What an awful game.

jedi1josh

I was going through replay to get the missed trophies. In my original run I got arrested in the subway station. I decided to go back and get the Fugitive trophy and read on the guide that I needed this to get the Detox trophy. Having read the requirements for Detox and seeing that it looked pretty easy I decided to leave the auto save off as to not mess up my main story line chapters so I can earn the Four heroes and Perfect crime later. I went through the steps of not being caught, got to the point to where Jayden was having his withdrawal (why this doesn't happen unless Ethan is caught I don't know) and I headed towards the bathroom. I got just a step in front of the bathroom and the scene automatically jumped to Jayden grabbing the vial off the table and snorting it. I don't get it, you can't scratch your ass in the game without rotating the :l3: button and then rapidly pressing :triangle: but for this trophy which requires a very specific route to get to, you can just stand too close and trigger doing the wrong thing. This game has just made my top 5 worse PS3 games. How can you people call this trash good?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait what? If I'm understanding your post correctly, you're stating this game is the worst PS3 game you've ever played because of the specific requirements to earn certain trophies?

This game was meant to be enjoyed for the story, not trophies...:rolleyes:

what he said... don't judge a game by it's trophie's, just the normal Aspect's. Graphic's playing a very unimportant part.

I agree, it's a horrible game. The environments are fake, dull, empty and barely interactive, the characters all walk extremely slow and meander around even in times of danger, your choices don't matter at all and the game's almost completely linear until the last 45 minutes, the face button choices are hard to read even on an HDTV (especially when they're shaking and floating around in front of each other) resulting in wrong choices, the camera angles are bad, the controls suck and characters will often walk in the opposite direction you want, there's giant plot holes in the story, the animations and voice overs are laughably bad and make the characters feel like robots, the QTEs are stupid and sometimes don't register (especially Sixaxis), and it's extremely repetitive and boring.

I fail to see how this is such a great game as everyone says.

trophies do not and should not EVER factor into whether or not a game is good.

This is probably one of the best and most creative gam-- er, I'm sorry, Interactive Dramas, ever created.

There's not much else like it.

I agree, it's a horrible game. The environments are fake, dull, empty and barely interactive, the characters all walk extremely slow and meander around even in times of danger, your choices don't matter at all and the game's almost completely linear until the last 45 minutes, the face button choices are hard to read even on an HDTV (especially when they're shaking and floating around in front of each other) resulting in wrong choices, the camera angles are bad, the controls suck and characters will often walk in the opposite direction you want, there's giant plot holes in the story, the animations and voice overs are laughably bad and make the characters feel like robots, the QTEs are stupid and sometimes don't register (especially Sixaxis), and it's extremely repetitive and boring.

I fail to see how this is such a great game as everyone says.

lol, u are the furthest from the truth u could possibly be.

The game strives in interaction. It's the core of gameplay.

The choices u make DO matter, they ALL matter. Every scene has at least 2 or 3 outcomes. each trial Ethan does affects how many letters u get in the end, he could also die in the butterfly trial (which is NOT in the last 45 minutes).

as for the not being able to see the movements, either adjust your tv's settings or get yur eyes checked. I had to play the first time on an old 80s standard TV and evry word was blurry as hell, and I was somehow still able to play just fine.

Edited by oversoul53

trophies do not and should not EVER factor into whether or not a game is good.

This is probably one of the best and most creative gam-- er, I'm sorry, Interactive Dramas, ever created.

There's not much else like it.

lol, u are the furthest from the truth u could possibly be.

The game strives in interaction. It's the core of gameplay.

The choices u make DO matter, they ALL matter. Every scene has at least 2 or 3 outcomes. each trial Ethan does affects how many letters u get in the end, he could also die in the butterfly trial (which is NOT in the last 45 minutes).

as for the not being able to see the movements, either adjust your tv's settings or get yur eyes checked. I had to play the first time on an old 80s standard TV and evry word was blurry as hell, and I was somehow still able to play just fine.

