God of War: Ghost of Sparta ~ Challenge of the Gods Guide

FBywBSb.png

If this guide served your purpose and you feel obliged to join the forums, please feel free to give me a referral upon signing up.

Click here to sign up!

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1071/35.jpg

God Amongst Men (G)

Beat the Challenge of the Gods

The Challenge of the Gods can be unlocked by completing the game once. You must clear and complete both The Challenge of Ares and The Challenge of Athena. Ares has a total of 5 challenges while Athena has a total of 8 challenges making a total of 13 different challenges. Most of them are fairly easy, with the exception of a couple. One difficult one is “Unscathed,” which requires you to survive a few waves of enemies without getting hit. Below are the 13 challenges and how to go about clearing them. Special thanks goes towards PowerPyx for providing the PS3 version of the Challenge of Gods video guides.

Challenge of Gods: Ares

Challenge 1:

Six Ways To Die

Open all 6 chests place in the arena without dying.

Steps to complete challenge:

• This is a very simply and easy challenge. Just run around opening as many chests as fast as you possible can.
  • I suggest that you use the Scourge of Erinys magic skill by pressing the :left: button to keep the enemies and Cyclops away from you while you're opening chests. This will especially help you when you're opening the very last chest.
  • Upon successfully opening all 6 chests place in the arena without dying you'll clear the challenge.

Challenge of Ares 1 Video Guide:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYJrFZSsfJk&feature=player_embedded]Challenge of Ares 1 Video Guide[/ame]

Challenge 2:

The Gauntlet

Kill all of your enemies before they kill you.

• If you completed the game on Spartan Mode then this challenge will be nothing towards you. There's no time limit and no possible way to fail this challenge except by dying or getting shattered while you're in frozen status. Keep in mind that you have a health orb chest and a magic orb chest so make use of these two chests wisely.
  • You'll have to survive three waves of enemies total.
  • The first waves will be against Triton Soldiers and Harpy Widows who can both be spammed with Kratos grabbing moves. So simply spam the :circle: button over and over against all them.
  • The second wave gives a little challenging since you'll be facing both Keres Wraiths and Minotaur Brutes. I suggest that you go after the Keres Wraiths first. Switch to your Arms of Sparta and double jump into the air by pressing the :cross: button and then spam the Spear Assault (Air) move by (hold) :r1: + :square: buttons. You'll kill them really quickly or put them in crawling state while avoiding their ground attacks at the same time. Be sure to damage the Minotaur Brutes while doing this and if they charge you press the QTE to throw them away from you. Rinse and repeat the spamming.
  • The third and final wave is against Cyclops Tyrants and Satyrs. Here it's best to destroy the armor on the Cyclops by using the Thera's Bane (hold) :r1: + :square: attacks. You can simply spam the grabbing move against the Satyrs until you're prompted to slit their throats. Kill everything else one thing at a time and be sure to dodge the Cyclops slow attacks.
  • Upon successfully killing all of your enemies before they kill you, you'll clear the challenge.

Challenge of Ares 2 Video Guide:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luJjwCq45wI&feature=player_embedded]Challenge of Ares 2 Video Guide[/ame]

Challenge 3:

Nocrates

Retrieve all its red orbs before time runs out.

• Note that you have 30 seconds to destroy the huge crate as well as killing everybody in your way.
  • This isn't as hard as it may seem. When the challenge starts use the Scourge of Erinys magic skill by pressing the :left: button and attack everyone with your Blades of Athena.
  • Once everyone is dead quickly switch to your Arms of Sparta and repeatedly attack the huge crate with it's normal attacks by pressing the :square: button over and over again. As you notice, the Arms of Sparta will break through the crates extremely fast. Proving that it's the strongest weapon in the game.
  • Once you see the chest quickly open it to get all the red orbs.
  • Upon successfully retrieving all its red orbs before time runs out, you'll clear the challenge.

Challenge of Ares 3 Video Guide:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrz2iNa4C04&feature=player_embedded]Challenge of Ares 3 Video Guide[/ame]

Challenge 4:

