Does anyone else find combat in this game to be nearly impossible?

RichardFrost

No one else mentions this, so I feel like I'm the only one to have problems fighting enemies in this game. Ground based enemies are bad enough, since you have to somehow get behind them and do a weak little jump kick three or four times, but aerial enemies are just maddening. My gravity kick connects maybe 25% of the time. The rest of the time they turn just before I hit, and instead of hitting their shiny weak point I just slide off of them and go whizzing into the distance. Trying to pitch junk at them is a lost cause, since there's too little junk to throw and every time I do manage to find something to throw, I instead manage to hit one of the many lampposts and fences instead. I can't even get bronze medals on the time attack challenges. What's the secret here?

99.9% of my combat consisted of gravity kicks. Never bothered with throwing objects unless mission required or ground combat. Gravity kicks not connecting on first attempt is just something I learned to tolerate/anticipated. Only seems to be issue with the wasp shaped navis, as well as those one's that require 2 hits, but they zigzag and sheet... Everything else are easy targets.

As for challenges, I didn't bother doing them till completely finishing the story. By that time the stats that mattered to me were maxed, so everything combat related was a breeze.

Edited by SirScotalot

I liked the combat, it was very simple and easy to use. I liked getting on the ground and kicking the nevis to death over using gravity kicks. It made it more enjoyable then just flying around kicking ground enemies. When you are doing gravity kicks, you shouldn't have that hard of a time doing them because it homes onto the target. Just make sure you have a good vantage point to kick from...usually from directly above, and the game will do the rest.

I don't find it impossible, but I'm certainly not loving the combat system. I sigh every time I have to fight a boss or a lot of Nevis, and this game doesn't really consist of short levels with just a few enemies... A shame, 'cause it's a pretty great and innovative game, I think.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, the combat is tricky, but only when you're dealing with bosses.

The normal Nevi die pretty quickly, but you have to fight them in a particular way. When you Gravity kick a Nevi, aim for the red dot(s). Once you hit them, click the right shoulder to stop, re-aim at the red dot and hit :square:, you'll bounce off, rinse and repeat. If you practice enough, you'll kill them with a single offensive.

With bosses, remember, they never replenish their health, so you can take time, always looks for health gems so you don't get low, and run if you have to. I found the spiral attack :triangle: takes alot of their health. But the key is take the time to strategically attack, heal, attack. Trying to go on a full-out offensive is only going to mean you'll re-start the battle.

Edit: The mission based combat is a real pain, but after doing the "Auldnoir Throwing Challenge" about 50 times, you start to learn where the Nevi are, what type and how many times you need to hit them to kill them. The first challenge I tried was the "Boutoume Time Attack". At first, it seemed to be impossible to get gold, but persistence pays out and eventually you will learn the pattern and get gold. Also, on the Time Attacks, Gravity Typhoon is perfect for larger groups or the flying dragon. If you launch it without getting hit, you can kill it outright. Just don't give up. I now have 12 of 20 golds and ready to tackle the last 8.

Edited by RSheb

• 4 weeks later...

I always figured that enemies turning around was just their way of defense, since with most them it only takes a good hit or two to take them down (at least where I'm at, only on episode 8). It can get annoying when I actually miss several kicks in a row, but that's usually my fault for being too hasty. :p

I wouldn't say the combat is impossible but it's very disorientating. I can never play for more than a hour a time cos it just gives me a headache.

This is something that I've noticed as well. After an hour or two of playing, I find that I'm a bit dizzy and have a headache. It sucks too because I'm actually really enjoying this game, I'd love to play it more often. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Horrible controls. Horrible camera angle. Horrible combat. Horrible Game.

If I wasn't trying to get my completion rate up, I wouldn't even be bothering to come back to it. Trying to kill this boss with three heads is impossible.

You forgot horrible load times ;)

But yeah, I agree with all of the above as well. Game is awful!

• 2 months later...

I love the air combat style, because I'm tired of take cover shooting mechanics.

Reducing the motion sensitivity in settings will prevent the annoying tilt.

Many people says there should be auto-target, but in fact there is - when you aim gravity kick or stasis filed, if the blue reticule is just slightly overlapping enemy week spots it will auto-aim. This makes things a lot more easier.

I rarely bothered with normal kicks, but throwing objects is a fun and with upgraded stasis you can carry 3-4 projectiles at once. I beat two of the secret bosses by just throwing rocks at them.

In Rift Plane Mirage you can throw some really large boulders :)

And if you explore to collect gems upgraded special powers will make the game piece of cake.

The only enemy I had serious problems with was Alias.

I hope they add more air combat techniques in the sequel.

• 3 weeks later...

