clarkes1990

Bdt1lgm.png

Overview:

Estimated Difficulty: 2/10

Approximate time: 1-2 Hours

Trophy Breakdown: 12 (8(B), 3(S), 1(G))    

Offline: 11 (7(B), 3(S), 1(G))   

Online: 1 (1(B)

Minimum number of playthroughs required: 1 (and clean-up on stage 1)

Does Difficulty Affect Trophies: No

Glitched Trophies: None

Introduction:

Golden Axe is a side-scrolling beat ‘em up, released in 1989 by Sega and is now available on PS3 via the PSN Store.

At the beginning of the game you are informed by a dying friend (Alex) that His Majesty and The Princess have been taken by Death Adder. It is your job to reach Death Adder and kill him to free the captured.

Golden Axe consists of 9 Stages, 4 of which have no enemies, just thieves. The remaining 5 Stages are packed with a ton of Death Adder’s Henchmen and a few steeds that you and your enemies can ride. You also have the option to play 2-player Co-op, either locally or online.

Walkthrough:

Step 1: Local Co-op

On the main menu, select Multiplayer and then Local Co-op Game. Then play through to the end of the game. You can change the game settings to have Maximum Lives and Energy (Health) as it will not affect trophies.

During this run you should be going for Cockatrice, Turtle Village, 2 of the Magic related trophies, Potion, Survivor, Co-op Win, Win and Perfect Win. Note that Co-op can be done with one controller by switching back and forth from player 1&2 in the controller settings.

Step 2: Online Co-op

You can beat the game online or if you want to make it quick, change the settings to Minimum Lives and Energy (Health) and simply die until you are asked to continue. Hit :start: to continue and Online Co-op is yours. Use the Co-op Partners Thread if you are having trouble finding a player online.

Any trophies mentioned in Step 1 that you may of missed, you should go for in this step.

Step 3: Clean up

If you have a character you need to play as for the Omni Character trophy, now is the time to do that. Also go for the ‘magic’ related trophies at this point.

If during both your co-op runs you have still not picked up Perfect Win, you should attempt it now solo. Remember to take advantage of the save feature.

Edited by Viper
Replaced a missing banner.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trophy Guide:

01.jpg  (B) Cockatrice

Ride the Cockatrice.

The Cockatrice is the first of the steeds you will come across in the game. It is available from Stage 1. Simply attack the enemy atop the Cockatrice and then walk to the creature and you will automatically get on its back.

02.jpg  (B) Omni Character

Play as every character.

No need to finish the game, just start Stage 1 with all three characters and the trophy is yours.

03.jpg  (B) Turtle Village

Choose any character and reach Turtle Village (Stage 3) without dying once.

Finish Stage 1 without dying once is all you have to do as Stage 2 is a bonus stage with only thieves. When Stage 3 begins, the trophy will pop.

04.jpg  (B) Amazon Magic

Perform a Level 6 magic attack with the Amazon.

Select the female character, Tyris. Her max magic level is 6 which requires 9 potions. Max it and press :triangle: to use your magic.

05.jpg  (B) Dwarf Magic

Perform a Level 3 magic attack with the Dwarf.

Select the Dwarf character, Gilius. His max magic level is 3 and that requires 4 potions. The potions are dropped by the thieves when you attack them. Max your magic meter and press :triangle: and the trophy will pop.

06.jpg  (B) Barbarian Magic

Perform a Level 4 magic attack with the Barbarian.

Select the Barbarian character, Ax, whose max magic level is 4. You will need to have 6 potions then press :triangle: and the trophy is yours.

07.jpg  (B) Potion

Collect three potions from a thief or group of thieves.

Attack the thieves to make them drop potions. You will need to pick up 3 potions from a single thief or a group of thieves.

The 3 potions need to be collected by a single player. Therefore, if player 1 collects two potions and player 2 collects one, the trophy will not pop.

08.jpg  (S) Survivor

Choose any character and reach “Across the Sea” (Stage 5) without dying once.

This is easily done in co-op. The trophy will pop at the beginning of Stage 5 if you have not died once before getting to this point. Only Stages 1 and 3 have enemies.

09.jpg  (S) Co-op Win

Beat the game in local Co-op mode.

Simply finish stages 1-9, in local co-op, and the trophy is yours.

If you are doing this solo with 2 controllers (or 1 controller and reassigning the controller) you can let 1 player lose all their lives and not continue. The trophy will still pop when you finish the game with just one player.

You will also collect Win if this is the first time you have beaten the game.

