Hohokquick Tips by Area

Seibei4211

General Info - Alternating between L1 and R1 makes you go very fast. This is helpful for covering large distances. I recommend turning Auto-Zoom off and frequently using Right Stick to zoom out so you can see what you're doing. In particular, this is helpful for the color dot level. It's just nice in general though so you can go much faster and not bump into things.

When I was doing my run, I had my own timer going. You're gonna wanna average about 4 minutes per snake. That's including the cutscenes and load times though. If you can do that, you're set, because some of the snakes are so quick and easy to do that you'll create a huge buffer near the end.

Every time you save a snake, you have to watch the little cutscene. I'm pretty sure the clock's still ticking during this, so that's a pain. When the cutscene's almost done, just tap X until it goes away. You usually won't be able to control yourself for a few seconds because you're stuck doing some movement with the freed snake.

Whenever you beat a level, with two exceptions, you're going to want to go back to the Nut Forest since that's where you need to be to start each new path.

Before you do your speedrun, I'd recommend going into each level (maybe making a map while you do) and practicing some of the more involved or tricky levels. You just need to learn what actually needs to be done in each level and what's just optional stuff you can ignore. That's mostly what I'm trying to clarify. I'll list each area in the order that I did them.

Intro - When you start the game, the first thing you need to do is get all 15 snakes to follow you, then bring them to the middle of the large area with all of the medium/small circles around one big circle. There's one in the main path, then shortly after there should be three in a large alcove on the right. Hit the circle in the middle to get them to follow you. Keep going, ignoring the side paths, until you get to the large area. Pick up all of the snakes around the medium circles in this room, then head to the top and touch that middle circle to get the rest of the snakes. Head back down and near the middle circle, and the game should force a little cutscene. Activate all of the dark circles that appear, and you'll be able to hold Square until the countdown is done, watch the cutscene, and leave to the north.

Farm - Ok, I'm still not 100% certain how this works. I suspect that you need to turn the area blue (purple might work?) by using the glowing vegetables in the area. There's usually one eggplant-type vegetable just visible in the area, but you can grow vines on the A shaped sticks and that'll usually spawn some chili pepper-type vegetables. What I ended up doing was I got two of these on-screen at the same time and just touched both one after the other. Once you do get a blue type color, the green snake will be posing as a stalk of wheat around the middle of the level. He's on the bottom row of two rows of wheat.

Roller Coaster - I do the farm and this one first because they're both kind of tricky and luck based. This one in particular is one of the more involved snakes. You need to do five things:

- Get a pink guy with a staff, a pink person with a yellow forked head, a girl with a big blue dress, and a tall pink girl that doesn't have a heart-shaped head. Deposit them all on the respective pedestals to the right of the roller coaster. All of these people should be kind of near the roller coaster.

- To the right of that, there should be a large statue where you can light 5 or 6 fires. Easiest one.

- You're gonna need 2 tall blue girls with a red head, 2 short and fat yellow guys, and 2 pink pigtail girls. They go into the roller coaster near the top right corner of the area.

- Once you drop them off, head up and to the left of that and light all the lights. I did this before I even picked up the previous piece to save time. If you did that, too, go back and pick up that piece, then...

- On the way back, pick up some people and drop them off on each seat of the ferris wheel. Once you can start spinning it, just do a fairly small circle around the ferris wheel until the last piece if thrown off.

Once the snake's freed, go back through the same portal you used to get there and go through to the Color Dots area.

Color Dots - This is where being zoomed out is the most helpful. You have to help the guy on the middle west-ish side of the area get 4 sets of 4 colors. The colors are the same each time and the locations of the colors are the same. Here's the colors and a compass direction where each color can be found:

- Brown W, Yellow W, Orange NW, Pink SW

- Blue NW, Orange N, Pink SW, Purple W

- Brown W, Yellow W, Pink SW, Purple W

- Blue NW, Orange N, Red NE, Dark Blue NE

The portal to the next area is right under the portal you used to get to this area. It's black with orange dots. Every other portal is meaningless. This portal is worth talking about though, because when you touch one of the orange dots, Long Mover gets confused and you can't control him. This makes getting into the portal really frustrating. I ended up using the touch pad to "draw" him into the portal. If you're on PS3, then I don't know how that works or if you can even do that. It's still possible to get into the portal without that, but it's tough.

