people complain about finding an online game with the disc version with latest patches - let alone on a Beta... I can't imagine there we're many (if ANY) people playing the Beta.

As for the freezing - I've played through the game 2 & 1/2 times and had a total of 2 freezes... Fallout 3 froze (and still freezes to this day) more often over a shorter period of time for me...

As for multiplayer issues - I've experienced: none... Occasional lag (understandable), but that's it really...

It would seem these issues are inherently random... try the game data save thing mentioned a few posts up - makes sense that it would work and quite likely fix the issue caused for most people here.

You must have gotten the game fairly recently. Quite a few weeks back it was very common to get into an empty room and never have anyone join. No matter how many times or what game mode you chose it'd throw you into an empty game. Even if you just recently left a game that had quite a few slots left. There was quite fair amount of lag also. They did a bit of server maintenance not too long ago that seemed to smooth out the online issues. The only issue left is if a veto gets passed and the map gets switched to Lowlands, the server will have an issue in which it will just continuously say auto balancing and starting game in 0 but will never actually start.

You must have gotten the game fairly recently. Quite a few weeks back it was very common to get into an empty room and never have anyone join. No matter how many times or what game mode you chose it'd throw you into an empty game. Even if you just recently left a game that had quite a few slots left. There was quite fair amount of lag also. They did a bit of server maintenance not too long ago that seemed to smooth out the online issues. The only issue left is if a veto gets passed and the map gets switched to Lowlands, the server will have an issue in which it will just continuously say auto balancing and starting game in 0 but will never actually start.

Sort of recent purchase - yeah...

I actually can say, I have gotten an empty room a few times before, but I'm patient and will usually wait a few minutes... It's funny how I see the same 6 names join, see it only has one player (me), leave, come back in again, see one player and leave again... I've even used my mic to say "hey wait, you and 5 other people are cycling through and leaving, if you wait a minute, they'll cycle through again and we'll have enough to start a game" - I get people who have thanked me for telling them to wait...

Not just this game - but I get this on all sorts of shooters...

Because of my explanation above - I didn't see this as a problem with the game - but with the people actually playing it being impatient - I have occasionally had to wait a few minutes for any players to come into a game at all, but it doesn't bother me.

I have yet to be in a situation where a map get's veto'ed at all, so I haven't experienced the "veto-to-lowlands-hang"... I can imagine that would frustrate me, but, leaving, re-entering multiplayer isn't that hard to do.

Luckily the empty room thing doesn't happen near as much before, that was a server problem. I'd leave a healthy server just to get thrown into the same empty lobby 10ish times in a row before it finally switched maps(still empty), the game was as popular now as it was then so it wasn't a playerbase issue. The thing is no one would ever join regardless of how patient you were, you'd sit in the lobby forever if you waited. Luckily they sorted that out, cause that was something that could have killed the multiplayer population.

You don't need to be in the server when it's veto'd for the hand, you'll know when you get into one cause it'll say veto passed, but the game will never start. I haven't seen one in awhile but when there's one up they keep throwing you in it around 5 or more times or so until you hit a real game. It does get annoying but not game breaking luckily. As soon as they sort that out, the game is golden.

Luckily the empty room thing doesn't happen near as much before, that was a server problem. I'd leave a healthy server just to get thrown into the same empty lobby 10ish times in a row before it finally switched maps(still empty), the game was as popular now as it was then so it wasn't a playerbase issue. The thing is no one would ever join regardless of how patient you were, you'd sit in the lobby forever if you waited. Luckily they sorted that out, cause that was something that could have killed the multiplayer population.

You don't need to be in the server when it's veto'd for the hand, you'll know when you get into one cause it'll say veto passed, but the game will never start. I haven't seen one in awhile but when there's one up they keep throwing you in it around 5 or more times or so until you hit a real game. It does get annoying but not game breaking luckily. As soon as they sort that out, the game is golden.

Fair enough - I suppose my timing was right then :D

I'm sure in my quest for Expert of War I'll come accross the veto Hang issue.

I agree with your last little bit (excpet i've yet to experience any game breaking issues) - the game is golden. I don't really care that much for shooters, but got bought this as a gift, dismissed it briefly then got into it - very surprised, a nice welcome change from other shooters. The Multiplayer is fantastic and not just for the trophies, it would be enjoyable without them - I like the simplicity of the modes in that there isn't 20 to choose from and theres only 5 people playing anything other than deathmatch.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but i was thinking...

Does anybody know if the glitches and freezes have been fixed on the new ultimate edition? Because i really enjoyed this game, but after it froze on me for 60+ times in less then a week (!); i decided to take it back to the store and trade it in for another game.

Or are there any other tips about this? I also tried playing it pre-patch, but that didn't work either -_-'