Online question/share your experience

desperado1089

Hi all. I will be making my first foray into GTA Online pretty soon. What I'd like to know, first and foremost, is how often do you run into some idiot who just shoots at you for no reason?? Because I went online in Red Dead Redemption one time and it left such a bad taste in my mouth I never did it again--not everyone on that particular server was filling me with lead, but it definitely seemed like few of them were being good sports and were willing to just let me go about my business in peace. Feel free to use this thread as a place to share your experiences in GTAO as far as how much trouble you ran into in Free Roam, particularly trouble that you weren't looking for. With any luck I'll pick up some crew members along the way--see you in San Andreas!!

You expect people to be good sports in Grand Theft Auto eh? Oh Desperado... oh.. just.. :facepalm:

You can enter passive mode so people like me can't get ya but you also won't be able to use weapons on pedestrians/cops/gang members etc. and you can't rob stores either.

In any case, I hope you enjoy your online experience and make lots of money. :drunk:

To be honest most of the time if you get on with what you want to do people won't bother you. Its clear to see the areas where people are killing each other, if you go to these areas then yes expect to get shot. I never bother killing anyone unless it's one of my daily objectives or unless someone clearly comes after me. If you see people coming to the area you are then get your gun out. Most times it is a coincidence but personally I just kill them to be safe.

Oy. How many of these Rambo types are kids, I wonder?? Frickin Rockstar, you make great games but the online portion of them is so unregulated it's ridiculous. Yes, I know it's Grand Theft Auto (or Red Dead Redemption), but even so, there's gotta be a point where you stop and think "hmm, maybe I should leave him alone??" or "he's not bothering me, why should I bother him?" Seriously, leave the PVP killing to Deathmatch games, that's what they're there for. Yeah, I figure I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but I gotta vent somewhere, right?? :2walls: Good thing I got a Shark Card...with any luck I can even the playing field a bit.

Edited by desperado1089

Oy. How many of these Rambo types are kids, I wonder?? Frickin Rockstar, you make great games but the online portion of them is so unregulated it's ridiculous. Yes, I know it's Grand Theft Auto (or Red Dead Redemption), but even so, there's gotta be a point where you stop and think "hmm, maybe I should leave him alone??" or "he's not bothering me, why should I bother him?" Seriously, leave the PVP killing to Deathmatch games, that's what they're there for. Yeah, I figure I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but I gotta vent somewhere, right?? :2walls: Good thing I got a Shark Card...with any luck I can even the playing field a bit.

Since you're on this site I'm assuming you're a trophy hunter. Just a word of advice. DO NOT use your shark cards for weapons.

Once you get the live a little trophy do whatever you want but before that I'd spend the money on heist cars.

To be fair the griefers are correct when they say this is GTA, not MLP. The lobbies were created for this kind of open world action. There is passive mode if you find yourself in a busy lobby and want to do stuff of a passive nature.

Or you could just put yourself in a solo or invite only session. After all if you don't want to interact with these strangers why are you in a public lobby to begin with? Rockstar have created ways for griefers to grief each other, and for those who hate it to avoid it.

Hi all. I will be making my first foray into GTA Online pretty soon. What I'd like to know, first and foremost, is how often do you run into some idiot who just shoots at you for no reason??

Very often I may say... Sometimes your heist-mates would shoot you in the end either thinking killing you would give them all your cut from the job - which is absurd, I know... or they're really just dicks. One time I gave a thumbs-up with my avatar/character and the response I got was a beating... I always walk casually (weapon FREE) towards my car after a heist but still the dicks are hungry for some 1v1 action...

Just do what Tanaki said... I always start the game in an invite-only/closed friends lobby.... BUT eventually R* servers will still put you in a lobby with crazed Psychos after a while.

Since you're on this site I'm assuming you're a trophy hunter. Just a word of advice. DO NOT use your shark cards for weapons.

Once you get the live a little trophy do whatever you want but before that I'd spend the money on heist cars.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

To be fair the griefers are correct when they say this is GTA, not MLP. The lobbies were created for this kind of open world action. There is passive mode if you find yourself in a busy lobby and want to do stuff of a passive nature.

Or you could just put yourself in a solo or invite only session. After all if you don't want to interact with these strangers why are you in a public lobby to begin with? Rockstar have created ways for griefers to grief each other, and for those who hate it to avoid it.

At first I was like "MLP??" but like as soon as I copy/pasted the quote from the other tab (my noob ass can't figure out how to quote multiple posts without copying and pasting from other tabs) I was like "Ooooh, My Little Pony". Well when I was in that RDR session I was telling you about, my aim was for the online trophies, which, with few exceptions, mandated that you be in a public session. Thankfully GTAV doesn't have that restriction as far as I am aware.

Well when I was in that RDR session I was telling you about, my aim was for the online trophies, which, with few exceptions, mandated that you be in a public session. Thankfully GTAV doesn't have that restriction as far as I am aware.

RDR is one of those games I never got to play despite wanting too, so I don't know how bad that was.

GTA Online was pretty bad at the start on PS3. It wasn't as passive friendly as it was now, and I'm pretty sure I remember it used to charge you $$ to set passive mode, and then forget you had it on between missions. Griefing was definitely more of a problem (for me at least) back then.

Dude, seriously, if this bothers you then you should either not play GTA Online or do what jfrl1991 does. Do I like getting killed randomly? No, no one does. However, this is a game about crime and your character is a career criminal. Expect bullshit of any and all forms in this game. I laugh when people kill me half the time because they waste explosives which are expensive.

I recall a time a guy killed me to collect a bounty. He shot so many rockets at me and blew up my car to the point where he had to pay more than he made and I get a new car for free.

Bottom line is that playing GTA Online is like being in a boxing or MMA ring/octagon: DEFEND YOURSELF AT ALL TIMES. I have no qualms about repeatedly killing someone that is AFC because that is what your apartment is for. If you enter a lobby and see people on the map, you should expect and assume that every single one of them will kill you, even the ones that help you. Even your friends for that matter.