Grid Paper - This level is comprised of several little tasks. Your main goal is usually to fill the paper up with color, except for two tasks. The exit to the next area is always on the bottom right corner. When you've completed a task, you'll hear a sound and the bottom right corner will be a different color. You usually have to bump into it once to open it, then you can go through. Holding X in this level makes you AND everything else in the level go faster, so sometimes it's better to not hold X.

- Just hold X and color in the page as faster as you can. If you hold X and bump into a wall, all of the color will fall off though, so just stick to the middle area.

- Use your body and other colors to create squares/rectangles. Bumping into the wall resets this if you're holding X.

- Just use your body to "cut" the colors until you're good to go.

- Don't hold X in this one. You wanna just use your body to cut the color in half over and over until no color is left.

- Your body will create colors that disappear after a while. I believe your main objective is still to cover as much of the page with color though. Might be better to not hold X and just aim for as much white paper as you can and just cover it up.

- Just touch all the color streams that appear.

- Every time you turn, a large blue diamond grows, so just run around and turn a bunch.

- Making squares again, but now you're trying to get rid of color until you find the snake. Then you can leave and go back to the Nut Forest.

Wedding - Start by picking a bride, putting her next to the groom at the top, and hitting the bell. In the next part, pick up the three waiters, deliver their drinks, dive into the ocean for a few seconds to refill their drinks, deliver, etc. You need to deliver drinks to the three rows of people underneath the bride/groom. You'll have to refill drinks at least twice. Once the next part starts, just go straight to the boat on the right and get fireworks to go off near the bow of the ship to reveal the snake. Head through the northeast portal.

Edited by Seibei4211

Kite Festival - This one is quicker than you'd think. You just need to grab 8 people and 8 kites then put them on the hills. Just touch a bunch of the spirals that cause people to come out of their house. It takes a few seconds before people actually jump on you, so don't wait for them. Just get them out of their house, then pick them up. There's 8 people right in the area you start in. Here are the kites though:

- There are 2 kites just hanging out in the area with all the houses.

- There's a bird harassing a fellow on the right side of these houses. Just push the bird until it gets eaten for a kite.

- A little south of the houses is the big yellow house with a lot of plants you can bloom. There's a kite hanging from that.

- Go straight south from that, and there's a kite kind of hidden in the forest on the left.

- Right next to that is a kite you can see, but you need to come up from the bottom and avoid the purple plants.

- A little south of that is another kite just hanging out.

- North of that is a statue with the kite in its mouth. Try to get it, then position your last kite guy above the statue's right ear so he catches it.

Then just head to the top of the area and drop them all off on their hills. Once every kite is unfurled, you'll get the snake and come move on. The portal is in the southeast area near the statue that had the kite.

Pool - When you enter this area, just head southeast until you're under the pool. Go between the two rocks from right to left to go to a different version of the area. You want to get the 9 clouds of smoke and bring them to the creature. You should be able to get all 9 and bring them to him all at once. This one's worth practicing beforehand. Learning the locations saves a lot of time. Once he's up and on your back, head back through the rocks, deposit him in the pool (make sure he doesn't hop back on for whatever reason), head through the rocks again, head up and down into the bottom of the pool. Once you've got that snake, head back through the rocks then go kind of northeast from there to get to the next portal.

Dark Cave - In this area, you need to pick up the guy with the light and while his light is on, you need to activate 4 hidden purple stones to be able to break the large purple stone and go to the next area. There is one set you're able to ignore after you break the first set, so do ignore it. There are bats in this cave that turn your light off if they touch you, which means you can't light purple stones until it turns back on. That's a problem because you have a time limit to hit the four stones. I'd recommend just learning the locations of the stones. There should be 4 sets you have to hit, and only the last one has bats around it. When you get to the fourth set, ignore it for a second and go straight through to the left and at the end of the cave, there's a gold snake statue you can break. When he's free, go back and try to hit the purple stones from left to right. It's a little easier to dodge the bats that way if you know exactly where the stones are. Two are in the top left, one is about middle, and the other is at the bottom of the hole near the exit on the right.

