Story Discussion Thread *MASSIVE SPOILERS INSIDE*

olsen77

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png WARNING! http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png

SPOILER TAGS ARE NOT USED IN THIS THREAD!

You have entered a spoiler tag free zone about the game Heavy Rain. This thread has been created to discuss anything HR related. You are permitted to discuss key plot points, boss battles and any part of the story openly without the use of SPOILER TAGS. Please note, this is not a "How do I..." thread. Any posts like this will be deleted.

In summary, this is a SPOILER TAG free zone. You do not have to use SPOILER TAGS within this thread.

This thread is immune.

Edited by FiftyQuid

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[spoiler=ID]What did everyone think of the game in general? I thought the storyline was great, I didn't know Shelby was the killer and then when it was revealed it was a bit disappointing at first. When the full story is revealed however, you realize if you play the game "right", you get to see how Shelby really is and his motivation to clearing everything he may have left behind to make a clean break.

They need more games with this kind of storytelling and you controlling the action until the very end, being able to decide your own fate is a nice break from other games.

My only real annoyance with the game is the shake the control for X seconds on certain points, it just doesn't always work right and could have probably used a different method instead.

[spoiler=ID]What did everyone think of the game in general? I thought the storyline was great, I didn't know Shelby was the killer and then when it was revealed it was a bit disappointing at first. When the full story is revealed however, you realize if you play the game "right", you get to see how Shelby really is and his motivation to clearing everything he may have left behind to make a clean break.

They need more games with this kind of storytelling and you controlling the action until the very end, being able to decide your own fate is a nice break from other games.

My only real annoyance with the game is the shake the control for X seconds on certain points, it just doesn't always work right and could have probably used a different method instead.

I agree with you all the way except for the controller part, how would you change that for something else?? I would like to see more story base games, but some games dont need to be indepth about the story, but with this game i believe they handled the story right. Im waiting for the future DLC

Edited by GODCHILD1020

I agree with you all the way except for the controller part, how would you change that for something else?? I would like to see more story base games, but some games dont need to be indepth about the story, but with this game i believe they handled the story right. Im waiting for the future DLC

I mean the parts where you have to shake the controller right/left or up/down for a few seconds. Many times I did it and it just messed up at the end no matter what the pacing. I also noticed a number of glitches, mostly the music replaying the same 30 seconds.

The Taxidermist should be interesting.

I mean the parts where you have to shake the controller right/left or up/down for a few seconds. Many times I did it and it just messed up at the end no matter what the pacing. I also noticed a number of glitches, mostly the music replaying the same 30 seconds.

The Taxidermist should be interesting.

it would be better if you could use the analog stick instead, but i guess it did change how the controller can be used.

The only glitches i had was Madison [spoiler=2]falling down some stairs out of nowhere and the sound cutting out when madison gets to the hotel. Im still mad the killer was Scott, i felt for him when his brother died.

To bad i have to wait til the 4th to play it..:mad:

Edited by GODCHILD1020

Does anybody know what "The Taxidermist" DLC will be about? I can't wait for it.
Heavy Rain: Chronicle One - The Taxidermist will feature investigative journalist Madison Paige in her hunt for a serial killer. It will be an update to the original taxidermist demo.. I just hope theres trophies. If not im still getting ithttp://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177383 Edited by GODCHILD1020

I'm looking forward to any dlc. Im waiting untill the 4th to redeem my special edition code even though hmv sent me another one.

I love this game. I almost dont want to play through it a bunch more times to get all the trophies. I sort of feel like i played through it and got my story and dont want to see all the other endings.

[spoiler=abc]As for the twist i thought they played it perfect. I was annoyed that i knew there was a twist so was suspicious of everything but i still didn't see it coming. I liked Shelby as a character and really thought he was a good guy. I thought the scene with the reveal was brilliant too. Shelby burning stuff and getting the flashbacks.

Good idea Olsen

[spoiler=HR]OMG i was freakin shocked that Scott was the killer. When we went back in time to see John's brother trying to find help to free his brother and the dad refused to help, and he goes back and John says "Dont forget about me Scottie" i was like "Hell no!". It all made pefect sense after that. He wanted to find a father capable of saving his son. Wow that game was great. Getting the trophies suck but the story was legit

Good idea Olsen

[spoiler=oHR]OMG i was freakin shocked that Scott was the killer. When we went back in time to see John's brother trying to find help to free his brother and the dad refused to help, and he goes back and John says "Dont forget about me Scottie" i was like "Hell no!". It all made pefect sense after that. He wanted to find a father capable of saving his son. Wow that game was great. Getting the trophies suck but the story was legit

Hell to the yes. The story kicked serious ass.

