+ Offline: 12

+ Online: 0

+ Trophy Breakdown: 1 (G) 3 (S) 8 (B)

+ Approximate 100% time: 1-3 hours

+ Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1

+ Glitched/Missable trophies: Read the introduction for more info

+ Cheats: No Cheats

Introduction:

Gunstar Heroes is a side scrolling shooter on the Megadrive/Genesis platform released in 1993. The player has four weapons to choose from, and they can be combined in various pairs to create a total of 14 unique weapons. In addition to the weapons, the player can engage enemies in close quarters combat. It is possible to grab and toss enemies, perform sliding and jumping attacks and a long-range skid.

Personally this is one my favourite games of the era, I hope it still has some appeal in modern gaming!

Missable Trophy:

Crab Attack Trophy - The Seven Force Boss (Green) in The Underground Mine/Green's Stage. The boss has 7 different forms, on easy mode you fight a random selection of 3 bosses. On medium mode you fight 5 of the 7, so you have a better chance of facing Crab Force on this mode. If you don't get him retry the level. Although on Hard Mode you fight all seven forms of the boss it is more simple playing it on medium difficulty.

Additional tip from Lord Tony:

What I noticed is each transformation is at random. The easy way for me was playing this on easy mode. After blowing up the train save the game before you reach the boss. If the boss doesn't do the "crab attack" transformation just exit the game and load back again. Keep repeating this until you get the crab transformation. It's a hell of a lot less frustrating than hard mode.

When he does the crab transformation you should save at that point in case you die.

The image below shows the boss in question:

CoBJy97.jpg

The Guide:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/154/12.jpg Papaya Dance (B)

Defeat Papaya Dance in the Ancient Ruins.

Stand directly underneath the plant and fire upward to injure the bulb. Move to the sides if some of the bombs falling are about to hit you, and take out any Mother Ants that spawn.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/154/11.jpg Bravoo Man (B)

Defeat Bravoo Man in the Ancient Ruins.

The boss will mostly walk toward you and then attack, so wait at near the edge of the screen and fire away. When he gets close, jump against the screen edge and wall jump off to get over him. He will only attack you with the Spinning Driver and Dragon Punch when he gets close enough, so as you long as you wall jump over him you'll be fine.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/154/10.jpg Pink (B)

Defeat Pinky Roader in the Ancient Ruins.

This boss can be pretty tricky. The Hitman Shot has one of the minions on the arm and fires shoots at you from above. Concentrate on avoiding these first and attempt to get shots in at the machine itself to deal damage. The Iron Knuckle is a spike ball on the end of the arm that swings toward you; keep low and at a distance and you should be safe. The trouble with this boss is that it will slowly advance toward you and when you are cornered you'll have to move around it. While you can slide underneath the legs as it moves but if you get stuck underneath, then you are well open to attack and you cannot evade easily. So wall jump off and through the machine and hopefully you'll get through without loosing too much life.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/154/09.jpg Crab Attack (B)

Defeat Crab Force in the Underground Mine.

This is the red coloured boss that takes up a side of the screen. No lateral movement is required here, you just need to concentrate to realise what side of the screen you need to be on and jump between them at the right time. Look at the pincers to see what it's going to do next. The square blocks will extend outward across the screen, so get on the opposite side and stay there was it passes. The spheres will appear from both pincers, and require you to jump over them, the timing is fairly hard so either concentrate and do it right, or just jump and when you are over it jump again to the other side to avoid landing on one. It's final attack are enemy blasts, which will fire toward the opposite side of the screen so if it comes from the upper pincer, get to the upper side of the screen as it will bounce down.

Additional tip from Lord Tony:

What I noticed is each transformation is at random. The easy way for me was playing this on easy mode. After blowing up the train save the game before you reach the boss. If the boss doesn't do the "crab attack" transformation just exit the game and load back again. Keep repeating this until you get the crab transformation. It's a hell of a lot less frustrating than hard mode.

When he does the crab transformation you should save at that point in case you die.

(See Missable Trophies above)

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/154/08.jpg Not Quite Red (B)

Defeat Orange on the Flying Battleship.

