God of War Storyline

In trying to figure out which God of War I should play first, I was wondering where in the God of War storyline Chains of Olympus (and Ghost of Sparta for that matter) fall.

I would like to say I did try and google this, but every result that came up appeared to be a full explanation spoiling the story which I'm avoiding reading because I [sadly] never played any of the God of War games before and thus am still experiencing them for the first time.

Cheers, and thanks for your help :)

Edited by Backlash24

• 3 weeks later...

I would not recommend playing them "chronologically". It would be like viewing the Star Wars Saga for the first time by watching Episode I first... Just not how it's meant to be and would ruin plot points. Play them in the order they came out on PS3. GoW I, then II, then III, then CoO, then GoS. Playing CoO and GoS before would ruin some plot points...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The correct release order is as follows:

God of War (2005)

God of War II (2007)

God of War: Chains of Olympus (2008)

God of War III (2010)

God of War: Ghost of Sparta (2010)

This is the order they should be played in.

This is definitely the correct order... I was waiting for someone on this list to get it right. You should probably play the game in this order since this is the original order in which the games were released.

• 3 months later...

God of War (2005)

God of War II (2007)

God of War III (2010)

This. The game's are released in this order for a reason!

• 3 months later...

God of War (2005)

God of War II (2007)

God of War III (2010)

Thats the order they were released in but i think the story line goes

God of War (2005)

God of War II (2007)

God of War III (2010)

God of War :Ascension (2013)

But i could be mistake Chains of Olympus could be before God Of War but idk i think its after because he lands at the end where at the end of one he jumps and they bring him back up to be the new God Of War so i think it actually takes place just at the end of the first one.

Collipso

• 2 weeks later...
Thats the order they were released in but i think the story line goes

God of War (2005)

God of War II (2007)

God of War III (2010)

God of War :Ascension (2013)

Storyline is:

God of War: Ascension

God of War: Chains of Olympus

God of War

God of War: Ghost of Sparta

God of War II

God of War III

I recommend playing a game by release, actually I always recommend playing games by release order and playing them how they were meant to be played. GOW1- GOW 2 - GOW COO - GOW3 - GOW GOS. If you need another good reason remember plotlines may need to be known or left unknown and also the game quality (graphics, boss number, Item..) will steadily increase. You don't want to go from GOW3 to GOW 1 or than you might not enjoy GOW1.. so highly recommend release order, that's what I'm doing right now! On number 2 right now! (Saga)

I recommend playing a game by release, actually I always recommend playing games by release order and playing them how they were meant to be played. GOW1- GOW 2 - GOW COO - GOW3 - GOW GOS. If you need another good reason remember plotlines may need to be known or left unknown and also the game quality (graphics, boss number, Item..) will steadily increase. You don't want to go from GOW3 to GOW 1 or than you might not enjoy GOW1.. so highly recommend release order, that's what I'm doing right now! On number 2 right now! (Saga)

Well I owned GOW1 & 2 from the collectors edition but now I own the saga, and I played GOW1 & 2 Now COO & Ghost of Sparta now im playing Ascension then I will do 3 I want to do it in order of story line but I hade 2 from months ago so I fed that up lol but doing good plat all but 3 and ascension so far & idk about graphics because I think person Ghost of Sparta graphics are worst then that of Gow1 and there's a couple years between them lol but all in all I like story line its a shame I heard there will be no more Gow's.

Collipso

i did it completely out of order

god of war III

God of War

God of Ghost of Sparta

God of War II

God of War Ascension

God of War Chains of Olympus

Not going to Lie that is defiantly a strange order lol but hey it should of made for a good story line lol.

Collipso

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I've played the first God of War games (1-3) and now I'm on Chains of Olympus.

Even though there is a chronological order, there is no way you could start on Chains as the story is so weak to introduce you to the game. You'd already have had to have played the others to want to continue.

I understand that Ascension is the first, but to play that and then Chains I'd imagine would be quite horrible. Thats why I'm playing Chains, GoW, Ghosts of Sparta, GoW2, GoW 3 and then ending with Ascension.