10.jpg  (B) Online Co-op

Complete an online Co-op game.

You can beat the game online for this trophy, or if you want to make it quick, change the settings to Minimum Lives and Energy (Health) and simply die until you are asked to continue. Hit :start: to continue and the trophy will pop.

Use the Co-op Boosting Thread if you're having trouble finding a player online.

11.jpg  (S) Win

Beat the game.

Beat the game for the first time with any character and this trophy will pop as you free the Majesty and the Princess.

12.jpg  (G) Perfect Win

Beat the game without continuing.

This is where you will really have to take advantage of the save feature.

You want to get to Stage 9 with all 5 lives left. In stages 3, 5 & 7 it will be okay to lose 1 or 2 bars of Energy (Health) as during the bonus stages (4, 6 & 😎 you will be able to pick up some health from the thieves.

Save after every enemy that you kill flawlessly to prevent having to fight them again if you revert to a save later.

When you get on a steed, stay on it until the end of the stage. Save after every kill and revert to a previous save if you have been knocked from your steed. To avoid being knock off of your steed by a running enemy's shoulder charge, press :up: and :down: on the d-pad so the enemy will walk towards you until he/she is close enough to whip/breath fire on.

The only enemies that do not charge are the Knights and Death Adder. So no need to move up and down on these enemies. Just hold :square: to use the dragons attack.

For an easier way to kill Death Adder (it is very unlikely you will still be on your draggon) kill all the other enemies first. Use your magic to take out the initial enemies and then the skeletons will arrive. They will move faster than Death Adder, as he will stop to roll a little fireball at you, so move to the top/bottom of the screen to avoid Death Adder and attack the skeletons.

Once the skeletons are dead, get in close to Death Adder and hold :square:; you are quicker than him so you will always be able to attack him after he stands up again, before he is able to attack you. So just get him to the edge of the screen and hold :square: and he is done for.

This can also be done in Co-op, but as there is no save function, it is easier to do this solo.

Edited by Viper

Beat the game in solo with no trouble at all and then went online and got myself killed during the final boss. My gf had a ton of fun laughing at how many times I died by walking off edges. I used a continue and it immediately gave me the online co-op trophy before we had even finished beating the boss. Odd but whatever. Killed that sob after respawn.

Yea, by far not a difficult game or trophies to obtain (unlike Streets of Rage 2). It's still fun but yea, it didn't age well, lol.

Question: if I do the local co-op, could I kill one of the guys or do they both need to live for the trophy?

Edited by DaVinci

Here's a tip if you're having trouble beating the final boss without using a continue:

First go to control options and turn on Rapid Fire (Turbo Mode).

Knock down the boss with an aerial attack.

Right before he gets back up jump and hold down the attack button, you should hit him and knock him down again before he has the chance to do anything.

Repeat until he's dead.

I don't think I'll get perfect win. It's too hard. I got to the last stage with 1 life left and lost it to the two red knight guys. Rest of the trophies were cake though.

These are helpful:

Here's a tip if you're having trouble beating the final boss without using a continue:

First go to control options and turn on Rapid Fire (Turbo Mode).

Knock down the boss with an aerial attack.

Right before he gets back up jump and hold down the attack button, you should hit him and knock him down again before he has the chance to do anything.

Repeat until he's dead.

Stay on the dragons as much as possible, I managed to kill both of the red knights in stage 9 without losing any health. Also save your magic and use it all at once during the boss fights and it should almost kill those annoying skeletons.

How I did it was similar, although I didn't know about this Turbo Mode.

Choose 5 lives and 5 energy bars, I then chose the Dwarf, but I wouldn't have thought it matters which one you choose, it should still work either way.

Basically spam jump attacks all the way through, especially if there are multiple enemies on screen, as the largest problem is getting sandwiched between them. It may take longer to kill them, but a hit from a jump attack knocks any enemy down, allowing you to take it nice and slow. :cool:

You can do this with the Mini-bosses with hammers, however the knights with the swords will likely just hit you when you try to jump attack them unless you time it just right. Before each of the 3 knights there is an oppurtunity to get on a dragon, I would suggest you get hold of these and kill the knights from a distance like shaunnn191, otherwise you will probably lose some precious lives (they take away an energy bar each hit).

The final boss is still tricky though, but just copy what Dragonslayer023 says and you should be fine. When I say 'fine' you will still lose lives, before the final boss I had 4 lives, at the end I was only just on my last life.

Edited by Rabidwolf7