I just started Playing this, and so far the Combat is horrible. The camera always seems to be off place, and shifting then trying to make the target is horrible. Nice Story and Visually is looks great. Not sure if this will be a feature, but a lock on target would have been nice.

Generally when it comes to the motion controls, I only recommend using them for small corrections. By and large the right stick should be used for camera control and the gyroscope should be used for aiming after you've got your target on-screen (think of the gyroscope as aiming down your sights in a shooter.)

Gravity Kicks can be frustrating sometimes, when enemies have the capability to dodge, but always keep in mind that you can steer the kicks like any other move, and the autoaim will help you out a bit.

I think the most important tip I have though, is to use the dodge as more than just an evasive maneuver. The dodge can quickly help you reorient yourself in combat; if you ever fly too close to an enemy and are having a hard time tracking them, just back-dodge a couple times to get more of them on-screen, or dodge in a single direction a couple times and flip the camera around. Honestly, changing the direction of gravity in combat is often a waste of time considering that gravity kicks accomplish the same goal. Also keep in mind that while on the ground you can still steer Kat during attacks, so you don't necessarily have to face the camera to the enemy then, you can just attack backwards in the air.

While kick combos are your more powerful option on the ground, never underestimate the drop kick's ability to stun enemies (I'm referring to the move that makes Kat flip around in the air, if I remember right you perform it by kicking while ascending in a jump.) It's very useful for enemies that move around a lot, and can be more powerful than the early kick combos if you put all your gems into other stats. It brings Kat back to the ground quickly, so it can be repeated often, and is great for breaking shells off of enemies.

Edited by Taiyz

• 1 month later...

I know it's not perfect but I thought this was a not too bad little game it's better than the ones you made. Yeah it's a bit awkward with the disorientation at times but that's just part of the idea they tell you that much. combat is a bit annoying but once your levelled up you can boss it through no problem and if you've done the challenges which force you to learn to get better you'll have no problems at all.

• 1 month later...

I've had this on my PS+ for ages now and finally got around to playing it. Have just completed all the chapters, so thought I'd comment.

After reading some amazing reviews, I was expecting great things.

I like the 'overall' game - setting, wider story, art etc etc. I also like how you move around the city.

However, I agree, the combat sucks. It's just so frustrating. I got through with the gravity kick and claw thingy. The claw was a saviour of ending the frustration of trying to orientate and line up a connecting gravity kick.

The Vita tilting controls are awful, they just get in the way, and I am finding it very off putting on some of the challenges.

I found the story way to Japanese for my tastes in that it was difficult to follow the dialogue and overall plot for large chunks of the game. I often find this with Japanese games however, so I do blame myself...but glad others have mentioned it here too.

• 1 year later...

I've just finished the story mode and I'm tidying up stuff now.

The combat was far from perfect but it was OK for me. Sometimes I didn't really feel like I was in control of what I was doing and it would have been nice to have something on the screen ti show you which way was up.

Hopefully it's something they'll improve for the sequel.:)

• 3 weeks later...

I've finished the campaign and am on cleanup, and I have to agree the controls on this can at times be really bad. The lock is a 50/50 gamble pretty much (you need to get in prettyclose), and my god when the camera starts spinning around on its own you just have no idea where you or your enemies are. The concept is good but the execution is not.

That being said I do like the game - hopefully improvements will be made on the controls in any sequel(s). They take time to get the hang of, and patience is key - but I find at a lot of crucial times I end up spinning off in wild directions and it just feels like you have no control.

Edited by Randall Flagg

I've finished the campaign and am on cleanup, and I have to agree the controls on this can at times be really bad. The lock is a 50/50 gamble pretty much (you need to get in prettyclose), and my god when the camera starts spinning around on its own you just have no idea where you or your enemies are. The concept is good but the execution is not.

That being said I do like the game - hopefully improvements will be made on the controls in any sequel(s). They take time to get the hang of, and patience is key - but I find at a lot of crucial times I end up spinning off in wild directions and it just feels like you have no control.

This is pretty much exactly what I feel, I really enjoyed it but it got really frustrating at times.

I'll definitely be getting the sequel at some point but there are a couple of things that need to be tidied up to make it what it could be. Hopefully with it being developed directly for PS4 will give them will help them do this.

This is pretty much exactly what I feel, I really enjoyed it but it got really frustrating at times.

I'll definitely be getting the sequel at some point but there are a couple of things that need to be tidied up to make it what it could be. Hopefully with it being developed directly for PS4 will give them will help them do this.

A couple of things I think would really help are 1) a button for a 180 degree quick turn, and 2) a little jump when going into gravity shifting, to get you off the ground a bit when you first launch. So many times I was behind some little obstruction and had to shift up for a split second, reorient, and shift again. Maybe incorporate that into the upgrade system or something.