Most choices affect very little, with the exception of very few moments, your choices before the last 45 minutes mean very little to nothing at all, and the "outcomes" they could have are completely superficial, Lauren talks about her son or she doesn't same outcome, you let the robber kill the shopowner or make him leave, same outcome, it's never mentioned again.

I have a 40" HDTV, and when the choices are coming up, they're buzzing around like flies, shaking, blurry, and covering up other choices, I can't tell which button goes with the choice, it's just stupid.

The rest of my points are true also.

It's funny that on a site dedicated to finding trophies people are arguing that trophies don't affect the value of the game. I am only playing this game for the trophies, If I was playing for the game I would've quit after the first twenty minutes. This games is bad, very bad. The story is actually good and so is the graphics but there is absolutely zero gameplay value, and zero replay value.

I discovered yet another reason this game sucks (Warning it has to do with trophies!) When You go to replay a chapter for a trophy it makes you wait until the end of that chapter to get the trophy. Sometimes it makes you play two or even three chapters for the trophy to pop. Why did I have to play the chapters "Eureka, The Cemetery, and Twins" just to get the Chef trophy? I should've only had to play Eureka to get it, that's where's it's at.

Like StealthMonkey said, the characters all move slow (the whole game is painfully slow), the choices are hard to see, and sometimes the game doesn't even register when you've done something. I've tried to get the trophy for taking care of the bay three times now and keep failing because the game doesn't register me hitting the :r3: to the left even though I am 100% certain that I am, as a matter of fact as soon as I get the red fail on the screen I redo it in the exact same way then all of the sudden it worked. The Twins chapter is the same way, a few times having to repeatably hitting :cross: doesn't seem to register. And what's with having to hold :r2: to walk? Why can't I just move around with the :l3: and :r3: sticks like every other game ever created?

Also as I stated in my original post, they make you hit two to three different buttons to do something mundane, then when a more serious choice of action needs to be made all of a sudden you don't need to hit any buttons but just be close to wherever you need to be. Or when Madison is tied up and about to die the QTE are motion controlled rather than having to hit buttons. This is so inconsistent with the rest of the game.

I made this point before somewhere else and I'll make it again here. This game is rated very high among users, and Linger in Shadow is rated low and yet both games are basically the same thing. Some even accuse Linger in Shadows of not even being a game at all but a interactive virtual environment. Sounds like Heavy Rain fits this description as well. Maybe we should stop referring to Heavy Rain as a game.

Edited by jedi1josh

just cuz the site is dedicated to trophy hunting doesn't mean we think trophies affect a game's rating. Most of us have more sense than that. (I hope).

Trophy hunting is a hobby. u put the game first and trophies second. I always play a game for the game, not for trophies. and I LOVED this game.

regardless of what any of u think... the game won many awards so it's obviously a good game in the public eye and it's now on PS3's "Greatest Hits" list.

majority rules... so... yeah...

Edited by oversoul53

just cuz the site is dedicated to trophy hunting doesn't mean we think trophies affect a game's rating. Most of us have more sense than that. (I hope).

Trophy hunting is a hobby. u put the game first and trophies second. I always play a game for the game, not for trophies. and I LOVED this game.

regardless of what any of u think... the game won many awards so it's obviously a good game in the public eye and it's now on PS3's "Greatest Hits" list.

majority rules... so... yeah...

Majority likes a lot of things, doesn't make them good (rebecca black's Friday, McDonalds, Wii Fit, Apple products, CoD online, etc.), there is huge problems with Heavy Rain whether the general public acknowledges it or not.

I'm pretty sure no one likes Rebecca Black's Friday....

This. Obviously someone doesn't understand WHY it's popular; because it's terrible. Check out likes vs dislikes on the video if you don't believe me.

Heavy Rain is a fantastic game. What it does, it does well. If you're bitching about the game because you wanted to get all the trophies as fast as possible, then clearly you've lost your sense of what being a gamer means.

