In Memoriam of sjdb5

olsen77

Some people are aware of this, but I don't think that most will be. A few weeks ago, sjdb5 (Scott) took his own life. I'm sure that this isn't the first time or the last time that something like this will happen. This is the first time that someone who has made significant contributions to the site has passed. Those who were closed to him are taking this very hard. Of all of the members that have logged in here even once, very few deserve the kind of recognition that Scott does. From the times that I talked to him, I could tell what a great person he is. His actions in GTA speak for themselves. Saying that he's a great person is an understatement. It doesn't begin to cover his character.

While the user name may not be recognized by everyone because there are so many members, anyone who has paid a visit to the GTA 4 forum at any point will know of him. The man was a legend. That's really the only way to describe it. He was a part of the crew that took over the Fly the Co-op thread with the goal of giving anyone who asked for help, the assistance needed to get them through those three missions. In the few years that they ran that thread, the number of people that they helped is pretty ridiculous. With over 2,700 posts in that thread, they number of people that they helped is in the thousands. That he helped people over the course of three to four years is also incredible. The dedication, love, and willingness to help out anyone is one of the more remarkable things that I've seen from any member here. My biggest regret is that he wasn't recognized for his contributions sooner.

Shortly after finding out, I asked Backspin (who is one of his best friends) if there was anything that we could do for his family. He relayed a message from Scott's father asking that we just remember him fondly. That's how I'll remember him. Every time that I see GTA now, I'll think of him and how willing he was to help absolutely anyone get that one trophy. I'll think of how much time he gave. He is a true legend and exemplifies everything about the word "community" and what we want this site to be.

I wish his family, his wife, and all of his friends, gaming friends and his friends outside of gaming, all the best in this extremely difficult time. Thank you Scott for everything that you've done and all of the people that you helped. Rest in peace.

I asked three of the members (funkyweed, smartbomb, and Backspin420) that knew him better than I did to write something about him. They knew him better and had been friends with him for years. Thank you guys for what you wrote.

funkyweed:

Scott's passing came as really sad and shocking news. Having only met him in a virtual world didn't make the feelings regarding this news less painful or easier to deal with. I'd known him for a few years and we've had some good fun gaming and talking about all things from Formula One to Holidays and generally setting the world to rights. He was an intelligent and funny guy, he had a great outlook on life. He was very easy to get on with and to have a laugh with. He was a top lad and will very much be missed.

My thoughts are with his family and friends and such a sad time. Good bye Scott (sjdb5).

smartbomb:

I'll always remember my first convo with sjdb5. It was a PM from him putting me in my place. I must have been only a few months old on PS3T and made an error in judgment which he mistook for malicious activity. A couple of PM's later and we were sound as houses. I knew from that first PM that he was a stand up guy and knew how to handle people even if he was pissed at you. I knew straight away I would like him.

sjdb5 done the trophy community a great service when he ran the Fly The Co-Op help thread, and I admired that. I played GTA IV for months to get good at what those guys did until I finally joined the help team myself. There was me, sjdb5, BACKSPIN420 and donald047. It was never planned as such but it always just seemed to fall that I would pair with don and sj would pair with Spin, so for the vast majority of my service to the crew, I didnt really do much together with sj. But there was a few months towards the end when don had a YLOD or something and sj and I would team up. It was just awesome. The finest pilot of a Maverick Heli bar none, the lad could land on a pinhead, drop you off and take off again in one fluid movement. After the list was up to date and our punters has thanked us and left, we would often stay in the 'FTC' Text Chat room and just talk. Nothing really in depth, just real easy and open good banter. We would laugh about some of the mishaps of the nights FTC runs, and some of the wild shit our 'customers' pulled at times, particularly one time one of our randoms had only to just 'blow himself up' by holding a live grenade til it went off in his hand, except the guy was throwing them down the street and running off after them! We laughed our asses off that night. Just one of those times you go to bed late but smile as you recall the hilarity and are so glad someone was there to share it with.

When the FTC help thread closed, we kind of drifted apart in the way people do. Always on my FL and the odd message back and forth, we all have a good many of those. And then I found out he had passed away. I never got the chance to say it to him but i'll say it now as it's the closest i'll get.

'sj, it was an honour riding with you on all those missions to get people their trophies. I never saw it as a chore with you man, it was a chance to game and have a laugh, randoms getting their trophies was a positive byproduct. Sleep well my friend. Gone but never forgotten. RIP - sjdb5'

Backspin:

I have to say that sjdb5 ( Scott ) was my best friend and an all around great guy. He loved gaming but life would sometimes get in the way of it so he couldn't play as much as he liked I'm sure. He was a legend in the GTA IV forums for the Fly the Co-op thread. Over 1,000 people he helped get the co-op trophy on thier way to that sweet platinum trophy. He liked racing games, anything GTA and Elder Scrolls was his favorite. He was the kind of person that would help his best buddy play a complete and utter crap game, just because he knew I would need the help.

I had the pleasure of knowing him personally because he actually came halfway around the world to see me here in America last year. We went to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, The Hard Rock Cafe, Cedar Point, paintballing and lastly he was able to go to New York to see the city that one of his favorite games was modeled after. My family & I have so many great memories of our time together because he was an energetic, happy and truly good person.

I would give anything to have my friend back but for now I will just say this, he made my bad days into good days and I will miss him dearly.