God of War: Chains of Olympus ~ Challenge of Hades Guide

qdQv9OW.png

If this guide served your purpose and you feel obliged to join the forums, please feel free to give me a referral upon signing up.

Click here to sign up!

32.jpg

Piece of Cake (G)

Beat the Challenge of the Gods

Beating the Challenge of the Gods can be unlocked by completing the game once. You must clear and complete all of Hades challenges. This might be perhaps the hardest trophy to obtain in the entire game, especially challenges 3 and 4 since those are time limited against you. Below are the 5 challenges and how to go about clearing them. Special thanks goes towards PowerPyx for providing the PS3 version of the Challenge of Hades video guides.

Edited by Blaze Naruto Shippuden
Replaced Banner
  • Thanks 1

Challenge of Hades

Challenge 1:

Fiery Fate

Burn 50 soldiers with the Efreet. They all must die by fire!

Steps to complete challenge:

• Note that you have two chests which are both alternating versions of the health/magic orb chests. Make use of only the magic orb chest if needed.
  • Get surrounded by 5 Spartan soldiers
  • Upon gathering the Spartan soldiers press the :r1: + :triangle: buttons to summon Efreet and burn them by pressing the :circle: button repeatedly. You can also summon Efreet in the air by double jumping with :cross: and then pressing the :r1: + :triangle: buttons to have Efreet crash down upon the Spartan soldiers.
  • Kill every Cyclopes that spawn by using the melee attacks of the Gauntlet of Zeus. If a Cyclopes kills a Spartan solider then you'll fail the challenge.
  • Don't use any other type of attacks to kill the Spartans or you'll fail the challenge.
  • Upon successfully burning 50 Spartan soldiers to death, you'll clear the challenge and will unlock Challenge 2.

Challenge of Hades 1 Video Guide:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_TxeEl2c4]God of War: Chains of Olympus - Challenge 1 (Fiery Fate) - YouTube[/ame]

Challenge 2:

Perfection

Kill 20 Fire Guards without taking any damage.

• Fire Guards will attack you by running towards you and striking, or by performing leaping strikes with both swords.
  • Double jump away from them by pressing :cross: and then use the Gauntlet of Zeus's :l1: + :triangle: to perform the Olympic Thunder. This attack will damage all enemies within it's radius. Holding the :triangle: button will make your attack more powerful with increased range. This will also knock enemies away from you giving you more opportunities to attack or run around.
  • Alternatively you can simply run/roll around on the field and attack the Fire Guards with the :l1: + :square: to perform the Olympic Strike. This move will deliver a devastating blow that sends enemies flying back. Holding the :square: button will make your attack more powerful and devastating. This will also knock enemies away from you giving you more opportunities to attack or run around.
  • Upon successfully killing all 20 enemies without taking any damage, you'll clear the challenge and will unlock Challenge 3.

Challenge of Hades 2 Video Guide:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O-93_UFiS0&feature=player_embedded]God of War: Chains of Olympus - Challenge 2 (Perfection)[/ame]

Challenge 3:

Life is Short

You are losing health rapidly. Kill all your enemies to survive.

