Hard time getting gold medals

JSD1985

Hi there!

I'm having a lot of fun playing Gravity Rush. However, I have a really hard time with getting gold medals in the challenge missions. I hate time trials and the controls are not precise enough in the challenge missions.

Does anyone has a few tips how to get the gold medals?

greetz,

JSD1985

I waited until I was done with the game. That meant that most my stats were maxed out. I suggest to play it a couple times to figure out what the objective is, and how to start cutting corners to reach them. Then learn what tactic advantages the upgrades give you (like it took me forever to realize how fast you actually are sliding, and how good the picking up mechanic is). After you realize those things in the first two or three trials, you will beast mode the later trials

I don't have anywhere near all challenges gold, some I had a lot of trouble with when I first tried them. I always knocked them out, at least for a bronze, as soon as they were available. Like it was mentioned, the best method is practice, make a note of where you make mistakes, and learn from them. The hardest challenge is probably the boat race, and there are a couple tips about it in another topic.

That said, my biggest issue with challenges is the lack of a "Retry" option or something. Doing some of the gravity slide races or even regular races, I knew where my times should be at certain points, and when I knew I wouldn't make it, I had no choice but to either waste my time finishing anyways or quit then try again. With the load times, though, it's a pain sometimes if you know you have something down but mess up for some stupid reason. Best example of that is one of the rift gravity slide races, with the mushrooms. More than once hitting a mushroom at a strange angle would bounce me off the track and waste 5+ seconds of flying before resetting on the track.

• 1 month later...

The only Challenge Mission I have left to get a Gold on in the entire game is "Vendecentre Airboat Race". In the core game, this is by far the hardest Challenge Mission. The ridiculous time of 1:30 is all I need to finally get the Platinum. After playing it about 50 damn times though, I finally decided to just play some other games and come back to it later... it's that frickin' hard. The closest I got was 1:31, and I had to refrain from throwing my Vita. I'm sure I'll get it soon enough though. Luckily, there are all sorts of tactics if you search around online for all the other Challenge Missions, but this really seems to be the only one that requires gargantuan amounts of luck and brutal tweeker speed.

My advice is to focus on one type of mission (whatever you find easiest) then do all of those from the easiest to the hardest. It gets you to learn that skill well and makes you remember how it works well before switching to another.

Second, is to learn how to use the sliding before trying the time trials. (i.e. do the sliding races first). You can use sliding in the time trials and it helps quite a bit. You don't need to be perfect but you need to learn to let go a bit before getting to the checkpoint so you slide to it then can start in a new direction and sometimes you can slide through them if it's a gentle curve.

I was never able to turn quick enough to make the sharp corners so sliding into a checkpoint then moving the camera and starting again was much faster than overshooting it.

Also, make sure to upgrade the needed skills to max before doing that set of challenges.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am having a really hard time with the sliding controls, which is making the game almost unplayable and gold medal acquiring impossible . Whenever I use sliding, the character turns or stops by herself. Sometimes she even climbs (while sliding) walls, rails etc.

The Vita motion controls are working flawlessly on every other game except this, and only during sliding.

Anyone else has the same problem?

• 3 weeks later...

Am I the only one who has been getting gold medals in challenges as I unlock them?

Anyways the combat challenges are the easiest so start with those, for the races if it's a free/air race turn the sensitivity down to min and use the analogue (normal tilting the vita was screwing up my re-positioning in the race because it controls camera while in the air) but make sure to turn it back for the sliding races, and in the sliding races don't be afraid to stop and then restart slide, it's almost needed in the ones I have done.

Also you don't need to be precise in your initial launch the left analogue lets you move yourself a little in any direction you need and you can always just double tap R to re-position mid air (you lose next to no time) or hit square again to re-position a kick (you are going faster so it might not work out but usually worth a try.

I am having a really hard time with the sliding controls, which is making the game almost unplayable and gold medal acquiring impossible . Whenever I use sliding, the character turns or stops by herself. Sometimes she even climbs (while sliding) walls, rails etc.

The Vita motion controls are working flawlessly on every other game except this, and only during sliding.

Anyone else has the same problem?

By climb do you mean jump? Or go on a wall sideways? I haven't experienced any climbing she destroys railings and stuff while sliding, you can get stuck though.

You have to hold the screen with both thumbs, if she's stopping maybe you are tapping the l button by accident or taking one finger off or something, as for turning on her own you are probably just not holding it right or have the sensitivity too high, you can adjust it under start/options.

Edited by Stalemate666

I'm only at a point where I've tried a couple of them, but I have to say that the controls seem nowhere near precise enough to be able to earn the gold medals. I'm guessing there's some trick to it though, as the platinum does have a fairly high rate of being earned.

