is this game any good?

burntt0ad

from what i've seen it looks like another racing game but is it any different from the others? is it fun and enjoyable? or does the ai cheat and the game feels like shit? i've only played 2 racing games *shift 2 unleashed and blur* and i barely got any trophies for those games. is this one any different and maybe easy? i don't want to download this game get 3-4 trophies then delete it.

In my opinion, it is rubbish. Same old Codemasters racing game. Same old gameplay format, same old hazy graphics, same old tricks (here, race the same track three times in a row to pad it out), framerate frequently drops to about 10, it continues CM's obsession with drifting (I'm not a 13 year old boy thank you) and online is truly awful.

And the same old online collision reset problem too: I've just been in three races in a row which had 8-10 car pile ups in the first corner (get used to it). In each race I was immediately reset to track - in tenth place, about 300 metres from ninth place (wtf?). Yeah, thanks a lot Codemasters: am I in an alternate universe from the rest of the competitors or something?

Only playing it thanks to PS+.

In my opinion, it is rubbish. Same old Codemasters racing game. Same old gameplay format, same old hazy graphics, same old tricks (here, race the same track three times in a row to pad it out), framerate frequently drops to about 10, it continues CM's obsession with drifting (I'm not a 13 year old boy thank you) and online is truly awful.

And the same old online collision reset problem too: I've just been in three races in a row which had 8-10 car pile ups in the first corner (get used to it). In each race I was immediately reset to track - in tenth place, about 300 metres from ninth place (wtf?). Yeah, thanks a lot Codemasters: am I in an alternate universe from the rest of the competitors or something?

Only playing it thanks to PS+.

mhm..guess i'll stay away from it then. i never really liked racing games. especially with the whole ai cheating bullshit. like you're in first and the guy from 5th manages to go into first. and he's ahead of you by 200 feet. typical racing games..

The game is easy enough, if you set the difficulty to very easy you won't have to worry about cheap AI because you'll be so far ahead:p. Personally I'm not a fan of it because it seems as if it forces you to drift every corner, which wouldn't be so bad if the drifting didn't feel so stiff and artificial. If your a fan of sliding around corners though I guess it could be fun. To earn a decent amount of the trophies though you're going to have to play it for at least 15-20 hours so depending on your attention span/dedication it could be another trophy-less racer for you.

I actually enjoyed both campaign and online a lot. It's almost pure arcade though.

Then again, if the game involves racing i will like it most likely, but for me this was in the best third of recently published racers. Nothing groundbreaking, but pretty enjoyable if you try to enjoy it for what it is.

... not that I am saying that the disappointed players are not to be believed. It must have hit a sour note for some I guess...

I have been meaning to get my fix on a racing (track) game after finally having 100% Shift 2: Unleashed several months back. The NFS titles that followed (The Run, Most Wanted) were (sorta) fun but didn't give me the same rush I had with Slightly Mad Studio's NFS: Shift and Shift 2: Unleashed. Grid 2 would be my first racing circuit game since and I am very much enjoying it.

Like what someone here said, play it on easy (or very easy if you like) if you just want to have a bit of fun. Trophies (apart from one) aren't affected by it. I would leave 10-25 second gap from the second placer after each race. I may be at the 2nd Season for WRC but I think it would be the same for the whole game. Online may not be as good as some would put it (and I still have to jump in myself) but I think it is very much doable. Not that there is a King of the Hill type of trophy here, only thing you have to watch out i guess is the (somewhat) glitchy Dominator trophy - but even that has a workaround...

I loved the Shift series but this one is different in a good way. There seems to be a story to follow, not just racing blind and winning it all. I too had apprehensions at first, but the better part of me convinced me to take the plunge. So far... I'm glad I did.

I find the rewind system the ultimate "rage damper" as you no longer get the frustration of having to start the race again. Unlike the Shift series, restarts here are instant anyway - no waiting/loading times, so even that is a plus. In this game, the :triangle: is your best friend.

The OP having mentioned about not finishing Blur and Shift 2... I believe this game is a lot easier and more flexible if not very forgiving for making mistakes. There is NO race line like other racing games BUT after a few trips around the track, you'll get used to it. I haven't finished the game yet - just in the process of getting things done myself but I would like to believe that my stance on this game wouldn't change... at least for the platinum.

Customisations compared to Shift, especially the liveries may not be as flexible as I would have wanted though... but we're here to race and win so that can be placed in the back burner since you'll either be viewing the car from behind or from the bonnet. I give Codemasters multiple brownie points for including the bonnet/hood cam as it's the only way I race in a game.

Side rant: Shame on EA/Criterion/Ghost for being lazy ass bitches (LABs) on refusing to add a bonnet/hood camera in their games after NFS: Hot Pursuit. Not like they were going to do a much more complicated cam view like Slightly Mad Studio's cockpit cam and the much more realistic helmet cam.

Edited by Naps

... RETARDED!

The first secret trophy glitched on me, my first glitched trophy ever! Second, the "finish a race within a specific time" trophies are uber insane... I'm always short for about 6-9 seconds (offline) even on the Mclaren...