• Your health will be decreasing rapidly overtime. You must completely kill every enemy that spawns and they most vanish completely for it to count.
  • There are chain prisoners on the walls that you can kill to restore a small portion of your health. Make use of them only wisely.
  • The first enemy will be an Armored Minotaur. I suggest you spam the Gauntlet of Zeus's :l1: + :square: Olympic Strike attack to destroy the armor around him. Then melee attack and dodge his attacks until you're prompted to press the :circle: button against him. Do so because clearing the mini game will restore most of your lost health than killing him the normal way.
  • After killing the Minotaur, there will be a shit ton of never ending Harplings (the birds). The way you decide to go about killing these will decide on how much health you have left. I found the best way to go about killing these birds is to use the Gauntlet of Zeus's :l1: + :square: Olympic Strike attack against them. This move will deliver a devastating blow that will kill them in one hit, plus you'll kill two or more if they're lined up for your attack. Another thing to use while fighting them is the Magic attack Light of Dawn by pressing the :r1: + :square: buttons to attack the birds that are too far away from you. This magic attack will kill them in one hit to save you even more time and frustration. After killing the birds kill anybody left on the walls for health. Alternatively, you can spam the Erfeet summoning with the :r1: + :triangle: buttons to attack all surrounding enemies at the same time by pressing the :circle: button repeatedly. Then switch to the Blades of Chaos and spam the Spirit of Hercules attack by pressing the :triangle: + :triangle: + :triangle: buttons to kill birds from a range in only one hit.
  • The last opponents are the Death Knights. Do take note that killing a Death Knight will restore a small portion of health back. I highly suggest that you use the Gauntlet of Zeus's :l1: + :square: Olympic Strike attack against them right before they even completely spawn. It will only take three hits from the Gauntlet of Zeus's Olympic Strike attack to kill them. Holding the :square: button will make your attack even more powerful and will kill them with only one hit. Quickly kill all the Death Knights this way before your health is depleted. (Note the last Death Knight most completely vanish before your health stops depleting).
  • Upon successfully killing all your enemies to survive, you'll clear the challenge and will unlock Challenge 4.

Challenge of Hades 3 Video Guide:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrl6IjwePQM&feature=player_embedded]God of War: Chains of Olympus - Challenge 3 (Life is Short)[/ame]

Challenge 4:

Crunch Time

Break all of the objects before time runs out.

• Two things to keep in mind here. There are a total of 40 objects that you'll have to break and destroy. The last thing is that you're being time limited at a mere 60 seconds, so be fast and to not waste any time here.
  • I suggest using the Gauntlet of Zeus here for it's the most powerful weapon you have and it can destroy the normal objects within one hit.
  • When you start I recommend that you use the Efreet summoning magic by pressing the :r1: + :triangle: buttons to destroy 8 objects right off the bat and ignore pressing the :circle: button repeatedly to quickly end the summoning animation.
  • Make your around the outer areas of the field by destroying everything in your way as you run towards the objects. You can simple just spam the Gauntlet of Zeus's normal attacks on everything else if you wish because you'll still destroy everything extremely faster with it or you can either use the Olympic Thunder attack by pressing the :l1: + :triangle: buttons to try and destroy two or more objects at once.
  • Upon successfully breaking all of the objects before time runs out, you'll clear the challenge and will unlock Challenge 5.

Challenge of Hades 4 Video Guide:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6PKq5xoJkA&feature=player_embedded]God of War: Chains of Olympus - Challenge 4 (Crunch Time)[/ame]

Challenge 5:

Epic Brawl

Kill all your enemies

• If you completed the game on Spartan Mode then this challenge will be nothing towards you. There's no time limit and no possible way to fail this challenge except by dying or getting shattered while you're in stone status. Keep in mind that you have a health orb chest and a magic orb chest so make use of these two chests wisely.
  • The first opponents will be against the Cursed Harplings. Simply use the Gauntlet of Zeus's normal attacks against them to make quick work of them. While fighting the birds Fire Guards will start spawning along with the birds to attack you. Kill them along with the birds as you normally would.
  • The next phase will be against the Medusa (Gorgon Queens) along with more Fire Guards. It's best to quickly kill the Medusa as fast as possible for they will be trying to turn you into stone for a one hit kill from the Fire Guards attacks if they manage to hit you while you're turned into stone. I suggest dodging by using the :rs: button and when given the right perfect chance to attack everyone. Jump into the air with :cross: and use the Gauntlet of Zeus's Olympic Thunder by pressing the :l1: + :triangle: buttons to damage and knock every enemy back and repeat the jumping attack again towards the Medusa to kill her much faster. Rinse and repeat until you enter the next phase.
  • The next opponents are the Cyclopes which are surprisingly easy to kill with the Gauntlet of Zeus's normal attacks. They will go down in about six hits each.
  • After the Cyclopes have been defeated the Medusa enemies will spawn again and then Fire Guards and back to the Cursed Harplings birds. You should have no trouble after facing them for the last final phases. Remember that you can use the two chests if you're in need of health and magic replenishing.
  • Upon successfully killing all your enemies, you'll clear the challenge and will unlock your trophy.