A pretty tricky encounter, this. Keep your distance from Orange at all times as he will always try to advance toward you. Fire at him as does so and watch his various actions as a clue to what his action will be. If he holds up his arms and hows his biceps at you (face on) he will Hard Shoulder you, ie. rush toward you quickly. When he does this wait a second and jump toward him to counter this attack. When he holds up his arms and has his back more toward you then he will jump on the rotor of the plane and spin around; he will jump off and land on you in about 2-3 seconds so time it right so you can jump and attack him in the air. His other attack is to just jump at you, which he rarely does, especially if you keep your distance. If you fire at him constantly for a few seconds then he will get injured, flash and change move, so watch out for the change after hurting him.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/154/07.jpg OMG 11 Bosses (B)

Complete the Dice Palace and defeat Black Beat Stepper.

Roll the dice and move around the board to fight various small bosses before making your way to the end of level boss at the end of the board. Before each attack the boss will throw a dice, showing how many steps he will take. Whatever colour his left foot lands on will indicate what attack will take place. Here are tips to avoid each attack; remember to keep firing when you aren't dodging!

Red Fireball - This will go in a clockwise direction around the screen going from one red panel to the next. The easiest way to avoid this is to stand on one of the ledge extra sides, against the wall, as the fireball will just go past you. Obviously when he is climbing the wall you should go on the ledge that is on the opposite side.

Green Cutter -This is a laser that goes clockwise around each green panel. As each panel is somewhat central, standing in one of the bottom left or right corners will ensure you won't get hit by the laser.

Blue Cracker - Bombs will appear from the blue panels in each corner. Stand somewhere in the centre if you can, or on one of the ledges, to avoid the bombs.

Yellow Laser - Lasers will either travel up or down the screen. As the yellow panels are more or less central, standing in one of the bottom left or right corners will ensure you won't get hit by a laser.

Once you have taken down Black, avoid the first gem he throws as it's a fake and will explode. Shoot him so he gives you the real gem!

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/154/06.jpg Colonel Red (B)

Rescue Yellow by defeating Smash Daisaku.

The first phase isn't too tricky - the After Burner can be ducked under (you can tell when it's warming up when he stays at the edge of the screen for a second or two and has blue flames) and the rest is just Smash flying around dropping bombs, which are easy enough to avoid as long as you concentrate. Keep firing away until his vitality is gone, when you'll have to face him again in Melee mode, with a bit more life than before.

Like most melee battles, avoid getting near Smash. Keep firing as he advances to hinder his movement, and when you reach the corner wall jump over him and run opposite and repeat. When he jumps he will kick down to the ground with an outstretched foot, so keep your distance, and do not let him grapple and smash you as it knocks off a lot of health. At some point in the fight he will back away to the edge of the screen and whip a gun out; there are two different projectiles, both of which aren't easy to avoid. One is a twin set of fireballs which fluctuate up and down, just try and stand where both are furthest away. The second projectile is a homing fireball, which homes in late, so when it's half away across the screen jump and it will move up and miss as you drop back down again. Soon he'll resume his melee moves again. He takes a while as shooting him makes him flash pretty much every shot, but be persistent and just don't get stung by that grapple!

Edited by funkyweed
Updated main image + trophy icons

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/154/05.jpg Locked and Loaded (B)

Begin the game with each weapon.

Simply begin a game with each of the four weapons. As soon as the game starts just quit and start again with the next weapon.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/154/04.jpg Greedy Fly (S)

Defeat Black Fly.

Get some fire in before he flies up and wait for the Gambits to come down. These are spheres that fire a layer of fire in one place, so dodge them as they come down. They will either come down so they create a maze you have to wonder through (if this is the case identify this early on to enter and make your way through, if you get stuck at the side you will get burned) or come down in random fragments, which must be dodged or shot at to destroy. Now Black will do Shadow Hurricane which are three lasers revolving in a clockwise fashion. Use the platforms to the left side to head up and avoid the laser and jump across the boss itself to the other side and drop down underneath, and repeat, firing at the boss all the while. He'll just do this until he's a beaten.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/154/03.jpg O Brother (S)

Defeat Green.