Unscathed

Kill all the enemies without taking a single hit

• This challenge is perhaps the hardest one since you must survive without taking any damage against four waves of enemies that will get increasingly harder
  • The first wave is against a single Cyclops Tyrant, who is very easy to kill by using the Thera's Bane (hold) :r1: + :square: attacks. You'll stun him from your explosive cores exploding. So be sure to press the prompted :circle: button every time it appears. Rinse and the Thera's Bane explosive spamming.
  • At the start of the second wave it'll be only just two Gorgons. Attack them both at the same time or have one get turned to stone and shatter from the other Gorgon. Once a Gorgon dies the third wave will begin right away.
  • At the start of the third wave Fire Harplings will be spawning alongside the Gorgons. I suggest that you finish killing the first Gorgon you fought in wave two which should be weaken enough. Enter the mini game and compete it to turn all enemies in the area into stone. If a Fire Harpling gets tuned into stone they fall and shatter for an instant kill. Now I suggest that you use the Scourge of Erinys magic skill to weaken and damage. I really don't suggest using the grab move on the birds because the Gorgons will attack you since you're open. You can use the Gorgons to help you kill the birds and keep dodging their fire attacks. Be very careful in this wave for it's the very reason why this challenge in the hardest if your unskilled or impatient.
  • The final wave is against Scylla Broods, so I suggest that you switch to the Arms of Sparta. Now quickly hold down the block button by pressing and holding :l1:. They'll attack you with their acid attacks which you're blocking with your shield. Once they done attacking you can use the Spartan Charge move by pressing the :l1: + :circle: buttons. This move will initiate a running charge that smashes enemies with your shield which will kill the Scylla Broods in only one hit. Another way is to take advantage of the Eye of Atlantis or Horn of Boreas invulnerably if you still have the magic power left to spam them.
  • Upon successfully killing all the enemies without taking a single hit, you'll clear the challenge.

Challenge of Ares 4 Video Guide:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Id_V3ehOY&feature=player_embedded]Challenge of Ares 4 Video Guide[/ame]

Challenge 5:

Gear Up

Collect 3 Automaton Gears before your health is drained.

• This challenge is very simple and easy. All you have to do is kill the 3 Automatons. Note that if you use either of the Eye of Atlantis or the Horn of Boreas skills you'll lose no health at all, so keep that in mind.
  • When the fight begins you'll want to use the Thera's Bane (hold) :r1: + :square: attacks to damage them as well as setting off explosive cores on them. Every time you destroy apart of them you get a lot of health restored back. Eventually you'll be prompted to press the :circle: button to take their gear and kill them, so do so.
  • As for the final two Automatons I suggest that you take them both out at the same time by spamming the Scourge of Erinys magic skill. It'll greatly damage them while you're still attacking them with the Thera's Bane. And again you'll want to do the prompted :circle: button pressing to take their gears.
  • Upon successfully collecting 3 Automaton Gears before your health is drained, you'll clear the challenge.

Challenge of Ares 5 Video Guide:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggMJn7lV-H8&feature=player_embedded]Challenge of Ares 5 Video Guide[/ame]

Edited by Blaze Naruto Shippuden
Replaced Banner

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Challenge of Gods: Athena

Note: You can use the Collectibles in the Challenges of Athena

Challenge 1:

Airborne

Stay in the air for 10 seconds without touching the ground.

• Launch an enemy into the air by using the Blades of Athena's Olympic Ascension (hold) :triangle:. Then jump into the air with :cross: and spam the grab by pressing the :circle: button over and over again until they die. You'll clear the challenge with ease with this method. This might take a couple of tries but there's no time limit. You do want to do this on an enemy that you hit into the air only once and not on an already weaken enemy. If you like you can restart the challenge to reset the enemies.
  • Upon successfully staying in the air for 10 seconds without touching the ground, you'll clear the challenge.

Challenge of Athena 1 Video Guide:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DZI9bFVeRE&feature=player_embedded]Challenge of Athena 1 Video Guide[/ame]

Challenge 2:

Ground Pounder

Hyperion Rush an enemy to the ground and land 10 hits in a row.

• Spam the Scourge of Erinys magic skill to gather all the enemies in a pile. Then Hyperion Rush by pressing the :l1: + :circle: buttons and once you grab an enemy from the magic pile. Quickly and repeatedly press the :square: button until you gotten 10 hits in a row.
  • Upon successfully Hyperion Rushing an enemy to the ground and land 10 hits in a row, you'll clear the challenge.

Challenge of Athena 2 Video Guide:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnwXge_aa-0&feature=player_embedded]Challenge of Athena 2 Video Guide[/ame]

Challenge 3:

Guard Break

Break 5 shields simultaneously.

• When the match starts switch to your Arms of Sparta and go into the lower right corner and do nothing but hold down the :l1: block button. They'll all gather around you and once you have them all gather I suggest that you use the Horn of Boreas by pressing the :up: button. Doing this will shatter all their shields at the same time.
  • Alternatively, you can use the above method but use the Thera's Bane to attack everyone once they gathered around you. The explosive cores will all explode their shields off simultaneously.
  • Upon successfully breaking 5 shields simultaneously, you'll clear the challenge.

