Is this game any good?

If you just looking to play the game and enjoy the story..I dunno. I paid attention and read every line of text during my playthrough (normal ending) and several times I got bored and had to walk away for a little bit (To be fair Saito's route is alot more interesting then normal ending, have not seen others) I was satisfied with the normal ending overall.

If your looking to platinum the game your in for a huge hassle. as of this moment There are no guides in English for this game. all of the guides are in Japanese and if you don't speak Japanese you need to use Google translator and it's super unreliable. I'm trying to get Okita's route for the 3rd time because I can't fill his romance bar to the required level and I can't fill his romance bar unless I select all the correct responses. Let me give you an example of what I'm dealing with.

Right now the game is asking me:

1. Want to come

2. Will stay behind.

Google translated guides answer? " 留守番~/Has been Answering"

it took 2 playthrough's to figure out the correct answer was stay behind.

Another example would be having to choose between yes and no. Google translator told me to pick

いる/Roast lol. This problem comes up 1-3 times per chapter, which is why I end up on the wrong route/getting Game Over constantly.

Edited by VanDeaM

I enjoyed the first playthrough I had, I got a character ending and then on the second got the normal ending. Aside from that I'm trying figure out the branching paths using speed text and reading only when its new content.

If you are going for plat, it will be a long haul until an english guide comes out (if it ever does).

If you are having trouble with the endings, this game already released in the US as Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom for the PSP. This guide here got me all the english endings no problems at all and it was 100% accurate. I'm just working on the other trophies since I have no idea what to do now.

Lazuline-colored Ramblings: Hakuouki Demon of The Fleeting Blossom Walkthrough

lol, a secret English guide under a different name! I had to find out about this the day after I got my platinum.

Anyways tips for encyclopedia entries. I got all the main story entries just from getting all the main story trophies. The rest were in stories, your gonna need to go and choose EVERY option for Shinsengumi adventures 1 and 2 (the one where you chase the cat) Make a save at the first choice, pick something and see it to the end. After it saves hit continue, and do it again until your sure you've selected every option for every branch (until someone writes a guide).

There are also entries in the full bloom shorts you unlock as well, so make sure you watch all of those.

Edited by VanDeaM

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still very early into this one. I have enjoyed the story so far, but this really comes down to enjoying the story. Sounds stupid, but if you do not care for a lot of reading (it is a visual novel) then I wouldn't bother getting this one.

While it may end up being an "easy" but time consuming platinum, I'm not sure that I will maintain interest to try to hit all the branches. I did find a guide (I can link ... but didn't think that was allowed) that I used for my initial play through in order to speed things up with my next play through, but this looks like a serious time commitment, just reading various branches of the story.

• 1 month later...

On your first playthrough, just play and don't worry about a guide. The combinations for triggering the storyline trophies differ greatly from each other and often require game saves at some of the choices, then when the story line is completed, reload the saves and choose a different option.

Recommend playing through once to see what ending you get and which 'romance' you do. then on other playthroughs like I have done is get the guide off gamefaqs, start up a new game, press square for fast forward, watch netflix on vita and when the choice comes up pick the right one in the guide :)

I think Toudou was the first one i got. I need Harada's route and Kazama's route for the main game. then a bunch more playthroughs for all the images and collectibles.

Deciding whether to buy this game is easy.

Do you mind 30+ hours of reading? Do you have an interest in Japanese history, more specifically the Bakumatsu period, and thus won't mind a rather political story? Lastly, do you like the anime culture?

If you're eh on any of those, there's a chance this game won't hold your interest, and thus isn't worth your time.