Monkey Jungle - Head straight to the bottom middle of the level. When you can see the little peanut tree, touch the dandelion-type seed pods and let them attract to you. Don't hold X for this because they can't keep up, but bring them to the peanut tree. If you can get two full sets of those seeds to follow you to the tree, that should do it. Once the peanut tree is done, bring a monkey to it so he grabs an armful of peanuts, then bring him to the top right cliff until a little scene happens. Then you just need to get close enough to the yellow beast so the monkey starts throwing peanuts at him and just maintain position and dodge the purple bullets until you finally beat it. I held Circle during this part and just did little circles until I actually needed to start dodging during the final phase. Head through the portal near the southeast corner of the area.

Bamboo Forest - R1/L1 straight to the center of the forest to the people will the masks. There are 7 sets of people here. You have to make it so that each person has the same mask within that set. All you have to do is move in the right direction across the set of people and that'll set their masks right. There's four sets on the left side and three sets on the right side. So from the top of the left side going down do this:

Left to right

Right to left

Left to right

Right to left.

From the right side going down do this:

Left to right

Left to right

Right to left

When they're all set, hit the little antenna at the top of the left side hut. A creature will pop out and everyone should start dancing. Then just go to the right side and bump into the person with the mismatching mask three times. Head into the portal in the bottom middle of the two huts.

Edited by Seibei4211

Strings/Music - This one's a freebie. Just go down the narrow path (touching the walls to gain speed), head to the right side of the area, and go down the bottom of the two narrows paths. There's the snake for free without having to do anything special. Then just go through the top of the two narrow paths to leave.

Stars - Another freebie. At the start of the area, just head straight up to the stars. Gather some stardust and bring it to the (hard for me to see on this TV) snake outline in that area. Rush all the way to the right and to the next portal.

Vases - We're not gonna get this one just yet since we have to come back. Just use R1/L1 to rush through and break all the vases as fast as you can. Once you get the scene of the bird guy sighing, head to the bottom left and through that portal.

Factory - Start by picking up the three collectors and drop them off at the vat. Once they're done, head down into the center pipe. You'll open three hatches with 4 flies in each. When you emerge from that container, just start waking up the flies stuck in the pipes and get those 12 you just revealed. Head to the right and get all the flies stuck in those pipes. You probably had to watch the little cutscene at this point. I think you're good at this point. Pick the collectors up and start getting all the yellow blobs. Don't spend too much time being thorough. Just give it a lap and maybe wake up the fly stuck in the hive while you're at it. Don't try and get them all the way full, just empty them out when they're like 3/4 full. Get them 3/4 full again and drop them off and that should be enough to get into the pipe at the top left of the vat and get this snake. Head through the portal at the bottom of this area, BUT go to the hub instead of the nut forest.

In the hub, go two portals to the east and it should be the one that leads back to the Vases level.

Vases - Now we'll get the snake. We don't want this to be the last snake we get, so we have to just get it now. Break all the vases again using R1/L1. Get the scene, leave the area using the portal at the top, come back, break the new vases, get the scene, leave, come back, then fly around the huge vase near the top until the snake comes out. Then go to the portal at the bottom right.

Ocean - When you enter, just start heading southeast until you see the big anchor fish, then go east a bit. Start collecting any fish you can, then bring them kind of south and east a bit until you find the garbage pile. Bring a school of fish there and let them eat garbage until they all turn red. Bring those to the anchor fish and let him eat them all until he's fully disabled. The mermaid should be trying to follow you at this point, so go back and just guide her through to the fisherman. When you get the snake, go back to the anchor fish, then go east to the portal. GO THE THE HUB WORLD. The cutscene starts, then the credits. Once the "vertical scrolling" credits start, you can press X to skip them and see what your final time is, and hopefully get the trophy at that point.

Edited by Seibei4211

Uhh, I have a problem.

I'm just trying to beat the game the first time, and I KNOW I've beaten all the levels listed. I've gone to the hub world, no credits.

The only "circle" portal in the hub world not filled in is at the far top, in the 12 O'clock position. Am I missing a level? Which one is that?

Edit: You're missing a level. It's the one with all the musical strings.

Edited by DoomBurrito7

Uhh, I have a problem.

I'm just trying to beat the game the first time, and I KNOW I've beaten all the levels listed. I've gone to the hub world, no credits.

The only "circle" portal in the hub world not filled in is at the far top, in the 12 O'clock position. Am I missing a level? Which one is that?