Turn motion control all the way down. The motion control moves the camera and really messes you up if you are using the second analogue to aim, even if you are holding it relatively still. Downside is you need motion control for gravity slide.

Turn motion control all the way down. The motion control moves the camera and really messes you up if you are using the second analogue to aim, even if you are holding it relatively still. Downside is you need motion control for gravity slide.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. It helped quite a bit. I found sliding to be problematic no matter what. I was able to do everything without too much trouble at least.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. It helped quite a bit. I found sliding to be problematic no matter what. I was able to do everything without too much trouble at least.

Slide races are usually really forgiving, just remember L puts you to a dead stop so if you just miss a turn or checkpoint hit it and run back and taking one finger off the screen slows you right down.

i did each challenge as they unlocked to at least get bronze

now i just have mission 20 & 21 to do and i just went and pretty easily got silver & gold on all of the challenges that i hadn't before.

all my stats are maxxed out for the mission i am at & i have over 10,000 gems to spend once the next set of upgrades unlock.

pretty easy challenges once you are almost fully maxxed out

the only issue was the slow ass loading times when u have to retry.

should get plat. tonight.

Edited by dh4645

Finish all the main missions first so most of your gravity powers are high/max out. And use the road map/game guide in this link

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/gravity-rush/181634-gravity-rush-trophy-guide-road-map.html#post3252567

The walk-through for each challenge is very helpful.

And for the air boat race my tip is to max out your shifting speed and press and hold :cross: every time you change gravity to increase your falling speed and get better times on the race. By doing this I was able to gold this challenge in 2 tries.

Good luck!! :thumbsup:

Finish all the main missions first so most of your gravity powers are high/max out. And use the road map/game guide in this link

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/gravity-rush/181634-gravity-rush-trophy-guide-road-map.html#post3252567

The walk-through for each challenge is very helpful.

And for the air boat race my tip is to max out your shifting speed and press and hold :cross: every time you change gravity to increase your falling speed and get better times on the race. By doing this I was able to gold this challenge in 2 tries.

Good luck!! :thumbsup:

i totally forgot about hitting "X" to fall faster, since i thought it just worked when u were actually falling, so i never used it during the main game and didnt have any issues beating any challenges.

first time i realized i needed it (and how to use it) was in the first DLC race against that snakerabbit gang member where his buddies tried to sabotage u. ha

• 2 months later...

I havent been putting enough effort in this game to go for platinum , just missing the manhole / misterious couple and the challenges trophies, as for the challenges i am doing lousy results. Only one gold medal in about 10 challenges.. havent tried that hard too, but this game is making me noxious, the camera upside down, not knowing where to turn... i dont know, is there way that kat is always standing straight while floating ?

• 3 months later...
I havent been putting enough effort in this game to go for platinum , just missing the manhole / misterious couple and the challenges trophies, as for the challenges i am doing lousy results. Only one gold medal in about 10 challenges.. havent tried that hard too, but this game is making me noxious, the camera upside down, not knowing where to turn... i dont know, is there way that kat is always standing straight while floating ?

The short answer is no, just have to repeat each mission multiple times until you understand where everything is and the pattern, then you will get gold.

• 1 month later...

My words exactly... this game is just awful. It's been hanging on my trophylist unfinished for ages and I find it extremely difficult to start it again every single time.

My words exactly... this game is just awful. It's been hanging on my trophylist unfinished for ages and I find it extremely difficult to start it again every single time.

This.

I hate this game with a passion, just don't want it stuck at 60% or something. The controls have to rank amongst the worst in the history of video games (at least if you consider the challenges).

I wonder if I'll ever best those sliding and throwing races.

If those loading times wouldn't be in the minutes range, it might have been somewhat bearable.

Edited by Finnroth

• 8 months later...
This.

I hate this game with a passion, just don't want it stuck at 60% or something. The controls have to rank amongst the worst in the history of video games (at least if you consider the challenges).

I wonder if I'll ever best those sliding and throwing races.

If those loading times wouldn't be in the minutes range, it might have been somewhat bearable.

Really? I thought this game was pretty terrific, the only exception is the "sliding" controls are a bit wonky (where you have to hold down the corners of the vita screen and tilt to steer, doesn't seem to work right at all for me, or I just have it way to sensitive. I found the slide races incredibly annoying.

Still, despite that got the platinum. Even with the load times it should only take maybe 5-10 hours to do all 20 challenges (more or less, dependant on skill). But the completion % for the base game is only 67% for platinum due to the DLC.