Challenge of Athena 3 Video Guide:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2mzhJZBa-E&feature=player_embedded]Challenge of Athena 3 Video Guide[/ame]

Challenge 4:

Ricochet

Parry 5 arrows in a row.

• When the round starts run back a few steps to get all 5 archers into your view. Simply wait for one to fire at you and reflect it back by pressing the :l1: button at the right timing. Do this five times in a row and that's all to it.
  • Upon successfully parring 5 arrows in a row, you'll clear the challenge.

Challenge of Athena 4 Video Guide:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeG3KcpCTfw&feature=player_embedded]Challenge of Athena 4 Video Guide[/ame]

Challenge 5:

Fear Kratos!

All must cower before the God of War.

• This is a little time consuming since you need to run around and make everyone (10 people) cower before you. However, I found that this is a little glitch. When the round starts simply run into the bottom of the screen and do nothing but wait. People will walk around on their own and when they all towards Kratos they will cower and will not move at all. Eventually by doing nothing like this you'll have about 9 people cowering. So now you can run towards whoever is still walking around and make them cower before you. Now you have everyone cowering. It's that easy literally. Note: That the bottom of the screen I'm referring to is the place where the water is exiting the area.
  • Alternatively you can simply run around in circles in the middle of the arena. Sooner or later the people will come along the way and will automatically bow down. Thanks goes to PowerPyx for this easier method.
  • Upon successfully once everyone is cowering before Kratos, you'll clear the challenge.

Challenge of Athena 5 Video Guide:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr0lCFIBiuE&feature=player_embedded]Challenge of Athena 5 Video Guide[/ame]

Challenge 6:

Frozen in Flight

Shatter 5 Ravens simultaneously.

• This challenge is similar to challenge number 3. When the match starts switch to your Arms of Sparta and do nothing but hold down the :l1: block button. They'll all gather around you and once you have them all gather use the Horn of Boreas by pressing the :up: button. Doing this will shatter all 5 Ravens at the same time.
  • Upon successfully shattering 5 Ravens simultaneously, you'll clear the challenge.

Challenge of Athena 6 Video Guide:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjg1eAgdC4Y&feature=player_embedded]Challenge of Athena 6 Video Guide[/ame]

Challenge 7:

Magic Maker

Refill your entire magic meter.

• Very easy just simply kill the Gorgons to get your magic back very quickly.
  • Or if you wish to cheat and not even kill anything. Just activate the Bonds of Ares to instantly refill your entire magic meter. :whistle:
  • Upon successfully refilling your entire magic meter, you'll clear the challenge.

Challenge of Athena 7 Video Guide:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBIP3x7isUU&feature=player_embedded]Challenge of Athena 7 Video Guide[/ame]

Challenge 8:

Bone Crusher

Kill 10 Cursed Remains with grab.

• Simply spam the grabbing move by pressing :circle: button over and over again until they're all dead. Literally, there nothing else for me to say.
  • If you like to speed the killings up then use the Hyperion Charge (Air) :l1: + :circle: move against them. :whistle:
  • Upon successfully killing 10 Cursed Remains with grab, you'll clear the challenge.

Challenge of Athena 8 Video Guide:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqlzwG49UdY&feature=player_embedded]Challenge of Athena 8 Video Guide[/ame]

Edited by Blaze Naruto Shippuden
fixed typo on corn to 'corner'

The Challenge of the Gods can be unlocked by completing the game once. You must clear and complete both The Challenge of Ares and The Challenge of Athena. Ares has a total of 5 challenges while Athena has a total of 8 challenges making a total of 14 different challenges. Most of them are fairly easy, with the exception of a couple. One difficult one is “Unscathed,” which requires you to survive a few waves of enemies without getting hit. Below are the 14 challenges and how to go about clearing them. Special thanks goes towards PowerPyx for providing the PS3 version of the Challenge of Gods video guides.

5+8= 13, not 14 like you say. :D

On the first Athena challenge, (staying in the air) I was having trouble with it, I'd get them up in the air and keep hitting circle but after one or two the guy would just fall. Turns out!! I was holding the left analog stick down toward the guy and hitting circle. I let the left analog stick go and it worked like a charm. I was prob the only idiot doing this but I'd figure I'd let the rest of the world know. ONLY HIT CIRCLE WHILE YOUR AIRBORNE! lol.

Wow, the challenges were piss easy. I remember the ones in GoW1 causing me so much frustration.

