Easy S Rank [rising mode]

highfructose

It's been said that the S-rank comes with 4,000,000 points in a level. Most points seem to come from bonuses awarded for speed, clearing enemies, etc. After trying to speedrun the first couple missions to get the highest Time Bonus, I got frustrated and decided to take another path:

There's plenty of places where enemies (Privates - the guys that run in from the left/right of the screen) will spawn forever, just offscreen, every few seconds. Find one of these early enough and camp it while holding down square (or using scotch tape :p) to quickly rack up points. Thanks to the multiplier, you'll get more points for each private killed (they start at 1,000pts I think) as you go. Just be sure you're not in a spot where enemies spawn from both sides, or you won't be able to use the scotch tape method :p

If you're lucky, you'll get a spot where 2 (or more) enemies spawn, so the points will rack up even faster.

One downside to this: There appears to be some mechanism that will 'cut you off' from earning points; enemies will no longer award points and your multiplier will drop to 0. From this point on, you'll receive zero points for enemy deaths for the rest of the level (even bosses, I believe), though you will get points for medals/1ups/miscellaneous things like that. This 'cut off' lasts only for the remainder of the current stage; you'll be able to farm the next stage as soon as it begins.

I believe this cutoff point is purely based on a (hidden) timer. On the first stage I started camping a spawn point just before the 'wall of guns' miniboss and I stopped getting points at around 2.5 million. On the second stage I camped a spawn point right off the bat (I think it was literally about the 2nd place enemy I ran into) and I racked up about 7 million points, with a multiplier of over 20x.

Once you get 'cut off', play the rest of the stage normally, making sure not to lose all your lives. You'll likely collect some more bonuses at the end of the stage that may push you over the edge if you're close to 4 million based on enemy kills, but as far as what I've seen so far, this should work pretty solidly throughout the rising mode stages - it all comes down to how quickly you're able to establish a spawn point.

This is obviously also a good way to earn some fast upgrade points if you're more interested in powering your character up so that you can earn S-rank through legitimate means (er, as legitimate as you can get after artificially inflating yourself through upgrades earned this way...).

It's been said that the S-rank comes with 4,000,000 points in a level. Most points seem to come from bonuses awarded for speed, clearing enemies, etc. After trying to speedrun the first couple missions to get the highest Time Bonus, I got frustrated and decided to take another path:

There's plenty of places where enemies (Privates - the guys that run in from the left/right of the screen) will spawn forever, just offscreen, every few seconds. Find one of these early enough and camp it while holding down square (or using scotch tape :p) to quickly rack up points. Thanks to the multiplier, you'll get more points for each private killed (they start at 1,000pts I think) as you go. Just be sure you're not in a spot where enemies spawn from both sides, or you won't be able to use the scotch tape method :p

If you're lucky, you'll get a spot where 2 (or more) enemies spawn, so the points will rack up even faster.

One downside to this: There appears to be some mechanism that will 'cut you off' from earning points; enemies will no longer award points and your multiplier will drop to 0. From this point on, you'll receive zero points for enemy deaths for the rest of the level (even bosses, I believe), though you will get points for medals/1ups/miscellaneous things like that. This 'cut off' lasts only for the remainder of the current stage; you'll be able to farm the next stage as soon as it begins.

I believe this cutoff point is purely based on a (hidden) timer. On the first stage I started camping a spawn point just before the 'wall of guns' miniboss and I stopped getting points at around 2.5 million. On the second stage I camped a spawn point right off the bat (I think it was literally about the 2nd place enemy I ran into) and I racked up about 7 million points, with a multiplier of over 20x.

Once you get 'cut off', play the rest of the stage normally, making sure not to lose all your lives. You'll likely collect some more bonuses at the end of the stage that may push you over the edge if you're close to 4 million based on enemy kills, but as far as what I've seen so far, this should work pretty solidly throughout the rising mode stages - it all comes down to how quickly you're able to establish a spawn point.

This is obviously also a good way to earn some fast upgrade points if you're more interested in powering your character up so that you can earn S-rank through legitimate means (er, as legitimate as you can get after artificially inflating yourself through upgrades earned this way...).

How's that easy S Rank? Your just farming CP and the CP farming method on Stage 2 is much faster with giving you the up grades you need for the game. I'm 68% done with my charterer.

How's that easy S Rank? Your just farming CP and the CP farming method on Stage 2 is much faster with giving you the up grades you need for the game. I'm 68% done with my charterer.

Farming for CP on a single stage and upgrading everything still requires you to play through other stages in certain ways to maximize your Bonuses (like performing speedruns). Farming per-level to bump past (or close to) 4 million then completing the level just gets you S Rank in a different way.

It's merely an (easy) alternative for those that get frustrated when trying to speedrun.

Farming for CP on a single stage and upgrading everything still requires you to play through other stages in certain ways to maximize your Bonuses (like performing speedruns). Farming per-level to bump past (or close to) 4 million then completing the level just gets you S Rank in a different way.

It's merely an (easy) alternative for those that get frustrated when trying to speedrun.

This method is good though it'll take a lot longer to get through the levels and then could be frustrating to die right before the end only to lose all the points.

I'm finding it far simpler to utilize the speed runs. How many of the levels have you S Ranked this way?

You only lose the points if you get a Continue not just from a death. You're more likely to die from speed runs rather than ones where you take your time like his description.

Really though unless your not doing well and are gettin hit all the time, while doing Single Player S-rank shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you dont lose your combo meter as you go through and you'll get enough score to get S-Rank and you'll get the 3mil time bonus.

No one should feel the need to sit and camp a spawn point for half an hour to get S-Rank, only reason you should be doing that is for CP xD

Edited by CogniVision

• 1 year later...