Come on PS3T, weren't you guys the ones who thought about the trophies and suggested them to Codemasters? I mean, day in and day out, you do get to read the frustration of most gamers on how much these kind of trophies suck. Tsk! Should have known better :whistle:

So message to burntt0ad, it's your call mate :think: and yes, I am aware I have just contradicted myself with regards to my earlier comment...

Edited by Naps

No, this game is utter shit.

I spent 15 minutes on the first race trying to figure out why the rear was kicking out so easily. Eventually I figured, hey, maybe because this isn't real life where I can feel the fear and all that scary stuff, I might be accelerating too much and actually causing the rear to kick it. Entered in a corner wider than your typical 30km/h highway ramp at 100km/h, did all the braking before entering, slightly tap the gas and slowly push down until the apex, then I floored it on the apex. Car spins out.

The physics in this game are COMPLETELY wrong. It's as if every corner has a magical oil spill the second you attempt to gas out of the apex.

I spent 15 minutes on the first race trying to figure out why the rear was kicking out so easily. Eventually I figured, hey, maybe because this isn't real life where I can feel the fear and all that scary stuff, I might be accelerating too much and actually causing the rear to kick it. Entered in a corner wider than your typical 30km/h highway ramp at 100km/h, did all the braking before entering, slightly tap the gas and slowly push down until the apex, then I floored it on the apex. Car spins out.

The physics in this game are COMPLETELY wrong. It's as if every corner has a magical oil spill the second you attempt to gas out of the apex.

You have to go sideways to go faster in this game. Tbh, offline is shit and boring, especially after Season 3. Online is fun with a friend if you don't take it seriously.

Codemasters have lost the plot with racing games the last few years

You have to go sideways to go faster in this game. Tbh, offline is shit and boring, especially after Season 3. Online is fun with a friend if you don't take it seriously.

Codemasters have lost the plot with racing games the last few years

I figured but I can't play arcade racers anymore because I race motorcycles in real life (I wouldn't mind doing cars either but $$$). It makes absolutely no sense that a car with more traction (4 wheels) and less acceleration than my motorcycle would spin out of the apex on wide open throttle.

Sorry if I seem abrasive, I'm just very disappointed =( I even had my wheel setup and everything.

You summed up my thoughts completely. I actually like arcade racers more than sims, but this one is trash even by arcade racer standards. Even for a game that puts an emphasis on cornering sideways, the physics are terrible. I'd rather play 20 year old Daytona USA than this. I played through the first race and promptly deleted the game.

... and I don't think it's a good thing... maybe it means either people stayed away from this game or no one bothered to finish it... however, having jumped in the game I have no choice but to carry-on. I need to 100% this...

You'd be surprised how many easy/fun (P)'s that are "Ultra Rare" according to the Playstation app. Amongst the trophy community it is only "very rare".

7.39% to 7.9% of game owners has the platinum according to PSNP/PSNTL

You'd be surprised how many easy/fun (P)'s that are "Ultra Rare" according to the Playstation app. Amongst the trophy community it is only "very rare".

7.39% to 7.9% of game owners has the platinum according to PSNP/PSNTL

It just seems that for some reason many trophy hunters give up easier on racers. Most racers within 5-10% platinum rate range (PSNP %) are actually pretty easy to plat (judging by my own experience but the platinum difficulty rating threads as well). Same can't be said for most other genres.

I Dont think the game is that bad, in fact i believe it is pretty decent , it doesnt reinvent the wheel but it also doesnt leave a bad taste in your mouth

The only negative apreciation so far is the abusive drifting in cars .. the ones with RWD are just insane...

Eitherway i might compare this to NFS Shift ...

An arcade game trying to simulate driving a bit

I Dont think the game is that bad, in fact i believe it is pretty decent , it doesnt reinvent the wheel but it also doesnt leave a bad taste in your mouth

The only negative apreciation so far is the abusive drifting in cars .. the ones with RWD are just insane...

Eitherway i might compare this to NFS Shift ...

An arcade game trying to simulate driving a bit

The beginning race has you use, what looks like, a rear wheel drive American muscle car. It has four wheels and less acceleration than my GSXR750 in real life but, somehow, will spin out when exiting out of the apex at full throttle at an apex speed slower than I do coming out of highway ramps. I don't see myself high siding off my motorcycle from exiting wide open throttle irl (again, 2 wheels has less traction).

There is no simulation in this game, period. They tried to abuse "drifting" and made it as if there is no downforce whatsoever when you leave a corner. The developers who made this game should NEVER make another racing game. Shift was an arcade racer with very forgiving physics. This is just a backwards mess that tried to make drifting easier and ignoring everything about traction.

This post is very helpful, I just downloaded it but having played it yet. still debating on it.:confused:

It's not a bad racer, by all means. But it's not a top notch racer either. And I struggled quite a bit with the Global Domination trophy, and also I'm seing two of my friends are struggling to get the rival trophy down. I'm trying to help out on the web app, but the whole package is just messed up. Glitchfest.

Also the fact that you have to pay €18.35 in order to get the 100% after getting the plat is... Well, I'd rather not write how I think about that...