I personally liked the game and I do agree that you should not base a game by the trophies or achievements you get or how easy or difficult to achieve them. When games were back to the PS2 with no trophies, everyone enjoyed their games more because they weren't solely based on the trophies or plats. If Heavy Rain was on the ps2, I'd still play it. Probably wouldn't try to get all endings but I won't call it an awful game because in my opinion it's a great game.

You both just completely missed the point of my post, it was just an example, if you need another then pretty much anything by Soulja Boy.

the thing you're forgetting is your opinions aren't facts.

Just cuz u don't like it doesn't make it a bad game, that's just your opinion.

Yur basically telling us we're wrong for liking it.

the thing you're forgetting is your opinions aren't facts.

Just cuz u don't like it doesn't make it a bad game, that's just your opinion.

Yur basically telling us we're wrong for liking it.

All the problems I stated are facts, whether you choose to still like it despite so many flaws is your opinion.

All the problems I stated are facts, whether you choose to still like it despite so many flaws is your opinion.

Ok, I can no longer support this thread as valid. u think your opinions are facts and that alone makes everything else u have said null and void.

come talk to me when you can admit that your opinions are opinions and nothing more, then we can (maybe) have an intelligent, mature, adult debate about it.

Good day sir. :cool:

:facepalm:

All the things you just stated are features of the game. Identifying them as "problems" is your opinion, not a fact.

I don't mind that the characters walk slow, I have no problem seeing the QTE's, or identifying one from the other. I have yet to have an issue with me going one way, and the game going the other way. So based on my experience, your "facts" are without merit.

You don't like the game, and are allowed to not like the game.

You can't say that this game is factually, definitively horrible, and anyone who disagrees with you is just ignoring how horrible the game is...

Now, that being said, the title of the thread is "what an awful game", so people should come in here and post their opinion (like any good forum) whether they agree or disagree, but respect the opinions of the OP (even if they're baseless and obscure). Of course the OP'er shouldn't get his/her knickers in a twist when someone disagrees with them, because again that's the nature of a forum.

That's my piece, thank you and good day. :)

Edited by Gyrfalcon09

Ok, I can no longer support this thread as valid. u think your opinions are facts and that alone makes everything else u have said null and void.

come talk to me when you can admit that your opinions are opinions and nothing more, then we can (maybe) have an intelligent, mature, adult debate about it.

Good day sir. :cool:

All right, not ALL of them are facts, but most of them are...:rolleyes:

I agree, it's a horrible game. The environments are fake, dull, empty and barely interactive,

Whether you like the environments or not is an opinion, but there's not much denying that they are empty and do lack interaction.

the characters all walk extremely slow and meander around even in times of danger,

Yet again, unless you think walking like 1.5 mph is fast, there really isn't much debate here, they walk slow.

your choices don't matter at all and the game's almost completely linear until the last 45 minutes,

Most of your choices don't affect anything... almost every choice you make up until then has no bearing on the story

the face button choices are hard to read even on an HDTV (especially when they're shaking and floating around in front of each other) resulting in wrong choices,

People may have less trouble reading them than me, but can you really deny that they're harder to read than they would be if they were still rather than small, shaking, and floating, I can't be the only one who had a problem reading them....

the camera angles are bad,

This is an opinion, but it's almost universally agreed upon that they're awful and that a camera you control or at least better angles would work much better

the controls suck and characters will often walk in the opposite direction you want,

This is an opinion but I've heard many people complain f this problem

there's giant plot holes in the story,

This is a fact, look them up if you'd like

the animations and voice overs are laughably bad and make the characters feel like robots,

The animations are bad, and so is the voice acting, you could still think it's good, but it's basically universally agreed on

the QTEs are stupid and sometimes don't register (especially Sixaxis), and it's extremely repetitive and boring.

These are opinions, but the Sixaxis isn't really that accurate and that's a fact.