I thought Unscathed would be really hard too, but I managed it the first time around. The challenge with the fire warriors in Chains on the other hand took almost forever for me. xD

First off - fantastic guide. Very clear, easy to follow and you'd have to be a really poor gamer to not complete the challenges as the instructions in this guide are excellent.

For the unscathed one - took me an hour to get. The only advice i can give aside from what's in the guide is TAKE YOUR TIME! I can't count how many times i died due to being impatient and trying to rush the challenge. You should never die on the first wave, most of the deaths should come from the 2nd wave but if you use the gorgon to freeze all the harpies, you should be fine.

Thanks again for the awesome guide :)

5 God of War plats, wonder if there will be any more!

Unscathed was the most difficult of all but it only took me 5 tries to get it. The secret is to get one of the two gorgons to circle and kill the other one, when the birds begin to spawn kill the :circle: gorgon with QTE, this will turn EVERYTHING into stone and die. There should be 1 gorgon and 3 birds left at this point, all you have to do then is to spam Scourge of Erinys :left: on a couple birds while you use :circle: to kill the other ones. As for the last part just spam :left: again and MAKE SURE to face them with the sheild and use :l1::circle: to charge and shatter them.

Unscathed was the most difficult of all but it only took me 5 tries to get it. The secret is to get one of the two gorgons to circle and kill the other one, when the birds begin to spawn kill the :circle: gorgon with QTE, this will turn EVERYTHING into stone and die. There should be 1 gorgon and 3 birds left at this point, all you have to do then is to spam Scourge of Erinys :left: on a couple birds while you use :circle: to kill the other ones. As for the last part just spam :left: again and MAKE SURE to face them with the sheild and use :l1::circle: to charge and shatter them.

lol that was the same strategy mentioned... :(

A question about difficulty of Challenge [as in Easy/Normal/Hard etc.].

I think on PSP the Challenge difficulty depended on difficulty on latest save file, or the one you finished game on. Is it the same on this too? If yes, then might be good idea to have a save on Easy before starting challenges, if you're struggling with them.

Can anyone confirm? I just started Hard Mode and will take some time before I unlock and can test it.

A question about difficulty of Challenge [as in Easy/Normal/Hard etc.].

I think on PSP the Challenge difficulty depended on difficulty on latest save file, or the one you finished game on. Is it the same on this too? If yes, then might be good idea to have a save on Easy before starting challenges, if you're struggling with them.

Can anyone confirm? I just started Hard Mode and will take some time before I unlock and can test it.

difficulty only effects the story and not challenges like all other GOW titles.

I'd like to provide an alternative method for Unscathed:

The method I came up with revolves around using the Arms of Sparta spear throw (:r1:+:square:).

When the cyclops appears, move to the opposite end of the arena and continually throw spears at him. You can move in and do the circle prompts when they appear, or you can hang back and continue to throw spears at him. Either way you will eventually kill him and move on to round 2.

When the gorgons appear, continue to throw spears. The spear hits have a small knockback, but usually enough to keep both of them back if you alternate between the two targets. However, if a gorgon gets close enough to initiate a gorgon stare, dodge roll away, move to the opposite side of the arena and continue to throw spears. You will eventually take out these gorgons and move on to round 3.

As soon as the Fire Harplets appear, use Scourge of Erinys to help thin them out. Continue to throw spears and take out the 3rd gorgon. WATCH YOUR FEET throughout this round, and look for the warning circle that a FH is about to attack. RUN around the arena until they have all come down, then alternate between Scourge of Erinys and attacks/spear throws to take the FH's out. I say RUN because dodge rolling slows you down toward the end of your roll, leaving you open to another FH's attack. Finish off the Fire Harplet's and move on to the 4th and final round.

Move to the 6-7 o'clock position on the stage (so you can see all of the enemies) and chuck spears at the Scyllia Broods as soon as they appear. Watch for when they will spit acid, and put your shield up. When you aren't attacking, keep your shield up AT ALL TIMES. They tend to spit at you one after another, and will stop for a while after they've all spit at you. Keep your shield up until they stop, and then use the Spartan Offensive (:l1:+:square:) on them to take them out quickly. Take your time and defend if you think a SB is going to spit at you. Once you wipe these ugly creatures out, you've cleared the challenge! Congrats! :dance:

I cleared this on my 4th try and I've beaten this challenge multiple times using this method. It's still not an easy challenge, but this method makes it easier. Hope this helps someone.

Disclaimer: I discovered this method on my own, and didn't read it in any other guide. If someone out there wrote a similar method before my post here, I will credit that person provided they can prove it.

Edited by phoenragon
added button icons