[spoiler=ofdoom]At first I heard John say Scotty, but it didn't click until he started burning the evidence that it was actually him. As soon as it showed the flashback in Manfred's shop, I was like, no fucking way Scotty! You're better than that!

The only problem I have with the game is the small text; maybe playing a HDTV was better, but I had a hard time reading the text and differentiating between the :square: and :circle: buttons. As for the story...

[spoiler=HR]It was a great story! I kept switching between who I thought was the killer, but I never guess it was Scott

I thought the plot was very good however

[spoiler=recto3]The plot hole with Ethan thinking he might be the serial killer even though the third trial has him needing to perform an act in front of the camera. On top of that in the first video he sees of his son, his son is calling his dad to save him. If he did do it, his son would definitely be not calling for him to save him, rather for his mom or someone else

I think the delay for the DLC coming out probably has to do with the trophies. Guessing Sony wanted them to add them in, but they forgot to do it when they frst did it. Just a theory though.

Edited by oddeye

Hell to the yes! I agree, this game was so good! Too bad I stormed through it... :(

[spoiler=mary]Anyways, I'm still in shock to the fact Scott is the killer, was sure it was Carter Blake. But i definitely knew it wasn't Ethan or Gordi.

Also I'm slightly confused as to why Scott was investigating the murders if he was the killer? :S

Edited by Scorpkahn

Hell to the yes! I agree, this game was so good! Too bad I stormed through it... :(

[spoiler=mary]Anyways, I'm still in shock to the fact Scott is the killer, was sure it was Carter Blake. But i definitely knew it wasn't Ethan or Gordi.

Also I'm slightly confused as to why Scott was investigating the murders if he was the killer? :S

[spoiler=asdfgg]I'm pretty sure Shelby was pretending to investigate so that he could cover his tracks. Thats why he was burning all the evidence that he had collected.

[spoiler=ee]

i still cant understand why ethan was saying to the shrink and his wife that he sees images of dead bodies and drawing kids and has an origami figures..

was shelby doing it to him? and how? they never showed anything regarding that.. except that he was monitoring him since he saw him saving his first son..

the game developers did almost perfect with the game.. but screw at some points like this which is critical to the whole story!

the story is like 7 out 10..

[spoiler=dd]

also.. why the need to go to manfred's shop.. the guy did not have to do anything with the crimes.. and no one knew about the typewriter!.. so why go there.. and kill him!!!

Edited by Astral Soul

[spoiler=dd]

also.. why the need to go to manfred's shop.. the guy did not have to do anything with the crimes.. and no one knew about the typewriter!.. so why go there.. and kill him!!!

Actually, this is one of the reasons that whole thing didn't make sense.

[spoiler=dd]

When you actually go into the clock shop, and the guy goes to look for the files, Shelby is out with that girl the entire time, and unless the game has a sudden time warp that I'm not sure of, Shelby walks into that place to find the guy dead.

Yet, when they show what happened with the reveal, they show that he had time to do ALL of that within the speed of a blink.

Also, there was no showing in the reveal about Jago (or whoever that club guy's name was) and what exactly led to him wanting to kill him.

This could actually be a reason for what I'm thinking: what you do in the game also affects who the killer actually IS (notice, also, that no name is mentioned at ALL even after the reveal). Although I could be wrong, I'm starting to think that. I'll have to play through it again to see what I come up with.

[spoiler=dd]

Actually, I may try to have Scott die early to see if anything changes with who it could be.

I wonder if QD was THAT effin clever.

Actually, this is one of the reasons that whole thing didn't make sense.

[spoiler=dd]

Actually, I may try to have Scott die early to see if anything changes with who it could be.

I wonder if QD was THAT effin clever.

PLease let us know what you come up with and your endings..

Edited by GODCHILD1020

On the surface, the story for the game was fantastic, and being that its a game and not a movie, you spend a lot more time with the characters which allows you to get more attached to them.

[spoiler=NL1] One thing that really jumped out at me was during the "Twins" chapter. If you pay close attention, you can actually hear the strange way the kid breathes when he runs. Sounds like a future asthmatic to me. Little things like that sold the story very well.

All that being said, once you look a little deeper, there were several plot points that bothered me, and seemed to go unresolved.