Challenge of Hades 5 Video Guide:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUj8SIgfjf0&feature=player_embedded]God of War: Chains of Olympus - Challenge 5 (Epic Brawl)[/ame]

Edited by Blaze Naruto Shippuden
  • Thanks 1

Challenge 3 is killing me right now.

And the main reason why is the 10 second pause between the minataur dying and teh birds coming, and then the pause between all the birds being dead and the knights....

That extra time where nothing is spawning is killing me here.

So far I have killed 2 Knights - One time. Died while the third was coming out of the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

I only needed the guide for challenge 4.I played it about 50 times and finally succeed with 0 seconds left! Now thats luck!! Here is what i did:

1)Immediately when start USE efreet but do not push circle

2)then start CLOCKWISE course from LEFT of the BIG STATUE by destroyIng the 2 MEDUSA HEADS IN THE AREA(both left of the big statue).

3)You will have to use GAUNTLET OF ZEUS all the time: jump once, hold L1 and triAngle to charge.DO NOT DOUBLE JUMP AS IT TAKES MORE TIME.YOU WANT TO LAND THE HIT BETWEEN THE MEDUSA HEADS and move on so the next hit lands nearby and not at the exact same spot.REMEMBER TO MOVE ON.

4)You will have to destroy 4-5 of the small objects simply by hitting WITHOUT JUMPING.

If you do well you will have 1-5 seconds spare!

One more thing.Congrats on the programmers for challenge 2.This challenge and a couple from gow2 redefined gaming.

http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/10/louk76.png

Edited by louk76

• 4 weeks later...

The guide was exactly what it was meant to be, a "Guide", after being frustrated on challenge 2, may be I was expecting more of a walkthrough. Anyway, I thought I'll list my strategies here to help reduce someone's frustration. This is rather a walkthrough.

(Controls are for PS3, as I played it on the Origins collection.)

Challenge 1 (Fiery Fate):

- The guide pretty much says it all. Just round up the soldiers and burn them with efreet, pounding (for upgraded efreet) may be required only if few spartans are left outside the radius. They'll most probably come inside the radius while efreet pounds on the ground.

Challenge 2 (Perfection): The most annoying and patience testing challenge.

- The usual suggested methods of using Olympic Strike(L1+[]) and Olympic Thunder(L1+/\) did not work for me, there was always one spartanready to jump near the area where Kratos lands, ending the challenge in failure. That was like relying too much on luck.

My strategy was:

- Pick the soldier spawning nearest to you, with fully upgraded Gauntlet of Zeus, he should be dead in four shots, before other spartans even approach you.

- For others, switched to Blades of Chaos, to maintain distance. Run around the perimeter, once near bottom(towards camera)-left, ensuring we can see all 5 spartans, start Plume of Prometheus, that should hit at least two spartans into air, pick one of them and play around with grab button (O). Repeat till all the spartans are dead. Now and then, you can go for 2-4 hits, not being greedy.

- Using button prompt on wounded spartans is sometimes dangerous, as by the time I finished the quick-time event, other 4 would have rounded me up. Had to be absolutely ready to roll, once I regained control after quick-time event. And be ready to parry if required.

- This method takes about 10 minutes to complete this way, and definitely causes less frustration. :)

Challenge 3 (Life is Short): Little easier than previous one.

- Minotaur is the first. Use three blasts of fully upgraded Light of Dawn to completely break his armour. You should be done by the time he completely spawns. Get ready to face the bull charge, evade and start hitting with Gauntlet of Zeus till you get the prompt on him, use quicktime to finish him instead of normal kill to gain some precious health.

- Next for the birds. There will maximum be 6 birds at a time. So, wait for all 6 of them to spawn, avoid getting hit by their charged swoops meanwhile, stay in the middle and use the efreet to burn them down at once (R1+/\). Don't bother pounding if they all are within the radius. If you have not wasted magic on the minotaur, you will have sufficient to use the efreet 4 times. Wasting some and using it 3 times may make all the difference between success and failure.

- Last are the knights. The moment you see them spawning, or even before they appear, start charging your Olympic Strike(L1+[]). Adjust your direction while charging, and get a one hit kill. Repeat for other two.