Edit: You're missing a level. It's the one with all the musical strings.

Oh, you're right. I wrote it, then removed it with the intention of putting it back in a different post, but forgot to do that. Anyway, fixed it now.

Also, that time is heartbreaking.

Edited by Seibei4211

Actually, ironically enough, I really disliked the game until I speedrun'd it. I had much more fun racing around the levels than I did wandering around trying to figure things out.

Now, am I annoyed about that time? Yuuppp. But I'll have fun speeding through again, so I'm not super mad.

I would HATE having to find all those eyes. Super glad you don't need to do that at all.

All of those areas are found in the third portal in the nut forest. This is why I'd suggest drawing a map of the game. You become way more familiar with the areas when you can picture the layout in your head or see it on paper. Each portal has one branching path, basically. So if you go through each portal twice, and the second time you take the path you didn't take last time, you'll visit every level. The roller coaster level is the exception. That's part of a second branch, but it's the only level in that branch, so that's why I just backtrack and continue on the rest of that path instead of looping back around.

The symbols on the nut forest are linked to someone in the vases level, but it just gives you a trophy, ultimately. Other than that, you can do the Journey easter egg, but that's it.

So I pretty much got Fked by the game... Finished the game with the time around 50min and when the time appeared after credits there was some message on the screen - cant connect with cloud sign in psn network etc. And after that the game went to main menu... No trophy and best of all game keeps showing the same freakin message about cloud error even tho Im signed to psn all the time... Wasted my time and got pissed ,very nice..

Edit: Meh tried to finish it on PS4 instead of vita.Earned gold trophy but cant sync it lol.. Game got some serious problems... First people had problem with turning the game on ps4 and now trophy sync problem...

Im glad that this game was fantastic so I can forgive them all the faults hehe.

Oh and the ps4 trophy sync error code is: NP-32136-5

Edited by kamilinhoPL
Down want to spam the topic with another post :P

I'm not super sure. The first attempt I did, I paused and let myself be distracted more easily cause I underestimated the time limit. I assumed cutscenes and stuff didn't count. The second time, I just didn't pause much, and if I did, it was only for a couple of seconds at a time. Didn't wanna chance it. I had my own timer going, and when I got the trophy, the game had 51 minutes and my own timer had 54 minutes, but I had the timer going throughout the unskippable part of the credits, so I assume time stops once the credits start. So if you can't skip the first three minutes of credits, then it probably means pausing is fine. I'd still try going for it uninterrupted though.

Thanks a lot for this, helped me out a lot!

First attempt...Failed at 1:02....

Second attempt, succeeded at 0:56 :D

I do reckon getting all the eyes would be better trophy replacement though, would have liked to see a platinum trophy make it into this game too. I'm sure they could have squeezed out some extra trophy tasks.

I just got the trophy today, and I can definitely say that the end credits don't count. I got a completion time of ~57:00, but I had a timer running on my phone, and I finished the final level and returned to the hub at around 58:30 and got the trophy. Since the credits take 2.5 minutes before you can skip them, and my completion time was less than my time when I entered the hub for the end credits, I'd definitely say they don't count, otherwise I would have failed it.

Also, I don't think the cutscenes with each serpent count, again since the time I had on my phone at the end was about 1.5 minutes more than what the game said.

Thanks again for the Twitch stream, it was really helpful.

I know what to do in each level, the problem is the navigation. Would appreciate if someone can put together a complete walkthru in chronological order of the levels you go through and how to get to the next after completing one.

I know what to do in each level, the problem is the navigation. Would appreciate if someone can put together a complete walkthru in chronological order of the levels you go through and how to get to the next after completing one.

That's what the original post is...follow them in order, and if he doesn't tell you to go through a portal into the next one, go back to the Popnut Hub

That's what the original post is...follow them in order, and if he doesn't tell you to go through a portal into the next one, go back to the Popnut Hub

I don't think Farm is the first level. I didn't even get there till late in the game.

I don't think Farm is the first level. I didn't even get there till late in the game.

That's because there's no one single way to go through the levels. This is just the order that I went through the levels. I did the harder levels first and the easier ones last. If you go in the leftmost of the three portals, then through the left portal again, that's the farm level. I even have video evidence of me going through the game in this order. There are five possible "first levels."