Favourite 'God of War' game

PoorPaddy89

Which is your favourite 'God of War' game?  

375 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite 'God of War' game?

• God of War
    • God of War II
    • God of War III

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOW III for me... I wont knock off points for story b/c its a trilogy kind of like lord of the rings where most of the story was told in 1 and 2, 3rd was sort of a conclusion in this case Krato's gets his revenge. The boss fights were great, loved the weapons this time around beside hades claws, and it was fun no frustrating parts. In terms of story though GOW I takes the cake.

III mainly due to the fact that I never played the original 2 when they came out on the PS2 and didn't play them until I got the collection. It could be that I jumped from GoWI straight to GoWII and then after that I began to fully get hyped for III. This might have left I and II to not be as memerable to me as it was for most who played them when they first came out :\

I voted for GOW2 although it's really close between GOW1 and 2.

GOW3 is the worst part in my opinion. Sure it looks great, but that's about it. The controls are not as responsive as they used to be, the weapons are not as great as I hoped, the magic and the fact that it is bound to a specific weapon isn't very good, the puzzles were no challenge at any point, you visit the same locations over and over again, the boss battles weren't as good as before (especially Helios as you didn't even fight him)...

You can flame me now if you like but graphics is not everything. GOW2 was superior on all accounts. It didn't have an input lag for the controls, the hammer, the spear and the blade of olympus were all great weapons, you could choose whatever magic you liked the most regardless of the weapon, the windbow (although using magic) looked so much cooler, some of the puzzles really had me thinking for a while, you had a great scenery and visited many different yet always awesome places and the boss battles were much better - just think about the ending: kraken, 3-part sisters of faith, battling your way to the loom chamber, clotho and an epic zeus battle.

I still like GOW3 but I had much higher expectations and it didn't deliver - aside from the graphics. They even used the exact same music from the second part from time to time. I really wish Cory Barlog would have stayed to make the game as great as he did with part 2.

I voted for GOW2 although it's really close between GOW1 and 2.

GOW3 is the worst part in my opinion. Sure it looks great, but that's about it. The controls are not as responsive as they used to be, the weapons are not as great as I hoped, the magic and the fact that it is bound to a specific weapon isn't very good, the puzzles were no challenge at any point, you visit the same locations over and over again, the boss battles weren't as good as before (especially Helios as you didn't even fight him)...

I think a lot of it is to do with the fact that this is the first game they've made for PS3. They knew the PS2 inside-out, and exploited it to the max. This wasn't the case with PS3. If they had made another game and then come back to God of War it would be a much sharper experience.But I'm still glad they've made it, and made a great game. The next game they make will be better than III, you can bet on it.

I was a little underwhelmed with GOW3, they made a massive deal about levels taking place on Titans but it only happens twice in the game and not for very long. I was expecting a little more innovation.

It's still a great game but I do prefer the previous 2 games, it's tough to choose between 1 & 2 but I'll go for GOW2.

It has to be God of War for me. As in the first installment. It was utterly perfect as a game. Totally unprecedented on the PS2, with outstanding gameplay, sound, visuals and quite probably the most artistically inspired environments to ever grace a video game. Everything in it felt fresh, polished and innovative. The fact that fully one half of the game takes place on the back of a Titan is almost too awesome for words. I still think the rings of Pandora were the best set of puzzles in the Trilogy. It also had the best magic of the three games.

Although all three are superb games, I would have to single out God of War III as my least favourite, owing to the fact that there's little variety in the choice of weapons (having 3 sets of blades was the single worst decisions in the game) and aside from the invincibility, Rage of the Gods/Titans/Sparta was amost useless. Number 3 also had the weakest, least inspired magic of the 3 games, which was a shame given the increased potential for some incredible special effects on the PS3. I really missed being able to use the Blade of Olympus too. They could have nerfed it if they'd liked, for the sake of balance, I'd still have welcomed the variety. The same goes for the Head of Medusa. Something along those lines would have worked wonders for combat variety under God of War III.

All that said, this is without a doubt the best video game trilogy ever made and I'd put all 3 games in my all time top 10.

Edited by TurboSquirrel

I think of the God of War series the same way I see the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy - the first is the best of the movies. It sucks you in to the world, introduces the characters, etc etc. With POTC2 and POTC3, it's essentially one story broken in to 2 parts, same with GOWII and III. The first God of War, I loved the pacing of the story and the way it was presented. It made me want to keep playing. With II and III it seemed more like the story was just there for Kratos to get new weapons and abilities and to just look as badass as possible. I didn't really care about his motivation any more. And the story for III was a total let down after the set up for an epic showdown between the Titans and Gods at the end of II. Seriously, the Titans were completely useless; all they did was climb around in the background.

Which is your favourite God of War game? Please only vote if you have played all three games, rather than just one.

Personally, mine is GoW II. The environments, story, combat, EVERYTHING is amazing. GoW III looks stunning and has the best graphics and animations, but the story wasn't as good as II I think.

The second installment was definitely my favorite. It's not even that big of a competition between them in my eyes. In terms of improvements, story, character development, environments (III LOOKED better because it was on the PS3, which should be a given), and just the all around experience I liked two WAY more.

It feels like they just didn't try as hard with the third one as they did with the second. Aside from the visual aspects of the third game, they really didn't impress me at all. The story was the worst out of the trilogy, the environments were the worst, and all it really had going for it was the momentum and hype of the franchise, as well as the epic boss fights and visuals.

Aside from the visuals and the bosses, the third game in my eyes is a total failure. They needed to go out with a huge bang, rather than just giving out some "ooh's and aww's". They focused too much on aesthetics, and not enough on actual content and gameplay.

Two brought back the great things from the original, and expanded on it greatly. Three just gave the series from pretty polish, an improved QTE look, and that's about it.

I voted for GOW 3 simply because they got Kevin Sorbo to do the voice of Hercules........genius:applause:

I'll see your Kevin Sorbo and raise you a Harry Hamlin as Perseus in GoW II! :D

Personally, I refrained from voting cuz I can't pick a favorite. These games are all superb. They nailed it in the first game, and so little has really changed throughout the series that I can't help but view the entire trilogy as a whole. In fact, the only thing that really did change were the expectations, as they grew from game to game, and that makes it even harder to be objective.

It's like picking your favorite Star Wars movie from the Original Trilogy. Sure, Empire is often viewed as the superior film, but they had such a great movie to build from and had a guaranteed sequel in the waiting, not to mention the advances in technology and expanded time frame. The God of War games are exactly the same in that respect.

So, I'll do the same thing I do with Star Wars: View the whole thing as a trilogy and call it one of the best I've ever seen.

GOW1 for me. Only one in series with strong story, my 2nd favorite boss battles of all time [Pandora's Guardian, top favorite is tie between The End and The Boss from MGS3]. When playing GOW3, I realized even devs think same [GOW1 has THE story] and you'll notice all key plot points stem from events of GOW1.

1 > 3> 2 for me, but 3 is creeping up on 1 more and more I play. I think story of 2 was too underwhelming for me to involve me.