[spoiler=NL2] First of all, as it was mentioned before, there was no clarifying why Ethan was having the dreams of being the Origami Killer. I guess I'll just have to write that off as his fragile emotional state after losing his son combined with the all the media attention of boys being taken by the killer. But there's more to it than that. For example, when Scott and Lauren go to Manfred's shop to investigate the typewriter, they discover that John Sheppard did make repairs there, and we all know that Scott was using John's name. Yet, when Manfred addresses Scott, he doesn't call him John. So, I would think that one of two things should've happened there. 1. When Scott asked Manfred if any of his clients had those types of typewriters in for repair, Manfred would've said, "Uh, you mean besides you, John?" Or, 2. There would've been no record of John Sheppard on Manfred's books for Lauren to cross-reference in the first place. I guess what bothers me the most about that is that realistically, there was no need for that scene in the first place, except to add a cool gameplay mechanic of "Did you pay attention? Good, clean up what you touched!" Other than that, all it did was cause confusion in an otherwise stellar story.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like there are any plot problems here that are any worse than what you might find in your average mystery movie, and if you play the game watch the story unfold, you'll love every second of it. However, since this is a game, and you're encouraged to try to figure out the mystery along the way, you tend to look a lot closer at things. That's what led me to find some things that bothered me. Overall, however, this is one of the best interactive entertainment experiences I've had in a long, long time. I hope it sells great, cuz unfortunately, that's the only way to encourage more games like this.

All that being said, once you look a little deeper, there were several plot points that bothered me, and seemed to go unresolved.

[spoiler=NL2] First of all, as it was mentioned before, there was no clarifying why Ethan was having the dreams of being the Origami Killer. I guess I'll just have to write that off as his fragile emotional state after losing his son combined with the all the media attention of boys being taken by the killer. But there's more to it than that. For example, when Scott and Lauren go to Manfred's shop to investigate the typewriter, they discover that John Sheppard did make repairs there, and we all know that Scott was using John's name. Yet, when Manfred addresses Scott, he doesn't call him John. So, I would think that one of two things should've happened there. 1. When Scott asked Manfred if any of his clients had those types of typewriters in for repair, Manfred would've said, "Uh, you mean besides you, John?" Or, 2. There would've been no record of John Sheppard on Manfred's books for Lauren to cross-reference in the first place. I guess what bothers me the most about that is that realistically, there was no need for that scene in the first place, except to add a cool gameplay mechanic of "Did you pay attention? Good, clean up what you touched!" Other than that, all it did was cause confusion in an otherwise stellar story.

QUOTE]

i thought about that too. it was a plot twist and they could of done that better unless, he had someone else bring the typewtiter in and use that name..Just a Guess.

PLease let us know what you come up with and your endings..

I will.

[spoiler=dd]

Like I said before, the thing that is getting me is in the clock store: where the hell did Scott find that time to do all that, and how did he do that so quickly? He stays in the front with Lauren, you see him the entire time up until he realizes that the guy was gone for a while, and you go in to see him dead. Now, at some point, he had to run in there, go and hit the guy with a brick, make sure he's dead, call the police to make it look like it was someone else, then rush back and act like nothing ever happened. All while you have an eyewitness who, if she found out he was the killer then, would kill him right then and there. The only time where there is a camera change off of him is when Lauren smiles at him while holding the ballerina thing, and she's looking at him the whole time the camera is off of him. Where did he find the time? That's why I'm suspicious that the identity could be dependent on what you do.

On the surface, the story for the game was fantastic, and being that its a game and not a movie, you spend a lot more time with the characters which allows you to get more attached to them.

[spoiler=NL1] One thing that really jumped out at me was during the "Twins" chapter. If you pay close attention, you can actually hear the strange way the kid breathes when he runs. Sounds like a future asthmatic to me. Little things like that sold the story very well.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like there are any plot problems here that are any worse than what you might find in your average mystery movie, and if you play the game watch the story unfold, you'll love every second of it. However, since this is a game, and you're encouraged to try to figure out the mystery along the way, you tend to look a lot closer at things. That's what led me to find some things that bothered me. Overall, however, this is one of the best interactive entertainment experiences I've had in a long, long time. I hope it sells great, cuz unfortunately, that's the only way to encourage more games like this.

[spoiler=manlyfred]

but you gotta remember, Manfred didnt recognize Scott until he told him hios name, he could have easily gone in a few years ago and said his name was John Sheppard, and Manfred wouldnt have been able to tell.

[spoiler=manlyfred]

but you gotta remember, Manfred didnt recognize Scott until he told him hios name, he could have easily gone in a few years ago and said his name was John Sheppard, and Manfred wouldnt have been able to tell.

[spoiler=dd]

But then he would also recognize him as John, also. He wouldn't forget THAT easily, would he?

[spoiler=dd]

Also, did anyone actually figure out what about ARI was giving Jayden the seizures? I think I missed something somewhere about why ARI was so dangerous for him to use. His was the only death I had of the four main characters in my first playthrough (I didn't realize that his eye bleeding was that bad of a sign, though I guess that should've been too obvious).

[spoiler=ID]

Like others, I just wish they would explain the whole dream sequences Ethan was having. Obviously part of it was to throw the player off the actual killer but followup for this sort of thing is badly needed. Hopefully some DLC could clear it up, although I feel they really should have answered it the first time.

Edited by Thunder_At_Home