XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > >

Old 03-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #291
BreadSkin
Super Moderator

Awards Showcase Lab's THL Season 6 - Olsen's Secret List   First PS4 Game Nights   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   Word of Mouth - Platinum   THL Season 4 - Big Ol' Pile of Platinums   Almost Golden   Staff - Super Moderator   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Guide Supplement Bronze   Bright Idea!
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kargorath View Post
Hey, I checked the very thorough guide guidelines (!) but didn't find an answer to a question I had. So, is there anyway to find out if someone is already working on a guide? For example I wouldn't want to start writing a guide only to find out someone had started 10 days before me and I wouldn't stand a chance of getting mine submitted.

Plus, I don't get any advanced copies of games, I'm just a simple, humble buyer of games on release date, does this seriously hinder any chance I have of getting a guide together in time?

I've been a member of this community for a while now and used so many people's guides to help finish games and I thought it was time I contributed to the community
The short answer is, nope.

Anyone is free to challenge a guide whenever; competing against someone else who's also just posted their guide, writing a guide even if one there's one already stickied (where the new guide would only replace the stickied one if its significantly better), and so forth. The reason we do this is simple, to ensure the site has the best guide for each game as possible.

It's in the FAQ somewhere, I'm sure.
BreadSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #292
mjc0961

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth - Silver   Beat the Muff   Killzone: Mercenary Game Night Award   First PS4 Game Nights   Community Gaming Event Platinum   Guide Supplement Silver   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Gold  Road Map Submitter   15,000 Posts   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   LittleBigPlanet Winter Wonderland, Third Place
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)

Unless the authors announce it, no, you won't know if anyone else is writing a guide. But don't worry about it if they are. Your goal is to write a great guide, not the first guide. Even if you post yours second, if yours is better, yours will be stuck.

Two tips to help you start off with writing guides:
1. Try to find a small PSN game or two to start off with. It's usually easier to write a guide for 12 trophies than it is for 40-50. And in the event that you do have competition, it's probably less time you put in to write it than you would have for a guide 3-4 times larger, so that should help it sting a bit less.

2. Listen to feedback from other members using your guide. If they offer alternate suggestions for getting a trophy, check them out yourself (you can play the game fresh by creating a new user on your PS3, and then earn all the trophies again to test. great way to verify any suggested strategies) and if they work, add them to the guide and give them credit for it. And if anyone offers constructive criticism, take the time to read over it and listen to it if possible. Basically, the end-game here is that you should never be one of those people who responds to suggestions or feedback with "if you don't like my guide, feel free to write your own". Those people come off as terrible guide authors (to me anyway), and more importantly, you never know when someone you tell that to will take you up on that offer and end up creating a better guide that gets stickied over yours.

That's my 2 cents on it anyway. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sterling
Tattooing the name "PS Vita" on my unimpressive penis would be more promotion than what Sony's given the system.
mjc0961 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #293
drummersc007

Send a message via Skype™ to drummersc007

Awards Showcase Bright Idea!   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   2,500 Posts   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Community Gaming Event Bronze   I Beat the Staff Too!!!!   Word of Mouth - Bronze
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)

This helped a lot. Thanks!
drummersc007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #294
Bridget

I'd like to write a guide eventually.

Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #295
blackfalc0n
Banned

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Community Gaming Event Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)

I think it should be mentioned that you shouldn't say things like 'practise makes perfect', 'just do this'. It's been seen in too many guides and it's really unhelpful. I'm not saying I haven't done it, I have before, but to avoid more bad trophy guides you should mention it.
blackfalc0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #296
Lurkki91

Awards Showcase THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   Community Gaming Event Gold   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendel View Post
Step 3: Highlight the trophy list with your mouse. You will end up selecting the tile, name, description, weight and comment bubble for each. Copy your selection.
Oh dear I didnt read this fully and copied every trophy image as its own picture and wrote all the names letter by letter.. There was an easy way after all.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #297
tuffmuff

Send a message via AIM to tuffmuff Send a message via MSN to tuffmuff

Awards Showcase Tuff's Muff Licker List   Guide Supplement Bronze   Bronzer Than Nothing   THL Season 1 - Close But No Cigar   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   Helping Hand   Community Gaming Event Platinum   Member of the Month Winner   Silver Road Map Submitter   SOTM Winner   Gold Trophy Guide Submitter   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkki91 View Post
Oh dear I didnt read this fully and copied every trophy image as its own picture and wrote all the names letter by letter.. There was an easy way after all.
Though the method in the FAQ seems easier - it's kind of complicated. If you're comfortable with the manual method that you used then I'd stick with it. It's how I do my guides also. I write everything out myself.

tuffmuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #298
DXSilverX
Banned

Thumbs up Amazing

Great information once again.
DXSilverX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #299
Terminator
Guide Team

Awards Showcase Gold  Road Map Submitter   Word of Mouth - Bronze   Community Gaming Event Gold   Maximum Clubs Top 5   25,000 Posts   A+ Thread Award   Silver Submission   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Gold Trophy Guide Submitter   Staff - Guide Team   Helping Hand   Member of the Month Winner
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffmuff View Post
Though the method in the FAQ seems easier - it's kind of complicated. If you're comfortable with the manual method that you used then I'd stick with it. It's how I do my guides also. I write everything out myself.
I find the easiest way to get the Trophy tiles into a guide is to copy the Tile URL and use the "Insert Image" option, no fuss, no mess .
I DON'T Save File/Account Share/Sell any part of my account nor do Trophies for people. If you wish to play with me then do not use hacked characters, items, servers or lobbies as I run a clean game. No blank Friend Requests please as they will be deleted.

Credit to prozendaal for the Legofied avatar.

Want to write a Guide and/or Guide Supplement? Then see the threads here: Guide Central. Guide co-op partners can be found here: Collaboration group

MY MAINTAINED THREADS
Terminator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #300
Harry94_
Events Director

Send a message via Skype™ to Harry94_

Awards Showcase Community Gaming Event Platinum   Guide Supplement Silver   THL Season 6 - Olsen's Secret List   Killzone: Mercenary Game Night Award   First PS4 Game Nights   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   THL Season 4 - Big Ol' Pile of Platinums   Bronzer Than Nothing   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Platinum Road Map Submitter   THL Season 3 Champions - Sharks With Laser Beams
Total Awards: 24 (more» ...)

For my guides, I individually put each image in the guide. I write all the text out and right click the images, properties, then copy the URL into the guide

EDIT: Sometimes, like with my WipEout guide. You can get the image URL then just change the last three numbers to move to the next trophy. E.G, the platinum is 000 and that's the first one. The next is 001, and so on.

Sig and Avatar by RED_REBEL44

Last edited by Harry94_; 04-13-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Harry94_ is online now   Reply With Quote