- All the while keep the prisoners readily accessible.

- You should survive for few seconds even after killing the last knight till the You survived message appears. Once I died once after killing the last knight.

Challenge 4 (Crunch Time): Easier than previous one.

- Use Efreet as soon as you get the control at the starting position. Don't pound as there are no moving enemies here.

- Move towards the left of the huge statue, and place yourself in the middle of objects, most probably near to a solidified man. Use efreet, then clear the objects on the wall ,the smaller spearmen statues and medusas. Hitting in the middle of statue and medusa will most likely cause both of them to break simultaneously saving a lot of precious time.

- Move some distance anticlockwise, and repeat the procedure above, clearing a quarter area everytime.

- Finally you will arrive at the big statue, about 5 seconds on the clock would suffice to finish the challenge just in time. I had 8 secs remaining.

Challenge 5 (Epic Brawl): (Easy if you avoid getting hit, lots of enemies to take advantage of every slip-up)

- First are the birds, use the regular Gauntlet of Zeus attack([]).

- Once the spartans start appearing, get close and grab them, repeat the procedure till he's dead. Pick the next spartan. Repeat till all the spartans are dead. You'll again be left with birds, finish them as you did earlier.

- Now medusas will spawn, together with spartans. Finish the medusa spawning closest to you before anyone else approaches you. Then look for spartans and catch them. While grabbing them medusa's gaze will have no effect on you. Repeat till all spartans are covered. Deal with the medusas using normal hits or other ways avoiding the gaze all the time. Killing them with quicktime event will restore some of the magic you might have used by now.

- If you are low on health, don't bother opening the chest now as next are cyclops and they are literally piece of cake with the Gauntlet of Zeus. About 6 hits or so and they kneel down restoring health meanwhile. Deal with all 4 of them.

- Next up are medusas with spartans, deal with them just like earlier, after a short break during which you can use the health chest, birds with spartans will be back for the last time.

- Efreet can be used with birds and spartans if facing difficulty, because medusas will supply some of it again. And there's a chest too if required.

Hope this helps.

Edited by samirbvr

• 2 weeks later...
Double jump away from them by pressing and then use the Gauntlet of Zeus's + to perform the Olympic Thunder. This attack will damage all enemies within it's radius. Holding the button will make your attack more powerful with increased range. This will also knock enemies away from you giving you more opportunities to attack or run around.

Nice and very powerful, but instead of Olympic Thunder, developers made L1+Triangle - Frustrating Shield up and Die move :)

Challenge 2 is retardedly easy, what's the big deal? Use the gauntlets. Run away until you're looking at all 5. Charge Square, and then do a full charged Square x3 combo. The hits have enough range that they will hit more than 1 at a time, and if all 3 connect on a single guard (or multiple guards), they die. Roll if it looks like one is going to hit you. Rinse and repeat. You can pretty much cancel the end of the roll into a charge, which means you can instantly counter the guard that attacked you and kill it.

You can either use the 3 charged hits to punch through the middle of the pack and run away, or shave them down 1 by 1.

Took me a few tries due to the camera being annoying (if it was zoomed out slightly more, the game would be a lot easier) and me insisting on taking stupid risks on isolated guards, but the strategy is sound.

Edit: For the harpies in whatever it is challenge they appear in (3? 5?), the gauntlet's L1+Square attack is a pretty solid hit that knocks them down and can hit more than 1 at a time if you aim it right. I found that easier than trying to chase them down.

Edited by Akari

• 3 weeks later...

The challenge where you have to destroy all the objects is much easier if you destroy the things in the centre using the Blades of Chaos, by pressing and holding the square button. This move covers a circular area and every object it touches is destroyed in one hit. It's much faster than anything else mentioned here.

Then you just have to go around the periphery with the Gauntlet of Zeus. I had 3 seconds spare when I completed this challenge.

Edited by TurboSquirrel

Good guide. I found that for Challenge 2, running around the satyrs helps a lot. You won't get hit as long as you don't run into them, as they will target the spot behind you. You can make them bunch up chasing you, then unleash the :l1: + :triangle: or :square: fury to hit most of them at the same time. Then repeat till they're all dead.