At the start he'll just block any fire you throw at him, so hang from the above ledge and spray at him to injure him. He'll change level and shield again so keep hanging and firing until he changes. He will either stand at the edge and throw stars across the screen or advance toward you. When he throws stars, get to the other layer and wait until he's finished. When he advances toward you, stay away and dive if you need to and retreat to the other layer and fire. He'll just resort between those two methods of attack for the remainder of the battle.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/154/02.jpg Golden Silver (S)

Defeat superboss Golden Silver.

This guy is very tough, a suitable last battle. First of all, you get a choice of four random items (one of which could health) each time you do this battle (if you die and restart that is) which is pretty handy. The main thing about this boss is that the gems control Golden Silver; GS himself is invincible, and so you should direct any fire toward the gems. I find the best weapon combo involves a homing gun, the key with this boss is avoiding the attacks will still damaging the gems.

Keep shooting the gems until Golden Silver appears and drops down. He doesn't actually do anything for a short while, so you can knock his health. However he will advance at this point, and any attacks will deal a lot of damage. His Golden Blast Nuclear attack are small explosions just away from his position, which can be dodged if you stand between his hand and the explosions, but is pretty tricky to pull off, so just stay away. The Earth Resolver is where he pounds the ground and causes a shockwave, which can be easily leaped; just watch his arm furthest away and if it moves down you know another wave is due. He can also disappear for a second or two, and when he does, quickly get to the side of the screen and wall jump and dive so when he appears you won't get hurt. He'll also charge across the screen very quickly at you, which is near impossible to avoid especially when close. At other times he will just stand still, so concentrate fire on the gems.

Once you manage to knock his health below the 4000ish mark, Golden Silver will take a backseat and the gems will kick in and do various attacks:

Red Gem - It will hover left to right and have a flame whip going in a circle. Basically follow the same direction and walk either side as it goes round. It will turn around at the wall, so just avoid it again. Be sure you give yourself enough room to maneuver.

Yellow Gem - A continuous torrent of projectiles across the screen. Just duck down to dodge it all and then fire at the gem for a few moments to make it revert to the top and to switch with

another.

Blue Gem - Hovers above toward your position and when it's over you will fire down a laser. Just move out of the way as it comes to you and it'll miss easily, then fire at the other gyms while you wait for it to stop and chase you again.

Green Gem - Fires homing projectiles. Get as far away as possible and as a projectile comes toward you it would have stopped homing in by the time you jump to avoid it. If you are too close

you won't be able to move out of the way in time.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/154/01.jpg Complete The Game (G)

Play through the final scene of Gunstar Heroes.

After you've defeated the last boss sit back and enjoy the fantastic ending :)

Video Help:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWfHOfjtcdw]YouTube - Gunstar Heroes - Fullplay - Sega Genesis[/ame]

Credits:

Guide created by funkyweed. Some tips taken from posts by; mendel_skimmel. Thanks.

Any questions or additions PM myself or other ps3trophies.org staff.

Edited by funkyweed
Updated main image + trophy icons

Excellent guide. Haven't got the game yet but I'm getting it soon.

Just one problem, is there supposed to be a pic of the Crab boss? I don't see it.

Also, any idea at which point does the game randomly select which forms the boss will take? So if I save just before the boss and load the game there multiple times, will it always take the same forms or is it random?

I don't know how long you have to play for to get to it from the beginning but it seems to me this would be the best way to get that trophy (on easy) if it's random every time. Just keep loading the savegame until it appears.

Anyone tried this?

Hmmm, thats strange the picture of the crab boss is there, it is visible to me. I'll check the coding for it, but I can't see any real reason why it isn't visible to you. Can you see the banner at the top of the guide, or user's sigs?

Unfortunatley the boss switching pattern is set when you start the level. I tried re-loading a save when the crab boss didn't emerge myself. It takes around 5mins to reach the boss, I found the crab boss to appear as the 4th or 5th boss of the selection on medium difficulty.

Nope, can't see a banner either. Pictures in sigs are visible to me though.

How about now? If you can see it now it has just dawned on me, and would explain why my pictures were not visible to some user's. I think it was due to having them stored in a private album on here. If it's working now that is a result!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...