Hakuoki Stories of the Shinsengumi Coming to America

Shuffle

Aksys brought over Hakuoki for PSP first and then released the Nintendo 3DS port, Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi, a few weeks ago. Chizuru’s next stop is consoles with the Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi for PlayStation 3. This version has additional events and the a short story that takes place if Hakuoki’s characters were in a modern day high school. Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi also has downloadable side stories, a DLC art gallery, and extra costumes. Aksys says the game is "coming soon," but haven’t announced a specific release date.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/22/hakuoki-spreading-love-playstation-3/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi is coming to PlayStation 3 this spring and Aksys will release a limited edition box set for the game. The package includes a traditional Japanese comb, hairpin, an Omamori love charm with the Hakuoki Kitan stamp on the back, and the PS3 game in a lacquer style box. Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi includes the visual novel found in the PSP and 3DS versions plus additional content like a modern day story with the Hakuoki characters in a Japanese high school. Aksys plans to release even more Hakuoki content including an art gallery and side stories as downloadable content for Stories of the Shinsengumi.
Hakuoki: Stories Of Shinsengumi Limited Edition Includes An Omamori Love Charm - Siliconera

• 1 month later...

As a EU player I may consider importing it... But too bad it has DLCs, with the pain it is to buy digital content from another continent...

Do you know how much did they cost approximatively in the japanese version? Or maybe they will be included in the game for the US release?

EDIT: Sorry I didn't read the last post. :D

Edited by GastNDorf

As a EU player I may consider importing it... But too bad it has DLCs, with the pain it is to buy digital content from another continent...

Do you know how much did they cost approximatively in the japanese version? Or maybe they will be included in the game for the US release?

EDIT: Sorry I didn't read the last post. :D

PS3 DLC is easy to purchase. All you need is the right region PSN account, the right region PSN Store card and the right region of the game. So basically if all 3 of these are U.S., then you can buy DLC for this U.S. version with no problem and there are websites you can buy any region PSN Store card you want like Play-Asia is an example. Though I think it's quite possible for it to be released in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

Silly question here.. but this has been described as primarily an otome game. I like the idea of a visual novel, as lately those games have been incredibly compelling and interesting for me to play (or subsets of the genre). I usually don't mind what kind of story it is as long as it's a good one, but I'm just slightly worried it's too otome, as that is how the game is being promoted. Any thoughts on that?

Silly question here.. but this has been described as primarily an otome game. I like the idea of a visual novel, as lately those games have been incredibly compelling and interesting for me to play (or subsets of the genre). I usually don't mind what kind of story it is as long as it's a good one, but I'm just slightly worried it's too otome, as that is how the game is being promoted. Any thoughts on that?

Yeah it's definitely an Otome type of Visual Novel. But even so, it does have some cool unplayable action scenes in it too with the Shinsengumi warriors. Hakuoki: Warriors of the Shinsengumi for PSP had actual gameplay in it. Here's how the PSP release of Demon of the Fleeting Blossom looks like [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qmdjccskDI]Hakuoki ~Demon of the Fleeting Blossom~ (Prologue) - YouTube[/ame]

• 4 weeks later...
Since it's just a port of the game America and Europe received on PSP and 3DS, it should just be a full Visual Novel. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Oh, that´s a shame...

I´ve got really excited when I saw the box art and that lovelly CE plus the game being described as "action" on this site.

Maybe I´m lacking a bunch of japanese DNA to like this kind of games. Only thing it can do is make me fall asleep in 10 minutes or less.

Oh, that´s a shame...

I´ve got really excited when I saw the box art and that lovelly CE plus the game being described as "action" on this site.

Maybe I´m lacking a bunch of japanese DNA to like this kind of games. Only thing it can do is make me fall asleep in 10 minutes or less.

Well there is Action, but the Action is told through the Story not by gameplay. Warriors of the Shinsengumi has gameplay though.

Limited Edition Delayed. Standard Edition is not.

Aksys Games announced on Thursday that it has postponed the release of the limited edition Hakuōki: Stories of the Shinsengumi (Hakuōki Junsouroku) PlayStation 3 game in North America to May 20. The company cites quality issues with one of the premium edition items as the reason for the delay. The limited edition will retail for US$59.99 and include the game, a traditional Japanese "omamori" love charm, a hair comb, a hair pin, and a premium box. The standard edition and PLAYSTATION Network version will still be released on May 6. The game originally shipped in Japan for the PS3 in June 2010.
Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi Limited Edition Delayed 2 Weeks - News - Anime News Network

I already pre-ordered my copy of the Collectors Edition on Amazon. Just one more week to go! Can't wait :D

Me too but if people aren't interested in having the hair combs and such 365games has just the regular version.

My first Hakuoki game was the vita one and I thought it was going to be sort of like Dynasty Warriors, at least the video I saw on youtube made it seem like it was.

So I played through using a guide and then found I was wondering wth is going on as my Japanese is limited to fire, ice, water, slay (you see where this is going). I kept wondering why all the guys I picked suddenly made me feel like Buffy the Vampire Slayer doing everything but slaying vampires and oops wait one ending I had a baby - huh? But he wasn't a vampire/demon or whatever.

Because I had no idea what was going on and now I will finally get to see what was happening although I don't think the game will live up to the wtf kind of bat crazy stuff is this that my confused little head tried to comprehend and without actually watching any of the anime. So I don't know what is going on - have to say the seemingly bad guy (was he bad?) that had blonde hair ended up being the one I thought was most interesting.

So chances are if you aren't in to romancing the boys and having butterflies or whatever they were dancing around their heads when you said something they liked, this game is probably not for you...then again you can play the Japanese version, especially if you don't speak Japanese...and not really know whats going on and in might work or it might not.

Strangely enough when I thought I was a guy romancing guys I found that rather interesting, although I'm female so not really sure what that says about me

• 3 weeks later...
I am hoping sales in North America are strong for this title cause it might show developers that there is a place for these types of games in the North America. Then again I got my copy thru Gamefly so I actually did nothing to help the cause:think:

It has already been proven to be successful in America since the PSP version. But that success has only brought in mostly Otome Visual Novels like more Hakuoki and even considerations for other Otome Visual Novels made by the same company. You could even say that this PS3 release came out to America because of the PSP version and the additional sales from the 3DS version. But it still seems like niche companies are still unsure if its ok to bring non-Otome Visual Novels. There's also that XBlaze, but that's mostly being released into America because its related to BlazBlue.